Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
I am excited at the prospect of former VICTORIA SALMON KING Jordie Benn joining the Canucks

however I am terrified about what the Myers contract will look like.

Also for 700k why couldn't we have just kept Schenn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

yowza. that's a grudge

Are Re-Entry Waivers still A Thing?

No they got eliminated after the last CBA.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

yowza. that's a grudge

Are Re-Entry Waivers still A Thing?

I don't even remember the circumstances behind that whole thing. Mason was the starter, Norrena ragequit early in the season, they traded Leclaire to Ottawa for Vermette at the Deadline. I can't even remember who the backup to Mason would've been, but I felt like they had somebody.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Hi thread! Been a REAL long time. Bergy, for the love of all that is good, offer sheet Mitch Marner. I need this.
TYVM <3

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

goldrush posted:

I am excited at the prospect of former VICTORIA SALMON KING Jordie Benn joining the Canucks

however I am terrified about what the Myers contract will look like.

Also for 700k why couldn't we have just kept Schenn

It's going to immediately be Clarkson bad and everyone in the world will have seen it being that awful well in advance.

gently caress Benning, gently caress Aquaman, gently caress everything :sigh:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
And to think, if I hit Benning with my car, I'd be the one in trouble.

Or.. at least with a wrecked car, because I assume hitting Benning would have the same effect as hitting an extremely stupid moose.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Nothing good to say about this signing.

I really feel a disaster season is coming for Dallas. bad moves in ufa + regression for goaltending + the Stars signature terrible injury luck leading to another season of 20 minutes a night of Roman Polak is going to land them at the bottom of the conference.

Maybe it's a good thing we didn't end up resigning Zuccarello and we still hold our 1st in next draft

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He might offer to give the car a 3 year deal for knowing how to hit.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

grack posted:

And to think, if I hit Benning with my car, I'd be the one in trouble.

Or.. at least with a wrecked car, because I assume Benning would have the same effect as an extremely stupid moose.

He'd roll through the windshield, flail wildly in the front seat, and somehow complete a trade for Lucic.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Vancouver is giving Tyler Myers 6m a year

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

That's better than I expected but holy gently caress Benning is a moron.

I've given up on a Stanley Cup, I just want management that can tie its own shoes again.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Wait wait

Please no NMC, please no buy-out-proofing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

cool, i still hate him

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fisting by many posted:

Wait wait

Please no NMC, please no buy-out-proofing

My friend, what exactly do you think "considering structural options" means?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/failsonmcdonald/status/1145090985359056896

hilarious

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FBS posted:

My friend, what exactly do you think "considering structural options" means?

That Benning has gotten so fat that they have to add structural supports to Rogers Arena?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I feel like FCP might be able to pull a 15 35 season, which would be much needed depth for the stars. Problem is that defence is awful outside of the top 2 and bishop isn't going to have another Vezina season.

Wonder what we'll lose in Nill's panic trades at the deadline.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So Brown being included in the Leafs/Sens deal means that the Leafs save a little on cap regardless of Ceci’s QO.

I’d still rather have Literally Nothing instead of Ceci at $4.5M+ though so I sure hope something happens on that front.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

fermun posted:

Elliotte Friedman and Mile High Hockey are saying Joonas Donskoi to Colorado tomorrow at between 3-4 mil AAV for 3 to 4 years.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/just-exactly-marc-bergevin-sleeve/

man, the avs are going to be real good

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

grack posted:

"Structural options" sounds horrifying.

God it's gonna be a giant NMC isn't it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

So Brown being included in the Leafs/Sens deal means that the Leafs save a little on cap regardless of Ceci’s QO.

I’d still rather have Literally Nothing instead of Ceci at $4.5M+ though so I sure hope something happens on that front.

I feel like the Leafs think they can either flip Ceci or will walk from his arb amount. It doesn't make any sense capwise unless they deal someone else (Kadri).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
All this free agent talk and almost none of it the Rangers. Weird.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Friedman says the Avs have an offer out to Panarin for 6yrs $70m.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

tofes posted:

man, the avs are going to be real good

I mean, we would be if we stop signing third liners and got ourselves a real second line center.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
dubas! dubas? dubas.

my faith is wavering... :(

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I feel like the Leafs think they can either flip Ceci or will walk from his arb amount. It doesn't make any sense capwise unless they deal someone else (Kadri).

The hopeful part of my brain is right there with you but experience tells me that the “this move means they can then do x” part never actually happens in the NHL, especially with the Leafs.

Like, if the Sens don’t want to pay Ceci and the best return they can find is this deal, what are the odds any other team wants Ceci under any circumstances? You’d think if the Sens of all teams could offload Ceci without taking a bunch of salary back they’d do it.

The best case scenario for the Leafs is that DJ Smith is so broke-brained that he really loved coaching a brutal defenseman on an onerous contract and a ginger utility player who’s only worth it if he remembers he used to score 3 years ago, and managed to convince Ottawa’s GM to go get them.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm going to really miss Joe Pavs. Him becoming the captain seemed extremely awkward and forced, but he was loving great for the Sharks when he wasn't injured. I also don't really get why the Sharks are letting Donskoi go. Do they expect to be a playoff team by inertia? Evander Kane and Tomas Hertl aren't enough to carry a team, especially with Martin Jones still back in net.

Duchene coming back to the Preds is good.

Happy that Bobrovsky is coming to the Panthers for real. Just hope Panarin ends up either there or back with CBJ.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

MaoistBanker posted:

Vancouver is giving Tyler Myers 6m a year

I feel like that number is the best-case scenario at this point. I am fully dreading like 7x7 or something

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
oh god its happening

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1145548052528279553

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

he's very tall. So there's that.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Just hire Hank Tallinder and Myers will go off

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So do I understand this correctly?

Ottawa is exchanging the worst defenseman in the league (who's contract just expired so he'd just go away on his own otherwise) for Toronto's garbage overpaid defenseman? Which is good for Toronto because they needed to find idiots to take their crap contracts off their hands. And good for Ottawa because they can't even dress 6 NHL grade defence so any improvement is welcome.

That about it?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Close, it’s worth noting that Ottawa’s waiting for Toronto to pay out a signing bonus first, so they’ll be paying Zaitsev less than his cap hit and saving a bunch of cash over Ceci. The Sens are also under the cap floor iirc.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Teams under the cap floor right now are Colorado ($17.6M), Ottawa ($11.7M), Columbus ($7.3M), New Jersey ($4.5M), Florida ($3.9M), Winnipeg ($2.6M), and New York Islanders ($1.4M).

Zaitsev's cap hit without the signing bonus paid is what Ottawa needs, because they're a joke of a franchise.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

fermun posted:

Teams under the cap floor right now are Colorado ($17.6M), Ottawa ($11.7M), Columbus ($7.3M), New Jersey ($4.5M), Florida ($3.9M), Winnipeg ($2.6M), and New York Islanders ($1.4M).

Zaitsev's cap hit without the signing bonus paid is what Ottawa needs, because they're a joke of a franchise.

Huh, not Arizona. Feels weird.

What happens if a team stays under the floor?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Not only not under the floor, Arizona has the second least cap space, after Vegas, who is $900,000 over the ceiling! 2019 is real weird!

I have no idea on what happens if a team can't make the floor.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Spelling Mitsake posted:

they have to pay chris pronger 14 mil to hang out at nhl hq

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wtf, Myers? Benn??

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

As a general question to the thread, what would it take for the Flyers to hoist Lord Stanley this upcoming season? What dominos would need to fall for them to have that happen?

My thoughts on what they would need:

—Consistency between the pipes. If any other team starts more than three goalies, that should ring alarm bells for the coaching/management staff. Philly started eight. I don’t care if Carter Hart played like a loving god in the crease, it shouldn’t have taken six or seven other goaltenders to get to him.

—Stronger options on defense. Carter might be unstoppable in front of the net, but he needs help making sure he doesn’t have to be. He can’t block shots forever, especially when he’s got folks like Hall, Ovechkin, and Kaako(sp?) barreling towards the goal. Again, Carter Hart is an incredibly talented goalie. It’s just that he shouldn’t be expected to be the only defensive lynchpin Philly has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol at signing jordie Benn to anything but a league min. He's on the wrong side of 30 and his career high is like 4 goals. Cool beard, tho.