Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kchama posted:

I'm going to keep posting these until someone reads them!

I have read every word you've posted in this thread, friend. I can no longer tell if I hate you or myself more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

What would you get if you moored ships in a bay full of oysters, and then maybe went to get the shiny things out of the oysters

Why, with all those sailors you'd get a pearl necklace! :v:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Read my fanfic

Why yes, I'd love more Freespace fanfic.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

H Beam Piper wrote stuff across a range of topics, but outside of Little Fuzzy (which I loathe and since it isn't mil-scifi I won't discuss it anymore here) most of his work has a libertarian slant in various degrees that aged questionably. Cosmic Computer and Space Viking are definitely from the same well of "Main character massively succeeds thanks to their nonconventional Libertarian leadership" writing.

I've been thinking about discussing different forms of written mil-scifi space combat (stasis bubble vs stasis bubble chicken, David Weber missile vs missile barrages, synchronized dance formations, kilometer wide waves of railgun broadsides, Star Trek shield frequency duels, millisecond reaction time range space combat, swarm tactics, etc), but I keep getting distracted by all the real-world WTF? military stuff I keep running across in non-fiction books.

Stuff like FDR apparently authorizing a homosexual witch hunt in the US Navy during World War 1 with undercover agents actively seeking out US Navy personnel to be blown and hosed by, and the time when the US Government temporarily took over North American Aviation factories building warplanes to break a strike, and everything being retrospectively deemed OK with the takeover because A) nobody arrested for striking or organizing strike efforts actually got convicted in court and B) only one person was accidently bayonetted during the takeover.

Was that the one where the FBI was shaking people down, convinced they were just one handy solicitation away from finding the mysterious ringleader of the gays, Dorothy?