Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I'd like to throw out a recommendation for "The Prince" by S.M. Stirling and Jerry Pournelle. It takes place in the same universe as Stirling and Larry Niven's later novels "The Mote in God's Eye" and "The Gripping Hand." It mostly follows the career of one man as he moves up through the Navy and eventually leads his own mercenary legion as the central government on Earth struggles to maintain control of its colonies. Many of the stories are set on colony worlds with various problems (corrupt governors, transporation of criminals, overbearing policies from Earth - basically the whole colonial playbook from actual history). There's an interesting cadre of side characters that develop over time and an overarching background plot where the central government is slowly collapsing. From a mil-SF angle, there's a lot of interesting small-unit actions, and situations explored where they realistically work around the limits of technology and logistics on backwater worlds (e.g. limited satellite coverage, area denial for aircraft, supply chain issues).

It's been a few years since I've re-read it but I don't recall any strong overtones of crazy political leanings or worldviews unlike some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread (correct me if I'm wrong). There is some imperialism going on (they declare an Empire of Man towards the end, based on a planet founded by American constitutional scholars) but it's nowhere near as fetishistic as Weber's stuff.

If you've read "The Mote in God's Eye," these stories happen in the distant past of that book and there are some connections. Pournelle created a whole CoDominium universe with backstory and a timeline, not unlike Niven's Known Space series, and similarly there are a whole host of short stories by other authors that take place in this universe (the WarWorld books). (Way more details here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Yeah, I have read the Lost Fleet books and they were fine, but not anything I want to re-read. I see that the author has written a few other series in that universe (prequels and sequels).

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

PupsOfWar posted:

i saw it in the Store a couple of weeks ago and flipped to the back 2 see how it all ends

it ends...exactly how u think

Well, fill us in... does she glass Earth?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I just saw this thread and wanted to mention one of the things about Weber's HH books that struck me as hilariously absurd.

There's a bit in one of the early books where Harrington's having lunch with her accountant and someone else, and David Weber decides to throw in some lines about how her accountant is going to oh-so-cleverly invest the great heaving funds she's won in prize money from the first book, and more importantly, in a way that avoids being taxed.

Now, my recollection is that at this point the war with Haven is still an existential crisis for Manticore, it's still entirely possible the Haven fleet will crush them through sheer weight of numbers... but no, we've still gotta make sure the discerning Baen reader knows that as little of that glorious prize money as possible will be squandered on any god damned space welfare programs.

I feel like this is just Weber poorly aping Age of Sail books (like A-M, Hornblower, real life) where naval officers were all worried about their prize money (although they would also invest in pyramid schemes and bad investments or their bank would go under and they'd lose it all). So here Weber is trying to write something like that but it just falls on its face because it's hollow and boring.