Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
they should make it so cars require 3-4 people to properly operate, i bet that would go a long way to fixing some of these issues we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

speaking of old freeways that need to be redesigned, the US-50/I-80 Business Loop interchange in Sacramento is God loving awful. Theres like three lanes that merge on at the same time theres a few offramps to midtown and downtown or to I-5 etc so if you're there between 8 am and 6 PM at basically any time you'll almost certainly be in a lane going 70 trying to merge into one going 15 or the other way around

yeah the capital corridor is terrible. I remember going to department of water resources but the off ramp blended with 2 lanes merging on at like bumper to bumper meanwhile the lane I was in was like 70 so I had to brake to almost a stop and slip in across 2 stopped on-ramp lanes to get to the off ramp: I want to say this was like 20th/X st. I also think those were going to slow because they turned to 80 or something.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

What was driving like before everyone had mobile phones distracting them? There's nothing more terrifying than seeing people obviously staring down at their phones while driving.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol don't know, but I do remember getting irritated at an increase in distracted drivers talking on their cell phones a few years after I learned to drive. Little did I know that they'd be gluing them to their faces within a decade.

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 8, 2019

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Riding the lime scooter down the middle of the road

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Octy posted:

What was driving like before everyone had mobile phones distracting them? There's nothing more terrifying than seeing people obviously staring down at their phones while driving.

less people died.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

So glad I ride a bike. CRITICAL MASS FTW! :iiaca:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Octy posted:

The police have tried to seriously crack down on this in the UK, but it's still an everyday occurrence.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I drive 5 mph under because deer have a habit of attacking my vehicle and it gives me more time to listen to podcasts and I get better gas mileage. Driving is the only time I get to myself where I don't have to worry about work or politics or internet slapfights.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ground floor page one

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I drive 5 mph under because deer have a habit of attacking my vehicle and it gives me more time to listen to podcasts and I get better gas mileage. Driving is the only time I get to myself where I don't have to worry about work or politics or internet slapfights.

why do you have to worry about internet slapfights anytime you are not in a car

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
slow drivers are OK with me as long as they pull over and let me go by, so shoutout to all those folks. everyone else is crap!

edit: slow drivers in the middle lane of the interstate who just go 45 while people blow past them on both sides should be in jail, tho

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Splicer posted:

Ground floor page one

:golfclap:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Splicer posted:

Ground floor page one

it took me a while.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

it took me a while.

SO GET OUT OF THE FUCKIN WAY GRAMPS

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

it took me a while.

took them a while too

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

The 427 in Toronto is loving insane.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
is the speed sign says 90km/h, i sit comfortably in the left lane all the time. there is no need to go faster and im helping you not getting a speed ticket.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol at all the big tough guys that race to the red light and then slam on their brakes. If your cars were intelligent and had opposable thumbs I think they would try to strangle you.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Saalkin posted:

The 427 in Toronto is loving insane.

everyone's just landed and has forgotten how to drive in the week they were in the Dominican. Anything within like 40 klicks of Pearson is a loving disaster.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I drive like 50,000 miles a year for work and the two things that are making me crazy are 1) people who go from the middle lane to the left lane with no one in front of them right as I'm about to pass them and A) people who touch the god drat brakes for no readily apparent reason

You can go slow and it won't bother me, unfortunately the people who go slow are also usually the motherfuckers responsible for the two crimes described above which means you're in poor company you distracted, unpredictable bastards

Sakura-hime
Jul 6, 2019

Nerses IV posted:

I drive like 50,000 miles a year for work and the two things that are making me crazy are 1) people who go from the middle lane to the left lane with no one in front of them right as I'm about to pass them and A) people who touch the god drat brakes for no readily apparent reason

You can go slow and it won't bother me, unfortunately the people who go slow are also usually the motherfuckers responsible for the two crimes described above which means you're in poor company you distracted, unpredictable bastards

I hate people who tap the breaks for no reason. Causing every god drat traffic jam I see in the DC area.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

von Braun posted:

is the speed sign says 90km/h, i sit comfortably in the left lane all the time. there is no need to go faster and im helping you not getting a speed ticket.

Why though, just to be a cocksucker?

The correlation between slow and smug is astonishing.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
What if you drive fast but are mentally slow? ??

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Smythe posted:

What if you drive fast but are mentally slow? ??

seems like a problem that solves itself!

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Sakura-hime posted:

I hate people who tap the breaks for no reason. Causing every god drat traffic jam I see in the DC area.

I'm also in the DC area, (well.. outer DC area) and I can confirm this as accurate. Also, some people can't maintain a speed, slow or fast, to save their goddamn life.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I got three speeding tickets in the space of a year and am really paranoid about it these days.

Mostly I just make sure there is at least one car going faster than I am and stay in the right lane as much as possible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"Make sure there's someone ahead of you going faster" worked for me for a good 15 years, and then last year I got nailed doing 80 in a 65 with a guy doing at least 85-90 in front of me :(

Fair play to the cop though - I didn't realize until he asked for my license that I had forgotten my wallet at home, and he could have made my life loving miserable off of that alone. He also ended up giving me a 74 in a 65 because it's a lesser ticket than 75+ in a 65 and I was "driving fast but not driving stupid" :shrug:

e: also I'm brown as hell so I was mostly just thankful I didn't get shot for getting pulled over in a car I couldn't immediately prove was mine

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"Make sure there's someone ahead of you going faster" worked for me for a good 15 years, and then last year I got nailed doing 80 in a 65 with a guy doing at least 85-90 in front of me :(

Fair play to the cop though - I didn't realize until he asked for my license that I had forgotten my wallet at home, and he could have made my life loving miserable off of that alone. He also ended up giving me a 74 in a 65 because it's a lesser ticket than 75+ in a 65 and I was "driving fast but not driving stupid" :shrug:

e: also I'm brown as hell so I was mostly just thankful I didn't get shot for getting pulled over in a car I couldn't immediately prove was mine

drat dude you are lucky that the cop didn't murder you, wow

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

drat dude you are lucky that the cop didn't murder you, wow

Yeah he pretty much told me straight "I could have you in the back of my car and your car on a tow truck to impound right now if I wanted"

Not that it would have gotten me out of that outcome, but I've always heard that if you get a violation related to not being able to produce a license or insurance, you can get it dropped by proving you were licensed/insured at the time of the violation. Anybody know for a fact if that's true or false?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In Ontario that's true

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Depends on state law, but where I live you get a greatly reduced fee. But only if the cop writes it up as a fix-it ticket. Otherwise, even if it's fixable you have to pay the whole fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSkinny posted:

Depends on state law, but where I live you get a greatly reduced fee. But only if the cop writes it up as a fix-it ticket. Otherwise, even if it's fixable you have to pay the whole fine.

lol what the gently caress is a 'fix it' ticket, is that like the 'you're white have a nice day sir' special?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Walrus posted:

lol what the gently caress is a 'fix it' ticket, is that like the 'you're white have a nice day sir' special?

I think it's like "I'm writing you a ticket for a broken taillight but if you mail in proof you got it fixed within X days of today, it'll be dropped."

So basically, yeah.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Or if you have a broken headlight and the cop is all wtf, you simply explain it broke during your current voyage.

Then when he gets salt in his vag about why it's all rusted out, you explain it was a prior indiscretion, but of course the car was never on the road in such condition.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Or if you have a broken headlight and the cop is all wtf, you simply explain it broke during your current voyage.

Then when he gets salt in his vag about why it's all rusted out, you explain it was a prior indiscretion, but of course the car was never on the road in such condition.

haha yeah being white must kick rear end

e: not aimed at you directly ofc

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

My wife got me driving faster. Nowadays I pretty much go with the flow in the right lane and pass if it's a truck or something.

As for worrying about getting a ticket the rhyme in northern California is, "over Five you're fine, over Nine you're mine." Seems to work.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
did someone just get probated for a two week old post in here lol

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brolander posted:

did someone just get probated for a two week old post in here lol

Did you read the reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I think I realized why I hate getting stuck behind slow drivers so much.

It’s like when I’m stuck behind a slow driver it almost feels like I’m not even driving the car. I’m just watching a really lovely movie of someone’s trunk. I get bored.

I start to fidget... I start to brood...

When I have road in front on me I can be 100% focused on driving.