Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Max Wright has died. this guy

Was it cancer or the life long pain of being a proper actor who was only remembered for letting some puppet with a Hungarian midget inside upstage him?

look at this little chappy!

RIP ALF dad I genuinely liked the show when I was a kid but it's probably loving terrible now. What are YOUR favourites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Mods make this the background for TCC

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EorayMel posted:

Lol

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
First Mrs. Dog and now this????

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
RIP Alf Dad, hope he’s smoking crack and loving dudes in heaven.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

luncheon meat posted:

What are YOUR favourites?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZERfeh7n4Q

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgxeqNFSSs

Telebite fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 27, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I'm not getting all I can out of life

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mega64 posted:

Pour one out

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

EorayMel posted:

exclusive photos of alf dad in heaven

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh I'm sorry am I NOT supposed to want to lounge around a bunch of nude dad's and smoke crack?
That's a SIN now, SUSAN?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Working on that show sounds like it was a nightmare, the set was a deathtrap because it was riddled with trapdoors for the puppet and it took forever to film the show because of the technical demands. The guy who created/voiced ALF also sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat and he always rewrote the scripts to give all the decent lines to his character and hosed over everyone else. Max Wright sounded especially hosed off about the entire experience:

quote:

Max Wright was famous for screaming out "Curse you Hussein!" to the cast and crew, comparing conditions on the set to Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

quote:

Reportedly, during the fourth season, tensions on the set were so high that Max Wright attacked the ALF puppet and screamed "Put us all on sticks. We're all puppets!"

quote:

Max Wright was so ready to be done with the show that when the final day of taping ended, he immediately cleaned out his dressing room and left the studio, without saying goodbye to any of the cast or crew.

The other actors weren't so happy either:

quote:

John LaMotta said in an interview that he thought Alf was "a piece of poo poo" and "the worst work I ever did."

Some of the cast went on to bigger and better things (Liz Sheridan , who played the nosy neighbour Raquel, went on to play Jerry's mother in Seinfeld) but a lot of the cast pretty much dropped out of acting soon after the show ended. Benji Gregory (the son) joined the navy and Andrea Elson (the daughter) now works as a yoga instructor.

Paul Fusco, the creator/puppeteer behind ALF, has been trying to resurrect the character ever since the show ended. There was a tonight show in 2004 called ALF's Hit Talk Show, an attempt at a CGI/live action movie in 2012 and an attempted TV reboot in 2018. ALF has also guest-starred/cameoed in a whole bunch of other shows such as Young Sheldon. He had his brief moment in the spotlight back in 1986 to 1990 and he's been trying to get back there ever since.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Yeah, about 10 years ago various outlets started asking the cast about their time on it, and all of them hated the experience. I think the actress who played the daughter said everyone was actively hoping that it would get cancelled during what turned out to be their final year anyway. (I think that might be one of the few times working actors actively hoped for their own unemployment.) Wright himself (post-addiction) eventually had to put on a game face and publicly (personally) admit that in the end the show made people happy, and that was more important than what the days were like.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

gently caress you alf and gently caress you youtube video. The fat neckbeard that crops up after the n word gets dropped stinks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress off alf

wait

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Paul Fusco, the creator/puppeteer behind ALF, has been trying to resurrect the character ever since the show ended. There was a tonight show in 2004 called ALF's Hit Talk Show, an attempt at a CGI/live action movie in 2012 and an attempted TV reboot in 2018. ALF has also guest-starred/cameoed in a whole bunch of other shows such as Young Sheldon. He had his brief moment in the spotlight back in 1986 to 1990 and he's been trying to get back there ever since.

ALF controls this man.

Alf is some kind of tainted thing that has corrupted this Earth and is using this human as his conduit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Max Wright went on to do the Norm show with Norm MacDonald and Artie Lange.

Artie confirmed that ALF indeed broke Max Wright. As the OP said. The couldn't handle being a classically trained actor being upstaged and clowned on by a puppet.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
The guy playing ALF really terrorised the cast.

My fave ep

https://youtu.be/-BTRlkj01oc

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
FYI: ALF is streaming for free on Tubi.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The only ALF I ever saw was in Mr. Robot.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I wish ALF would terrorize me.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I wish ALF would terrorize me.

Smoke some crack?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The was a TV movie in the 90s called Project: ALF as well. It finally gave America some much-needed closure from the cliffhanger final episode.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I imagine that the guy puppeteering Alf has to be pretty good at his job. I mean all those complex facial tics and weird moves and stuff?
He's got to practice a hell of a lot. He probably keeps a lot of spare Alfs around to practice on to get really really good at it.
Like some of those old marionettes and stuff took years to get really good at, I read about that for a while once it's really complicated poo poo.
So I wonder, you know how you practice stuff over and over and you get really good at it, like playing an instrument or something, but then you start changing things up to really up the game? Like playing the piano one handed or maybe batting left handed if you're into baseball and you just start practicing taking pitches from the other side of the plate? Do you think this guy does stuff like that with Alf to stay really on top of it?
I mean he's got to spend hours doing the normal stuff right? He's got to have that down so like maybe sometimes he takes a practice session with, I dunno, poo poo maybe his foot or something weird? Like he's trying to make the faces and make Alf talk and tell jokes with his drat foot or whatever and see how good he can get it? lol can you imagine this dude just jumping around with a drat Alf on his leg? Fuckin nuts lol I wonder what that Alf puppet would SMELL like inside after that?? I mean not that he would or anyone would be around or anything that'd be sick but just hours of that dude's foot up inside Alf that'd have to smell crazy, right? Sick.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
remember alf? his costar died

in pog form

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Melmac mourns

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I really want ALF to come into my personal private home and torment and terrorize me.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

What the heck are any of you talking about

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Alf

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

hell astro course posted:

What the heck are any of you talking about

Nothing bro I was just thinking though since you're here you gotta any idea how I could maybe get ALF in my own personal home to just rag on me and scare me for hours

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Haha like ideally I'd just reboot the show and have ALF just emotionally abuse me and the cast during the whole filming schedule it would be a blast

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
isn't it weird that back in the eighties a family sitcom character could eat entire cats and still be considered okay but now people can't even watch a horror movie with a huge human bodycount if something happens to an animal.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

isn't it weird that back in the eighties a family sitcom character could eat entire cats and still be considered okay but now people can't even watch a horror movie with a huge human bodycount if something happens to an animal.

Americans are a bunch of tony sopranos now?!?

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Dude was a real cool cat

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

luncheon meat posted:

Max Wright has died. this guy

Was it cancer or the life long pain of being a proper actor who was only remembered for letting some puppet with a Hungarian midget inside upstage him?

look at this little chappy!

RIP ALF dad I genuinely liked the show when I was a kid but it's probably loving terrible now. What are YOUR favourites?

Holy poo poo AlF dad was way cooler than I'd have ever given him credit for. RIP sweet prince.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I was 14 when that show was on. I used to take the screen out of my second story bedroom window, bring a small tv out on the roof and watch Alf reruns on the roof on warm summer nights. That was the only show I did that for. I had a secret Alf viewing ritual and I don’t remember anything about the show except the dads name was Willie.

RIP Willie

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never understood why he didn’t take Alf to New York City or Chicago or whatever is closer and let him loose in some random alley. He eats cats so I mean I think that would put him in his element. :shrug:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

EorayMel posted:

that guy hosed

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lol if you posted:

that guy hosed

Have you never seen Alf? He has children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Have you never seen Alf? He has children.

kids come from having sex but crack rock, homeless threeways is fuckin