Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Imagine you're flying a plane with a variety of missile defenses- electronic countermeasures, chaff, flares. Now imagine your enemy predicts exactly where you're going to be and dumb fires an unguided rocket at that point. You can dodge it, obviously, but if you just try to distract it with countermeasures you will be hit, as it won't even see them. There, a weapon too stupid to fool. Hard skew port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Running a government, and especially running a war, basically is endless meetings. It just doesn't make a very compelling space opera

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I give Weber props for naming the slave labor company after a temp agency. I don't know if he did that on purpose but it's perfect

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I thought the thread might like to know:

https://twitter.com/HNTurtledove/status/1345216419365941248

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Starfire series definitely read like novelizations of wargame campaigns. Insurrection isn't very good but I was entertained by the other three Weber co-wrote (though I never got around to the later ones Steve White wrote without Weber). There are a lot of setpieces and a lot of characters he changes the names of and re-uses in his later books.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GD_American posted:

I read 2-3 of the earlier Honor books. Where'd he end up going in the end with everything? Carbon copy tactical genius kids, or is 930 year old Honor Harrington still saving the multiverse?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Apparently there are still some more novels following the anti-slavery side plot and anthologies planned. And YA novels set way in the past?

If Weber ever revisits the main storyline (the major bad guys were still out there at the end) I expect he would finally do the 20 year time-skip that was in his original vision. But given his health problems, I'd be surprised if he isn't done, aside from "collaboration" novels that just have his name on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think they'll be able to find a 6'3" British-Asian fitness model for the lead