Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

and it's pretty loving ridiculous that it is. a random bar worker spitting in the president's (grown adult) son's face isn't some assault. these fuckers shouldn't even have secret service protection.

Can't agree with this at all. Spitting in people's faces is clearly assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're calling the cops if someone spits in your face?

Nobody has ever spit in my face. I imagine if someone spit in my face that I would be so loving shocked and angry that I have no idea what I'd actually do. If I was somehow able to remain level headed, I'd call the cops. If I lost my temper, I'd probably either punch them in the face or tackle them.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I mean like maybe face-spitting culture is way different up here in Canada, but I don't think anyone I've ever met would really disagree with what I wrote. Spit in the face is so disgusting to me that I would rather someone punches me. I honestly have a difficult time believing that people don't think that spit in the face isn't worthy about calling the cops.

Edit for duck tax

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Does anyone have information on what makes forgiving student debt a good idea? I do indeed think it is, even though I don't have any, but I need some talking points or at least some resources when I come across people who throw their arms up about the whole thing and complain about millennials wanting their debt erased.

It's better (economically and morally) for poorer people to have and be able to spend money than banks.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeah it's starting to get real annoying that the media seems to treat people like SHS as an opponent at a sport rather than the mouthpiece of a fascist. The only passably acceptable reason to want to have drinks with her would be to hope she drunkenly leaks some poo poo you can use.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Maybe I'm just getting to the "need a politics break" of the loop but the past couple weeks seem like we are heading towards another civil war as government just stops working because of one side and the other side does jack poo poo about it. It's really freaking me out

It's probably more likely that you're just heading to 30 or more years of Republican stranglehold on government

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

oxsnard posted:

Nah, y'all are way too pessimistic here. GOP control through things like like gerrymandering is only on the margins. I posted this in the primaries thread, but it bears repeating: every presidential election cycle for then next few decades, 20 million Americans turn 18, while 6-10 million boomers die off.

GOP control of congress through gerrymandering, maybe. But GOP control of Senate, and therefore the SCOTUS and the rest of the federal judiciary? A SCOTUS stranglehold is essentially a stranglehold on the government.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another video of a reasonable cop doing reasonable things in a time when racism in America is no longer a problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9SZlypyK-4

To be fair to the cop those garbage clamps are incredibly sturdy weapons which wouldn't immediately fall apart on impact

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bakanogami posted:

Abolishing the filibuster in the chamber in which the Democrats have an inherent disadvantage due to tiny rural states getting equal representation to CA/NY seems like a remarkably short sighted idea, and is predicated on her not only winning but winning the senate as well.

Ok well her doing literally anything at all is probably predicated on both of those things.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I mean I honestly couldn't fault the Dems for failing to stop the Trump concentration camps, because they really do have very little power over it. But to see them just... not try, especially after the photos of the dead kid and crowded camps, is pretty disgusting.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Spoke Lee posted:

How does law enforcement work wrt CBP? If the local DA has evidence of child abuse and neglect, could they have a guard charged? Assuming one of these camps are in an area with a non poo poo DA.

I mean anyone can be charged, but I presume the US gov would argue that State governments have no jurisdiction over federal law enforcement and then it would go all the way up to SCOTUS if it's already not been decided

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Flapjack Monty posted:

ICE has a list of camps on their website and there was a list of companies contracted to manage/furnish/etc these camps earlier in the thread, but at this point you could burn whatever you feel like and you'd probably be making the world a better place.

Just be aware that at some point they're probably going to start shooting people for doing that

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Martian posted:

Does this mean that in the USA you can be convicted twice, state and federal, for a single crime?

No, because under dual sovereignty doctrine, the state and federal crimes count as separate crimes. Thank you Opening Arguments

edit for cat tax

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 28, 2019

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I'm not exactly sure it's the same people but for a thread where the general consensus was that assaulting the far right is good, there are sure a lot of people who seem to want to deny that it ever happens. Putting alt right wingers in the hospital is something that a lot of people in here have zealously advocated for.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Respect that, or expect to get smashed, no exceptions for journalists. If you want a story, write it, accept you don't get video or pictures and don't write names and physical descriptions.

Ok, well what you are saying is that antifa is violent and is, and should be, doing the same things to journalists that Trump has done/threatened. I honestly don't see how you don't get that a violent escalation cannot possibly help the left in this situation.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

pseudanonymous posted:

I just flat out do not believe these people any more until I see multiple independent sources confirming it. Remember the "violent protestors" at Tucker Carlson's house? Oh right it turned out they peacefully stood on a sidewalk and pointed out he's a piece of poo poo. For all we know this guy staged the attack and found a sympathetic hospital. They absolutely do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Even if he's lying (probably) , there are literally people in this thread advocating for violence and even one person defending violence against journalists.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Every antifascist thing I’ve read says that yes, violence is necessary, because violence (or the threat of violence) is inherent in the system. I.e. the cops will violently evict you for not paying your rent, etc. Nobody claims that antifascism is inherently non-violent.

Antifa should not be attacking reporters as that other guy defended

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

it's one the right will drive a loving splitting maul straight into.

They are just going to start shooting more people and it's going to be impossible to convict them

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I hope you weren't complaining about that reporter being body slammed

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Unoriginal Name posted:

are you suggesting that Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson should not be punched in the face

Yeah because I don't like crimes. Also it would only motivate them and their base more and get actual sane left people killed.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

just kneel, and trust the Dodge Charger will stop before it hits you. because after all.

you're being so good to the fascists.

they'll respect you now, right.

Maybe you should think about this and realize that committing violence against journalists and anyone else gives them an actual legal reason to use force against you and is likely to get more people killed.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

I explained in the post why that is different. If you cannot understand the fears of activists, based in decades of state violence aided by the media, then we really have no common cause. This is basic direct action stuff.

I understand the fears of activists. It gives them no right to attack someone for taking pictures.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Police happily wield legal violence against protestors and minorities without consequence already my dude. They don't need a 'valid' excuse.

And you seem to think that is a problem you would like to escalate rather than solve.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm genuinely mystified as to why you think submitting to violence somehow solves it. It sure hasn't so far.

Maybe because you can only think in terms of violence or submission.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Unoriginal Name posted:

My God, imagine Tucker Carlson using violent protesters to motivate further violence

you dumbass

I guess they should have beat the poo poo out of him like everyone here seems to think, so that reporters would stop talking so poorly about antifa

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Sundae posted:

Quick reminder: You and everyone else are responding in earnest to someone with a -28,000 post-count. Do with that fact what you will.

Only some sort of troll would believe that beating up people for taking photos is bad.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

cr0y posted:

Am I missing the significance even if it was concrete? Lol are they afraid they are going to be milkshake intombed or something?

Concrete is caustic. It's also really loving obvious if you put it in milk.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Exactly, they're trying to get more leftist protesters killed.

They clearly are, but the people in here claiming the left should be beating up people who take photos will have the same effect

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Did anyone say this outside of your fevered imagination? The worst I've heard is THIS PARTICULAR rear end in a top hat was taking pictures for a nefarious purpose and deserved what he got

Yeah earlier someone was arguing that journalists were not exempt from being beat up by recording antifa events.

Someone else was arguing that the left was, and should be, a violent movement.

I'll try to find them later on when I'm not on mobile if you actually care enough for it to matter in the slightest

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Spoke Lee posted:

Reducing it to "just pictures" is disingenuous. It's not just pictures when they are being taken by large media hostile to your group or actual collaborators embedded and participating in the crimes of your opponent. They are gathering evidence to identify protesters and activists for law enforcement and hate groups (same thing tbh) to target.

Great well when reports come out that the left is beating up the alt right and the reporters who cover it don't complain when the public sentiment for antifa turns to poo poo

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Oh yeah I should have realized that my opinion that you shouldn't be able to beat up reporters is invalid because I'm also so crazy that I think spitting in someone's face should be illegal

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

^ Ah, I wasn't sure how to read it. It looked like another one of those stupid 9/11 chickenwire kerosene fire type demonstrations

Remember what this poster was defending. That punching this guy was too excessive.

Sir, you can take your bullshit and get the gently caress out of here.

Actually it was more that violence against reporters taking pictures at antifa rallies is wrong

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Katt posted:

Is this an alternate universe where the victim was a journalist?

Well considering that there were people in this very thread literally advocating for violence specifically against journalists, if they take photos of antifa, I think it's fine to discuss it

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

SocketWrench posted:

There was ONE person you loving liar

So first of all, the entire thread defended that ONE person.

When I criticized that ONE person who advocated specifically for it, I got responses like "Every antifascist thing I’ve read says that yes, violence is necessary, because violence (or the threat of violence) is inherent in the system. I.e. the cops will violently evict you for not paying your rent, etc. Nobody claims that antifascism is inherently non-violent." and a bunch of other defenses of violence against reporters.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Retweeted by Joe Rogan. No context on what happened before. 5 million people are going to be exposed to this without any idea what might have led to this.

https://twitter.com/Lucet_Veritas/status/1145348576710709249

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 1, 2019

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Welp it looks like the people who were shouting that "concentration camps invariably become death camps" are going to have a huge example of exactly that if those people are kept there for much longer. I wonder what the actual number of deaths at the camps is.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I know they're pretty terrible for working on that poo poo, but it still sucks that poo poo like this is legal

https://twitter.com/StephenGutowski/status/1145805630017589254

Couldn't a case be made that they're being coerced to sign an contract and void it? NDAs do not pay for health insurance so this is pretty clearly extortion.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah that was always a blatant lie that they were spinning so that the decision couldn't be appealed if they won.

Was the census deadline actually brought up in front of the SCOTUS? I have a small hope that the next time this case makes it back there that they'll be pissed off about being overtly lied to

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Piell posted:

I called this like 15 minutes after the Supreme Court decision came down last week.

Yes, that ruling and this news today is about the biggest win that's likely to happen during the Trump admin. I'd love for Trump to be dragged out of the White House in cuffs or a straight jacket, but (even temporarily) preventing this census question from further ruining minority representation is huge.

Conversely, the gerrymandering loss in the SCOTUS is almost equally as huge, but is probably going to be dwarfed by what we're going to see in the next year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Meridian posted:

I have had otherwise reasonable people try to down play the deaths that have been reported so far, and it amazes me that they can't see how rapidly this is escalating.

It is horrifying.

It's probably a lot to with the normalcy bias and the fact that reasonably people think something like the Holocaust is so loving bad that someone would do something before it got to that point.

edit: Bird murder tax