Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Djokovic won the Australian Open in January but Dominic Thiem stopped him in the semi-finals of Roland Garros from trying to win another Nole-slam, who then promptly lost to Nadal in the finals. Roger lost to Nadal in the semis and they're slated for another semifinal matchup here.

Nadal complained about being seeded 3 behind Federer but it doesn't matter bc even if he was 2, Federer would be 3 and they would be on the same half.

Current slam totals: Federer 20, Nadal 18, Djokovic 15, Murray 3 (loool)

Speaking of Andy Murray, he will be playing doubles.

On the women's side, Ashleigh Barty is now ranked #1 but she's had some injuries since winning Roland Garros so I guess Naomi Osaka or Serena will win but hopefully not Serena. Anyone But Serena.

http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

TV coverage begins 7 a.m. ET every day on ESPN with streams of almost every court on WatchESPN. The Wimbledon app and website also offer excellent radio/video streams.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favourites
Novak Djokovic +135
Roger Federer +300
Rafael Nadal +550
Stefanos Tsitsipas +1600
Felix Auger Aliassime +2500
Milos Raonic +2500
Alexander Zverev +2800
Dominic Thiem +2800
Marin Cilic +2800

Top 8 Women's Betting Favourites
Ashleigh Barty +500
Angelique Kerber +800
Serena Williams +800
Karolina Pliskova +900
Petra Kvitova +1200
Naomi Osaka +1400
Simona Halep +1600
Kiki Bertens +1800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Rough first round draw for Djokovic with Kohlschreiber, a guy who beat him earlier this year.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Tacier posted:

Rough first round draw for Djokovic with Kohlschreiber, a guy who beat him earlier this year.

Good, gently caress him.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Venus Williams just lost to a fetus.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Roger stop being a doofus.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
I didn't know Joe Pesci was also an umpire

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Kyrgios is a shithead and I loved watching him play. Who is forcing this poor fucker to play a sport he clearly hates and how can I assist them

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Listening to the commentators wring their hands over Kyrgios is simultaneously a highlight and a lowlight. Just let him do his thing, you don't have to :decorum: his every move guys.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Just so we are all aware today: gently caress Novak Djokovic.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm a yuge Kyrgios fan today.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Xabi posted:

I'm a yuge Kyrgios fan today.

We all are, the thread is finally united against EPO.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Am I right in saying Kyrgios isn't a big fan of his either?

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Paused posted:

Am I right in saying Kyrgios isn't a big fan of his either?

I think he hates everyone (including himself) and everything (especially tennis.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Puckish Rogue posted:

I think he hates everyone (including himself) and everything (especially tennis.)

Agassi energy

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Kyrgios is very much not a fan of either Nadal or Djokovic and has recently made that very clear, which has contributed a degree of hype to today's match, which probably means it'll be a dud and Nadal will roll over him in three. But hopefully not!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The spread was -5 for Nadal and I was tempted to pick Kyrgios, but Nick played a 5 setter last round and Rafa is going to be prepared this time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I kinda hope Nick throws in an underarm serve already in his opening service game. I feel like it's going to happen.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Glare Seethe posted:

I kinda hope Nick throws in an underarm serve already in his opening service game. I feel like it's going to happen.

He just ripped one on a game point :getin:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also digging the ESPN commentary today

FOWLER: Would you say these opening games are absolutely crucial to setting the tone of this match?
MCENROE: No.

*extended silence*

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Kyrgios is loving box office.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As someone who also hates tennis, I love Big Nick Kyrg

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As someone who also hates tennis, I love Big Nick Kyrg

Tennis can go to hell, I’m on the Kyrgberg.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
They’re not making enough fun of Nadal’s silly watch, I’d say. Half a million pound for that ugly thing. The mind boggles.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Could have bought more expensive PEDs instead. The ones that don’t turn your ligaments into a piece of fiction and make you go bald.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aaaand Kyrgios goes down, is banished to the shadow realm by Nadal's finger waggle

Can we talk about how the Sandgren family named their child "Tennys"

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Aaaand Kyrgios goes down, is banished to the shadow realm by Nadal's finger waggle

As a bet?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

I mean, they are MAGA CHUDs

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Wake me when Serena and Djokovic are eliminated.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Wozniacki just got emphatically bounced so today's off to a good start. Spent half the match moaning about hawkeye cause it wasn't giving her the right calls.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Birds of prey are notoriously fickle.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

Play had to be stopped during the match between Benoît Paire and Jiri Vesely when a cork flew out of a bottle of bubbly and knocked a punter’s sunglasses off. “Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy your champagne but please don’t open it on the court,” the umpire Gianluca Moscarella sighed. 

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Stupid day off :argh:

Also how about them ATP young guns? Soon they will start winning slams right.... right? :imunfunny:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

fancyclown posted:

Stupid day off :argh:

Also how about them ATP young guns? Soon they will start winning slams right.... right? :imunfunny:

In an ideal world the day off would be Monday when I'm at work and can't watch anyway, but I get that doesn't really fit nicely into the gap between rounds.

And hey, give it ten years and these guys will be winning because the good players have retired

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they better take sousa's pay for not trying as well

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
"Jo Konta was definitely, if not in control, she was definitely in the driver's seat."

Tennis commentary.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Not really a fan of today's results, and I feel like my interest in this tournament is rapidly dwindling. The quarterfinals look pretty uninspired on both sides.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Hedgehog Pie posted:

"Jo Konta was definitely, if not in control, she was definitely in the driver's seat."

Tennis commentary.

She piloted that plane through some real turbulence, but she didn't come off the rails, and arrived safely in port.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glare Seethe posted:

Not really a fan of today's results, and I feel like my interest in this tournament is rapidly dwindling. The quarterfinals look pretty uninspired on both sides.
The women's tournament is now pointless.

The only things left worth watching on the men's side are Rafa/Fed and the winner v. Djokovic.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pella vs Raonic got really good at the end.

I doubt he'll make it through the next round and he'll get smeared by Djokovic if he does, but there was some excellent tennis towards the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

fancyclown posted:

Also how about them ATP young guns?

Barty fuckin rules, really bummed she lost

The announcers were being incredibly patronizing to Coco, like asking each other to rate her maturity level out of 10