Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Looking for a new book/series to start, and I remembered a setting description from an old gaming book (GURPS Time Travel) with the story idea of the Eternity Rangers- essentially, soldiers from all different time periods plucked by unknown forces, given missions with no explanation across time/space, and rewarded every now and then with what's essentially shore leave with a time machine.

A little more in-depth here

https://gurps.fandom.com/wiki/Eternity%27s_Rangers

Is there anything out there in this same vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'm just glad Weber lived long enough to finish his sequel to Out of the Dark.

I'm serious. He made a sequel.

It drops January 12th.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I read 2-3 of the earlier Honor books. Where'd he end up going in the end with everything? Carbon copy tactical genius kids, or is 930 year old Honor Harrington still saving the multiverse?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I just read Germline by T.C. McCarthy, and enjoyed it. Anyone read the sequels and know if they're any good?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Maybe it's recency bias as I finished it this year, but the books were awful enough and so was she, that I'd say Lenie Clarke

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Well....that's something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Goddamnit are you people actually going to succeed in getting me to read my second Honor book

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rocket-equipped motorcycles have a long and storied career in cinema, like in 'The Spy Who Loved Me' and of course, 'Megaforce'...

The Red Oak Victory (WWII Victory Class freighter that was a replacement for Liberty ships) is docked in Richmond in the East Bay and gives tours. They had a fully equipped machine shop with lathe, milling machine, drill press, and the rest.

I wonder how much of this capability today's Navy retains as more and more gets pushed onshore and towards contractors, but as recently as the 80s/90s Yellowstone-class tenders had full foundries, machine shops and every sort of craft imaginable, down to seamstresses. They'd make casts of broken pump casings to pour and machine new ones.

At the end of Desert Storm, the two that were deployed (Cape Cod and Acadia) ended up being the deployed Navy's recycling receptacle for aluminum cans. Holds full of the things, stinking in the heat. They decided to melt them down, use the aluminum to make huge ship logo plaques for every single person on board, then broke the mold. Nice little lemonade from lemons story. Helped that it made the admiral that visited pretty put out that he couldn't get one :v:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I loved Hammer's Slammers. Thin pastiches of Greek epics in fusion powered tanks were extremely my poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Was that the one with the insanely predatory ecosystem? Where basically even the palm tree equivalent shot you dead full of spikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Fivemarks posted:

I went down an SM Stirling rabbithole while trying to get ready for looking at Drake's writings, and, uh

SM Stirling is a piece of poo poo, not just for the Draka, but also for Guns of the South, which runs on Lost Cause myths that personally offend me.

Guns of the South was Turtledove.