Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The trick is to go into all new content as DPS so you feel no obligation to actually know anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Is the Ivalice stuff not in the alliance roulette? Been sitting in queue for 2 hours now

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
never apologize for doing msq dungeons/trials blind

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The trick is to go into all new content as DPS so you feel no obligation to actually know anything

actually the trick is to go in as tank instead, and just dps facing backwards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Is the Ivalice stuff not in the alliance roulette? Been sitting in queue for 2 hours now

They are, but by nature it will fire a lot less since you have to be 70, also a lot of people cheese their ilvl to force Crystal Tower raids

I find they only have reasonable queues in prime time. It is probably even better than it used to be now that they are Resistance Weapon prereqs/mogtome sources

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Senator Drinksalot posted:

It is, but the queues are sometimes slow because it's less popular content.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've been in this group no one pushed the button on Leviathan and we all drowned.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've gotten Ivalice raids 5 times out of the last 7 I've ran Alliance Raid Roulette, so it's popping. Data centre prime times should help. Oddly, not running as a tank probably helps too, although that might matter less in roulettes compared to just the latest raid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think in general it's a good idea to go into things blind, because it actually teaches you how to recognize and handle mechanics, rather than just rote memorization of a guide. It also teaches you how to improvise for when poo poo hits the fan.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've gotten Ivalice raids 5 times out of the last 7 I've ran Alliance Raid Roulette, so it's popping. Data centre prime times should help. Oddly, not running as a tank probably helps too, although that might matter less in roulettes compared to just the latest raid.

I queued as a 72 SAM, probably wasn't peak times although I did have to wait in a ~24 person queue to log in

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah wiping in trials or raids is a decent learning experience, especially since it's instant restart.

Except I guess in the first Steps of Faith

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fister Roboto posted:

I think in general it's a good idea to go into things blind, because it actually teaches you how to recognize and handle mechanics, rather than just rote memorization of a guide. It also teaches you how to improvise for when poo poo hits the fan.

Some people learn by doing, failing and trying again. Other people learn by watching a 3 minute video by a wannabe comedian and doing, failing and trying again because the healer got squished by mechanical horses. There's a lot of space between playing blind and "rote memorisation of a guide".

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I recommend watching a short guide (usually mizteq) for anything in ARR and HW and then going in blind for anything in Stormblood and especially Shadowbringers. As long as you mention you're new or doing it for the first time, or hell like me, you just haven't been there in years, it's always good to communicate.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
What’s the song that plays at the end of the DRG 70 quest? It’s a really chill piano version of the HW main theme, and I can’t remember if it came up in HW proper.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Or there’s situations where I read the mechanic, so I know what I’m supposed to do, but can’t actually follow the mechanic cause I don’t see what the hell I’m supposed to see. For example, the scales on the Sophia fight. I’m looking for blue and orange meteors I guess? I watched those scales and didn’t see poo poo, though.

Or the Lakshmi fight where I could swear the guide said to use the dungeon mechanic button once at the start after adds, then not needed again when not in extreme mode. It is very much needed again.

Also, pretty sure I got yelled at for bringing a damage stack indicator to the main group in Susano. But I thought that’s what those pulsing arrows meant. Unless by coincidence they were yelling at someone else for aiming something at the group.

You really just gotta roll with it in this game. The mechanics often get telegraphed well with consistent indicators, but not always. Like needing to stand in a tornado in order to avoid an arm sweep goes against how the game otherwise trains players. I’ll just laugh it off, but a small handful of players get lovely about it all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

how the hell did we go from estinien in the lvl 50 drg quest to estinien in hw

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HPanda posted:

Or there’s situations where I read the mechanic, so I know what I’m supposed to do, but can’t actually follow the mechanic cause I don’t see what the hell I’m supposed to see. For example, the scales on the Sophia fight. I’m looking for blue and orange meteors I guess? I watched those scales and didn’t see poo poo, though.

Or the Lakshmi fight where I could swear the guide said to use the dungeon mechanic button once at the start after adds, then not needed again when not in extreme mode. It is very much needed again.

Also, pretty sure I got yelled at for bringing a damage stack indicator to the main group in Susano. But I thought that’s what those pulsing arrows meant. Unless by coincidence they were yelling at someone else for aiming something at the group.

You really just gotta roll with it in this game. The mechanics often get telegraphed well with consistent indicators, but not always. Like needing to stand in a tornado in order to avoid an arm sweep goes against how the game otherwise trains players. I’ll just laugh it off, but a small handful of players get lovely about it all.

So the mechanics you've listed for Sophia are for the extreme versions. If you were just trying for the story content, the Ex guide won't help at all. Lakshmi normal does use the vril a few times, but I think only her transition attack is absolutely necessary. Some, like her full arena knockback, can be survived from the centre, and the other vril-affected attacks are pretty weak. It was probably a bad guide.

I think Sephirot normal tornado also has a stack marker in the tornado, as a clue to stand there.

And yes, the inward-arrows stack marker always means to stack.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 14, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Chrysalis is fairly easy nowadays but it was a bit of a pub-stomper back in the day (a lot of the mechanics are fairly unique to that fight and Triple can easily one shot a tank if the tanks/healers aren't expecting it) so there's some leftover salt from "ugh try #5" trials roulettes. It's similar to Steps of Faith where the fight is not at all hard NOW but it used to cause a lot of groans. That isn't an excuse for people being shits about it of course.

If you're new just go into any story fight. If you spend most of it dead, you spend most of it dead. It's fine, expected even. There are very few ways you can cause a wipe on your own in story content, especially as a dps. Extremes and Savage stuff, yes you should watch a video. You're still gonna spend a good chunk of time dead your first few attempts, and this is why learning parties exist.

Some of my favorite memories of this game are virgin runs of content where I had no idea what was going to happen and got pasted in some highly amusing way. Don't be afraid to die! Get in there!

e: Also yes if you are reading an extreme guide do NOT apply it to the normal-mode raid. Sophia's scales move works the OPPOSITE in normal as it does in extreme for example, if you follow the extreme guide you will suicide every time.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 14, 2020

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Had a good day in the Primal PvP mines yesterday:

Hilda's so good

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

mistaya posted:

Some of my favorite memories of this game are virgin runs of content where I had no idea what was going to happen and got pasted in some highly amusing way. Don't be afraid to die! Get in there!

Yeah. My favourite times in the game are hitting new dungeons and trials with an absolutely blind group.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
estinien in the 70 quest is like a completely different loving person, who even ARE you

Awesome! posted:

ysale

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mistaya posted:

If you spend most of it dead, you spend most of it dead.
see this is much less fun for me than just watching a 2 minute video before a trial or raid. getting knocked off in ravana and then spending the whole rest of the fight just sitting there my first time sucked rear end.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Awesome! posted:

Exploding does a lot to help a person chill out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Making it so that you can revive people who fell off the platform was such a huge improvement in later fights

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Awesome! posted:

see this is much less fun for me than just watching a 2 minute video before a trial or raid. getting knocked off in ravana and then spending the whole rest of the fight just sitting there my first time sucked rear end.

Yeah falling off the island in Bismarck super early in the fight was a mood killer.

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I like to go in blind because if I can figure out what the boss is trying to do and avoid it, I feel like a Jojo.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

speaking of drg, i am liking it a lot now that i am out of 3 button lancer hell. diving straight into packs in potd is a lot of fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Awesome! posted:

I watched a video and still got knocked off.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Awesome! posted:

On the other hand, Sephirot is literally the last fight where falling off means you're not recoverable, so Ravana is near the end of that premise. This is where I sort of understand the "watch a guide for anything 3.2 or before" because the earlier the game gets, the more unintuitive one-offs it has, but that's also balanced out by HP being so low in comparison that the fight won't take long anyway.

I'm in favor of doing everything blind because it helps you understand mechanics as mechanics rather than as individual sequences you have to memorize. One of the traits of a good player is to allocate as little active thought as possible on "what should I be doing to survive" and as much as possible on "what should I be doing to keep uptime."

Also because the content is designed with the intent of you going in blind. Hell, all content is, and the difficulty curve on something like ultimate is more up to how comprehensive guides and strats get rather than any gear improvement or content nerfs--compare this to the WoW method of gradual boss nerfing until everyone gets it.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 14, 2020

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Kerrzhe posted:

actually the trick is to go in as tank instead, and just dps facing backwards

This is the real trick. You can get around a lot of mechanics simply by having an extra 40k hp.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Itzena posted:

Oh. Oh dear.

I don't care how cool the story turns out if the central character is so annoying I can't get there :colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I don't care how cool the story turns out if the central character is so annoying I can't get there :colbert:
its ok. you are still a good person.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

AnonSpore posted:

That acclimatizes you to the mechanic so that when you finally get the big floating Danger Donut above your head you've hopefully seen someone else do it once or twice.

That's some serious optimism about human nature.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

HPanda posted:

Yeah, this is one of the ones I mostly got right last night, but I have pretty similar issues -- I saw the tethers on the platform most of the time, but I never had the time to swing around the camera and look at the meteors because I'm also watching everyone's health bars and repositioning for AOEs and trying to DPS and watch my mana. I know it's one of the MMO skill testers in that you have to be able to juggle all that while responding to the boss, but the first couple times I do a fight, especially if I haven't ever seen the mechanics and animations, I have a hard time recognizing and reacting to them in time.

During the third Sophia meteor I remember seeing two tethers on the left and one on the right and thinking "wait, but what if the one tether is a blue meteor?", but then someone dropped an AOE marker or something on the left side and so I panicked along with half the raid, and we all ran to the right and got knocked off the edge. :v:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn’t really care for Fray the idea that you’re full of rage and resentment didn’t really fit with my WoL very much, and I know my WoL would never consider just leaving everybody

Pray return

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

One thing that will hold true throughout the game: if you're unsure of the mechanics but literally everyone else is standing in a certain spot and you're all by yourself...

You may want to move.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mistaya posted:

One thing that will hold true throughout the game: if you're unsure of the mechanics but literally everyone else is standing in a certain spot and you're all by yourself...

You may want to move.

You might be surprised at how often I see people fail this concept.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hrm, everyone is moving behind these ice cubes that appeared. Oh well gotta keep spamming ice 1, I'm an ice mage btw

Oh whoa I died

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I'm leveling an alt purely on LDR and MSQDR, can I get away with just running Ironworks/Shire/Scaevan all the way to 80

A bit late but elaborating on this on top of what others have said.

For DPS and healer, the primary and substats remain competitive up to around 54/64/74, around which dungeon and HQ items will be same-ish or better. However, tomestone gear always loses out on armor. The armor part is vital for tanks because they will take bigger hits constantly, and you'll notice solo content hitting you harder as you keep your tomestone gear and gradually lose out on armor. It's still fine for doing dailies, especially if you have your chocobo out, but it's noticeable when you have better gear. MSQDR is fine because it's synced 50 content that you already massively outgear but LDR will drag as you pass the halfway mark in each expansion's level cap.