Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Endwalker
Available for PC, Mac and PS4 (PS5 coming soon)
Official site: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/
Account management: http://sqex.to/Msp
Discord: Catgirl Bargains
Contact The Chairman on Discord (jimpjorps#0001) for thread moderation issues

For assistance in registering and setting up the game, review the Beginner's Guide.
For more advanced help, see the Play Guide (Windows / Mac / PS4).

The Armoury System is FFXIV's character progression system. In Final Fantasy XIV, your class is determined by your equipped weapon, and you can change your weapon anywhere in the overworld. When a combat class reaches level 30, completing the associated job quest gives you a soul crystal that turns that class into a job. Every job has its own unique abilities and gear, as well as a selection of role abilities shared among all jobs of a certain type. Some jobs are available at character creation, while some require meeting certain story milestones to unlock.

For information about each class's abilities and play styles, visit the Job Guide.

TANKS

Paladins (PLD) use sword, shield and white magic to protect their allies. Paladin starts in Ul'dah as the Gladiator (GLD) class.
Warriors (WAR) use a two-handed axe to keep their enemies' attention. Warrior starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Marauder (MRD) class.
Dark Knights (DRK) use a two-handed sword and black magic to vex their foes. Dark Knight starts in Ishgard*.
Gunbreakers (GNB) use a gunblade to slash at their foes and aetheric cartridges to create magical fields to defend themselves. Gunbreaker starts in Gridania****.

HEALER

White Mages (WHM) use a cane and white magic to provide powerful healing to their allies. White mage starts in Gridania as the Conjurer (CNJ) class.
Scholar (SCH) read from their grimoires to enact battlefield tactics and call upon fairy familiars. Scholar starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Arcanist (ACN) class.
Astrologians (AST) bend fate with their "star globe" orreries and a deck of tarot cards. Astrologian starts in Ishgard*.
Sages (SGE) use a set of four flying foci to simultaneously heal and attack. Sage starts in Limsa Lominsa†.

MELEE DPS

Monks (MNK) use their fists and the power of their chakras. Monk starts in Ul'dah as the Pugilist (PGL) class.
Dragoons (DRG) invoke the might of the great wyrm Nidhogg as they attack with their spears. Dragoon starts in Gridania as the Lancer (LNC) class.
Ninja (NIN) use special hand-signs called "mudra" and a pair of dual blades. Ninja starts in Limsa Lominsa as the Rogue (ROG) class**.
Samurai (SAM) study the blade to perfect the art of "sen", balancing the three forces of setsu, getsu and ka. Samurai starts in Ul'dah***.
Reapers (RPR) use a Garlean form of voidsent-summoning to imbue their scythes with dark power. Reaper starts in Ul'dah†.

PHYSICAL RANGED DPS

Bards (BRD) combine archery and song to provide support as they attack their foes. Bard starts in Gridania as the Archer (ARC) class.
Machinists (MCH) use magitechnological handguns and turrets to deal damage and support their party. Machinist starts in Ishgard*.
Dancers (DNC) aid their party with a series of dance steps while attacking with thrown chakrams. Dancer starts in Limsa Lominsa****.

MAGICAL RANGED DPS

Black Mages (BLM) channel the pure destructive power of fire, ice and thunder magic through their staves. Black Mage starts in Ul'dah as the Thaumaturge (THM) class.
Summoners (SMN) invoke the essences of the primals through their magic grimoires. Summoner starts in Limsa Lomisa as the Arcanist (ACN) class.
Red Mages (RDM) merge white and black magic into a fast, hybrid style that builds up magical power that is unleashed through their enchanted rapiers. Red mage starts in Ul'dah***.

* These jobs become available once you complete the story of A Realm Reborn up to the quest "Before the Dawn".
** This class becomes available once you have at least one other class at level 10.
*** These jobs become available once you reach level 50 and have the Endwalker expansion registered to your account.
**** These jobs become available once you reach level 60 and have the Endwalker expansion registered to your account.
† These jobs become available once you reach level 70 and have the Endwalker expansion registered to your account.

Gathering and crafting are their own classes with unique equipment and abilities, as well.

The Disciplines of the Land are the gathering classes:
  • Botanists (BTN) gather wood, fiber and plants.
  • Miners (MIN) gather rock, ore and raw gems.
  • Fishers (FSH) gather sea creatures.

The Disciplines of the Hand are the crafters of Eorzea:
  • Alchemists (ALC), makers of various potions, ethers and other consumables, as well as Arcanist and Conjuror weapons
  • Armorers (ARM), makers of heavy metal armor
  • Blacksmiths (BSM), makers of metal weapons and tools
  • Carpenters (CRP), makers of all things wooden
  • Culinarians (CUL), makers of food and drink that provide long-lasting buffs
  • Goldsmiths (GSM), makers of fine jewelery from precious gems and rare metals, including Thaumaturge weapons
  • Leatherworkers (LTW), who turn beast hides and sinews into medium armor
  • Weavers (WVR), makers of fabric, thread and light armor

• Is this game a sequel of FFXI? No. Besides elements of the setting and the Armoury system, the two games are very dissimilar; combat is much faster, travel is less onerous, there is a much higher emphasis on solo content in FFXIV, and EXP camps are no longer a viable way to level, much less the sole way. If you played FFXI and liked the setting and story but ended up frustrated with how much time you spent killing crabs, try FFXIV.

• What restrictions does the trial version have?
    • The trial is only open to new players who have not previously played the trial, participated in any beta test or already purchased the game.
    • You may create one character per server on up to 8 servers.
    • The trial has no time restriction. You can play the trial as long as you want and return to it at any time.
    • The level cap is Lv.60 on all classes. You can play through the "A Realm Reborn" and "Heavensward" content.
    • You can only carry a small amount of gil and can't use the Market Boards, mail, or trade with other players.
    • You can't use zone-wide chat or send private messages to other players.
    • You can join existing linkshells (chat channels), but not Free Companies (guilds).
    • You cannot invite other players to parties, but can use the Duty Finder (automatic party matching).
    • You can't log into the community sites like The Lodestone or the official forums.
    • All these restrictions are removed if you subscribe.

• I haven't played for a long period of time. What is new? Probably a whole lot, now that there's been three expansions. More detailed information about each patch can be found at the Lodestone's Patch Log.
  • When should I buy the expansion? You get access to Heavensward with the base game purchase. Buying the most recent expansion gives you access to all the other previous expansions as well. Buying Endwalker unlocks Stormblood as well.
    If you want a Viera or Hrothgar character, buy Endwalker immediately. If you want to play samurai or red mage, buy it once you hit level 50. If you want to play dark knight, astrologian, machinist, dancer, gunbreaker, reaper or sage, or you don't care about any of those jobs, you can wait until you've completed the A Realm Reborn story.

PURCHASING AND SUBSCRIBING
  • Where can I buy the game? FFXIV is available in physical form from your friendly local retailers, in digital form from Steam, Amazon, Humble Bundle, GameStop, Square-Enix Store and others, and on the PlayStation Store. Prices vary by retailer and region.
  • How much does it cost to play? FFXIV is a subscription game. Purchasing the game gives you one free month. Please see the official website for your region (North America, Europe and Oceania, Japan and Asia) for pricing information.
  • If I buy a copy for one platform, can I play my character on a different one? You need to buy a key for the platform you're playing on. If you want to play both on PC and PS4, you need to buy keys for both platforms. However, once you do, your character can be played on both. You will also receive a free month for every additional platform you activate.
  • I bought the standard edition for my platform. Can I buy the collector's edition later to get the upgrade? No, but you have two options: either buy the collector's edition for a different platform, or buy the digital collector's upgrade directly from S-E for $20/£15/15 €/¥2,366 depending on region.
  • Should I buy a copy on Steam if I'm already a PC player? No. You won't be able to register the key to your existing account. Steam accounts count as PC activations, and you can't activate two of the same platform on the same account.
  • I bought my FFXIV key from Steam. Can I buy the upgrade to Endwalker from another store? / I bought my FFXIV key from a store besides Steam. Can I buy the upgrade to Endwalker from Steam? No. Steam FFXIV accounts can only be upgraded by Steam expansion keys.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
  • Do Windows, Mac and PS4/PS5 players play on the same servers? Yes.
  • Do North American, European, Asian and Oceanic players play on the same servers? There are no geographic restrictions to servers, but most players choose the servers closest to them. There are currently datacenters in California, Germany and Japan, and a new Australian server group is coming soon.
  • I want to add a key to my account. Do I add a platform, or add a service account? Add a platform. Adding a service account makes a separate second account.
  • I didn't read this post, and I added a service account instead of a platform. How do I fix it? Fill out this Square-Enix support form.
  • Where can I get the PC client? http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/. However, you must have an active account to update it.
  • Should I use an authenticator? Yes. You can buy a keyfob authenticator from S-E for $11, or you can install a software authenticator on your phone or tablet (available for iOS and Android). By adding an authenticator to your account, you will get to teleport to one location of your choice for free.

STARTING OUT
  • What are the "world classifications"? Servers are divided into three groups:
    • A congested world is a high-population server that is unavailable for character creation and character transfers until the restrictions are manually lifted. Congested servers may not open to new characters for a long period of time, depending on how active the server is.
    • A standard world is a medium-population server that may be unavailable for character creation at peak times, but is always available for character transfers.
    • A preferred world is a low-population server that offers players a special bonus of double EXP, free leveling gear, 1 million gil and 15 free days of play time if they create a character there and reach level 30. You cannot transfer a character off a preferred server for 90 days. Like standard worlds, they may disable character creation during peak times.
    Check the current server status page for the current world classifications.
  • Does it matter what race I pick? Mechanically, the difference in stats at Lv.90 for any given pair of races is less than 1%. The difference between races is essentially cosmetic.
  • Does it matter what nameday/guardian I pick? No. They're just decorations for your character profile.
  • How do I choose what city I start in? Your choice of starting class determines what city you start in. Refer to the class list above.
  • How many classes can I level? Is there a limit on how high I can level other classes? You can level every class to the level cap. There is no cap on how many classes you can level.
  • How do I unlock a new class? Go to the receptionist at the guild whose class you want to unlock. The guildmaster will hand you a weapon; equipping it will unlock the class.
  • I went to a guild and the receptionist wouldn't give me a quest. Complete your first class's Lv.10 quest first.
  • The class I want to unlock doesn't have a guild in my city. Complete the Lv.15 story quest for your airship pass, then travel to that city.
  • Which quests should I be doing? The most important quests to do are the Main Scenario quests (the ones marked with a meteor icon), since feature unlocks are tied to your main scenario progress. The Main Scenario UI element will always point you to the next main story quest.

FURTHER GAMEPLAY
  • What do the stats do? Hover over the stat names in your Character window for information about what they modify.
  • Where is the "flank"? The sides. Anything that isn't "front" or "back" is the "flank". You can see on the ground target circle where back ends and flank begins where the line changes thickness:

• How do I tell how much aggro/hate/enmity I have? There are two indicators that display your current enmity level.

The party frames indicate everyone's relative enmity on the currently targeted enemy:

• The "A" on the gladiator's icon indicates that the currently targeted enemy is attacking him. The numbers indicate the second, third, and fourth highest enmity.
    • The length of the small bar indicates your hate level relative to the maximum.

The enemies list indicates your relative enmity for every enemy you've engaged:

• Green circle: less than 50% of maximum enmity
    • Yellow up triangle: between 50% and 75% of maximum enmity
    • Orange down triangle: between 75% and 99% of maximum enmity
    • Red square: maximum enmity - it is currently attacking you
    The length of the bars indicates each enemy's remaining HP.

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Catgirl Bargains Alliance
Primal center: Excalibur (Group NA)
If you're a new player, join Third Party Tools or Eorzea Mahjong Club -- they've got plenty of room! PBC and DGKK are nearly out of space
Please Be Careful, Plot 13, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Dragongod Knightkings, Plot 8, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)
Third Party Tools, Plot 8, 8th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane)
Eorzea Mahjong Club, Plot 25, 2nd Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)

Chaos center: Omega (Group EU)
Please Calm Down: Plot 37, 5th Ward, Shirogane (Kugane) Discord server: https://discord.gg/HXFJJVD

Elemental center: Kujata (Group JP, ASEA)
Ned Kelly Fan Club: Plot 24, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)

To be invited to one of these groups, join the Discord and follow the instructions in the #welcome channel:

• Step 1. Accept the Discord server's rules in the #before-you-begin channel.

• Step 2. Request an invite code by typing pls inviteme [FC] [firstname lastname] in #ffgoons-auth, where [FC] is the company you wish to join: PBC, DGKK, TPT or EMC (NA groups), PCD (EU group) or NKFC (JP/ASEA group). @Tataru will send you a direct message with an invite code.

• Step 3. Right-click on the placard outside the FC house or an FC member and chose "View Company Profile", then "Submit Application". In the box that pops up, type in your full Discord username (for example, minfilia#1234; not your nickname) and the provided code. Your application will be processed as soon as possible.

November 2021 update: Membership is open to everyone now. If you've got a friend that wants to join, just point them to the Discord server and they can apply as usual.

Other independent goon-friendly groups
These groups don't use the Discord application method. Contact them in-game if you are interested in joining.

Primal center: Exodus (Group NA)
Principality of Zeon, Plot 13, 1st Ward, The Goblet (Ul'dah)

Crystal center: Goblin (Group NA)
Proletariat Patrons, Plot 18, 16th Ward, Mist (Limsa Lominsa)

If you're in a group on another server that's looking for members, PM The Chairman

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 30, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
woo hoo, new thread.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is it Friday yet?

LET ME IN! LET ME THROW OPEN THE GATES!

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Blizzard gave me 3 days of subscription to check out BfA. Don't think I will though, guess I can go clean around the apartment.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
also abbreviate this expansion as SB, don't be a coward my friends

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Relax Or DIE posted:

also abbreviate this expansion as SB, don't be a coward my friends

heck, i just abbreviate it as S

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
The only official abbreviation is SB2, since it is the sequel to stormblood.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Who else is ready to bring some fuckin' shadow?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
f uck

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I am gun

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/cb_0_/status/1136434335299465216

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My gates are ready.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
got some screenshots of the static!

I like this one, though you can't see my face:

naming names:

SOMEONE used third party tools (and I don't mean the FC!)

our Paladin couldn't make it, so I took care of that

thank you for coming, everyone!!

for context: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823905&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1933#post496224723

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Throw wide the gates, daddy.

I am very excited to play PLD and actually have fun this go around!

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I can't play until Sunday but I am so loving ready to be a hoppy DRG bun

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Friday can't get here soon enough

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
For my part, I ended Stormblood by popping up in Naheo's static pics, then I finished the night the same way I ended the last night of Heavensward, with a couple of cups of HQ Hot Chocolate and some stories for an old friend. (HW spoilers and such)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hello new thread

i am the maps god

i look forward to mapping with you in the future

https://i.imgur.com/YI6rdwD.mp4

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fantasia: Drank
Clothes: Off

Preparations ready for bun.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

exiting stormblood the same way i entered it

half naked in gridania

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I didn't get my namazu earrings. I failed the game and my friends.

Neat horse, though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this expansion will be good "I.M.o."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Still don't know if I'm gonna dive in with Astro or White Mage. Astro skills look so cool and WHM skills don't look as good as Stone 4 and Aero 3.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
A Retrospective: I really enjoyed Stormblood. The story could have used some smoothing out, but the big beats hit me hard. I enjoyed getting back into the game and loved the raids this time around. I didn't manage to sneak into too many Savage/EX raids like I wanted, but I hope to change that for SHB.

I did get a lot done I didn't do my first go around. Managed to get onto the RP servers and make some good friends. Finished my BRD HW relic finally. Did well in the raids I did happen to join in. Chilled with Yoship for a day. Even won a 3-liner from Khloe for some sweet MGP mounts!

Mostly just happy to see the game take off. As much as I loved WoW, FF tends to be far less toxic and welcoming. People seemed genuinely excited and eager to play the game, which makes for a much more fun community to be around. People are helpful, raids are fun and chill, and while there are a few grumblings here and there, they are usually understandable rather than rooted in spite or negativity.

Can't wait for SHB and to keep hanging with cool goons and others in Discord for the ride. :toot:

Terrene
May 1, 2009
I'm naked and ready.. to fantasia.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

While I was levelling MCH in preparation for the expansion, I decided to take the time to do some gposing in each Stormblood leveling dungeon to make a little farewell tour remembrance album. Wish I had the idea earlier so I had time to do at least some of my favorite lvl 70 dungeons as well, but ah well.

Excited to see all the changes hit the ground running Friday, and the new story of course!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Trust system NPCs will now be included in group pose at the time of duty completion.
Trust and squadron NPCs will now repeat their most recently executed action upon duty completion.

aww yea

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Still don't know if I'm gonna dive in with Astro or White Mage. Astro skills look so cool and WHM skills don't look as good as Stone 4 and Aero 3.

I'm sticking with AST. Nothing that I liked about the class really changed, and they got some decent new actions, so I'm happy. Might give WHM a go later on.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

My future Gun Bun is ready.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I still have to finish the entirety of Stormblood

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Goodbye, MCH. You were cool in SB.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3823905&perpage=40&pagenumber=1619#post493599593

Throw wide the gates of spoilers, Warrior of Darkness.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Veritonsils
Sep 14, 2007

For. Eh. Ver.
Dawn of the final day, 25-ish hours remain.

e; ahhh beaten, that's what I get for getting lost in gpose.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Becoming what I must on the ground floor of this thread.

See you Stormblood...

Poops Mcgoots fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 27, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I have a feeling a lot of people went with some variation of, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Goodnight, sweet prince...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 27, 2019