Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, it saves your progress on the world. Annoyingly, you cannot skip levels that you've completed before (I tested this by finishing someone's uploaded level before playing it on their course world), even though the World Maker test mode has a button that does this! Which means that if I upload a world 2 to my super world, people who played it would have to do world 1 all over again.

I think my slapdash solution to that will be to make each successive world upload in reverse order, so my second upload will go World 2 -> World 1, and so on, so that if anyone tries to catch up with my worlds, they'll be guaranteed to go through all the levels they haven't seen before reaching the old levels. Then when (if) I finish world 8, I'll just go and do one final reupload, reversing the order back to the correct one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

https://twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Way-Down World
By: Gnome Enthusiast 70H-77N-G2G

2. Piranha Plant Park
By: Norton 7D5-1SN-SDG

3. CBM-3MF-QJG
By: Gooselongcat

4. 9FK-W6R-SNF
By: Lamecustomgifs

5. Aradin's level
By: AradinOfXandurk RVL-LDP-6QG

6. TrueBlue's level
By: TrueBlue F9N-4W8-20H

7. Underground Space Caverns
By: QPzmAl2910 KHQ-2LV-XHG

8. Super Mario Challenge 1-1
By: Matchstickgeezer FK0-VGT-8YG

9. Switchio Factorio
By: BricksandHammers FCK-BKP-F2H

10. Koopa Bridge
By: Gibbayyyy MXN-6D6-VMG

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

Here is a new thing I have made, involving lava and dry bones and mario 2. Super Expert / Kaizo Lite difficulty?

GHF-YJW-RJG - Bounce Laterally Mario!
There is a big shortcut, and otherwise platforming off of a giant drybones that keeps going into and out of lava. Good luck!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Annnnd we're going live in about 10 minutes!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mech E-2
Course ID: 028-2C8-0FF
Difficulty: Expert

This is the last of the levels I started back when the update dropped that I've slowly been working on. This one is sort of a sequel to my Lakitu's Day Off level from earlier this year. Now Lakitu has been laid off and replaced by a machine. Making any cloud enemy the star of a stage is a bit tough so I had to make this one a bit slower paced than my usual stuff to have it actually pose a threat.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any worlds released that would be good for 3-4 players, especially including kids?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I'll look around and see if there are, but none are popping to mind sadly :(

By the way, here's the level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

1. The Journey Home p15
By: Danmiy12 0DY-JQQ-80G

2. Quick1
By: Mrittenhouse84 R2G-0YF-HGF

3. Lava Tower Run
By: Agent_10-008 N2P-586-MFG

4. Gauntlet of Fire
By: MattDeMaker 8BL-069-HLF

5. Raynans' level
By: Raynans SNP-TG3-LKG

6. Boo Cycles
By: It'same poop face JB6-W0S-SWG

7. Hohtst's level
By: Hohtst WDV-X9Y-B2H

8. Anunu's level
By: Anunu 2TM-84D-Y8G

9. Mechakoopa Aerial Acrobatics
By: MM_Stanley (bruhgang) 0GG-N84-Y8G

10. Purpletrt's level
By: Purpletrt DG5-P0W-TFF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live! Come on in and chill out: https://twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh hey, another new level!

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Hey everyone, please join the Goony Mario Making Discord founded by tonberi!

E: Send me a PM or post in the thread if you want in.

Sublimer fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 30, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol i came into the thread a few minutes ago wondering if there was a discord, perfect timing

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It took me most of a year, but I finally managed to squeeze out enough time from my schedule to finish another level.

Sweet Dreams, Mario

ID: Doesn't exist anymore, see my next post.

This one is just a sweet little dream of a level. I just wanted something slow and relaxing, and so I made it! Nothing else to say really, I hope people have fun with it!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 28, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Libluini posted:

It took me most of a year, but I finally managed to squeeze out enough time from my schedule to finish another level.

Sweet Dreams, Mario

ID: 23D-Q4T-JMF

This one is just a sweet little dream of a level. I just wanted something slow and relaxing, and so I made it! Nothing else to say really, I hope people have fun with it!

Neat setting. However, I had trouble the little jump into the pipe (perhaps toward the end of the level?) You only have four blocks of space with spikes overhead. It was strangely challenging in a fairly laid-back stage. Unless you meant to make that part difficult, I might suggest changing it.

Edit: I just realized that a spin jump might have worked there. I grew up on SMB3 rather than World, so it didn't cross my mind.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 28, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DorianGravy posted:

Neat setting. However, I had trouble the little jump into the pipe (perhaps toward the end of the level?) You only have four blocks of space with spikes overhead. It was strangely challenging in a fairly laid-back stage. Unless you meant to make that part difficult, I might suggest changing it.

Edit: I just realized that a spin jump might have worked there. I grew up on SMB3 rather than World, so it didn't cross my mind.

Thanks for playing!

Yeah, when playing this level myself, I soon realized that it may be impossible to cross that last part without getting hit. But I decided against changing it because I had this irrational fear the level may be too easy afterwards: If you have one of the feathers hidden in the level, you can just use our invincibility frames to walk past that part and still have another hit left.

Besides, after sleeping on it I had this sudden revelation that the last pipe still fits the theme: As long as you're taking it slow and relaxed, you should be able to carefully float past both spikes and enemy towards the pipe.

Or you just take the hit and get through, anyway.

Though to be honest, as I'm the worst player ever, I died dozens of times on that pipe. :v:

Fun fact: When playtesting, I found a surprisingly dumb spot where you could get stuck if you took the second feather and accidentally jumped down again. I changed the block I put there so it wouldn't accidentally self-destruct and now jumping down is a feature, as it makes that part of the level much easier!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone have any ideas on how to destroy a big wall of hard blocks fast in SMB style? Regular bricks might be okay too. I tried having a muncher collide with a large bob-omb but that only does a small square and I can't put enough bob-ombs without wrecking the shape. Ultimately it isn't a huge deal because this thing I'm doing is more an aesthetic bonus than anything gameplay related, but it's not pretty.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Have a bobomb with a muncher above, separated by an on/off switch, then duplicate and stack them above each other. You'd have the transparent on/off boxes left, but that's probably the closest you'll get. Assuming it works of course, because making triggers in this game is like pulling teeth and is the reason I can't be bothered attempting to make anything anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I threw another one together, because Sunday:

Launch Mountain 01

ID: JN7-KSJ-VFG

This one is supposed to be the first level of the first world of my super-world. Because of this, it's rather easy. I've also hidden some 1-Ups so players can stock up easily for later levels.

It's kind of space-themed, though world 1 is mostly about climbing a mountain to reach a rocket, while space only comes into play from world 2 on forward.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, so I took back some feedback on my dream-level and re-did the ending for a smoother, more intuitive playing experience.

The result:

Sweetest Dreams, Mario
ID: 8S9-G9H-FHG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT:

1. Launch Mountain 01
By: Libluini JN7-KSJ-VFG

2. Forth & Back
By: TheBigSleep 2H6-L0F-51H

3. Mystic Keep Gateway 3-2
By: Terethien J64-R68-JHF

4. Meowser Boss Fight Demo
By: Creator438 SX9-Y87-RTF

5. Spin Jump: Exploring Mechanics
By: Grantofranto SG6-MBM-2SG

6. Mario's Jarring Jailbreak
By: Ordinary_human VYF-CX9-X1H

7. Salt n Pepper
By: the-eejay SS5-LY8-Y1H

8. Lakitu's Lava Bubble
By: Keepers327 XJJ-D6X-PPG

9. Telephone Pole Panic!
By: waffleyDootDoot LRJ-F83-75G

10. Accuracy, Luck and Bounce
By: BigBromptom NNX-637-GDF

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live! here! https://twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And again, we're going live with some Mario Maker! We're playing some of the oldest levels submitted since it's the 1 year anniversary!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live with some Mario Maker here: https://twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I created my first level today and would love some feedback if possible.

JJY-1SF-TVF

Thank you!

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

King Crab posted:

I created my first level today and would love some feedback if possible.

JJY-1SF-TVF

Thank you!

Welcome! I got WR on your level and gave it a like. I don't particularly enjoy dark levels, but it was short and fun to speedrun.

Here is my feedback since you asked:

The part where you have to take damage on the muncher to become small mario and then escape the thwomp wasn't clear to me until after I died to it once. If you are going to have a power-up stripping section I think it's best if it's forced on the player. It isn't intuitive to hurt yourself before advancing to a new section. Additionally, the 4 spinys on the track are pretty difficult to get past without taking damage, but since there are infinite power-ups coming from the pipe you can just damage boost through the section. I think that part is too hard but also trivialized by the power-up pipe.

In my opinion the level would be improved if you removed the fire flower completely and made the spiny section slightly easier by removing 1 spiny. That way you don't have to strip the power-up from the player, and it also prevents you from just running through all the spinys.

Hope to see more levels :)

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

Norton posted:

Welcome! I got WR on your level and gave it a like. I don't particularly enjoy dark levels, but it was short and fun to speedrun.

Here is my feedback since you asked:

The part where you have to take damage on the muncher to become small mario and then escape the thwomp wasn't clear to me until after I died to it once. If you are going to have a power-up stripping section I think it's best if it's forced on the player. It isn't intuitive to hurt yourself before advancing to a new section. Additionally, the 4 spinys on the track are pretty difficult to get past without taking damage, but since there are infinite power-ups coming from the pipe you can just damage boost through the section. I think that part is too hard but also trivialized by the power-up pipe.

In my opinion the level would be improved if you removed the fire flower completely and made the spiny section slightly easier by removing 1 spiny. That way you don't have to strip the power-up from the player, and it also prevents you from just running through all the spinys.

Hope to see more levels :)

That's actually really helpful :)

I will give it another pass and tidy it up a little.

I did have another idea for a level, it's really fun to put them together!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but: is there any way to control which direction an enemy will face when they spawn on screen? Right now, I am working with ant troopers, and I want 4 of them to circle around a platform, all marching in the same direction. When I place on the ground or on the right side, it starts marching left/ccw. If I place it on the left or bottom portion of the platform, it marches clockwise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Prowler posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but: is there any way to control which direction an enemy will face when they spawn on screen? Right now, I am working with ant troopers, and I want 4 of them to circle around a platform, all marching in the same direction. When I place on the ground or on the right side, it starts marching left/ccw. If I place it on the left or bottom portion of the platform, it marches clockwise.

Enemies spawn facing Mario.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I also spent the past couple of weeks noodling over a dark themed stage:

Monty Mole's Haunting Hideout
X48-WNH-K5G

I was going for 'doable but oppressively unfun', so let me know how I did with that!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 11, 2020

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

I'll try yours out tomorrow, doctor!

I amended my first level and have made two more over the last few days:

Escape from the Mansion - 4GY-NQR-D2G

Tree Troubles - 6MF-3LS-QRF

The Cursed Well - JXT-2FD-82H

I'll watch some of the lessons to get an idea because I'm not as confident at making something complex.

Please let me know what you think!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Another artisanally crafted bullshit-level. This time I tried to make it as hard as I could, though as long you keep calm it's still a breeze. (The hidden truth being I'm secretly poo poo at platforming games, so after making a "hard" level, I'm always spending another hour slowly making it easier and trying it again and again, until I can get to the point I can finish it. So if you have problems with my levels, always remember that I'm a loving cheat and there's probably a really relaxed and easy way to play the level. Also, almost all of my power ups are hidden.)

Anyway, I present to you my poetic master piece,

The Fall of Mario

ID: 0NY-J3X-BYF

Mario is fallen, am I too to fall? Am I to leave this haven of my rest?

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Libluini posted:

Another artisanally crafted bullshit-level. This time I tried to make it as hard as I could, though as long you keep calm it's still a breeze. (The hidden truth being I'm secretly poo poo at platforming games, so after making a "hard" level, I'm always spending another hour slowly making it easier and trying it again and again, until I can get to the point I can finish it. So if you have problems with my levels, always remember that I'm a loving cheat and there's probably a really relaxed and easy way to play the level. Also, almost all of my power ups are hidden.)

The Fall of Mario

Too many blind jumps IMO. None of it was mechanically difficult, but I died about 10 times figuring out which direction I needed to press to avoid spikes. I couldn't react fast enough to change directions in time until I learned what was coming. If I could see more of the screen it would have been a fine level, but there is no way to look down and see what is next so to be honest it was a little frustrating to beat.

Blind jumps are a recurring Mario Maker issue and have prevented me from making any falling sections that I am satisfied with. However... playing through your stage gave me serious inspiration to create a solution. I spent the last few hours working on a new level with an attempt at fall indicators:

Plumber Plummet: N08-R4V-J1H

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I also spent the past couple of weeks noodling over a dark themed stage:

Monty Mole's Haunting Hideout
X48-WNH-K5G

I was going for 'doable but oppressively unfun', so let me know how I did with that!

First clear! It was definitely oppressive, but I enjoyed it pretty much. I liked how you manipulated the light radius to make it a little claustrophobic. I would have appreciated a power-up sooner, but it was nice that the enemies never seemed unfair, so my only deaths seemed like my own fault. The Thwomp room was neat, but it took me a little while to figure out how to get past it.

King Crab posted:

I'll try yours out tomorrow, doctor!

I amended my first level and have made two more over the last few days:

Escape from the Mansion - 4GY-NQR-D2G

Tree Troubles - 6MF-3LS-QRF

The Cursed Well - JXT-2FD-82H

I'll watch some of the lessons to get an idea because I'm not as confident at making something complex.

Please let me know what you think!

Escape from the Mansion - Mostly good level. I would put a checkpoint after the key door. As it is, the first part of the level is fairly slow paced, but it's very easy to die in the second part, which means you have to do the first part again. I died twice right near the end, and it was a little tedious to redo the whole level. I liked your use of atmosphere and sound effects, though.

Tree troubles - This one was a bit chaotic. With hammer bros, sometimes less is more. I think people aren't very fond of that enemy, and having to deal with a lot of them in a small space can be trouble. I would suggest having fewer hammer bros and adding some parts of the level which are purely platforming, to give players a brief rest. I think this video gives a great breakdown about the "flow" of typical Mario levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

The Cursed Well - This level has a strong concept and good aesthetics! The only change that I would make is removing the piranha plant at the bottom of the well. Since you need the fire flower to defeat the piranha plant, there were many times where I got hit going to the bottom, then had to go back up to get another fire flower, which made things repetitive. Also, maybe fewer spikes.

Overall, I think these are great for your first few levels. Go through the lessons, and also watch that video I posted above (which is a fun video anyway). The best level-making advice I can give is that you should play your levels a bunch, and play them in different ways. If you run into things that you find frustrating, make them easier or more fun. If you want to make traditional levels, don't be afraid of power-ups and checkpoints, since other people will find your levels more difficult than you do. Still, great work so far!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Libluini posted:

The Fall of Mario

I agree with Norton. Falling and spikes result in a lot of trial and error, since you can't see where you're supposed to go until it's too late. As for power-ups, other players won't spend time looking for hidden boxes (unless there are obvious clues), so it's basically the same as not giving power-ups. And keep in mind that other players will find your levels harder than you do. So if you want to make a "normal" difficulty level for others, it should probably be easy for you. Also, there's nothing wrong with making easy levels. All of my levels, for example, are fairly easy. Keep it up!

Norton posted:

Too many blind jumps IMO. None of it was mechanically difficult, but I died about 10 times figuring out which direction I needed to press to avoid spikes. I couldn't react fast enough to change directions in time until I learned what was coming. If I could see more of the screen it would have been a fine level, but there is no way to look down and see what is next so to be honest it was a little frustrating to beat.

Blind jumps are a recurring Mario Maker issue and have prevented me from making any falling sections that I am satisfied with. However... playing through your stage gave me serious inspiration to create a solution. I spent the last few hours working on a new level with an attempt at fall indicators:

Haha, I like it! With the help of your maps, I did it on my first try (and was only a little stressed!).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Norton posted:

I loved your level! Exactly like I've envisioned it, and then mostly failed at because incompetence. The only thing missing were those Mega Man death phasors that laser you in half if you don't react fast enough. The spikes made me nostalgic for all those instant-death spike corridors you sometimes have to fall down through in Mega Man.

Also I think it's mostly my fault that your completion rate is down to below 3%. I died a ton of times.

DorianGravy posted:

I agree with Norton. Falling and spikes result in a lot of trial and error, since you can't see where you're supposed to go until it's too late. As for power-ups, other players won't spend time looking for hidden boxes (unless there are obvious clues), so it's basically the same as not giving power-ups. And keep in mind that other players will find your levels harder than you do. So if you want to make a "normal" difficulty level for others, it should probably be easy for you. Also, there's nothing wrong with making easy levels. All of my levels, for example, are fairly easy. Keep it up!

I thought of this and added a second, visible feather to the level I'm currently working on. So your feedback already helped future players!

On difficulty, what kind of level I want to make depends on my mood at the moment. If I want to make easy levels, I'll put a number to it because generally, all my easy levels are planned for my super-world. (Except for when I get to like, world 7 or 8, but that's far in the future)

But if you find a level that's a pun and with a poetic sounding description, then you're in trouble because my sadism is leaking out. :v:

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Escape from the Mansion - Mostly good level. I would put a checkpoint after the key door. As it is, the first part of the level is fairly slow paced, but it's very easy to die in the second part, which means you have to do the first part again. I died twice right near the end, and it was a little tedious to redo the whole level. I liked your use of atmosphere and sound effects, though.

Tree troubles - This one was a bit chaotic. With hammer bros, sometimes less is more. I think people aren't very fond of that enemy, and having to deal with a lot of them in a small space can be trouble. I would suggest having fewer hammer bros and adding some parts of the level which are purely platforming, to give players a brief rest. I think this video gives a great breakdown about the "flow" of typical Mario levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFrT7-19JI

The Cursed Well - This level has a strong concept and good aesthetics! The only change that I would make is removing the piranha plant at the bottom of the well. Since you need the fire flower to defeat the piranha plant, there were many times where I got hit going to the bottom, then had to go back up to get another fire flower, which made things repetitive. Also, maybe fewer spikes.

Overall, I think these are great for your first few levels. Go through the lessons, and also watch that video I posted above (which is a fun video anyway). The best level-making advice I can give is that you should play your levels a bunch, and play them in different ways. If you run into things that you find frustrating, make them easier or more fun. If you want to make traditional levels, don't be afraid of power-ups and checkpoints, since other people will find your levels more difficult than you do. Still, great work so far!

Thank you so much for this feedback!

I will definitely take it on board going forward. That video was also really interesting.

I'm making a level now that uses three different elements and so it does feel disjointed, I'm gonna take another pass at it to try and keep the theme more consistent and use the other ideas for different levels.

I'm really enjoying this bloody game...

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

1. Juggle Deez Shells
By: iKPbot QF0-GWR-BXG

2. Plumber Plummet
By: Norton N08-R4V-J1H

3. Buzzy Beetle Bastion
by: Tadabutcha 2CS-JFL-PTF

4. Hammer Bro Lesson
By: Interloper N25-3HD-R8G

5. The Temple of DOOM
By: SwimmingLab QKX-C3K-KKF

6. Mushroom Tennis Tournament
By: Yellow_shell GHF-PXY-BTF

7. Battle with Bowser
By: Shadowrangerfs QWF-M4C-7GF

8. Anunu's level
By: Anunu SLJ-y7X-BBG

9. Conquering Pokey's Peak
By: 121gigamatts LRQ-S2S-DGF

10. Spacedustboi's level
By: Spacedustboi HLL-19N-SFF

11. The Fall of Mario
By: Libluini 0NY-J3X-BYF

12. Escape from the Mansion
By: King Crab 4GY-NQR-D2G

13. Monty Mole's Haunting Hideout
By: Dr. Fruitbat X48-WNH-K5G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live with some levels here! https://twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a new Ninji level.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

In Training posted:

There's a new Ninji level.

This Ninji might be too hard for me. The Yoshi strats require some pretty speedy button presses. I got a 35 second time and called it quits.

I made a new level though! After my last stage about falling I wanted to make a climbing level. Should be real easy and very hard to die.

calm climb: NSD-5FV-0WF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Oh man, time to grind a Ninji