Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i only played the demo for 4 but it's been awhile since I played snake eater so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
4 is by far the most uneven in terms of quality, but is still an excellent game. It's got some really complex systems going on but unfortunately you only spend about 40% of the game interacting with them meaningfully. It's still very much worth playing though and has some interesting ideas going on.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

4 has some seriously slept on bosses, the laughing octopus and crying wolffights own

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah the bosses in 4 are probably the best thing about it tbh. It's also really weird to hear someone say "gently caress" in MGS for some reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Each act has its own gimmick that makes the game feel really disjointed but some acts have great high points. Act 1's weird shifting battlefield system that 99% of people completely and easily ignore is great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm also still waiting for the 10 hour version of Act 3 that no one will ever make.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

In Training posted:

I'm also still waiting for the 10 hour version of Act 3 that no one will ever make.

You might not ever get that but you can have Naked Snake climbing the silo ladder 10 hour ASMR instead

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

In Training posted:

Each act has its own gimmick that makes the game feel really disjointed but some acts have great high points. Act 1's weird shifting battlefield system that 99% of people completely and easily ignore is great

I wish more of 4 had played with using a chaotic battlefield to stealth your way through because it's such a great idea. Chapter 1 is the best part of the game aside from a couple boss fights.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wish more of 4 had played with using a chaotic battlefield to stealth your way through because it's such a great idea. Chapter 1 is the best part of the game aside from a couple boss fights.

Ya.

Really tempted to go and try MGS2 on EE. Nearly lost my mind getting the last Kerotans on the bike in 3 for plat.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I played MGS3 on Ultra Baby mode. I suck rear end at stealth games

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

You are diseased.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I definitely put way more hours into ground zeroes than I did 5. Sometimes I wonder if it would’ve been better if they had skipped the full “open world” (most of which was just empty) in favor of more great set pieces like the camp in GZ

i wasn't really hype for 5 until I played GZ since it felt like it was promising "this but more levels" but it felt really empty..even so it was really drat good for dozens of hours until it got super grindy with the resource stuff

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

extremebuff posted:

i wasn't really hype for 5 until I played GZ since it felt like it was promising "this but more levels" but it felt really empty..even so it was really drat good for dozens of hours until it got super grindy with the resource stuff

4 kinda soured me on the series so I didn't know anything about GZ until like a year after it got released. Peace Walker turned me around again because it was so good, even if bosses were a slog to fight solo. My brain is probably broken because all the base management stuff in PW and V was like crack to me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i really liked the management stuff too the first time, but the transparent gameyness of it is getting to me.

i do think once you get out of the open world, the areas add up to a "like ground zeroes, but more" experience, although none of them individually are as good as that map

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kojima originally wanted more hubs. Imo more hubs withe size and more intricate design of camp omega would have been ideal. Gz's multiple missions reused that nap really well

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's a few areas in Phantom Pain that almost get to Camp Omega's level of quality imo - Mfinda Oilfield, Lufwa Valley, OKB Zero, the airports. But the cool thing about Camp Omega is how dense and interconnected it is and none of the other areas quite get there.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The oilfield is sickkkkk.

Love that cutscene of the guard wandering around a mile away and reacting when the bombs go off

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The set pieces in V were so good. The resource management stuff is mostly annoying as the game goes on but it doesn’t really matter a whole lot. The base side missions are fun and it’s neat to explore though

now that it gives you basically unlimited money when you go online it kinda ruins a lot of the resource management stuff which is unfortunate.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 9, 2019

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

4 kinda soured me on the series so I didn't know anything about GZ until like a year after it got released. Peace Walker turned me around again because it was so good, even if bosses were a slog to fight solo. My brain is probably broken because all the base management stuff in PW and V was like crack to me

Same here. I was so excited to play 4 that I got it at a midnight release and borrowed a friend's PS3 to play it. I really dug it, but was only able to play through once before returning the PS3 to my friend and I gave him the game. I didn't really gently caress with mgs until long after peace walker had come out, and I got the hd collection and played through it and really enjoyed it, but felt that the series didn't really hold anything for me anymore.

When GZ came out it wasn't even on my radar until my friend, who's a big mgs fan too, told me about it. I had heard a bunch of negative stuff about it but I picked it up and for what it is, that game is nearly perfect. It was the first time sneaking really felt organic and natural. Keeping to the shadows, hiding in bushes, all of the little things that aren't indicated but work the way they feel like they should. It got me back into the series.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I really wish they had gone the other way with 4 and turned like 50% of those cutscenes into Codex conversations or ipod "tapes" like 5. I think if you cut half of them they wouldve had time to implement more, you know, gameplay

OKB Zero bothered me because it's built up to be this ultimate sneaking mission but it felt very linear. Also didn't kojima say at one point or imply that they were going to reuse the Black Site map in Phantom Pain for something

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

also im probably in the minority here but i thought the SKULLs unit in 5 was extremely dumb and the whole game could've done without all of that nonsense. Could've just been Skull Face's "ocelot" style unit that captured Kaz or whatever

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
did we figure out what month is tomorrow yet

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tfw you finally get into a direct fight with the skulls and theyre just slow guys with 9000hp

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Those were the rock skulls. There's like 8 different skulls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The sniper skulls were my fave to fight, trying to throw audio distractions and shoot them before they react was fun

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I really wish they had gone the other way with 4 and turned like 50% of those cutscenes into Codex conversations or ipod "tapes" like 5. I think if you cut half of them they wouldve had time to implement more, you know, gameplay

OKB Zero bothered me because it's built up to be this ultimate sneaking mission but it felt very linear. Also didn't kojima say at one point or imply that they were going to reuse the Black Site map in Phantom Pain for something

Yeah, we were gonna revisit Camp Omega in Phantom Pain, and you can see some footage in a trailer of a prisoner getting tortured and shot there. Kojima said it was gonna be something that hadn't been done in the industry before, but oh well. Konami is trash so it didn't make the cut.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

The sniper skulls were my fave to fight, trying to throw audio distractions and shoot them before they react was fun

Lining up the snipe shot then throwing a smoke grenade on yourself and firing blind to get the s rank

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, we were gonna revisit Camp Omega in Phantom Pain, and you can see some footage in a trailer of a prisoner getting tortured and shot there. Kojima said it was gonna be something that hadn't been done in the industry before, but oh well. Konami is trash so it didn't make the cut.

You can't trust him on all his claims lol

https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/376424398023962624?s=21

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Lol true. I was so glad my gf wasn't in the room for the Quiet shower scene.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pounding some hard sack to the burn victim's sensual dance while GF is at Walgreens picking up neosporin.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Pounding some hard sack to the burn victim's sensual dance while GF is at Walgreens picking up neosporin.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

also im probably in the minority here but i thought the SKULLs unit in 5 was extremely dumb and the whole game could've done without all of that nonsense. Could've just been Skull Face's "ocelot" style unit that captured Kaz or whatever

They were cool as just like faceless elite enemies like the FROGs in 4 or whatever but but we definitely needed a few of them with names and personalities to act like more traditional MGS bosses

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I can, and do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

net cafe scandal posted:

I can, and do.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

net cafe scandal posted:

I can, and do.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Wormskull posted: