Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
:engleft: :eng101: :science:

Can you follow a recipe? Yes? Then you can program computers.
(If you can't cook then you can still program, but dating will be harder)

This July, celebrate the US's independence from the Queen of England by programming with us! Goons teaching Goons, for free, without accreditation or community college bureaucracy getting in the way.

If you're interested, please post your requests for topics & languages so we can get a sense for demand. If you want to tutor or add a reference then DM me and/or post in the thread.

Timeline
(specific post urls will be added as we go)
6/30 & 7/1 - Listen for requests
7/2 - Part 1 of programming fundamentals using JavaScript (in your browser!) Page 5

Tutors
Analytic Engine - web development, JavaScript, Python, data visualization
bob dobbs is dead - web development, parametric statistical programming (machine learning)
Rex-Goliath - big data, nosql

References

Analytic Engine posted:

"Grokking Algorithms: An illustrated guide for programmers and other curious people" by Aditya Bhargava
This is my favorite book for introducing algorithms. The tone is welcoming, the examples are clear, and the exercises have answers in the back. You don't even need to code to learn from it.
https://www.amazon.com/Grokking-Algorithms-illustrated-programmers-curious/dp/1617292230

Katamari Democracy posted:

My biggest reccomendation for the thread is if you have no loving clue how to code and want to get your toes wet. Learn a little bit of Programming Logic

Download Flowgorythm. It is free. Flowgorithm.

They offer free lessons and if you want to go a little deeper purchase this book: Programming Logic and Design

My instructor shared with the class in college this little tidbit from the Big Bang Theory that basically sums up learning flowcharts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xgjUhEG3U

Sorry if its goony as gently caress but my instructor was the biggest neckbeard there was and it made the class fun to learn. If I had a recommendation on where to start I really hope this post makes it worth it to make that first step.

E- OH. Flowgorithm takes any flowchart and translates that into many forms of code being used on the internet and in industries across the world. And it is a great tool for high school students and early college students to get their hands on with. You can learn more from the website I linked above.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
JavaScript will permanently gently caress your brain, making you ineligible for any real coding jobs.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
I have dyscalculia, so in high school my programming studies stopped at Pascal; it was one of those frequent moments where I could feel the mental gears grinding. (I didn't fail but I had to struggle just to get the C when normally computer classes were easy As.) I never really tried again because if Basic was a matter of building and Pascal stumped me hard, it was only going to get harder. I'm 36 now so I've been meaning to try again if only for the hell of it.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

JavaScript is weeeeeiird, man

I am a computer toucher who has to do a lot of C# stuff, I actually kind of like it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
how come all the people telling me to learn how to code are fat miserable sadsacks?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I've wanted to learn how to code since I read Dan Brown's classic novel The Da Vinci Code, the problem is I don't actually have any society shattering religious secrets to encode and like why bother unless I can bring down the catholic church.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jose Mengelez posted:

how come all the people telling me to learn how to code are fat miserable sadsacks?

This is the internet, everyone here is a fat miserable sadsack.

but in the case of coders specifically, they have been overexposed to Computer Bullshit, OP

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I am fat and miserable but they jacked the cash part of my comp to 170k total. Dunno about the stock part, but I've been mildly successful with that lottery before

I can tutor for webshit and bigass parametric statistical programming (machine learning)

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I learned VB5 as a kid and then some HTML. It stopped there because 3d animation and video editing was a hell of a lot more fun.

Would you recommend VB.net to a 30-something that wants to code some fairly simple custom programs and who's too dumb for something like C++ or Java? I basically would like to make some stuff to batch rename and sort hundreds/thousands of files based on some given criteria, both for necessity and love of tinkering, maybe some custom program launching dock, fairy simple stuff like that.

I remember there was kicking and screaming when VB became VB.net but I don't know the first thing about "coding simple stuff" in 2019.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The Management posted:

JavaScript will permanently gently caress your brain, making you ineligible for any real coding jobs.

those non-real coding jobs are Frontend "Engineering"

aka "the stuff I do between Data Visualization projects"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've got a big fancy textbook on Java that I have never read but thought I would read way back when I thought I was going to get into coding if someone wants to loan me a computer and also a scanner I can hook it up guys :cool:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm gonna code my balls off

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i really wanna learn but feel like i need books or something

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Sometimes i use excel

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I write some Excel macros and boomers think I'm a computer wizard.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

is there a language that can make a program that destroys twitter op? I want to learn that one.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Isn't it better to learn something like symbolic logic before trying to learn a code? Asking for a friend....I don't have any friends.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Bronze Fonz posted:

I learned VB5 as a kid and then some HTML. It stopped there because 3d animation and video editing was a hell of a lot more fun.

Would you recommend VB.net to a 30-something that wants to code some fairly simple custom programs and who's too dumb for something like C++ or Java? I basically would like to make some stuff to batch rename and sort hundreds/thousands of files based on some given criteria, both for necessity and love of tinkering, maybe some custom program launching dock, fairy simple stuff like that.

I remember there was kicking and screaming when VB became VB.net but I don't know the first thing about "coding simple stuff" in 2019.

As someone who does .NET programming for a living - I wouldn't usually recommend learning VB.NET instead of C#, but since you have some previous experience with earlier flavours of VB it might be right for you.

You can certainly make programs to do what you're describing there in either language. Having said that, you could use just about any general-purpose programming language in common use to do the file manipulation stuff. Assuming you are only going to support Windows, .NET languages might make it easier than others to put together something that does the GUI stuff you mentioned. (.NET is expanding and supports non-Windows platforms these days but at present everything is still going to be easiest on Windows)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PyPy posted:

Isn't it better to learn something like symbolic logic before trying to learn a code? Asking for a friend....I don't have any friends.

Every person who can learn symbolic logic can learn to code, pretty much. Its why philosophy people are often better coders than physics people

Don't actually need to but you bet it helps

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Bronze Fonz posted:

vb.net is probably one of the worst things you could waste your time learning. Just use C#. VB.net is not simpler, it is just dumb as heck

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008
Javascript is the future of web development. If you disagree you're a dinosaur

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

PyPy posted:

It depends on the person - how you learn/what your objectives are. If you want to be really up on the theory then sure. If you want to start by tinkering with things, and be able to work your way from writing little tools to automate repetitive tasks up to writing larger programs, then no.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I am a computer janitor. I pulled a hot wife that is 10 years younger than me. Go to your server room.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
If you learn a Microsoft lang, you hook your future to Microsoft. Even the ostensibly open source portion of their offerings, lots of it is pretty first party. There's been a lot of bad blood between open source people and Microsoft until about 2014 and it hasn't been long enough that people, especially the ideologues who tend to do open source projects, stopped remembering.

Companies with maniacal ambitions also tend to not use the Microsoft languages extensively because of this. But you can get a whole career in Microsoft land and it will still be cushy

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

If you learn a Microsoft lang, you hook your future to Microsoft. Even the ostensibly open source portion of their offerings, lots of it is pretty first party. There's been a lot of bad blood between open source people and Microsoft until about 2014 and it hasn't been long enough that people, especially the ideologues who tend to do open source projects, stopped remembering.

Companies with maniacal ambitions also tend to not use the Microsoft languages extensively because of this. But you can get a whole career in Microsoft land and it will still be cushy

If you're a programmer and you can't pick up a new language in a month or two you're a terrible programmer

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

PyPy posted:

I write some Excel macros and boomers think I'm a computer wizard.

I wrote a macro by using the feature that just auto makes a macro based on your clicks and copies and and whatnot and now im the computer guy in the office

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

If you're a programmer and you can't pick up a new language in a month or two you're a terrible programmer

New language yes. New ecosystem, way of thinking, attitudes, tools, no. Takes 1 to 2 years for that

And you won't get from apl to c# or vice versa in a month, neither

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'd like to learn how to code but life's demands are exhausting me atm. I will keep tabs on this thread and maybe one day I'll learn a new skill.

One day

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

This is true, someone who programs professionally should always be able to pick up new languages readily. But it is also true that once you are in a niche you are likely to continue working in that niche, I guess. So if you get a certain amount of experience working in .NET languages then chances are you will continue to take jobs in .NET.

This is all putting the cart before the horse in this thread, though, because the point of this thread as I understand it is to get people into coding who are interested but haven't done any before. And when you are in that position, worrying about which languages you want to end up using is one of the least helpful things you could do. You just need to get stuck in and learn something, anything, although ideally a "batteries included" language rather than something lower-level like C++. Could be C#, could be Python, could be Java.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Hammerite posted:

This is the internet, everyone here is a fat miserable sadsack.

but in the case of coders specifically, they have been overexposed to Computer Bullshit, OP

thanks but i meant "IRL" (programmer for "in real life") aka "meat space" where i can actually smell the "meat" and the flopsweat dripping from it.

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008

New language yes. New ecosystem, way of thinking, attitudes, tools, no. Takes 1 to 2 years for that

Pretty much everything parallels in programming. You put the bits in and you output the different bits. Doesn't take to years to figure how where to put in your bits and outputs the other bits

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Doesn't take to years to figure how where to put in your bits

speak for yourself cassanova

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Actual question. Are you happy stuck in a cube? I have learned powershell and I am getting headhunted. I have been an SA at a multi-billion dollar place. I like interacting with people. I don't know if it is a fair trade off for money. I need to get off of my rear end.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I program in angular but I'm completely clueless on backend or infrastructure so I'm down to attend some sessions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Pretty much everything parallels in programming. You put the bits in and you output the different bits. Doesn't take to years to figure how where to put in your bits and outputs the other bits

In most situations, you have to go and use other people's code, too, and they have weird ideas about the bits

Reading programs is harder than writing them. A real weird thought, but I've found it to be true

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

There are still COBOL shops around. Learn COBOL and you'll be part of a secret cabal that uses black magics and insanely expensive IBM hardware to keep the financial, insurance, and healthcare industries running.

Otherwise C# is pretty neat and 1 + 1 is always 2 and overall is cool and good. In JavaScript sometimes 1 + 1 = "Turnip" because you don't understand how hoisting works and data typing is for sissies and gently caress you.

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008

Hammerite posted:

This is true, someone who programs professionally should always be able to pick up new languages readily. But it is also true that once you are in a niche you are likely to continue working in that niche, I guess. So if you get a certain amount of experience working in .NET languages then chances are you will continue to take jobs in .NET.

This is all putting the cart before the horse in this thread, though, because the point of this thread as I understand it is to get people into coding who are interested but haven't done any before. And when you are in that position, worrying about which languages you want to end up using is one of the least helpful things you could do. You just need to get stuck in and learn something, anything, although ideally a "batteries included" language rather than something lower-level like C++. Could be C#, could be Python, could be Java.

I started programming 2 years ago by taking a node.js/mongodb full stack bootcamp online, then i played with google polymer and firebase, then i went with angular/c#, 3 months later i was hired as a c#/vb.net/SQL. During my first year working there i worked on a contract to develop a software using react/electron(no db) with some hardware integration that ran on a custom mobile device. I havent been a programmer for more than two years and i was already promoted to Senior dev and i am not head of my own department. Mind you that's because most programmer are loving dumbasses who arent proud of their work and just vomit code all day to fill in their timesheet.

Point is i started with javascript, it's my first love, but I am more experienced with c#/vb.net. I highly prefer javascript although i see the benefits of c#. They both have their strength.

No matter what language you start with, if you're smart enough you can translate your knowledge into other languages. You start off as a junior and you work you rear end off and go the extra mile to deliver quality code. If you take pride in what you do, youll succeed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
So you never worked in a lang where you allocate your own memory, never worked in a lang where you fight hard with the typesystem, never worked in an array lang, never worked in a real time lang or one with contracts or one with homoiconic macros...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008

In most situations, you have to go and use other people's code, too, and they have weird ideas about the bits

Reading programs is harder than writing them. A real weird thought, but I've found it to be true

Reading other people's garbage code is the best way to improve your code. Read it, take it in, and always assume that what they're doing is wrong and try to find the faults.

If you can't find any, you learned how to write good code

If you do find any, you learned what not to put in your code.

The beautiful thing about programming is that it's 100% logical and does exactly what you tell it to do. You will code bugs, that's a fact, but then you debug it and learn the faulty logic and try to not reproduce it