Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you can handle 40K madness Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts books are good Mil SF and he takes some welcome jabs at the horrific authoritarian atrocities the Imperium of Man commits. Sometimes Gaunt himself is a little too perfect feeling, but he pays for his actions and the years definitely leave their mark on him.

For a quick non-WH40K Abnett book I would recommend Embedded. A reporter get's VR chipped into a soldier to report from the frontlines and things go horribly wrong. I found it a nice, quick read. Plus, there's nary a wet leopard growl to be found.

https://www.amazon.com/Embedded-Dan-Abnett-ebook/dp/B004J4WLQY/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Embedded+abnett&qid=1561581391&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

If you want Mi-SciFi war crimes you have alot more of Baen's library to choose from. There's the aforementioned John Ringo, Tom Kratman, and of course Michael Z. Williamson's Freehold where they justifiably kill billions of people on Earth while the protagonist writes off rape as an after thought. This really should be the Baen and things like it thread.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Oh I wish Resnick's stuff was "deliberately kitsch retropunk pulp throwback". Nope, Resnick is garbage tier, but he's been a professional writer/magazine editor since forever and never really changed up his writing style. Aka the Brian Aldiss/Damon Knight poo poo-tier elder scifi writer venerated because he could have ended your writing career easily pre-Internet. Now Resnick is rightfully forgotten and ignored, just like Silverberg. Pournelle and Niven.

Debating whether to discuss Dean Ing survivalist sci-fi stories here because they always included military warcrimes and futuristic weapons were peak mil-scifi at the time.
'Cold-gas' recoil-less firearms, solar powered Reaper style drones but written using 1980s futuretech, nanomachines, Russian boar penises, rape, military plagues, the Red Menace invasions,
new Wasteland texas rangers, Heinlein style Libertarian freeholds, etc.

Oh most definitely,. Cherryh's Alliance-Union and Company Wars series= Mil-SciFi adjacent at the very least.
One of the things that bothered me was 'Stockholm Syndrome > inter-personal conflicts' resolution cropping up repeatedly in C. J. Cherryh's Company Wars stories.

I will always like Mike Resnick simply for his Birthright: The Book of Man. I entered into it with low expectations and found it to be a relatively enjoyable read, almost an anti-Foundation. Mankind rises, falls, rises again, shits on the rest of the polity and gets their just desserts. I've only read a few of his other books, including Santiago, some short stories and his Fortress in Orion which is set in the same universe.

Oh, and Dean Ing, oof. Militant Mormonism triumphant and Assassin EMT's.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

A good rule of thumb for Military-Fiction + Mil-SciFi is to track down public library copies of the first book of a series/closest to first book by whatever New2You Mil-Fiction/Mil-SciFi author.
This has saved me lots of money, and as a bonus, librarians tend to toss out the overtly pro Nazi/fascism Military-fiction/Mil-SciFi books fast.
Even Australia must have public libraries.

Mostly forgot about the militant mormonism in Dean Ing's stuff because the thirsty as gently caress rescued child-bride + that obsession with the mutated Russian boar were just so WTF?
Wasn't there multiple versions of the Assassin EMT's as well? Like I remember the main character of Ing's Quantrill series cycling through:
wartime covert SpecOps Assassins.
MicroBomb in Heads deep cover Assassins
Assassin EMT's (aka Search & Rescue, GliderSquad Division)
New Texas Rangers Assassins
US Marshall Assassins

And ramping up the insanity, all those variations on Assassin Death-Squads happened within 3 books.

One thing I did like about the Quantrill series is that it establishes in the first book that the US not only lost WWIV it lost it hard and ended up retreating from Asia in the "Great Bering Turkey shoot" and ended up losing large swathes of the country to Canadians, Anthrax and Mexico along with the nuclear blasted cities. It's a shame about the American(tm) protagonist Mary Sue.

I wish I still had my old copy of Hard Target(for some reason no Used Book store would ever buy it, go figure.) It had a preview of the next book in the series featuring that drat Russian bull and a splash page hyping it. I guess it didn't sell well enough even by Baen standards to see print.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

So, I have a few MilSF recommendations, now that I've cleansed.

First, Kam Hurley's The Light Brigade came out earlier this year, and is an okay take on Forever War/Starship Troopers. Set a hundred-couple hundred years from now, Earth goes to hell thanks to climate change and Corporate wars. Just as Earth begins to recover it gets attacked by Mars in an event that kills over 500,000 people in Buenos Aires instantly. As a result, We Go To War and, oh yeah, the soldiers are teleported/beamed from Earth to Mars and yes, there are teleporter errors. I enjoyed it overall, Kam is a pretty good author and her prose tends to be snappy. If you want a longer war/series you can check out her Belle Dam series as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40523931-the-light-brigade?from_search=true

My second recommendation would be from Frank Chadwick, Chain of Command, which is space navy vs space navy in a relativistic battle over a single space system. It is set in the same universe as his novels How Dark the World Becomes and Come the Revolution where Humanity reaches the stars and finds out that space is full, get in line. Near space is dominated by a very Capitalist, Cartel-like species that are still aligned by nation-state and while they have a proto-Space UN it's about as hosed up as our current global system. Chadwick started as a game designer for GDW so Chain of Command sort of crosses off all of the check marks of overcoming adversity but I found it a good, quick read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34466767-chain-of-command?from_search=true

Those are my two most recent MilSF reads that I found worth talking about/recommending. I also finished Yoon Ha Lee's Revenant Gun but it's been a few years since that was published and was discussed in the SF thread. Good book, good conclusion to the trilogy.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Ninurta posted:

So, I have a few MilSF recommendations, now that I've cleansed.

First, Kam Hurley's The Light Brigade came out earlier this year, and is an okay take on Forever War/Starship Troopers. Set a hundred-couple hundred years from now, Earth goes to hell thanks to climate change and Corporate wars. Just as Earth begins to recover it gets attacked by Mars in an event that kills over 500,000 people in Buenos Aires instantly. As a result, We Go To War and, oh yeah, the soldiers are teleported/beamed from Earth to Mars and yes, there are teleporter errors. I enjoyed it overall, Kam is a pretty good author and her prose tends to be snappy. If you want a longer war/series you can check out her Belle Dam series as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40523931-the-light-brigade?from_search=true

My second recommendation would be from Frank Chadwick, Chain of Command, which is space navy vs space navy in a relativistic battle over a single space system. It is set in the same universe as his novels How Dark the World Becomes and Come the Revolution where Humanity reaches the stars and finds out that space is full, get in line. Near space is dominated by a very Capitalist, Cartel-like species that are still aligned by nation-state and while they have a proto-Space UN it's about as hosed up as our current global system. Chadwick started as a game designer for GDW so Chain of Command sort of crosses off all of the check marks of overcoming adversity but I found it a good, quick read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34466767-chain-of-command?from_search=true

Those are my two most recent MilSF reads that I found worth talking about/recommending. I also finished Yoon Ha Lee's Revenant Gun but it's been a few years since that was published and was discussed in the SF thread. Good book, good conclusion to the trilogy.

Clearly you hate the representation of the battle of SF Solomon Islands.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Welcome friend.
Stop reading the HH novels asap and check out the 2nd post in this thread for recommended mil-fiction + mil-scifi series/authors that aren't totally garbage.
BTW, what's your favorite Honorverse WarCrime?

My favorite wasn't written by Weber himself, it was in More than Honor, his first(of many) collaberations where he let other authors play in his universe. It's "Whiff of Grapeshot" by SM Stirling, where the not-France has it's version of 13 Vendémiaire. Only with Super Dreadnoughts. The not-Napoleon is then killed off screen before the next book in the series.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

so I peeked in the back of the Seer, an actually cool and good fantasy novel recently published by Baen, and it had a semi-decent "if you liked x, try y" section...followed by a page about Robert Conroy.

A few gems from his bibliography:

1862 (2006), ISBN 978-0345482372, is based on what might have happened had the United Kingdom entered into the American Civil War on the side of the Confederacy after an actual international incident in which that did not happen.
Himmler's War (2011), ISBN 978-1451637618, deals with what might have happened if Hitler had been killed in 1944, and leadership of Nazi Germany had passed to Himmler, who then adopts a considerably different strategy.
North Reich (2012) ASIN B008BVXZXO (e-book only), considers if Britain had surrendered to Nazi Germany, and had a fascist regime installed across the Commonwealth and Empire, with Canada becoming a base from which Germany prepares to launch a war against the United States.
1882: Custer in Chains (2015), ISBN 978-1476780511, depicts George Armstrong Custer surviving and winning the Battle of Little Big Horn. As a result, he is elected President in 1880 and two years later provokes a war with Spain and its decaying empire after an incident involving an American ship being massacred near Cuba.
Germanica (2015), ISBN 978-1476780566, Joseph Goebbels prolongs World War II by building a German redoubt in the Alps.

dude really liked Nazis

You missed one, he has a book 1901 where Germany, for reasons, invades the US as the army is deployed to the Philippines. They conquer Long Island, and the new President Roosevelt makes James Longstreet(yes, him) Commander in Chief. Then the Philippine garrison under Arthur MacArthur(the elder) returns to the US and smashes the Germans. I am sure this somehow results in a young Austrian painter entering politics but there's no epilogue.

Free Baen ebooks are a curse.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

The Man-Kzin Wars were mostly a shared universe that a whole shitload of authors wrote short stories in, so, unsurprisingly, the quality is hugely variable. I remember there being a few genuinely good stories in there, but most of it was, at best, forgettable.

Niven himself, IIRC, wrote very little about the Wars. There's lots of stuff set after the Wars, and most of what he wrote about them was in the form of references to historical events from those works. Apart from that, he wrote "The Warrior" (about first contact between Humans and Kzin) and "The Soft Weapon" (about the crew of two small ships -- one Kzin, one Human/Puppeteer -- fighting over a Tnuctipun artifact)...and that's about it, I think. And both of those stories -- like most of Niven's work -- existed more to showcase interesting ideas than anything else; I wouldn't classify either as "mil-SF".

I think it was The Warriors, but it featured the pacifist human crew making the hard call and turning their drive on the attacking Kzinti ship and destroying it. It turns out that ARM was a good idea after all.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone ever done an epistolary MilSF novel. It's be like Ken Burns civil war documentary with space marines.

Fitzpatrick's War by Theodore Judson does the historical/personal diary of a Great Man/Future Alexander and the Wars he creates to some degree. It has the conceit that the work is banned and an angry historian refutes things in footnotes throughout the book.

I thought it was an ok book, and the warcrimes do count into the millions including turning a good portion of a continent into infertile wastes while a group of religious fundamentalists ban any form of electricity from kill satellites in orbit. Sadly, it looks like the author never caught on and there isn't a legal ebook of it available.

https://www.amazon.com/Fitzpatricks-War-Theodore-Judson/dp/0756401968/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fitzpatricks+war&qid=1563477195&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

You might be underselling it a little, the Great Man basically considers himself Alexander reincarnate and deliberately surrounds himself with a group that call themselves his basilei.

Judson did publish one other book: The Martian General's Daughter, which is a futuristic version of the end of the Roman Empire as it collapses from plague, complete with it's own version of Marcus Aurelius. It's okay, I don't remember much about it.

Fair enough, I was phone posting and did not have my copy of the book handy. I will say that this is a book that I've kept through 3 moves, one cross-state and I have re-read it a few times. However, the material can be off-putting to someone who isn't expecting the grotesque nature of the Yukon Confederacy and it's world. The author had mentioned that he would like to write a follow up prequel but that unfortunately doesn't look like it will ever happen. He did however write a Middle-Aged White Men raging against the world in 2016 which is...unfortunately a bit too on the nose these days https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29549598-deadly-waters.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I found a bunch of old paperbacks called The Lost Regiment today in a used book bin. They looked like MilSF. Anyone know about this series and if there's any red flags?

If they're by William R. Forstchen and always wanted to see what a Union regiment of Maine Yankees would look like fighting 3 meter tall Ork-Mongols who eat humans? They were entertaining enough when I was a teenager but Forstchen never met a stereotype he didn't want to beat into the ground and proceed to digging. The books suffer the usual power creep so that by the latest book you have early 20th-century level wars of genocide between both sides.

Do not, for any reason, read his One Second After books. You will regret that.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Kchama posted:

You know I've wanted to read someone's Let's read of Guns of the South as I can't remember anything about the turtledove books I've read anymore.

Guns of the South was Turtledove's most historical alt-history book, he did a lot of research into the county records of the chief regiment that were the common folk and had historical characters where possible. It's unfortunate that he just got lazier and lazier after that to the point you have "Our unit advanced on Berlin, we fought some Soviets, then the Wehrmacht...Good Germans moved up to reinforce us." I'm not 100% sure the latter happened in his most recent Hot War series about the Korean War going nuclear but it's probably 75% accurate.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Powerskim the rest of this thread.
David Drake got discussed briefly (Drake's latest book series apparently drops 60% of his default grim-dark/vietnam war PTSD writing style).
Saberhagen: ah! Do remember reading a few of his books, seeing a few of his books in the fantasy/scifi sections. Saberhagen hasn't been mentioned here yet. Did read one or two of Saberhagen's War books, but they were so un-remarkable in a sea of terrible authors/terrible_author_war_fantasies that I ended up memory-holing them until just now.

Star Fleet Battles: the books were mentioned briefly here.....it's where David Weber got his writing career kicked off, but besides that and memories of a massive meltdown by a rabid SFB fanatic on the StardockStudios/StarContro forums about how the Star Control developers + everyone else who ever created a space battle game ripped SFB + especially him off forever...can't recall much about about SFB the wargame/novels.

Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East and subsequent Book of Swords series are decent quality, but the latter er more towards straight up Fantasy while Empire of the East is more post-apocalyptic.

I've read a couple of his Berserker novels but, much like Bolos, they seem to be a product of their time and largely forgettable. I guess on the bright side we didn't have a John Ringo Berserker nove...oh goddammit. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1240726.Von_Neumann_s_War

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

Berserkers play a fair part in the Spiral Wars series by Joel Shepherd and get a more interesting take than the usual scifi "any form of artificial sentient life is genocidal against non-AIs" take.

The series itself is pretty good and I've recommended it a few times in the regular thread, but as I've said there it's more a space opera series where almost everybody happens to be in the military. The basic premise is that the crew of a battleship mutinies after a human conspiracy assassinates their captain, gets dragged into a even bigger conspiracy involving a enigmatic alien race backing humanity, and they then have to go traipsing around the galaxy hunting down ancient ruins and trying to get political support from former enemies.

I will have to look up the rest of the Spiral Wars, I read the first book but didn't follow up. I did like the split between the two human factions that were trying to avenge their attempted genocide.

Now, I want to address another elephant in the room, one Christopher G. Nuttall. If you do not recognize his name, be glad. He is a Kindle Unlimited author who has pumped out over 100 books in the past five(!) years, and his Mil-SF branch deals with the Federation. The Federation is your usual ancient, decadent empire that is collapsing from within and without, if only there was a good man to save it. He has subsequently written a couple series were this man is a Marine Captain Edward Stalker, and Fleet Admiral Marius Drake that strive to fight back against the coming darkness. I didn't hate his Empire Corps series that featured Marines doing Marine things, it's the latter series I had a problem with. Nuttall has written a couple okay "time of the fall" books in this setting as well as a post-WWIII book that was my first book of his that I had read, but his work has continually gone down in quality since then.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

The impromptu thread survey question "As to Why people keep reading HH stories if they've read virtually ANYTHING ELSE scifi/mil-scifi, that's the question I've been asking since second 1 of thread creation." answers have been varied but interesting. Small answer base so far, hoping others will chime in.

Sunken cost factor: 2 votes (Narsham, Kchama)
Nostalgia: 2 votes (ShinsoBEAM!, occamsnailfile)
Convenience: 1 vote (jng2058)
Battered person syndrome: 2 votes (Narsham, Kchama)
I don't read Weber/HH stories anymore: 0 votes

My main reason for keeping up with HH was nostalgia. I had started reading it as a teen and came to accept the Weber-isms, I was also a follower of the Baen Bar(AVOID) where he interacted with his fans and thus came forth...BuShips, BuOrd, and every other awful, fan-based grouping that encouraged David to do his worst with techno-babble. Did you know that On Basilisk Station was only 450 pages long? David Weber clearly doesn't, as he attempts to saw down another forest with his next book.

The worst part was I read...A Rising Thunder? I swear, his titles are starting to rival Tom Clancy...at any rate, the book's first couple hundred pages covered the SAME GODDAMN TALBOT CLUSTER REBELS from the previous book, just copy and pasted onto other worlds. That was enough for me. If you cannot get to your next plot point in less words than the first book in the series...shame on me, goddammit.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Theres a lot of books in Mechanical Failure's style and I hate them all tbh. Obviously somebody thinks they're funny because they keep getting written, but I cant stand it

Your post has failed and must reboot.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Glenn Stewart is not actually a good writer and unfortunately for the Duchy of Terra series, the idea is a lot cooler than his actual execution

Speaking of Glenn Stewart, I had to take my car in for a recall last week and had to burn through something on my Kindle Unlimited credit and chose Exile, which if, we have LitRPG as a genre, this is Lit4X, because he played a game of Stellaris and wrote a book about it. The Honorable Admiral starts a rebellion, gets exiled out of a one-way wormhole and once they found a colony they literally go through the tech tree identifying what they need to tech up while wary that their industrial base isn't enough to replace their current ships. This isn't a problem until....oh, they settled on a Sacred World and have to fight the Von Neumann warships of the Progenitors(tm pending).

This book was literally going through turn by turn of Stellaris and the main characters were more wooden then the resources they harvest.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

I would like to add a recommendation, it's a duology by Steven Westerfeld, his Succession series, The Risen Empire and The Killing of Worlds. These books reminded me of the Dread Empire series, only the Emperor/Empress are immortal and human and things go downhill from there. It is a Hard SF universe, with a twist.

They are very much Space Opera, unfortunately they did not sell well so the author retreated into the realm of YA fiction. Where he has sold very, very well with his Uglies series and subsequent books. Hopefully a Dread Empire sequel makes him write another Succession book.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

White continued writing more Starfire novels after Weber left, so someone could easily read the White books, figure out what his own style and preoccupations are, then apply that to the Weber/White books to figure out which bits were written by who

(i am not going to do this)

Ty chto mumu yebyosh? This, ironically, also applies to all Honor Harrington books after say the first 3.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

As I've hypothesized before, John Ringo's main influence definitely isn't books and instead is the crappy scifi movies and tv-series of the '80s + '90s...Red Dawn, V, Ator, The Beastmaster 2, KRULL, KnightRider, Small Wonder, Short Circuit, AutoMan, etc.

David Weber is Doc EE Smith 2.0. Compare the two authors body of work(I dare you kchama + pupsofwar), and you will see many many similarities(I double dare you pupsofware + kchama). Start with EE Smith's Triplanetary, it's got the attrition-stalemate running spaceship battle Weber "borrowed" for the climax of Basilik Station and WARCRIMES almost beyond measure. The massive similarities between David Weber's and Doc EE Smith's writing is is pretty much why I think Jim Baen signed Weber asap to a infinity +1 book contract.

John Ringo always struck me as using the Robotech: Invid Invasion Palladium RPG Sourcebook as his inspiration along with reading Alan Dean Foster's The Damned trilogy. Only instead of a multi-ethnic group of elites from around the world he replaced them with Americans, gently caress Yeah! The main reason I think this is because his timeline in the 2nd and onward books seem to mimic the Robotech Defense Force's failed attempts to rescue Earth after the Invid invade and the only effective resistance are survivors that use RDF technology, including mecha-morphing motorbikes that turn into power armor. Ringo of course shits all over his setting of mankind on the brink of extinction in the latter Collaborative books with Kratman where in Watch on the Rhine Europe get's overrun...but it's ok, we've got 100 million Aryan Germans and Scandinavians waiting to liberate the world...once the Posleen have finished off the undesirables.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Since Ninurta mentioned Palladium, the dam has been broken.
I will swear on a stack of Palladium vouchers that Palladium Book's sourcebooks, more specifically Palladium's RIFTS world books + Beyond the Supernatural RPG + Rifts Conversion Book 2, are Jim Butcher's secret source material for his Dresden Files universe. Harry Dresden does MEGADAMAGE attacks by default, the central american vampire empire in Changes was pretty much a wholesale lifting from Rifts World book 1, the christian angels and demons and Norse godlings all seemed pulled stat-wise from Rifts Conversion Book 2, and so on.

Fair enough. It kind of sucks that the GM decided to convert to the Dresden Files RPG after Changes and it really threw the whole campaign for a loop.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Welcome.
Glad that you've achieved genre Mil-SciFi and Military Fiction enlightenment and can now join the real party.
Just going to requote the OP text with highlighting for tldr folks.

Note: "other 'visionary' Baen Book Mil-SciFi + Military Fiction authors" was my polite way of slurring authors published under the Baen Books imprint. Admittedly this slurs not-terrible authors like Bujold and others....but hey they choose to be published/republished under the Baen Books imprint. gently caress them.

So I made the mistake of using a free ebook credit on the 2nd book of the Sun Eater Rothfuss-Dune mashup and came across some prose that would make Rothfuss blush.

Howling Dark posted:

There was a strength in her clean limbs and an urgency that scattered my legion and left a single, one-eyed soldier at attention.

So far half the book has been to first find the Wizard Undying Kharn Sagara to broker peace with the Aliens and...nothing...really...happens other than a lot of talking back and forth and describing the relative speeds of interstellar vessels, some mild piracy and then talks about the amount of time spent in cryo-sleep. I think the author decided to ape Weber for this book.

Oh, well this explains it:

Christopher Ruocchio is the author of The Sun Eater space fantasy series from DAW Books. He began writing when he was eight years old and sold his first novel, Empire of Silence, at twenty-two. He is also the assistant editor at Baen Books and a graduate of North Carolina State University, where he received a degree in English Rhetoric and the Classics

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 5, 2019

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Licensed fiction can be very hit and miss, especially scifi/mil-scifi licensed fiction. Bolo universe stories + Man-Kzinti war, for example, are bad but managed to sell enough for multiple sequels.
Aubrey–Maturin series continues to baffle me, popularity and content wise. Napoleonic naval warfare series with 21 books published.

Started the not Judge Dredd knock-off book I mentioned earlier, Mack Reynold's Police Patrol: 2000 A.D.
The main character is Tad Boleslaw who looks like Thad Castle, of Blue Mountain State tv series.

I've recently come across a couple of books by Joel Rosenberg, whose book "Hero" I had originally read in High School. The book centers on a Jewish post-diaspora colony whose only export is Mercenary soldiers. I vaguely recall the book, but that it went into serious War Crimes by both the main character (Rookie) and those around him. Little did I know that it was part of a series and the 3rd/conclusion at that, so I am planning on reading the prior books to see what, exactly, is going on.

To tie things back in to Mack Reynolds, according to the wiki/goodreads posts for Joel Rosenberg he was going to continue Mack's work. Which, given that the first Matsada trilogy book it involves stripping down mercenary commands to a low tech level I can see the influence and cheating the difference It's Glider Paratroops

I am...somewhat interested in reading the other books, however it is very 1980's and has Jewish Bushido Warriors who meditate in barren caverns. And marry their brother's wife if he dies in battle.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

One thing that kind of amazes me is that Douglas McArthur in the Philippines during/after/before WW2 is a mil-fiction dead zone besides W. E. B. Griffin's turgid books, and Neal Stephenson's super-loving terrible and embarrassing Cryptonomicon. This an entire mil-fiction subgenre waiting to be tapped (or not) by aspiring mil-fiction writers.

Douglas McArthur did so much "no this would be bullshit if it happened in a mil-fiction story" in real-life stuff it's insane.
Running down a US Military veterans protest march , taking a $500,000 bribe from the Philippines government and then abandoning the Philippines entirely one month later, and oh yeah almost kicking a loving nuclear war are my favorite "WTF" things Douglas McArthur accomplished.

Technically, this was covered in the Sten series, somewhat. Sand,file off the name plate and replace with Ian Mahoney(3rd time's the charm? It's been 20 years.) Only if McArthur was a black ops/black bag operator who terrorized his own populace. Which, given the Bonus Army, checks out.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 5, 2019

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

As an FYI, Alan Dean Foster's The Damned Trilogy is currently available for free with Prime Reading.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRRMTKD/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Reread Red Storm Rising against my better judgment.

Highlights:
-ground and air combat kinda interesting when Soviets are allowed to be competent.

-my spouse was born at the Air Force base in Keflavik, Iceland and is amused that the Soviet invasion missile strike has enough detail to figure out her mom’s classroom was incinerated but not her dad’s

Lowlights:
-I remembered Tom Clancy naval combat always being “something something absolute best ship in the Soviet fleet something something US sub commander presses one button something something Soviets explode. Yup, except sometimes it is a US frigate wiping out fleets of subs

-I remembered the Air Force weatherman hiding on Iceland being interesting. Nope, Soviets barely look for him, and the segment where he rescues the Icelandic woman is terrible. Lots of attention to her being the blondest Viking possible, but I forgot she falls in love with him and goes back to America. Assaulted, had her parents murdered in front of her, and saw many more deaths. (Shrugs) better forget that instantly, there’s a weatherman here!

—combat gets boring and predictable fast. After the first third Soviets just march/sail/fly into American technological meat grinders.

So yeah, I don’t think there is anything in the Clancy Canon that ever needs to be read.

Is there any good WWIII fiction? I think the best I’ve seen was World in Conflict, as the Russian master plan included invading Seattle and blowing up the Kingdome, and sending Spetsnaz to seize the Statue of Liberty. Dammit I wish that had been a trilogy.

Red Army by Ralph Peters is...passable, however it has issues. There is also Harold Coyle's Team Yankee from the opposite side. Team Yankee also had a limited comic series re-written by David Drake.

If you want to go punk, you can try John Shirley's A Song called Youth trilogy which is WWIII, plus Cyber-punkish.