Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Didn't that get revealed as a botnet blast overnight? Like, as soon as Harris dropped her busing bomb, the botnet deployed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Malachi Constant posted:

Although nowadays Canada invading us to liberate concentration camps seems like the sort of thing I'd nod at and go on with my day.

Don't threaten me with a good time, they eliminated pennies and they're still 1-0 all time against us

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

This guy shows up to every DC Trumpfest and he’s doing it to get photos. He’s a literal trigger-man.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It gets difficult not to consider declaring asylum at the northern border.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

What would make me happy is if this, of all things, led to Trump’s impeachment. Defying SCOTUS finally giving Pelosi a spine to go for it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
If you can’t withstand this world without substance abuse, you clearly haven’t found peace within your own soul.

America has a substance abuse problem, mostly because America has a coping problem, and man alive the last few years haven’t helped. It’s all survivable though.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ershalim posted:

I don't know if I'd call it that. America has a lot of quality-of-life problems that aren't addressed, or are paved over with the overworking and exploitation of vulnerable people. "Coping" is something that we aren't good at, sure, but there's a lot of people whose situations are so bad that "coping" isn't going to help them with it. For a lot of people: it's work until you break, then die and hope you don't bring down anyone you care about.

Our systemic issues aren't ones people need to be better at feeling okay with, they're things we need to smash.

Of course. That said, what systemic issues will substance use / abuse solve? And on the other end, what good will you do if you’re only looking at overall systemic issues instead of smaller and more personal issues? You’ll go mad if you pursue either extreme.

I’ll say this - the anarchist and anti fascist groups I’ve met over the years are legitimately fantastic at checking up on people. No one is allowed to drive themselves mad for the cause. Finding that inner balance is vital to deal with the world in general; when the heavy lifting of the moment comes, its good to have an ally reminding you that you’re only one human and you’re not being expected to do it all.

And a lot of this is coming from my own world of being clean/sober in a town that’s anything but. The ones who are using chemicals of any form to cope are usually the ones not coping at all, just turning the car stereo up to mask their own insanity. It’s important to allow ourselves to not be okay for a moment, then accept ourselves and move toward the next goal.

This isn’t at all what anyone was talking about, but it’s on my mind every day. Donald Trump can’t steal my sobriety, and can’t none of y’all steal my sanity without my consent. Drink Iced Tea And Tell Jokes Every Day

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ershalim posted:

This is good advice. It's not practical for a lot of subsistence level employees, but it's something I think we should strive for. In addition to smashing the system, I mean. I just think that there's a problem with forced positivity (which is what I thought you were going for) because it makes it easy to gloss over systemic problems as personal ones. It's very common for otherwise well-meaning people to say, "oh, well just don't let it bother you so much" and then think they've done something helpful. But this will easily go into a big dumb side-track about mental health and modern slacktivism being actively harmful, so ...

Here's Kurt Eichenwald saying aggressive things we should do that we won't do.
https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/1148354099496280064

Yeah, we're on the same track I think. :) It's less "don't let it bother you so much" and more "allow it to bother you, let it be valid, so you can process it and let it pass through you instead of retaining it and breaking you." If you're not doing mental/emotional health spot checks, you're asking for trouble at some point down the line.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

iced tea is caffeinated :ohdear:

HYDRATE EVERY DAY YOU FOOL

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Mendrian posted:

I work in service and when I say people abuse noted non illicit substance caffine, i mean. We're talking 2 or 3 redbulls per day, giant rear end coffees multiple times per day, espresso shots in between.

I can't speak for other industries but the pressure to constantly be 100% all the time is very real, even admitting that you feel tired without any noticble behavioral slips is considered a weakness.

I’ve met those people in the entertainment circuit too. A lot of them have or had a coke addiction. Caffeine comes up a lot, but it doesn’t do the job once you’re older. The ones who survive are the ones who discover cardio instead.

The freelance world has a lot of that Never Tired Keep Grinding alpha attitude. The union world knows that life is very long and preserves their bodies as best they can, because a new guy, an alpha type with bad habits, will probably get them hurt on accident. So we protect each other, we call out bad habits, and the survivors retire with a good pension and a sigh of relief.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Source4Leko posted:

Yea just lol at thinking FIFA has any sway at all here. Nobody here gives a gently caress, we play the World Series against teams from only our country (and Canada) lol.

FIFA will move the World Cup to Kazakhstan and bar both USNTs from every tournament. They do not play about government interference in national federations. Manchin is potentially doing more damage to the USWNT than any other politician on Earth right now.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Taerkar posted:

FIFA desperately wants to get into the US market because of the cash cow that is the US viewership.

They’ve already got it. We consume huge quantities of football from other countries and every international tournament. And FIFA would absolutely delight in sending a gently caress you to America.

EwokEntourage posted:

The us government indicted like 15 people and got blatter removed from office in 2015, and then got the host for 2026 like 2 years later. They’re not going to do poo poo, especially when a cry baby trump controls the most powerful agency in the world (treasury department) and could easily put the screws to the rest of the corruption in fifa.

Consider the idea that Trump would do more than tweet and that this administration could manage to influence any country to do anything. This is the one fight where FIFA might even be considered the good guys. 2015 America can do things. 2019 America would be told to get hosed.

Tayter Swift posted:

gently caress'em. If FIFA balks at the US trying to institute pay disparity then we shouldn't be a member.

poo poo if anything the women's team should be paid more given that they (a) actually qualified for (not alone won) their world cup, (b) are more successful in general and (c) are I believe* more popular in the US than the men's team, largely on account of (b)

* Talking out my rear end on this one.

It’s not about gender pay disparity. It’s about a government interfering in the affairs of a national football program. There’s good reasons for that kind of protection, usually involving money laundering, occasionally involving discrimination. They ban nations for good reasons.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 10, 2019

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

To clarify for those not following along: after the mass shooting in Virginia Beach, Northam called the General Assembly back into session to address gun violence. He proposed a raft of bills, most of them aimed squarely at the "milquetoast but nonzero improvement in the status quo" window, like universal background checks and allowing local governments to ban guns in their government buildings, something the state already does. A couple of the most milquetoast of these bills actually managed to pick up one or two Republican supporters, mostly from the Virginia Beach area, enough to pass them in both narrowly-divided chambers of the Assembly. The usual gambit here for the Precambrian liches in charge of the legislature, like in Congress, is to bury such bills in a hostile committee so they never see the floor to begin with. That's sort of what everyone had expected to happen-- bunch of committee meetings, everyone gets to pound their desk, some impassioned floor speeches, the GA passes something useless that nobody really likes or cares about and then we all go home with some fresh sound bites in our pockets, and if all the stars align maybe we get literally the most lukewarm gun legislation passed that does nothing but makes everyone feel better.

That's not what happened.

The Republicans in charge of the legislature (by one vote apiece, mind you, and by a loving hat locally-produced ceramic bowl pull in the case of the House Speaker) adjourned the session after less than two hours. This may be the first time I've ever seen them turn down a chance to rabble-rouse about the liberals taking your guns. I'm still processing what happened, but my instinct is that they fear that they've already squeezed all of the fear they can out of the NRA crowd, and beating the drum only motivates their opponents more. So they just... shut the whole thing down rather than take the risk.

Definitely give the article I linked a read if you're interested in what went down, the Virginia Mercury is a non-profit news agency that does really good politics reporting and doesn't pull its punches. Worth noting is that one of the Democrats really involved in the push for new regulations was Delegate Chris Hurst of Roanoke, who was present when his girlfriend, reporter Alison Ward, was shot to death while on air.

This is such an amazing thing. The sight of them going NOPE and booking it for the hills is gonna sink them in Virginia Beach, and with the redrawn maps, 2019 could complete the pendulum swing from 2017 entirely. For people who wrote Northam’s move as an empty political stunt, he sure got one hell of a visual out of it.

“You’re all coming to work to do something, anything.” “Get hosed, I’m outta here”

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

not entirely sure why these cities don't refuse to provide security details and poo poo.

The alternative is having a riot break out and people getting killed.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Angry_Ed posted:

Probably becqause it's an incredibly bad look for them if something bad happens as a result, plus do you really want Trump to call up his war criminal buddy Erik Prince to supply Academi mercenaries for his fascist rallies?

Also this. You want to see National Guard call ups for this?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

This is a great episode of Breaking Bad.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i don't really remember this guy but he seems good

Center left NoVA guy. He’s good when it matters.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Trump isn’t flashing codes. He doesn’t know how. He just says poo poo that’s on his mind. Stop looking for signs of codes when dude just says racist poo poo.

Fucks sake guys.

Prester Jane posted:

Your counter argument here fundamentally misunderstand how narcissists operate, and how sociopaths in the orbit of a narcissist manipulate them. Stephen Miller doesn't need "control" over Trump- that just isn't how this game is played at all.

Stephen Miller just needs to take Trump aside and convinced Trump that doing this particular thing will result in Trump receiving more narcissistic Supply. It isn't any more complicated than that, it doesn't require a master's thesis in 4th dimensional chess or some ability to control a chaotic individual.

Stephen Miller is just telling a drug addict where to go get more drugs, that's all he needs to do here.

As far as evidence- talk to literally anyone who has dealt with narcissists on a personal or professional level. This form of manipulation is extraordinarily basic to how narcissistic individuals operate.

He also didn’t come up with the symbol himself, and he doesn’t tell us how clever he is for inventing it. Doing the white power symbol doesn’t occur to him. Hanlon’s Razor, PJ.

Your Boy Fancy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 23, 2019

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Skippy McPants posted:

Looking forward to all the hot takes from people aghast at the details that come out today even though every single thing Mueller says will be from the month's old report, but nobody paid attention to that because lol at reading 400+ pages.

Which, of course, is the point of this exercise. People need this spoon fed to them.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

umbrage posted:

So what makes it loving physically impossible for Democrats to just scream conspiracy theories for their five minutes and make Muller look like a coward like the Republicans can? How is there so much loving asymmetry here?

I feel like a Facebook policy violation contractor here -- Dems can rules-lawyer all day and I just start falling asleep. Yet even though I know Matt Gaetz is 100% completely full of poo poo, but he still somehow manages to trigger my lizard brain to start believing him.

It's like Muller is a loving backboard, and this is just dogs dunking every five minutes, forever.

So what you’re saying is that you’re susceptible to propaganda tactics instead of rational analysis? Good to be self reflective.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
They’ve flat out proved that federal charges will be brought on Citizen Trump on 1/20/21. That is quite something.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ershalim posted:

I wish that's what it meant. That's all very much "could," rather than "would." It's the opposite of the stupid thing they're trying to do, but it's unlikely that the feds would prosecute after the fact. If he's not impeached, he's gonna skate (unless state charges get him).

You’re assuming people will let this slide, or that states will let this slide in the case of a pardon.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ershalim posted:

Yes, I am. History backs me up on that.

Past isn’t always predictive. Bet you :tenbux: I’m right.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

I am at work and cannot watch but the feeling I’m getting from this thread is I need to try to kill my liver with alcohol this weekend

Not necessarily. A Republican managed to get Mueller to confirm that charges can be brought on Trump once he’s not president, and media is SPRINTING with that.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

Looking forward to his thrashing about in November 2020-January 2021 in anticipation, if he even understands anything at all at that point.

What I really want to know is why does Trump keep calling Mueller conflicted, corrupt, and having a bad reputation, then turning around and saying Mueller exonerated him?

The fingers of his mind are too greasy to grasp objective reality.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

Which was always true and honestly was true with GWB also. I don't mean to be pessimistic, but don't be surprised that even if a Dem takes over in 2021, we'll need to "move on as a nation" or some poo poo and nothing happens.

Past isn’t necessarily predictive. The last 4 years have been a long, National scream. It can’t be swept under as easily as you think.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

Well, you have more faith in the system and your fellow humans than I do.

Without hope, you cannot start the day.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

Shows what you know! You know that show you watch that turned to poo poo long ago but you hate watch it anyway out of spite? That's how I start most days and the world is my show that went to poo poo.

Go outside then. I’ve met people who’ve gone from the fire barrel to home ownership. Unlovable bastards becoming pillars of their communities. Arrogant pricks made repentant. Go outside. Change the channel of your perspective.

Ershalim posted:

The celebration is that community effort was effective at curbing the damage of a fascist organization. None of this is going to be pretty or fun. If you can't take any pride or satisfaction in harm reduction, you're gonna have a bad time.

For instance.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

nine-gear crow posted:

“We ask our Democratic members to limit their time to five minutes.” / [lets Republicans rant for 20 minutes each]

That hasn’t happened all morning.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

scuz posted:

The republicans all sound like Glenn Beck with their lines of questioning. Just conspiracy theory bullshit. This timeline is so dumb.

But apparently because it pings lizard brains we’re all doomed or something

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're saying this like it isn't what anyone with a functioning brain would do.

If you believe this in your heart, you would be storming the Capitol.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yes actually, there is - depending on what is at stake.

More than 2000 people were saved because people decided not to give up.

So if you aren’t going to join the fight, if you aren’t going to support the fight, then shut up and get out of our way.

Basically this. As long as we’re breathing, there’s work to be done.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Willie Tomg posted:

What fight? What way? Where are you going?

There is a grassroots insurgent left across the nation and the DNC and DCCC are their biggest opponents ably aided by the same media flogging this narrative that The System would be fine if it werent for the perfidious and wily Slav.

“Democrats are such controlled opposition and have such learned helplessness”

*exudes learned helplessness whenever asked to put good into the world*

You were just loving told that 2,000 families were targeted by ICE raids, and activism is universally credited for keeping the numbers down to 35 individuals. That fight, that way, and we’re going forward. Get into your community and do something you’ll be proud you were part of.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Useful hearing. They’re laying the case down. It’s not happening at the speed we want, but it’s happening. They’re gonna drum impeachment proceedings through the House for a year, and vote to conclude in late October, and I’m going to laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know what you guys were watching, but this hearing was p good. Impeachment went from a “fringe far left” thing to every Democratic member in that committee all but saying yes we need to do this. It’s no longer just a thing the Squad and Co. are saying anymore.

Exactly. The case has been made.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Junior G-man posted:

So if I'm reading the Guardian summary right:

This was all a big fat nothing and general waste of time?

That’s a hell of a conclusion unless you were working backwards. Those last two or three bullet points are about penetrating the public consciousness in a way it hasn’t previously.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

It means Chuck Todd buys into the Sleepy Mueller thing from the morning

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dog Friday posted:

The right appear to be seeing this hearing as a major Republican victory

The right cannot fail. They can only be failed.

And if they did fail, they were cheated.

They’re basically wrestling heels.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
John Ratcliffe is trying very hard to join the FoxCU. Even knowing from this morning that he can’t ask about Steele, that chicken ain’t fuckin’ itself

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's auditioning for director of national intelligence.

That’s Nunes, I know you think nothing matters but please keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's fine to believe that things can become better, but, as is the case with many things, the first step is understanding the actual problem. A belief that the status quo will succeed in addressing these problems, or that it is on a trajectory to changing such that it can, isn't just useless - it's outright harmful.

If you’re going to quote the program, get it right. It’s admitting your powerlessness over the situation, and that life as it stands has become unmanageable. And the vast majority of the world doesn’t buy into that. Nor can you, as an outsider from someone else’s consciousness, enforce that belief upon others. They have to approach you with the concern. That’s why there isn’t a general strike today, and why there won’t be there tomorrow - the sense of Change We Must Or Die We Will hasn’t permeated yet.

Not to mention the Higher Power in the theoretical second step ain’t about to be universally accepted by all.