Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I caught my dad putting ketchup on pork fried rice once. It broke my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Have you had this? What exactly is it? What was it like?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's me. I'm the guy who starts shouting at the wait staff and turning red if my food comes with ketchup.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
https://i.imgur.com/npQhnPY.mp4

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
As a tiny child I used to put ketchup on my eggs until one magical day I stopped to re-examine my life and wondered what the gently caress I was doing. Now I just put some hot sauce on there if needed and the only ketchup I buy is jalapeno ketchup for whenever I need some tater tots or chicken burgers or some other kind of lovely frozen foods.

I also I have a big-rear end tub of gochujang in my fridge and if you thinned it out I guess it would be a Korean, more flavorful version of spicy ketchup? But also like not at all because gochujang has that fermented, funkiness going on. It's the loving tits on veggie stir fry with some sesame seeds and sea weed flakes, just stir a forkful right in.

I could eat tots dipped in gochujang, is what I'm saying here. Hell I might try it this week.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Edgar posted:

The secret is out now folks. To make the famous Utah Fry sauce, you mix ketchup and mayonnaise. A bit of hot sauce as well if you are adventurous.

I googled this and it's just golf sauce!?!

in Germany you can get rotweiss which is mayo and ketchup in a toothpaste tube that somehow doesnt mix so you get a red/white stripe log to lay on your food

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao yeah let me just ask the waiter, sorry sir do you have any buffalo sauce? This ketchup is too common for the likes of me.

Well why wouldn't you?

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYgiASkm6s&t=175s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

i like ketchup, i think its nice on lovely bland food like breaded chicken or pork sausage sandwiches on white bread and also i really like lovely bland food cause it makes me remember being a kid and that was the last time i was consistently happy and satisfied.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Cook perfect pasta and grate some real nice parmigiano, then smother the pasta in ketchup instead of spending 3 minutes making a real sauce.

It's me, Italy's worst nightmare

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jeza posted:

Cook perfect pasta and grate some real nice parmigiano, then smother the pasta in ketchup instead of spending 3 minutes making a real sauce.

It's me, Italy's worst nightmare

This is pretty much a fairly popular Japanese dish.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naporitan

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Ketchup with grilled cheese is so good.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

As far as eggs go, you should try some really mild, vinegar-based hot sauces. A grown man putting Cholula (or Tabasco or most other hot sauces named after Mexican places) on his eggs is unremarkable, spending two minutes and an innocent butter knife getting the ketchup out of the bottle and on to your eggs is odd. Some guy has to wash that butter knife, and he’s gonna have some opinions about you.

If you’ve got hash browns though, gently caress it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Cubelodyte posted:

Have you had this? What exactly is it? What was it like?

It's ketchup made from mushrooms rather than tomatoes.

Ketchup was originally made from mushrooms first, before tomatoes were "a thing". Mushrooms WERE what people thought of when they though of 'ketchup' as a condiment.
There was also walnut and oyster ketchup, too.

It's essentially "thing" boiled to pulp with enough salt and seasoning added to make shelf stable and used as condiment, which ta-da, is still what ketchup is.
Unsurprisingly, the first three are an extremely british invention, though common in the colonies. The tomatoes becoming standard later were more...American.

All the flavors vary as much as their bases. They're all a lot more liquid than today's version. Think...Worcestershire sauce/soy sauce consistency/a little thicker sorta.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 1, 2019

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best ketchup is Secret Aardvark. Sweet and hot without too much of either.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

UltraRed posted:

The best ketchup is Secret Aardvark. Sweet and hot without too much of either.

My favorite hot sauce hands down.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Mushroom ketchup sounds like it might have a lot of umami. I think I’m gonna find some.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

someday I'm going to make mushroom ketchup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u_FejNuks

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ketchup is gross you gotta add like a whole bunch of molasses and bourbon and sugar and vinegar and spices to it to make it good

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

Dunk my balls in srirancha.

....THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 1, 2019

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i prefer congealed blood over ketchup. better texture although the taste is about the same.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i love ketchup on fries, but not much else OP. i eat a lot of fires though, i like to make my own with a home deep frier. though lately i have been doing poutine gravy instead of ketchup for dinner

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

you complain everywhere you go

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Ketchup flavor definitely varies by region. I remember being a kid and traveling abroad for the first time and being incredibly disappointed when I finally got a meal I recognized, covered it in ketchup, and basically ate plastic flavored paste. I'm in Thailand now and McDonald's has two different ketchup dispensers. One is labeled "ketchup" the other is "American ketchup". :911:

When you order pizza, instead of getting a satchel of crushed red paper, you get ketchup packets. They smother the poo poo out of pizza here with ketchup.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ketchup flavor definitely varies by region. I remember being a kid and traveling abroad for the first time and being incredibly disappointed when I finally got a meal I recognized, covered it in ketchup, and basically ate plastic flavored paste. I'm in Thailand now and McDonald's has two different ketchup dispensers. One is labeled "ketchup" the other is "American ketchup". :911:

When you order pizza, instead of getting a satchel of crushed red paper, you get ketchup packets. They smother the poo poo out of pizza here with ketchup.

What’s the thai ketchup taste like vs the American?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Flavors aren't as developed

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Flavors aren't as developed

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't use ketchup on anything except sauerkraut, but I put Frank's Red Hot on fried eggs. Goes really well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Burt Sexual posted:

What’s the thai ketchup taste like vs the American?

It's not very sweet and tastes industrial to me. Europeans seem to like it, so maybe it's similar to what you'd see there too? Basically if it's not Heinz, I tend to avoid it.

I'm mostly amused by the fact that McDonald's here, and no where else I've traveled, felt the need to have two separate dispensers.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I would would say generally speaking ketchup is a child’s food but all goes out the window if you’re a dad

My old man would put condiments on the most random poo poo, like cheez whiz on pancakes, so if you’re a parent you get a carte Blanche till your kid is a teenager then it’s back to being off the ketchup

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's not very sweet and tastes industrial to me. Europeans seem to like it, so maybe it's similar to what you'd see there too? Basically if it's not Heinz, I tend to avoid it.

I'm mostly amused by the fact that McDonald's here, and no where else I've traveled, felt the need to have two separate dispensers.

its because your american sense of taste has been ruined through high fucktose corn syrup injected into everything you eat

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My dad would mix ketchup and mustard and dip anything at all in it. It took me until my 20s to recognize the simple brilliance of it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao yeah let me just ask the waiter, sorry sir do you have any buffalo sauce? This ketchup is too common for the likes of me.

Like every half decent casual restaurant in America has one or more hot sauces, at least Tabasco, sriracha, or Frank's Red Hot (otherwise known as buffalo sauce), either at the table or available in the back. Do you live in the rural Midwest where only ketchup and ranch are the options? Do you seriously eat your meals without hot sauce?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 2, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Like every half decent casual restaurant in America has one or more hot sauces, at least Tabasco, sriracha, or Frank's Red Hot (otherwise known as buffalo sauce), either at the table or available in the back. Do you live in the rural Midwest where only ketchup and ranch are the options? Do you seriously eat your meals without hot sauce?

No i live in Australia where people go to a restaurant and they don't smother everything in condiments mindlessly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Caesar Saladin posted:

its because your american sense of taste has been ruined through high fucktose corn syrup injected into everything you eat

I dunno man. I haven't lived in the states in over a decade and mostly eat local, which uses real sugar. I just think American style ketchup gets the flavor right.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

No i live in Australia where people go to a restaurant and they don't smother everything in condiments mindlessly

You are really loving mad about Americans that you are real sure you know everything about, all of whom you're smarter and better than, clearly.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

It actually doesn't look too bad once you see how it is made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u_FejNuks

E: I didn't realise I had been beaten to this so thoroughly...

Valko fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 2, 2019

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Atlas Hugged posted:

I dunno man. I haven't lived in the states in over a decade and mostly eat local, which uses real sugar. I just think American style ketchup gets the flavor right.

Heinz or gtfo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Caesar Saladin posted:

Pretty sure Australians are into hot sauce too when they aren't unreasonably mad weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zippy the Bummer posted:

curry ketchup is good and easy to make. i learned to love it when i lived in germany

you just put some ketchup in a bowl and mix curry powder into it until it is curried enough for your tastes

kecske posted:

in Germany you can get rotweiss which is mayo and ketchup in a toothpaste tube that somehow doesnt mix so you get a red/white stripe log to lay on your food

What the hell Germany