Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honor Harrington can't commit a war crime because any war crime she committed would be retroactively discovered to have been Actually Good and Cool the Whole Time afterwards.

But can you point to any situations where she unambiguously commits one before post-hoc justifications are made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Did you bitches not read the 2nd sentence of the OP, which covers this exact situation.

What I'm reading is "I can't actually provide proof for my claim, so I'm going to put up chaff to try and avoid having to do so", which is not a good look for something that is literally part of the thread's title.

I'm not going to pretend that David Weber doesn't have terrible politics (because he does), or that there aren't other valid criticisms (because there are), but come on.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

occamsnailfile posted:

There was at least one occasion when Honor was going to shoot a POW out of hand. Now, the guy was miserable scum, but still protected under space law etc. One of her subordinates knocked her gun aside--so she almost did, but the plot saved her. I can't remember any of the other details like which book, who the guy was specifically, or who prevented her from shooting, but having a murderous temper is one of her major character traits.

... Which not only comes up in later books, but is one of the incidents that flavour how her enemies perceive her, so it's not like it's something that's just brushed off. Nor does it happen again.

As for the Q-ship, it being a military vessel was telegraphed before she went after it, and telegraphed again before she fired upon it beyond the warning shot.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Welcome back, friend.
Didn't Honor Harrington + friends do the same hidden military vessel/illegal Q-ship bullshit that the first book(On Basilisk Station) raged about a book or two later? Only it was more Q-ships (filled to the brims with missile pods) when Manticore/Harrington did it?

In Honor Among Enemies, she does lead a squadron of Q-ships, but in anti-pirate activity.

(Grav lances only feature twice in the whole franchise, in On Basilisk Station and in a Rafe Cardones short story, since Weber felt they were too much of a god-weapon and they kind of negated his goal of 'Horatio Hornblower in spaaaace', at least in the early books.)

Regardless, what Mil-SciFi authors besides David Weber obviously, do you enjoy reading or talking poo poo about?

Only other scifi author I really read regularly is Bujold, honestly. I keep trying to get in to The Expanse, but the writing just doesn't 'click' for me, unfortunately. (I do occasionally read Elizabeth Moon, though.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PupsOfWar posted:

is that the same short story (written by someone else for an anthology) where the grav lance had been improved to negate all the weaknesses of the original design

i recall this grav-lance variant having a range of like a million kilometers (twice normal energy range!) and being able to strip off the full impeller wedge rather than just the sidewalls

I think that's the one, yes. Super-secret project?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

... David Weber explicitly said the whole point of the Safehold series was to explore religious strife in the circumstances he set up there. Maybe look to see what the author says about their dumb mil-scifi before reading (and then complaining about) it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I think one of the bigger issues I have with Weber particularly, and this is probably true of other Mil-SciFi authors as well, is that he often leans on "$x is a terrible person" as a justification for killing or otherwise removing $x from office. This is especially prevalent in his Safehold novels, but it shows up in the Empire of Man quadrilogy and on several occasions in the Honorverse.

EDIT: Elizabeth Moon does it too, both in The Deed of Paksenarrion (and its sequelae, The Paladin's Legacy) and in her Familias Regnant series.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 2, 2019

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Quiz/Reading Comprehension Questions–multiple choice/short answer questions to
test reading comprehension:
1. Who are the “Dolists” and what problem do they pose for the Republic of Haven?
(chap. 1)

answer to 1
". The Dolists are the “mob,” the people who have supported Haven’s wars in order
to have a better standard of living. They are “on the dole,” dependent on
government support to live. The are “useless drones” who are sucking up
resources without contributing. Their demands contribute to Haven’s need to
conquer new territory in order to keep their economy viable"

that's not how welfare works, weber!

Not only is that not how welfare works, the whole People's Republic of Haven is not in any way how welfare states happen. There are a handful of real-life examples (like Saudi Arabia), but they formed to ensure that power remained in the hands of the elites, not in furtherance of equality. Moreover, the 'mob' in such states has no real power or ability to acquire any, and their governments do their best to keep it that way. Even with Mesan Alignment influence, it's just not possible to turn a functional democracy into that kind of welfare state.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

C.M. Kruger posted:

Weber claims he "writes" at something absurd like 150 words per minute because he actually uses a speech recognition program, so I'd cut down the actual writing time to a weekend at most.

Maybe three days—he has to program in new names with drat near every book he dictates, and given that some of those names are spelled differently based on the series he's working on I bet he's done some dictation and then only noticed he was in the wrong mode several paragraphs (or chapters) later.

Don't gently caress up your hands, folks.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The only real glimpses we see of non-political civilian life in the Honorverse are in the short story anthologies (and the YA trilogy with Jane Lindskold). In one, we get to see what a lovely place Masada is to its women. Most of the rest are significantly prior to the main series, so they don't really count.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PupsOfWar posted:

it amuses me that they tried making a wargame out of honorverse

for wargames people a lot of the appeal is collecting all the different dudes and painting them to look cool (if supplied unpainted) or at least displaying them (if supplied painted)

40k is a bad game and a lot of the sculpts of the models are bad, designed to be slammed out in vast bulk by terrible injection molding equipment from the mid 90s. But the dudes who do it enjoy getting to paint up all the different bits and heraldry. This works very well with a gonzo setting where you can have mecha, exosuits, tanks, artillery, werewolves, dragons, and several different types of flamboyant space knights and space ninja, all in the same battle. This fundamentally is why all of the main wargaming settings are wild and colorful and anachronistic - people want a wide variety of things to paint and display.

you can't do this with honorverse since in honorverse all ships share the same fundamental shape

it is hard to imagine that people who like to paint & display models would enjoy this

what are they gonna do with fleets that are all just incrementally varying sizes of the same thing

At least the Andermani navy paints the ships' names on to their hulls; everyone else just puts the ship's catalog number on.

Kchama posted:

It's why they're the Empire of Manticore now. And IIRC all the annexations were all voted for in mass by the annexed.

Of course there's a bit in the book where Manticore more or less rigged the vote so they'd win it (and they forced the vote in the first place with their spies) but this was Actually Good, You Guys and we were suppose to hate the locals for trying to stop this.

As I recall, that's the Solarian bureaucrats' interpretation of the plebiscites, not what actually happened.

Because obviously it's okay to be imperialist if they asked to join. /s

On the other hand, there's that whole 'split Silesia up between Manticore and the Anderman Empire' bit; the Silesians didn't get a say in that one.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kchama posted:

Yeah it's possible. The Talbott Sector had the few parts of the Solarian League with modern tech because for some reason they only ever gave new ships to the frontier sectors despite the Solarian League supposedly being super greedy and thus you think the good ships would go to the home systems or something. So all the good ships would be concentrated in a couple of places where they could more or less 'system hop'. And then they'd just annihilate the entire Solarian League fleet at once that they kept hyping up but it doesn't seem like it ever showed.

Weber spills an awful lot of ink describing Battle Fleet as being massively arrogant and self-assured of their own superiority to the point where they completely ignored the Manticoran/Havenite wars and reports of the significant technological advances in warfare there. And the 'modern' tech deployed by Frontier Fleet and Mesa-influenced planets in the Talbott Sector came from Technodyne, which had been paying some modicum of attention to those developments.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kchama posted:

Yeah but it's still stupid and doesn't make sense in the slightest. It was part of the whole 'setting them up to be the paperest tiger to ever paper a tiger' thing I mentioned. If you have to make that stupid then why even bother? I guess that's in the end why they didn't even face the Battle Fleet and the Solarian League went down like superchumps.

I mean, gently caress, by Weber's reckoning no one in the Battle Fleet was even ALIVE when the Battle Fleet actually had its victories, so why is everyone so confident in it?

That's basically the whole point, though, and prior to the outbreak of hostilities I imagine both Manticore and Haven were, technologically, on par with the League. Weber's claimed that the only reason Manticore's even in shouting distance, technologically, with the League is the immense wealth their wormhole junction's given then, IIRC. The House of Steel tech bible/novella/whatever is a prequel that basically laid the groundwork for the main series, and particularly involved the development of the laser-head missiles that prove so decisive throughout the 'modern' series.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I can't be the only person who remembers the Big Solarian Sneak Attack that Manticore knew about from the beginning of the book, right?

Which was telegraphed because the bureaucracy is about as airtight as a sieve, so Beowulf heard about it and told Manticore. This is even a plot point.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Larry Parrish posted:

One thing that never made sense to me is Manticore was settled by STL sleeper ships, and once they had arrived, wormholes and Alcubierre drives had been invented. So why didnt anyone just invade Manticore and take this supposedly very valuable system that has a ton of wormholes and three habitable planets? What, did weapons technology not evolve in 500 years so those ancient sleeper ships were competitive?

Manticore was settled for a couple centuries before wormholes were discovered to actually be a thing. There's a series in progress which focuses on that part of Manticoran history.

It's about on par with everything else he's written, as you would expect.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Alt-history, alt-history, uhh...

Agent of Byzantium is pretty decent, if unfortunately a single novel (more accurately, half a dozen novellas back-to-back), and it starts with the main character being a scout in the Eastern Roman Empire.

Aside from that and the Ring of Fire series, which has had more than a few posts in this thread already, I got nothin'.

(Okay, I lied, but Leo Frankowski can go skinny-dip in Lake Michigan.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Oh, poo poo. I forgot, Connie Willis has done several time-travel novels, none Mil-Scifi though.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

PupsOfWar posted:

frankowski is a Terrible Author everyone here would enjoy dunking on

iirc the stargard books got (justly) banned from most book stores and libraries for advocating pedophilia though, so there aren't really any sporkings of them around

There's a corrective-rape scene in, I think, the third book. Plus the whole "Conrad beds every teenage girl ever' crap.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
For all that Weber's a hack (and Honor Harrington purportedly a Mary Sue :rolleyes:), at least he's not Jean Johnson, who wrote a whole series where the MC is explicitly a Mary Sue.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Arcsquad12 posted:

Back to terrible Weber stories and insane jingoism. Now I read the first three Ender's Game books by Card, and I've seen he never really left the series alone, making a book series called Ender's Shadow starring Bean. Are they as bad and superfluous as they sound?

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are the only even remotely decent books he's ever written. The entire rest of his work can be safely ignored.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

shovelbum posted:

You would think that the ratio would be reversed in such a society

But see the genetic engineering they did to themselves with no tech-base to support any such thing that made it possible to survive and

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
They help me lose track of time for a bit. Unfortunately, that means I can't Let's Hate-Read the series.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

shovelbum posted:

my favorite is that gravity is faster than light in weber

He retconned that as the magic gravity go-go gadgets generating ripples in hyperspace which is what gravitic sensors actually detect. Whatever you say, Weber. :rolleyes:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

C.M. Kruger posted:

Along with Sgt. Bothari there's also that bit with Lt. Koudelka attempting to force himself on his future wife or something to that effect, going "oh no i've done something terrible" and then IIRC everybody else just kinda laughs it off since he's a cripple and she could have easily fought him off and also turns out to have already been interested in him.

No, Koudelka didn't try to force himself on her; it was just poor communication on both sides, complicated by Barrayaran cultural norms. He was apologizing because he thought he'd upset her, and she was upset because she thought his apologies meant he wasn't actually interested in her as a partner. There's a whole scene where Cordelia resolves that particular issue.

Bothari...part of what's up there is that Aral considers Bothari to have been just as much of a victim of Prince Serg's vile activities as the women (due to the drugs Prince Serg had him take as part of his involvement in those activities), and the original "therapy" (which was itself a politically expedient drug mind-rape) he'd gotten after the abortive invasion didn't help matters at all either. Bothari himself knew what he did, and he clung to Cordelia because she saw in him a (very poorly used) human being rather than a monster. He got genuine therapy as a result of the events in Barrayar.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
What's the thread's opinion of the Temeraire series? Had recalled it due to the recent turn toward Napoleonic Wars fiction.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Nope. The story is unfortunately not over yet.

On the other hand, it keeps him from making GBS threads out more Honorverse. I'm not sure whether this is actually a relief or not. (I don't think Uncompromising Honor is going to be the last one in that series, given the Mesan Alignment is still a thing.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The only things people need to know from OBS are that it ended with a Q-ship nobody but her knew was a Q-ship being destroyed and the People's Republic of Haven rubber-stamped a murder conviction on the basis of it. That's the only part that is actually relevant to future novels.

So start with The Honor of the Queen.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
That's Elizabeth Moon, and she has written more scifi than just that trilogy (some in the same universe, even). I'd originally got in to her writing due to a standalone novel about an elderly woman who refuses to abandon a colony when instructed and her interactions with the indigenous aliens whose presence caused the colony to be abandoned.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kchama posted:

Also a lot of this book becomes a bit more nonsensical when the later stuff basically says it took until several books from now for there to be actual communication between Medusans and humans, as the Medusan native language is impossible for a human to understand.

No, what took several books was the explanation for how humans were able to communicate with the Medusans. (The explanation is clever, but it's surrounded in a poo poo slurry of dumb, so I don't blame you for misremembering it.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
What competition is there in this space, though? Aside from David Drake and Elizabeth Moon, that is.

Like, most of the rest of the authors we've discussed are much, much worse than (solo) David Weber.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kchama posted:

Probably. It just immediately struck me as very out of place because of the implication that it was bed-clothes or a robe to wear when getting out of bed. It's pretty much akin to wearing a three-piece-suit as pyjamas or a bath-robe.

There is in fact a women's loungewear concept which is referred to as a kimono despite only superficial resemblances to Japanese kimonos:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Not only that, but Haven assumed (quite reasonably) that they'd be able to get away with slipping a Q-ship in, since nobody could have foreseen that a competent captain would be assigned to a poo poo post. Even if, on paper, the post should have been a plum assignment.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
...Yes? The book addresses that very issue. It's supposed to not make sense, because "heehee half-assed totalitarian welfare state make dumb leaders lol".

EDIT: missed a thing.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 29, 2020

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
He buried OBS's tech in a hole and filled it in. Pity he didn't put his writing career in there too.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gnoman posted:

I don't see any way you can see racism anywhere in this chapter.

1. "Round-eye"
2. Allison Harrington is ethnically southeast Asian (IIRC Chinese, but don't quote me on this)

...but I think it's being massively played up given it's a lovely throwaway line.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
It's mentioned in the next book that captains are assigned a personal assistant when they achieve that rank, and I think it's also mentioned that light cruisers are too small for the captain of the ship to have one. Here, she doesn't yet have one but apparently one of the many responsibilities chief stewards have on smaller vessels is to provide similar service to the captain of the ship. It's not ever explicitly stated, if so, even when we get narration for other ship captains. Nor do we ever get any narration centered around Mac's life, which would clear some of this up.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Kchama posted:

Ringo, Weber, and Flint alllllllllllll suck hard. I hate his stuff in the Honorverse more than I hate Weber's stuff.

And yeah I saw that Bujold was the one who required they be removed from the free CD.

By the way I had been looking for this a lot earlier and finally found it and I just wanted to laugh at Manticore being a 'raving meritocracy'.

No, that part actually rings kinda true if you consider the reality of so-called 'meritocracies' rather than what their proponents insist they're like. Like everything else, Weber doesn't think about the implications of the poo poo he writes very much.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
What I was pointing out here is 'merit' is extremely fluid and can be interpreted to mean 'has the right connections' just as easily as 'meritocracy' proponents' 'pro-society achievements'. Because the people who are already at the top dictate what 'merit' means. In an open aristocracy where leadership is founded in the aristocracy, that inherently prefers the bullshit we see in the Star Kingdom.

So Weber is absolutely right in the dumbest loving way.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
(Esther McQueen is Napoleon here, actually, or so Weber intended. It's even in the books.)

Also this whole thing started over Frontier Security being pissed that Manticore dared to offer some marginal planets along the League's frontier an alternative to being gobbled up by OFS. Manticore had no intention of conquest of any part of the Solarian League at any point in this shitshow, and up until Filareta's invasion of the Manticore system they've been trying to get the League to pursue a diplomatic option...which the 'Mandarins' rejected outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The pod ships pack more missiles in because they involve structural changes and higher levels of automation than pre-pod designs, resulting in significantly lower crew sizes and therefore freeing up space to cram more pods in to. The books discuss this, starting with In Enemy Hands (and is of course part of Honor lecturing her mentor-cum-husband about him being Wrong When She's Right™.