Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But that's not what happens in the movies :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9WbeNQG1zE&t=60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sggSjjEP49c

Movies are such a source for realism. And the obsidian on the second gun is a hell of a lot larger, physically, than the tiny tin can on the end of Wick's 9mm in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maintenance just left after installing a new dishwasher. They ran it through a quick rinse cycle to make sure it worked.

I filled it with dishes, started it, and... it won't fill with water (yes, I checked the valve under the sink). And it was full of smoke when I opened it. Guessing it tries to fire up the heater at the bottom to heat the water; instead it melted some stuff. :sigh:

Good job, Whirlpool.

e: maint came back out, we brainstormed a bit (partly because the contract and pricing they have with Whirlpool means they don't get a warranty of any kind). I looked up the fill valve part number. It's plastic. Suggested maybe it was overtightened... guess what? Loosened the fill hose slightly and it works fine now. :wtc:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 2, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo Tremek so sorry about your garage. I thought it was the whole house at first so at least that part was lucky. I just recently saw the gypsum between 2 floors in some new construction that my uncle is doing, guess that poo poo works. Doing stuff to code is where it's at. Also glad to hear everyone made it out including pets. Sometimes its hard to get them out quickly since smoke will make them panic and hide. Super sucks about the wagon though, that thing was cool as poo poo. I too though arson immediately, hope that wasn't the case but if it was then hopefully justice can be had.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Thats not what the box of .22LR rounds my fuckwit ex friend threw into a camp fire did. We heard things ricocheting off EVERYTHING as we hid our arses behind the biggest tree we could find while trying to push the dickhead out into the open to catch his own prize.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The bullets are 40 grains, the cases are about 10, that's 0.65 grams. Heavy airsoft pellets weigh .2 grams.

They probably wouldn't have even broken the skin.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: ammo in a fire, this is a pretty good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&t=788s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spider-man Far From Home was fun, take your kids.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You know, I'm thinking maybe a second layer of gypsum on the shared wall between my garage and house might be a good idea...
The attics are still connected, but still not a bad thought.Maybe also build a firewall in the attic, too. Hmmm.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

You know, I'm thinking maybe a second layer of gypsum on the shared wall between my garage and house might be a good idea...
The attics are still connected, but still not a bad thought.Maybe also build a firewall in the attic, too. Hmmm.

Maybe a layer of asbetos. Good for insulation and fire resistance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: ammo in a fire, this is a pretty good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&t=788s
That was very interesting. Thanks for linking that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tremek so sorry to see the fire, glad the family and pets made it out safe. That's one of my biggest fears, fire breaking out when we're not home and the dogs can't get out.

Darchangel posted:

It's making me concerned there's nothing but plywood between the basement/garage and the living space. I do have three smoke alarms in the garage and one in the stairs going up but I need to replace all the alarms in the house itself.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Spider-man Far From Home was fun, take your kids.

Didn't realize it was out already. Might have to try and do that soon.

I will not take my <2 year old, however. I don't know what the minimum age is that kids can handle movies in a theater, but we're not there yet. Not that I haven't seen some people try and then get annoyed when they throw a fit. Once, I saw a toddler at a 3 hour movie that started at 8pm and couldn't fathom how the parents thought that would end well. I think they made it about 30 minutes.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Suburban Dad posted:

Didn't realize it was out already. Might have to try and do that soon.

I will not take my <2 year old, however. I don't know what the minimum age is that kids can handle movies in a theater, but we're not there yet. Not that I haven't seen some people try and then get annoyed when they throw a fit. Once, I saw a toddler at a 3 hour movie that started at 8pm and couldn't fathom how the parents thought that would end well. I think they made it about 30 minutes.

I can't even imagine. The kids are in bed (or nearly there) at 8. And my oldest is nearly 7. wtf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gonna go pick up a pair of engines tomorrow. Plan got a lot less cool, but also a hell of a lot cheaper, which should mean it will be get done a whole lot sooner.

The boat anchor ain't dead yet so i'm going to build a wood frame to build everything up and have it running before i even tear the 460 out.

Researching all this relentlessly has really opened my eyes to how poo poo modern cars are.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Tremek so sorry to see the fire, glad the family and pets made it out safe. That's one of my biggest fears, fire breaking out when we're not home and the dogs can't get out.

It's making me concerned there's nothing but plywood between the basement/garage and the living space. I do have three smoke alarms in the garage and one in the stairs going up but I need to replace all the alarms in the house itself.

Y'all need Roxul safe n sound in your life.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Looking forward to the AI Fireproofing material group buy

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I’ve got a 6M air gap between my workshop full of flammable things and my house!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

I’ve got a 6M air gap between my workshop full of flammable things and my house!

I'm looking to have something like that on the Next House. Or at least, an attached garage for just car parking, with a detached shop where the really energetic stuff will live.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My garage isn't attached to my house but it is attached to my neighbors garage and I think he'd be pissed if I burnt his motorbikes to the ground.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I live in Vancouver and am not likely to inherit anything anytime soon so I am resigned to renting forever

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My brother just bought a brand new Mazda CX5 on Sunday. Today his wife tore a chunk out of the LF tire. :(

It's a threshold call, on the shoulder, with a minute amount of cord exposed. Is it dead?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

2 layers of 5/8" drywall is a suitable substitute for a 3hr fire wall in most multi-family (more stringent) dwellings, make sure you use fireblock caulking around all your penetrations and it's a cheap way to add some protection for your house.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Cord showing? Its hosed

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fridge corn posted:

Cord showing? Its hosed

That's what I feared. Well, it got 120 miles on it before it was trash. :shrug:

Thanks, corn.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

meatpimp posted:

Thanks, corn.
Could be worse. I caught a nail in the sidewall of my mustang's tire on the way home from the dealership.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Thanks, corn.

On the plus side if it's an AWD version at least it happened soon enough that you won't have to replace the other 3!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The dealer will use this situation to sell other people on the tire warranty. :cheeky:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Magtech 9F (95 gr 9x19) doesn't have enough energy to penetrate regular cardboard if heated until they go off.

Ofc we didn't know this beforehand, so it probably scores pretty high on the list of dumbest things I've done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

meatpimp posted:

My brother just bought a brand new Mazda CX5 on Sunday. Today his wife tore a chunk out of the LF tire. :(

It's a threshold call, on the shoulder, with a minute amount of cord exposed. Is it dead?

RIP that tire. If anyone is willing to patch that, don't go there, for anything.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
John DeLorean : Lee Iacocca :: Goofus : Gallant

I still like DeLorean better.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow. Also:

We formally closed on the house April 30th, and it appears the title company hosed up sending the year’s prepayment to our homeowners insurance out of escrow. It was sent to the wrong address, so therefore the insurance company cancelled the policy without telling anyone, and of course as insurance and taxes are paid monthly by us as part of our payment, all this was completely out of our control, so that’s in limbo and we are exploring our potential legal options in the meantime while Safeco decides if they’re going to play ball or dig their heels in. What a week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh gently caress. You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer more sooner than later, just in case.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tremek posted:

Rottie has a ruptured ACL. The words $5k surgery were floated by the vet. Taking him in for the surgery consult tomorrow.

As the owner of what was free but is six years later a four to five thousand dollar Labrador, I'd say it's worth it. I would probably default on my mortgage for that big dumb doofus. Maybe.

Tremek posted:

Also:

We formally closed on the house April 30th, and it appears the title company hosed up sending the year’s prepayment to our homeowners insurance out of escrow. It was sent to the wrong address, so therefore the insurance company cancelled the policy without telling anyone, and of course as insurance and taxes are paid monthly by us as part of our payment, all this was completely out of our control, so that’s in limbo and we are exploring our potential legal options in the meantime while Safeco decides if they’re going to play ball or dig their heels in. What a week.

:stonk:

My immediate instinct is not

slidebite posted:

Oh gently caress. You may want to consider consulting with a lawyer more sooner than later, just in case.

...but :frogsiren: LAWYER IMMEDIATELY :frogsiren:

Get ahold of every piece of paperwork that you've got as part of your closing and guard it like it was your child. Maybe make a copy. Maybe scan everything and keep a digital copy on your Google Drive, Dropbox, whatever. This could go really bad really quick. It could also go just fine if the insurance company and the title company work something out, but I think it would be most wise to err on the side of caution.

Then again, I was raised by lawyers and trained to be paranoid whenever I could get massively hosed, so I may not exactly be the most reasoned voice here.

This is so incredibly lovely, and you so very much do not deserve it. loving hell.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 3, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yeah, get a lawyer. Start talking to them tomorrow.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Getting a lawyer now will probably save you money in the long run, but either way you need to lawyer up.

*edit*
re: ruptured ACL, my pit bull had an ACL that was completely gone and some other knee issue, she got the tibia plateau leveling surgery and is now amazingly active compared to before. It was $4k+, and they told me there's a 50% chance her other knee would have the same issue at some point, but the difference in her movement / lifestyle is night and day.

Here's her high as poo poo a week or two after the surgery, they want you to keep them doped up so they're not active:

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 3, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

As the owner of what was free but is six years later a four to five thousand dollar Labrador, I'd say it's worth it. I would probably default on my mortgage for that big dumb doofus. Maybe.

Had to put a catte down tonight after a couple grand in vet bills over the past few weeks.

Still worth it.

Also holy gently caress lawyer the hell up.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Man that's rough. I'm so glad I did not have to use an escrow with my house and that's a good reminder as to why I should do everything I can to avoid having to use one in the future.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: Lee Iacocca

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jul/02/lee-iacocca-dies-94-auto-executive-mustang

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We need a :sever: style emote, but that says "Lawyer Up"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

We need a :sever: style emote, but that says "Lawyer Up"

I wish we didn't but yeah :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tremek posted:

loving hell.

Yeah... lawyer time.. Safeco is generally one of the good companies, but why the gently caress would they drop the policy without letting anybody know? Your lender would certainly be named on the policy as an interested party too, so they should have known about this.

Beach Bum posted:

Get ahold of every piece of paperwork that you've got as part of your closing and guard it like it was your child. Maybe make a copy. Maybe scan everything and keep a digital copy on your Google Drive, Dropbox, whatever. This could go really bad really quick. It could also go just fine if the insurance company and the title company work something out, but I think it would be most wise to err on the side of caution.

Would title insurance even touch something like this, since it sounds like the title company hosed up? Or would this be out of their court?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 3, 2019