Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wacky Delly posted:

This is the real trick. You can get around a lot of mechanics simply by having an extra 40k hp.

exactly! and since many mechanics don't even target the tank at all you can just sit there and laugh at the puny dps as they have to like, move and stuff. tanking is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

mistaya posted:

One thing that will hold true throughout the game: if you're unsure of the mechanics but literally everyone else is standing in a certain spot and you're all by yourself...

You may want to move.

Conversely,

*me, moves to where the group is*
*everyone else* "What the gently caress, you were in charge of that side!" or "What the gently caress, why'd you aim that unmarked attack at us?"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i love when tg cid targets someone with the "follow you and kill you" aoe who doesnt move and then the entire rest of the party scatters like rats

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

/a Holy Sword: Sword in ground, get in. Sword sideways, get away. Sword over platform, avoid.
/wait 3
/a Shadowblade marker, drop in back of platform (don't overlap). Crush Weapon marker, keep running away from group (4 hits).
/wait 3
/a Tether attack should be passed between NON-TANKS after each hit.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unwTkH4etNQ

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i have literally typed "in" "out" "drop in back" etc during the fight and it never matters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Air is stored in the boobs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Lol

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Haha I've seen this a few times too. There are way too many people who think that the most commonly used strat for something is literally the only way to do it.

I'mma be fair here. I've literally never seen a group kill the hole in time before the group wipes if they don't use a limit break on it.

It's kind of a catch-22. If your group is competent enough to kill the rift in time, they'll use the limit break on it. If they're not, they'll have wasted the limit break beforehand :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chrysalis is honestly way overtuned, even if the tanks know to get in the towers (which is already kind of a stretch because I don't think tank-specific towers have been a thing before that fight) so much damage goes out even if they do it right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Synced down, the rift dies right away. As long as the tanks eat the first few meteors, lb3 isn't close to necessary.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Most of the problem is that on an incompetent group that blew limit break early (or hell, even on most groups that didn't), most DPS i see in Chrysalis nowadays think they're big boys and can tank a meteor. In like 90% of the cases it's not even "imma soak this meteor instead of the tank", it's "imma soak this meteor WITH the tank" that kills them.

And then no one's left to actually kill the rift

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

All I care about in Chrysalis is popping as many buffs as I can as I enter the black hole and laughing maniacally as they all get extended to be basically infinite. Does that work even on stuff like Hallowed Ground?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i have literally typed "in" "out" "drop in back" etc during the fight and it never matters.

Well you know what they say: Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death and death alone

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Been a long time since I've played Tactics but I don't remember Ramza being a huge loving rear end in a top hat at all, what's the deal?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Martman posted:

All I care about in Chrysalis is popping as many buffs as I can as I enter the black hole and laughing maniacally as they all get extended to be basically infinite. Does that work even on stuff like Hallowed Ground?

It absolutely does! It's great.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ramza bas Lexentale is a prick
Ramza Beoulve is the one in Tactics

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't really play blm except if I just feel like shaking things up from smn time. How often do people actually use manaward to disrespect mechanics and keep casting? Is that an actual thing? I know I've heard people say that's what you do but I feel like you probably can't actually get away with that can you?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2phha5hq1k
This is an old guide on tanking the Chrysalis, it's just notable for me that it's a 2015-era video that doesn't rely on LB3 to break the rift (the Dragoon TRIES to use it too late), and now we have a lot of power creep that would blow that time out of the water.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah that's right

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I actually had a group that had some... incredibly low dps (we got two cycles of darkness maze on Ultima, that's how bad.) We managed to get through TG Cid by virtue of me putting a marker on my head and saying:

Arnold voice: "Come with me if you want to live."

And somewhat shockingly, they followed me, and we lived! I felt really happy about that. Even if our icewolf exploded cuz three of them ran to the wrong gap and were too scared to cross the orange.

It is kind of hilarious to me how ingrained ORANGE BAD becomes, to the point where as you learn to do difficult content disrespecting the orange marker (when there is one) is often necessary to maintain uptime and you have to re-train yourself to be okay with it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt know it was possible to get a 2nd maze

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

NEITHER DID I.

We ended up dying in the second phase and having to use the checkpoint after explaining "plz catch the demons they asplode." It was a truly strange run, I think half the alliance was newbies.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Glagha posted:

I don't really play blm except if I just feel like shaking things up from smn time. How often do people actually use manaward to disrespect mechanics and keep casting? Is that an actual thing? I know I've heard people say that's what you do but I feel like you probably can't actually get away with that can you?

It's excellent if you're doing MSQ/Praetorium. I just tank through the bit lasers in Ultima 2 if nobody is killing them.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well you know what they say: Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death and death alone

God drat I've never wanted to like a post more than this one.

mistaya posted:

I actually had a group that had some... incredibly low dps (we got two cycles of darkness maze on Ultima, that's how bad.)

This is honestly impressive. Possibly a world first.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Beoulve youth guides your fate, but have you the faith to fulfill his legacy?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

You might be surprised at how often I see people fail this concept.

And how often they decide to immediately run back to their original spot and get killed after the healer rescues them over.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Trying to catch Son of Levin and I'm constantly surprised how good the music is at Camp Tranquil's Rootslake. Just really, really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn’t really care for Fray the idea that you’re full of rage and resentment didn’t really fit with my WoL very much, and I know my WoL would never consider just leaving everybody

That's not what that is. Fray/Esteem is the self-centered part of your mind. This isn't a bad or selfish thing, everyone has that part of them that processes their basic wants and needs. It's just that that is all Fray is, the personification of the part of you focused on your needs. And you are an adventurer, and that means you are going to die bloody. Probably pointlessly too, success tends to come with a higher chance of survival a lot of the time. The thing that takes you out is almost certainly to be a heroic but doomed last stand, or just getting a bit slower and dying to other people's stupid bullshit. Now you, as a fully developed person? You might be fine with that. A personification of the most self-involved part of your personality? Is not going to find it easy to be ok with that.

As we hit the 60-70 chain of quests we progress to the opposite side of your personality, the one who is only concerned with everyone else, with all you've lost and how far you'd go to save everyone. And it's just as dysfunctional, because again: It's not a person. It's one small aspect of a person. And the resolution: It's Fray versus the part of you they railed against so hard in the 30-50 chain. At this point though, we have growth. Fray forgives that part of you, and admits they love them. Because that *is* who you are, and Fray can't not care about you. It is fundamentally the part of you that cares about you. And yes, that means you are going to die a sad, lonely death. Fray has learned to accept that, accept death and loss, and learn to move on. Which, surprise, the entire Dark Knight quest chain is about death. Learning to accept you are going to die, learning to find meaning in life, and learning to move past loss.

And if you want to say that that isn't your character, that you wouldn't feel that way, well, ShB spoilers you did die. Everyone you care about died, then you died, and the bad guys won. That was your life, and it was exactly as bad as Fray thought it would be. And it's always going to be that way, because that's the only way it ends. You keep being a hero, eventually those dice come up snake eyes and you are done. A part of your personality freaking out in the face of that doesn't mean you are a bad person, it means you have basic pattern recognition skills. It also means that poo poo gets weird when distinct parts of your psyche start developing individual personhood.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I can admit that my character would have those parts of himself and still think that those parts of my character would not express themselves in that way

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Coming into Shadowbringers are there any classes I should level to 70 because their class quests are relevant?

Heard a lot about Dark Knight being very relevant. (Which should be obvious just from the trailer).

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Nowhere near to the same degree as, say, Dragoon in Heavensward.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dark Knight isn't really relevant for Shadowbringers. Thematically it's just used as the warrior of light insert because it's vaguely dark vs light, but the job doesn't have anything to do with that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dark Knight is thematically resonant with Shadowbringers' MSQ, but it's not mandatory to play to understand or appreciate the MSQ at all. I'm not sure if being a DRK ever gets brought up during the MSQ.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
BLM is also thematically relevant, if you think about it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For me, the weird out of the way optional content that has some interesting connection to ShB is Lost City of Amdapor (Hard)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For me, the weird out of the way optional content that has some interesting connection to ShB is Lost City of Amdapor (Hard)

I had completely forgotten about that by the time I got to Shadowbringers and then months later finally got it again in the roulette and freaked out

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does that mean that White Mage might also be good to play through to 70?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Clarste posted:

BLM is also thematically relevant, if you think about it.

If anything, BLM is more relevant than DRK.