Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just saw this thread and wanted to mention one of the things about Weber's HH books that struck me as hilariously absurd.

There's a bit in one of the early books where Harrington's having lunch with her accountant and someone else, and David Weber decides to throw in some lines about how her accountant is going to oh-so-cleverly invest the great heaving funds she's won in prize money from the first book, and more importantly, in a way that avoids being taxed.

Now, my recollection is that at this point the war with Haven is still an existential crisis for Manticore, it's still entirely possible the Haven fleet will crush them through sheer weight of numbers... but no, we've still gotta make sure the discerning Baen reader knows that as little of that glorious prize money as possible will be squandered on any god damned space welfare programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Double-posting but gently caress it..

Welcome new reader/poster to this thread.

Besides David Weber, what mil-fiction + military sci-fi books/series/authors have you read? What is your favorite book/author, what is the worse book/author you've read?
My personal favorites/hates remain the same (really enjoy Harry Harrison/Bill the galactic Hero, worse author I've read is Neal Asher, followed closely by Neal Stephenson).

On the subject of sci-fi wargames/mil-scifi wargames, just want to note that Traveller the RPG exists, and is still getting worked on, with a recent fully funded kickstarter project to print hardcopies of the 5dot10 rules/rulebooks. Traveller RPG is a build your own characters/planets/ships/nobility style game and can be played soltaire style, with a group or as a wargame.

I've read most of the published Bolo works (I believe I dropped it after Road to Damascus, which someone else mentioned, and was hideous). I still have a soft spot for the original Laumer stories and the earlier anthologies; I definitely think Bolos are best in a short story rather than a full-length novel.

I've read Starship Troopers, Armor, The Forever War, and a handful of Hammer's Slammers stories.

I also came into possession of a handful of the There Will Be War anthologies that Jerry Pournelle edited, and my god, even the Reagan-era military expansion wasn't enough to give that guy an erection; I'm exaggerating (slightly) but it seemed like every other essay from him around then was "JESUS CHRIST THE COMMIES ARE GOING TO OVERRUN US ANY DAY NOW!!!!!!" Definitely some trash in there, but one story that I still fondly remember is Allamagoosa.

My favorite? I'm not sure, really. Of the authors above Laumer's my favorite, though not for the mil-sf stuff - he has a certain style so that when he's on his game, it really pops for me. Though admittedly, a lot of his work is pulpy male power fantasy.

Ringo's probably written the worst mil stuff I've read.

Would you guys say Hunt for Red October counts as mil-scifi? Seems like it would just qualify to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Of course, there's a new spin-off site these days, after the right-wing mods on spacebattles got caught making a safe space to teach unfairly-treated right-wing posters how to use terms like "dindu" instead of more common slurs, so they wouldn't have to be banned.

lol, what??

Was there like a secret subforum they'd invite people to or was it just coaching via PM or...? How did they get exposed?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Cordwainer Smith, banned and arrest-on-sight from 6 veterinarian practices and 3 "normal" medical doctors offices for his hands-on cat breeding method.

lol what

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Larry Parrish posted:

I read so many Aubrey Marturin novels but the formula gets stale after like 6 books; the titular characters dont really grow out of their codependent bromance thing, and the scale of the stories are about one ship and its crew (but mostly just the command staff). And peacetime navies are very boring, so there always has to be a crisis for the guys to get thrown into. They're good books but they wore on me eventually. They're way loving better than the mil scifi knockoffs, though funnily enough theres a few times where the author has a whole book about something he thought was cool, like the prototype missile cruiser Polycrest. Turns out the late 18th/early 19th century just didnt have the technology for naval rocketry

Post Captain is hardly about Polycrest, like yeah the ship's in there but the book is really about two dudes going after a woman.

Kchama posted:

I still love that David Weber made the French civil war about welfare.

And not like, the revolutionaries wanting welfare because they were starving in the street.

But the revolutionaries are mad that too many people are on welfare.

God, was that it? I remember the justification for space warfare being a thing in the setting being "well this welfare state is just so totally burdened by all these proles who just refuse to work that the only way they could sustain themselves was to start plundering and enslaving their neighbors!!", and I remember there being a coup but I thought that was more like "those elitist fuckers keep telling us there's no more money, well we know they're just hoarding it for themselves, off with their heads!!" and "hell yeah, we toppled the unaccountable police state, now it's our turn to run the unaccountable police state!!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

The Bolo anthologies from Baen also have some legit good stories in them. There are of course a few stinkers, but on the whole they're great. I should do a review or overview of the series.

Yes, you should! I'd be happy to read your thoughts on them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Polikarpov posted:

This is basically the career arc of Jack Aubrey in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. He's a brilliant captain but is constantly undermined- by his own flaws, by his father's incredibly poor political and financial instincts, by his own incredibly poor political and financial instincts, etc etc. He's even framed and drummed out of the navy for several books, which leads to some interesting missions as a privateer/deniable asset for the Foreign Office. Eventually he finally rises through the ranks with a bit of luck and a lot of inertia, commanding a few squadrons and the like.

Its the only way to make a character arc work for 21 books.

Aubrey's good but even he acknowledges that a lot of his successes came down to luck, and he'll be quick to point out that he's no Nelson. Like near the end of HMS Surprise where someone said of his defense of the Indiamen that it had "the Nelson touch" and he instantly responds "no, there you're wrong; Nelson would have taken the Marengo!"

Harrington, on the other hand, seems to be the greatest officer to have ever lived in... whatever that setting is called.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

I occasionally deliver on stuff I said I might do.

And you did! Very much looking forward to reading your following installments.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Polikarpov posted:

Goon Project- Buy the good General the IP rights to the Honorverse.

Wasn't there talk of a movie at one point? I guess that never escaped development hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kchama posted:

Movie was cancelled six years ago. Weber hitched himself to a company that planned a huge multimedia Honorverse blitz including movies, video games, and comic books and the only thing that happened were the comic books and I think the company went under too, taking all the video games and movies with it.

lol I happened to come across the comic books at one point, what struck me was how all the issues after the first one appeared to be rendered by using some 3D graphics program to pose models. It just looked awful, even worse than the recent Star Trek comic books where it's painfully obvious that nearly every face is either a tracing of a screenshot from the show, or possibly literally a screencap that's been photoshopped into the art.