Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i drive faster than the speed limit and generally keep up with traffic etc if im on the freeway but i drive a prius so if there's a hill or something there's only so much i can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does america not have speed cameras

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Isaac posted:

they are pretty rare compared to europe or australia. we have red light cameras but most speeders are caught by cops using radar

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Isaac posted:

generally, no. in fact, california state law straight up bans them.

i think the problem with them is that people just memorize where they are and then slow down and then back to business, but imo i think theres a lot of school zoned-areas and local streets that could benefit from them because theres way too many angry hemmerhoided commuters that just follow waze or w/e and blow through city streets here in hoping of shaving 2 minutes off their commute instead of sticking to the freeway. might not help for locals in the know, but catching the occasional dipshit commuter who doesn't know the lay of the land is good enough of a start

i dont think they make any sense for freeways

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Isaac posted:

Not on the highways, only at traffic lights and not in every city

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Super Waffle posted:

I'm seeing a whole lot of judgement in this, the slow driver safe space thread

Mister I-Listen-to-Audio-Books-While-Deliberately-Blocking-the-Left-Lane ruined it for everyone in less than one page.

Mods please rename this thread to “SLOW DRIVER DESTRUCTION DERBY: Eating Dust On My Way to Eat rear end”

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Isaac posted:

My state banned them then it went to the Supreme Court. They allowed it. They make millions off this btw, and a person that isn’t driving can get the ticket. License plate scan. How is this handled elsewhere?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Burt Sexual posted:

My state banned them then it went to the Supreme Court. They allowed it. They make millions off this btw, and a person that isn’t driving can get the ticket. License plate scan. How is this handled elsewhere?

I hate to preface it with this, but John Oliver discussed these on his show. They're run by a 3rd party so it's just a huge money making scam. When you get the ticket, it's not even from the police. It's from that 3rd party who setup the cameras. You even mail them the check, not the police. I'm glad some states and municipalities are banning them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jose Oquendo posted:

I hate to preface it with this, but John Oliver discussed these on his show. They're run by a 3rd party so it's just a huge money making scam. When you get the ticket, it's not even from the police. It's from that 3rd party who setup the cameras. You even mail them the check, not the police. I'm glad some states and municipalities are banning them.

yeah the issue is that a lot of these are just operated by some lovely for-profit companies. if they were installed and operated by the state/municipality then that would be fine, but the ~grifting and bribing~ potential for politicians would be a lot less so that's no go

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

In australia they are everywhere. Both mobile and static ones. If you drive faster than the posted limit you will probably get caught by one pretty quickly and get a fine in the mail.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I got probed for admitting this in the past... But I drive slow and don't like dealing with people merging, either. So I drive slow in the left lane a lot. Tbh most of my time driving is either listening to an audiobook or just deep in thought, so I never really pay a lot of attention to people passing me on the right or giving me mean looks. Driving is a place where I can catch a little "me" time. Like being on the toilet, but surrounded by people. Am I proud of it? No. But my blood pressure stays low, I've never been in or caused an accident, and I always get where I'm going.

You should be permabanned for this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

buglord posted:

being brown means that getting pulled over is an exciting game of life or death, so driving the speed limit means there's one less thing to pull me over for. ill sometimes cheat and drive 67-68 in a 65 zone because ive never heard of a cop pulling someone over for going 2-3mph over the limit.

pigs aside, my car is old and it takes a while to zoom zoom zoom, and when it does, the interior is rattling.

Friends got pulled over for going one mph over the limit shortly after crossing the Oklahoma/Texas border in a car with Washington plates. They were both white guys and still got searched, they think it was because it’s a common drug trafficking route?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I take the subway and train now. Losers.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xaris posted:

yeah the issue is that a lot of these are just operated by some lovely for-profit companies. if they were installed and operated by the state/municipality then that would be fine, but the ~grifting and bribing~ potential for politicians would be a lot less so that's no go

we are like 10 years out at most from federal and state governments selling the entire interstate and highway systems to private corporations who will charge per-mile rates for passage and will automatically deduct it based on license plate scans (you can buy a license plate with a prefilled amount or hook it up to your bank account)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

I've never been in or caused an accident

You have 100% caused an accident. Just because you're ignorant doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Picture this, two 1 mile circular tracks. Track one has 20 cars all driving 60 mph. Track two has 20 cars, some driving under 60 mph and some driving over 60 mph.

Which track is safer?

Answer: Track two! Because, it has cars driving under 60 mph, and slower is always safer. Speed kills!

Lovely Primate
Jan 21, 2011

Speed limits are only necessary because there are so many dumbos on the road that don't know how to drive. If you are anywhere near a semi-competent driver you know not to do 130mph in a blizzard in thick fog while the road is covered in marbles and puppies

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

When merging onto a 70 mph freeway via ramp, do you: 1) Get up to at least 70 mph or the speed of other traffic on the ramp, then merge on, or 2) get up to around 45 - 50 mph on the ramp then merge on, then take 1 - 3 minutes to increase speed.

Answer: 2! Because, you merge on at a slower speed, and slower = safer! Speed kills!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Blaorg! People drive too fast in the left lane. So I regularly drive *exactly* the speed limit in the left lane, to make sure all the traffic in the left lane doesn't speed. Just doing my part to save lives! I had a custom bumper sticker made that says "THE REGULATOR"! Blaorg!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Today someone made a complete stop at a green light before making a right turn in front of me.

It was dumb AF and them and the slow people should not be driving anymore. Thanks God bless.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I love safety lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ps. please sign my petition to rename "California Stop" to "California Roll" thanks and bless

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I'm worried about speed traps and I drive for my work so I cant gently caress around with tickets. Speed limit for me

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

People just need to calm the gently caress down on the road is all. Some people are new to driving or the area. Some just want to get home safely. Yeah, California natives, I'm talking to you.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Telebite posted:

Blaorg! People drive too fast in the left lane. So I regularly drive *exactly* the speed limit in the left lane, to make sure all the traffic in the left lane doesn't speed. Just doing my part to save lives! I had a custom bumper sticker made that says "THE REGULATOR"! Blaorg!

Thankfully my state has a “Slow Poke Law” that makes it illegal to be driving in the passing lane without the intention of passing another car.

I mean, I’ve never actually been stuck behind a slow driver and had the police swoop in, pull them over, and watch them executed in my rearview. But it’s nice to know that law is there I guess?

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9El02sloXQE

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It gets the car in the right lane or it gets the horn again.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

It gets the car in the right lane or it gets the horn again.

Lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

numberoneposter posted:

I'm sure all sorts of cyclists make some drivers go insane but I at least do try to move over as much is safe and let cars by and not impeded traffic.

Yes. There's a particular town I work at regularly that has a lot of single lane windy narrow roads and of course cyclists love that poo poo. There are no bike lanes along these roads because THERES A loving BIKE PATH THAT RUNS ALONG NEXT TO THEM BUT THE loving CYCLISTS DON'T USE IT. They instead ride in large groups definitely not in single file and slow vehicle traffic/make it dangerous for drivers because they have to swerve into the opposite lane to go around them.

Occasionally I get stuck behind a slow driver on these streets but the cyclists are way worse.

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
During a long trip recently with three cars I learned that my car is showing less than actual speed (-7km/h@110km/h) so I guess I have been going slow for a while.

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

I got probed for admitting this in the past... But I drive slow and don't like dealing with people merging, either. So I drive slow in the left lane a lot. Tbh most of my time driving is either listening to an audiobook or just deep in thought, so I never really pay a lot of attention to people passing me on the right or giving me mean looks. Driving is a place where I can catch a little "me" time. Like being on the toilet, but surrounded by people. Am I proud of it? No. But my blood pressure stays low, I've never been in or caused an accident, and I always get where I'm going.

You're a dumbass, and I hope someone plows a semi into you

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Lotta road ragin' posters barging into the slow driver's thread...

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

There is a sick pleasure in driving the speed you want and just letting the whole rest of the world eat poo poo as you cruise along without a care in the world

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

I get slow cars on a highway can be annoying, so i usually go back roads. I don't know what's happened to the perfectly good 4 lane highway that I'm paralleling but I keep getting cars flying by me while I'm running 45 in a 40.

Like, run 100 on a highway idgaf but running more than 50 on a 2 lane rural road should be grounds for having your license taken away. Example: some loving moron was cruising at 70 over a blind hill and blind corner, passing a car doing the speed limit and plowed into someone head on and killed her. In summation

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 1, 2019

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I like to chill out in the lane when im not in a rush, and indicate to people if they're up my rear end so they can just overtake and tailgate someone else 20 metres infront of me. Ppl need 2 chill.

That being said i hate those slow cyclist sons of bitches get hosed ya dogs

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ayo ban this bitch. no irony whatsoever.

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Thesaurus posted:

There is a sick pleasure in driving the speed you want and just letting the whole rest of the world eat poo poo as you cruise along without a care in the world

I hope someone kills you too

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I ride dirty and I'm not white gently caress you if you want me to speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Les Os posted:

I ride dirty and I'm not white gently caress you if you want me to speed

When they see you rollin', are they hatin'?