Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

Are there any submarine/scifi equivalent books that are both fun, and not beset by weird political crap? Almost every recommendation I'm finding on Amazon/Goodreads reads like "The <country or ethnicity> has an <unstoppable thing>, enter Admiral Richard Steele and his unstoppable Murder Boat, ten million tons of steel and fire laser-targeted on obliterating <country or ethnicity>," and, like, if tom clancy was too much for me, I'm not going to get through any of these.

It's been a long time since I read them, but I remember really enjoying James H. Cobb's Amanda Garret series. Though it doesn't take place on a sub so much as a "stealth" surface ship. I liked the main character (even if in the first book she and her XO accidentally hosed (well, they very intentionally hosed but neither knew the other would be in their chain of command).

Of course, I've liked crap before. I remember liking and re-reading the poo poo with the weather guy from Red Storm Rising.

Beyond that, I kind of enjoy Clive Cussler's Oregon Files series, which also involves a badass surface ship but has some sub stuff in it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU