Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Walt did nothing wrong if you pay attention it was actually Junior pulling all the strings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Gale was the Curtis Lemansky killed by Jesse who was the Shane Vendrell.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

Breaking Bad was a blatant recontextualization of The Shield. Bald, over the top anti heroes. Both break up their families and subsequently corrupt them into illegal cooperation, who then ultimately turn on their former spouses and work with the police. The witness protection for the separated wife and kids at the end. Jesse was essentially the Shane of BB. Both were corrupted by their partner and had their lives ruined. Etc.

i think they were just similar genres. Its not like The Shield is a deep and meaningful piece of originality. The guy went on to make Sons of Anarchy for god's sake.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The main thing I disliked about breaking bad is that things just happened for the sake of it and they just wave it away and it seemed really obvious that they were making it up as it went along. Like the kid who gets poisoned from the plant and it turns out Walt was behind it. I guess some people asked the director about it and he was like “uuh, well he worked in the school system so he used his connections to get the poison in the kid’s lunch milk, anyway let’s not talk about this anymore.”

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
did anybody mention Fargo yet? because I want to mention Fargo. there. Fargo mentioned it is very good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I liked it and I'm looking forward to the new season in fact

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Bad Titty Puker posted:

did anybody mention Fargo yet? because I want to mention Fargo. there. Fargo mentioned it is very good

how does it compare to the film

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

this thread is haunted by ghost posts

e: fargo owns

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Not as good but that's an almost impossibly high bar. Also less grounded in realism. Weird poo poo happens a lot. It's basically a coen bros love letter and since biblical poo poo happens in some of their movies...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

its not as good as the film but very worth watching, all the seasons are great self contained stories that have the same kind of theme of self defeating people who are out of their depths

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Thanks OP for reminding me how much this show owned. drat, Breaking Bad was loving amazing.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I really liked the first season and absolutely hated the second.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

Had to stop watching the Shield. Killing animals no bueno and it was a loving stupid reason for it.

Was it the cat thing? Because that’s when it clicked that the series was different and actually really good.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Shield has one of the best finales ever and Breaking Bad was a 100% paint-by-the-numbers fan service ending.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah I think the Shield has the best finale of any TV show I've seen

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I really liked the first season and absolutely hated the second.

same

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Moridin920 posted:

same

The third isn't bad.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Me and my gf have been rewatching BB, her for the first time. I can't wait to get to the end of the series to see it all come crashing down again, with the barrel of money and Hank and everything. drat this show rules super hard!! I've never even heard of The Wire, Oz, or the Sopranos. And I don't even own a TV.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Apples and oranges, which is a problem if you want it to be more like the film. The first and second seasons are both fantastic and very different from each other, so it's worth giving them a watch. I haven't seen 3 yet.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Got to the bit in BB with the smackhead parents and their kid and I forgot how gross and horrible it is.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FactsAreUseless posted:

Apples and oranges, which is a problem if you want it to be more like the film. The first and second seasons are both fantastic and very different from each other, so it's worth giving them a watch. I haven't seen 3 yet.

I wasn't very excited for the 3rd season but holy poo poo Ewan MacGregor loving destroys both characters he plays. He's worth the price of admission.

Also the villain is physically uncomfortable to watch whenever he's on screen.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Drunken Baker posted:

Got to the bit in BB with the smackhead parents and their kid and I forgot how gross and horrible it is.

She ain't no skank

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

same

“Family meeting!”

:cry:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

Was it the cat thing? Because that’s when it clicked that the series was different and actually really good.

It was walking the line of entertaining and stupid, and that put it way too far over the stupid line for me to continue any further. If not that, I'm sure something else by the end of the season would have done it anyways.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boardwalk Empire is a v good show that nobody ever talks about. Okay if you hate Steve Buscemi, but the rest of the ensemble cast is impeccable. Al Capone is wickedly played by an English dude. The character guns down a poo poo ton of innocents and yet remains immensely sympathetic because of the scenes with his deaf son. I love that show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of English dudes, The Terror and Chernobyl are all loving amazing and you don't have to dedicate a huge chunk of your life to find out what happens.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Walrus posted:

more reckless and short sighted than setting up a drug amnesty zone without asking anyone? I mean yes obviously, but a LOT more so?

This exact thing happened in real life in several different cities though.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Fargo Season 2 is low rent X-Files.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of English dudes, The Terror and Chernobyl are all loving amazing and you don't have to dedicate a huge chunk of your life to find out what happens.

Ahh I really want to check out The Terror.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched episode 1 of The Terror and it really didn't seem anything like Chernobyl. As far as I know it leans far more into supernatural horror. That's quite a different beast from what one might call scientific horror.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Chernobyl was actually very bad.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not as good but that's an almost impossibly high bar. Also less grounded in realism. Weird poo poo happens a lot. It's basically a coen bros love letter and since biblical poo poo happens in some of their movies...

Also generally missing the deadpan dark screwball comedy vibe the movie had and did so well. But it was a fun enough watch.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Chernobyl was actually very bad.

ahahaha, pull the other one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So is the third season.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

I watched episode 1 of The Terror and it really didn't seem anything like Chernobyl. As far as I know it leans far more into supernatural horror. That's quite a different beast from what one might call scientific horror.

Haven't seen it yet but the TV show is based on a book which is based on real events. But the book did add some supernatural monster horror which got translated into the show, yeah.

I kind of wish they didn't do that because the real story is also terrifying and lovely but *other* than the beastie killing people at night it is supposed to be very accurate to what happened right down to the ships being stuck in the ice at an angle (so lots of Dutch angle shots).

I am kind of hoping I can just play it off as these people are hallucinating and insane from eating lead for a year plus but probably not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Terror_(1813)#Franklin_expedition

quote:

The expedition sailed from Greenhithe, Kent, on 19 May 1845, and the ships were last seen entering Baffin Bay in August 1845.[5] The disappearance of the Franklin expedition set off a massive search effort in the Arctic and the broad circumstances of the expedition's fate were revealed during a series of expeditions between 1848 and 1866. Both ships had become icebound and were abandoned by their crews, all of whom died of exposure and starvation while trying to trek overland to Fort Resolution, a Hudson's Bay Company outpost 970 km (600 mi) to the southwest. Subsequent expeditions up until the late 1980s, including autopsies of crew members, revealed that their canned rations may have been tainted by both lead and botulism. Oral reports by local Inuit that some of the crew members resorted to cannibalism were at least somewhat supported by forensic evidence of cut marks on the skeletal remains of crew members found on King William Island during the late 20th century.[8][9]

quote:

a combination of bad weather, years locked in ice, poisoned food, botulism, starvation, and disease including scurvy, had killed everyone in the Franklin party.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 29, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
low rent implies worse, when Fargo is better than 90% of the X-Files (and I like the X-Files a lot).

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Philthy posted:

It was walking the line of entertaining and stupid, and that put it way too far over the stupid line for me to continue any further. If not that, I'm sure something else by the end of the season would have done it anyways.

I think The Shield and Fargo are both really good examples of modern pulp or neo noir. Breaking Bad too. They're not meant to be super-heady and thought provoking. They're morality stories about people who get in over their heads and usually meet a violent end.

It's when they huff too many of their own prestige television farts that they lose their way. BB went that way after a few seasons, and I'd say The Sopranos did too.

e: X-Files is another straight up piece of modern pulp, excellent and fun as long as you keep your expectations low.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm all about this topic now because I just started watching Twin Peaks. I've never seen it before and what a blast it is.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Chrs Gry posted:

The day will probably never come considering how people still to this day pretend like Firefly wasn’t a complete toilet fire.

this thread is a honeypot for paste eaters i guess

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

Boardwalk Empire is a v good show that nobody ever talks about. Okay if you hate Steve Buscemi, but the rest of the ensemble cast is impeccable. Al Capone is wickedly played by an English dude. The character guns down a poo poo ton of innocents and yet remains immensely sympathetic because of the scenes with his deaf son. I love that show.

I really liked this show, but I just completely stopped watching it after season 2 for reasons you can probably guess.

Michael Shannon was great in it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poo poo sake, I had Fargo pretty high on my to watch list, that supernatural stuff knocks it wayy down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Breaking Bad was a very bad show.