Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tremek posted:

Probably not fire related, but they think overnight he had a rupture in his bladder or urethra, possibly from a bladder stone that didn’t show up on xrays last week (I got him into the vet last week because it looked like he was peeing slowly) - and his kidneys couldn’t take it. ER Doc this AM advised he had a poor prognosis of recovery and we were looking at $15k in surgeries to even try. Poor baby wasn’t even 2 years old. Happily chase those bunnies wherever you are, Teddy.

Oh gently caress that poo poo :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Did he stutter? Get USAA. They're the best.

My wife called Geico today to go off the deep end on them about how they are treating 20+ year customers like poo poo by trying to undervalue my car and being shady about it, you know what they told her? "The car had paint chips and scratches in it"

Are you loving kidding me? Can't wait to dump these idiots.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Damnit Tremek :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tremek posted:

Probably not fire related, but they think overnight he had a rupture in his bladder or urethra, possibly from a bladder stone that didn’t show up on xrays last week (I got him into the vet last week because it looked like he was peeing slowly) - and his kidneys couldn’t take it. ER Doc this AM advised he had a poor prognosis of recovery and we were looking at $15k in surgeries to even try. Poor baby wasn’t even 2 years old. Happily chase those bunnies wherever you are, Teddy.

jesus christ i'm so sorry to hear ☹️

I'm literally trying to convince my wife to get another puppy since dozer's mom had another litter and my friend said that i had dibs on whatever puppy dozer chose to be his buddy

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:( So sorry man. Goondolences on all the poo poo you've been dealing with lately.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Tremek posted:

Oh man. I'm so sorry to hear this.

T-Square posted:

I'm loving done with this country.
This is just such a :smithicide: for me. US healthcare, even apparently when insured, is just so hosed up I can't wrap my head around it.

July - just end already.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They’ve made minis for like two decades mate

No they didn't you shut up.
Not that I'm a BMW fanboy, but I'd hoped that they would be immune to econobox disease. Who's next Porsche? I mean, they make trucks already...

slidebite posted:

This is just such a :smithicide: for me. US healthcare, even apparently when insured, is just so hosed up I can't wrap my head around it.

July - just end already.

Yay, for profit medical care/insurance.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very sorry to hear Tremek.

I just discovered this morning that if you screenshot your iphone while connected by carplay it also takes a pic of the car display. Was snapping some shots of some email documents before work today and found that. Pretty neat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you are also aware that BMW has made a FWD car since 2014 with a bmw badge right

bmw still makes mostly RWD cars, no one is forcing you to buy a 2 series active tourer

edit: sorry to hear about bad dog news and bad partner news, that poo poo sucks guys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 30, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are also aware that BMW has made a FWD car since 2014 with a bmw badge right

bmw still makes mostly RWD cars, no one is forcing you to buy a 2 series active tourer

What part of "I just learned" did you miss? Sorry, I'm behind.
Wasn't really planning on buying any BMW, to be honest, just liked what very little purity they still had.
And yeah, I was ignoring the MINI(s).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that the minivan? I can't tell from the numbers or names anymore, a workmate started trying to list all the cars you could buy from bmw these days and got confused and angry.

Some poo poo news the last couple of pages, I wouldn't wish either on anyone.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Tremek posted:

Noooo...why?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dear Life, keep on kicking Tremek in the balls :rolleyes:

I love Newfies. the dog kind Sorry man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'll jump on the glomp pile, Tremek. What a month, indeed. :glomp:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm so sorry, Tremek. :(

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks guys. Life feeling like a bad country song right about now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is that the minivan? I can't tell from the numbers or names anymore, a workmate started trying to list all the cars you could buy from bmw these days and got confused and angry.

yes, shares architecture with the X1 and the Countryman i think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

I mean, the way you tell it you might be happier if the Raptor suddenly went away...

That's a loving poo poo sandwich, man.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Tremek posted:

This too shall pass, amigo. Please let us know whatever it is we can do to help out. Lord knows youve banked enough AI karma.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
loving hell Tremek.

I'm sorry, that looks like a good doggo and I have nothing to say except to cry if you need to.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Tremek, should we have a set of new rear tires show up at your door to burn off with the ABS fuse pulled on the Raptor in honour of the fallen puppy?
Between all of AI, that can happen very very quickly.

Edit: Condolences man, seriously.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tremek posted:

So sorry about your dog man, that's awful. In all good, dark humor though, could you stop sending your bad country music vibes out to the rest of us? Because I got a call right after I got into work at 8AM this morning...

My dad's garage went up about 7:30AM and took a bunch of my poo poo with it. Family + dogs are all fine, and the FD showed up in time to keep it from spreading to my childhood home and taking everything with it (house is even closer than the cars were, but the garage door was open and oriented directly at them so it was like a huge blowtorch). Kept it from spreading to the neighbor's homes too, thank god - there's trees and bushes everywhere and some very close structures. They think it was a short in either the minifridge or adjacent powerstrip. Some good samaritan construction guys down the street ran up and helped my dad hose down the closest part of the house with garden hoses until FD arrived.

RIP my beloved E46 and Aprilia Tuono. RIP my folk's 41 Woodie they just dumped a bunch of money into getting it fixed up. Looks like the 69 Bronco was shielded from the heat by the Woodie and will be OK after a new paint job. RIP my entire tool collection and hard-to-find spare parts for my Jeep :(

poo poo feels ultra surreal. Four different vulture-rear end scummy insurance/contractor ambulance chaser types were already lined up with business cards out by the time the fire trucks left; it's taken all of my self control to not shoo them away with a goddamn Beretta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

silver lining, that burnt woody looks awesome.

Throw some new tires on it, a little new glass, back on the road!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

So sorry about your dog man, that's awful. In all good, dark humor though, could you stop sending your bad country music vibes out to the rest of us? Because I got a call right after I got into work at 8AM this morning...

My dad's garage went up about 7:30AM and took a bunch of my poo poo with it. Family + dogs are all fine, and the FD showed up in time to keep it from spreading to my childhood home and taking everything with it (house is even closer than the cars were, but the garage door was open and oriented directly at them so it was like a huge blowtorch). Kept it from spreading to the neighbor's homes too, thank god - there's trees and bushes everywhere and some very close structures. They think it was a short in either the minifridge or adjacent powerstrip. Some good samaritan construction guys down the street ran up and helped my dad hose down the closest part of the house with garden hoses until FD arrived.

RIP my beloved E46 and Aprilia Tuono. RIP my folk's 41 Woodie they just dumped a bunch of money into getting it fixed up. Looks like the 69 Bronco was shielded from the heat by the Woodie and will be OK after a new paint job. RIP my entire tool collection and hard-to-find spare parts for my Jeep :(

poo poo feels ultra surreal. Four different vulture-rear end scummy insurance/contractor ambulance chaser types were already lined up with business cards out by the time the fire trucks left; it's taken all of my self control to not shoo them away with a goddamn Beretta.

That sucks hard dude. I’m still not even allowed to be in the wreckage of our garage and now a month on I really am struggling to be able to enumerate everything I had in there.

Pretty soon after the fire I did a sketch of what I remembered the layout of the garage was, and that’s been sort of helpful, but if you’re a picture taker (or if dad is) even just seeing “oh yeah, that was hanging on the wall” or what have you may help jog your memory.

Re: dudes with business cards, I have seen two different categories - guys from remediation companies, and fewer guys from independent insurance adjusters. As for the former, I would recommend not using a company your insurance company recommends as they’re going to be recommended for a reason - that they’re friendly to each other, which probably doesn’t end up benefiting you or your dad in the end.

As for the latter, while I only have my own experience to go from here I did end up hiring an independent insurance adjuster firm because signs were clear from the start that our homeowners insurance contacts were going to do their utmost to minimize our loss. For that reason we are retaining a public adjuster firm.

They charge 10% of the total amount recovered (some may want a few % more or less) and focus on two aspects of the loss: helping create a comprehensive and defensible inventory of what’s been lost, and what it takes to replace the lost items for like kind and quality (this would likely result in 500-1000 printed pages that the insurance company will have difficulty arguing against.)

The second piece of the loss they will in theory help aggressively but fairly build a case for us for structure/dwelling repairs and rebuilding. We did back of the napkin math and realized that if insurance was trying to keep our loss around $200k or less total - which we knew would be insufficient - that if they get us anything more than 10% over that, then they easily justify their existence in the process.

The other end goal is to decide on the value of the loss up front as much as possible so we can subsequently get those funds from insurance and then choose how we want to rebuild without having to ask for the insurance company’s permission on every niggling detail before they will release funds.

TBD how this will play out - I’m only +1 month ahead of you and the process thus far has been very slow. Good chance your insurance company/companies are also going to send out their own investigators and start digging into whether they can go after another company for what’s known as subrogation. A term I was unfamiliar with prior to this process! Anyway that investigation is also delaying getting anything done.

If I can help share knowledge in any way just say the word, I forget to check PMs but will keep an eye out.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

silver lining, that burnt woody looks awesome.

Throw some new tires on it, a little new glass, back on the road!

Hahah, you're totally right that would look great. Throw an impeccable surfboard on the roof and call it good :v:

Tremek posted:

fantastic info

Thank you, I'll pass all that along to my dad. He's getting up there in his years and I don't want him getting run roughshod by the insurance company. He's already made the call and they're sending out their own investigator stooges. It will no doubt be a long and exceedingly frustrating road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It really really makes me want a burnt wood/epoxy woody with a nice patina

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Powershift posted:

It really really makes me want a burnt wood/epoxy woody with a nice patina

I know where you can get one with the original Ford flathead V8. Brand new rear end too :piss:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hahah, you're totally right that would look great. Throw an impeccable surfboard on the roof and call it good :v:

Thank you, I'll pass all that along to my dad. He's getting up there in his years and I don't want him getting run roughshod by the insurance company. He's already made the call and they're sending out their own investigator stooges. It will no doubt be a long and exceedingly frustrating road.

Was the garage attached to the house? Is the house damaged?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, I got an unexpected call from my boss this morning.

The company is growing and things are being shuffled around, and welp, guess I'm the new service manager now. :v:
Comes with a pay raise and the work load will be split between me and the current guy, so it's not too bad.

They said they might have some positions opening up, bt I wasn't expecting it so soon.
Comes with a pay raise too, so that's pretty great.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tremek posted:

Was the garage attached to the house? Is the house damaged?

Detached, but only by about ten feet. Paint is bubbled up, motion sensor light melted and our outdoor shower attached to the house got fried but so far that's extent of the damage.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
This is easily the most depressing thread on the entire forums for the last few pages. Condolences

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shitfest the Clown posted:

This is easily the most depressing thread on the entire forums for the last few pages. Condolences

I think im going to stop reading/posting in it before something terrible happens to me

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ive just spent the whole day helping my dad completely re-do the plumbing for water distribution on their farm. Im now expecting a glue fitting in the middle of the manifold to leak like a loving sieve.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Shitfest the Clown posted:

Nah, because there are plenty of great folks here for support. This is easily one of my favorite threads on the forums, month after month, and one of the few that I bookmark and follow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got my MRI results from my accident, three herniated discs in my neck and one in my back. Yay.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Will that fix itself or are you hosed for life?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It will not ever heal, it's permanent. If anything it could get worse. Just hoping at this point I won't ever need surgery (a last resort).

This is hitting me pretty hard because I'm an active person, just recently started working out and recovering from a debilitating shoulder injury feeling pretty good about myself (was posting in the AI workout thread about it), and now I'm back to being inactive indefinitely again. I have other health issues as well and it feels like it just keeps piling on, I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough sometimes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It will not ever heal, it's permanent. If anything it could get worse. Just hoping at this point I won't ever need surgery (a last resort).

This is hitting me pretty hard because I'm an active person, just recently started working out and recovering from a debilitating shoulder injury feeling pretty good about myself (was posting in the AI workout thread about it), and now I'm back to being inactive indefinitely again. I have other health issues as well and it feels like it just keeps piling on, I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough sometimes.

Good luck in your recovery but know that it's not a death sentence. I had surgery for one disc on L5-S1 6+ years ago and life is pretty great now and I'm able to stay active. Surgery recovery sucks but it's better than living with pain IMO. Obviously there are risks with any surgery but there are also potential rewards so don't rule it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If life could stop kicking my AI doodz I'd really appreciate it, July has been a loving terrible month for you lot :/

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 31, 2019