Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

^^^
Technically that post qualifies for the Manticore = Montecore video thread rule, however I'll let whatever mods read this thread decide the punishment needed.

https://carjoemez.com/2016/07/22/the-legend-of-montecore/

Reversal of fortune!

That's too much like hard work, so, until the end of the next page, if anyone posts about Manticore and doesn't include the video, you must quote their post and add the video. Failure will be rewarded with a six hour vacation in which to ponder the authority OPs have to create thread rules. You are allowed to post the video once in reply to multiple posts, but don't push your luck...

Notice to other posters: don't report quantumfoam if he doesn't post the video, that'll just make work for the actual mod. I'll keep an eye out for violations myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

feedmegin posted:

This is a terrible analogy because the British House of Lords in 1999 was very different from the British House of Lords before 1910 -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Act_1911

Before which it was something like as powerful as the US Senate while being completely unelected, after which, and after an election and constitutional crisis it became much much less powerful - able only to delay legislation not veto it. Learn a little UK history if you're going to post about its constitution.

Arguably the Lords had been essentially beaten by 1831, when they failed to stop the Great Reform Act, but it's definitely been negligible since 1911. And it's not really comparable to the US Senate at all, I think?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Tree fell early last morning at my place from the hurricanes, lost all power + internet. Power + internet is back on, checking in on thread.....

.....nice :discourse:

Oof, sorry to hear that. Hope you're OK. The Manticore rule is now dropped, turns out it wasn't that funny.

PupsOfWar posted:

kchama and libluini u should chillout

Also this.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It wasn't that big a deal, but thanks.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

Manticore also sells ships; what do they do when they commission a new class of destroyer or cruiser that obsoletes an older class? They sell the old ships to one of their friendly neighbors.

Does Weber seriously write this? :lol:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I saw "mount" and "oyster" and thought it was a different kind of pun.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

how come there are so many mil-SF retellings of Xenophon's March, but no mil-SF retellings of the voyage of the Russian Imperial Navy's 2nd Pacific Squadron

Singularity Sky by Charles Stross, link includes him complaining about David Weber, too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularity_Sky#History

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

In 2010 David Betz, a senior lecturer in war studies at King's College, London, cited Singularity Sky as a model for a proposal to undermine the Taliban's hold over Afghanistan, and strengthen the country's legitimate government, by giving every resident of the country a free mobile phone. He said it would "create a real communications space and 'let ideas find their own levels'". In Stross's novel, he noted, "the contact of the lesser developed culture with the advanced one is utterly devastating for the status quo of the former. The parallels are pretty obvious."

Why are all these people so stupid? What good does he think this will do? Does he think the poppy growers are phoning each other on rotary Bakelite antiques?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I think the Honor/Hamish thing happened because Honor is supposed to be like Nelson who had a genuinely scandalous relationship with some guy's wife. But Honor is too pure and morally upstanding to actually do anything that interesting.

Nelson was bonking one Lady Emma Hamilton, including living with her and her husband, leaving his wife for her, and doctoring their daughter's birth certificate so they could pretend he was only the godfather. Haven't read any Weber but I doubt Honor dies anything half so entertaining.