Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The stage is set, OG has just defeated Liquid for the honor of claiming the Aegis of the Immortal twice in a row, an unprecedented achievement. Ceb screams “CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB!” As he exits the booth, making haste towards the podium bearing his claimed trophy. The arena, silent save for a few stragglers applauding, is filled with straight sitting, arms crossed Chinese refusing to acknowledge superior Dota. As Ceb picks up the aegis, Dove approaches for the post TI interview. “Wow! Fantastic Dota! Congratulations on winning TI! Now, the question everyone has been dying to ask: which is your favorite Chinese team?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Mental illness. One of the two constants between 2018 and 19 are gogey and who wins ti.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kild posted:

The stage is set, OG has just defeated Liquid for the honor of claiming the Aegis of the Immortal twice in a row, an unprecedented achievement. Ceb screams “CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEB!” As he exits the booth, making haste towards the podium bearing his claimed trophy. The arena, silent save for a few stragglers applauding, is filled with straight sitting, arms crossed Chinese refusing to acknowledge superior Dota. As Ceb picks up the aegis, Dove approaches for the post TI interview. “Wow! Fantastic Dota! Congratulations on winning TI! Now, the question everyone has been dying to ask: which is your favorite Chinese team?”

lmao this was extremely funny watching it

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
My fave China team is TNC.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
The post-game “interview” that OG just ignored for 10 minutes was hilarious. Like, all of the post-game was hilarious, basically OG celebrating for 15 minutes while everyone left.

Is there some separate awards/closing ceremony that I missed? That wasn’t the whole thing, was it? Like, the quarterly KSL Starcraft II tournaments have better ceremonies than that. Not trying to be a salty fanboy, it was just so... weird

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

The post-game “interview” that OG just ignored for 10 minutes was hilarious. Like, all of the post-game was hilarious, basically OG celebrating for 15 minutes while everyone left.

Is there some separate awards/closing ceremony that I missed? That wasn’t the whole thing, was it? Like, the quarterly KSL Starcraft II tournaments have better ceremonies than that. Not trying to be a salty fanboy, it was just so... weird

Yeah you missed out on the “Late Game” night show with the Chinese broadcast team where they interviewed them. Then after that OG was taken to the bar where they’ve been having the Late Game so that the English and Russian broadcasts could also have their own interview with the team.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Here's the VOD of the chinese interview and then late game:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472119419?t=30m20s

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Going to be interesting seeing how True Sight looks with two English-speaking teams, we'll finally get a read on whether they cut for negativity so we can stop talking about it

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ogre is getting an arcana.

OG wins the International.

OGre.

Coincidence? Probably.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The meme hero wins the arcana.

The meme team wins the TI.

Coincidence? I think not! :colbert:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Finally got to watch the grand finals. Absolutely nutters.

Though the part of me that wants conspiracy and drama wonders if Ana was so sad looking after game 1 because he felt dirty throwing game 1. I wouldn't doubt OG would throw a game to make the psychological impact of the next game being a stomp even more impactful.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Absolutely nutters.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrailAbnegateFungusDancingBanana

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Using chat lines to gently caress with the caster is some next level poo poo.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Only way to balance the game from here: ana banned from captain's pick.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I cannot believe No "Big Daddy" Tail is the best player in the best team in the world called "Original Gamers" that won "The International 9" tournament for the action video game "Defense of the Ancients Two" for millions of dollars.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

EorayMel posted:

I cannot believe No "Big Daddy" Tail is the best player in the best team in the world called "Original Gamers" that won "The International 9" tournament for the action video game "Defense of the Ancients Two" for millions of dollars.

OG doesn't stand for original gamers :colbert:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Just watched the vods. Absolute clowning by OG, what fantastic gameplay.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I'm also imagining the tension and overall hype in TI9 being applied to a 50 turn game of mario party and it is remarkably fitting

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

I'm so glad someone clipped this

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm wondering if some of the other pro teams are gonna take some lessons from how dominant OG was throughout the entire tournament, and how clowny next years TI is gonna be.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Other teams should copy the bm

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also the davai dota style.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm wondering if some of the other pro teams are gonna take some lessons from how dominant OG was throughout the entire tournament, and how clowny next years TI is gonna be.

OG's thing isn't that they are clowny, it's that they have a really clear idea of how their team composition interacts and what they need to win and are utterly unafraid of going 'off meta' if that's what they need. Diffusal Gyrocopter was the main example in the final, but all through the tournament OG players were picking the item that their team needed most at that moment rather than going down their hero build flowchart like most players do.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am catching up OG's group stage games, and I just saw a Tiny finish Topson's invisible invoker by planting a gg branch, grabbing it and then throwing it in the right place.

Co-caster: "meh boring" :suicide:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Guys, the tournament isn't over just yet, RTZ has his battlefury and is moving toward the mid T2 to creepcut

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Xarn posted:

I am catching up OG's group stage games, and I just saw a Tiny finish Topson's invisible invoker by planting a gg branch, grabbing it and then throwing it in the right place.

Co-caster: "meh boring" :suicide:

A what now

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

People called iron branches GG branches in Dota 1.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I was busy all weekend and missed the games :smith: but at least I'm in time for the best part of the season - shuffle madness.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can’t wait until next TI when that goblin grandmother of the year is the hero teams dread to face head-on.

I think people don’t like when grand finals look suspiciously similar to pubs, and so the complaining and reflections to TI4 over these stomps are mostly because OG used low cooldowns that do moderate amounts of damage and denied Liquid the high cooldown moves associated with big plays like ravage and black hole.

We like that poo poo because we can’t actually hear the players talk, so seeing a team hiding smoked in the trees waiting to spring a big move is about the only time the audience is witness to the strategy discussion. OG’s strategy, without the comms, just looks like a bunch of diving and clowny manfighting. Obviously they’re a super talented team and conformed to the winning playstyle, but the vulnerability they found in Icefrog’s design this year was a pretty stupid one.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

went to sleep at the end of LB finals game 2, woke up to see the result of the grand finals.

I just started laughing, I really didn't expect liquid to be able to beat LGD, but it also makes sense in hindsight. LGD didn't have a whole hell of a lot of pressure on them the entire tournament until that set of games, and those mistakes in game 2 just shattered them. Feels like they assumed they could stomp liquid without too much trouble, but liquid had just clawed their way up out of the poo poo and were ready AF to go hard.

I don't really care about spoilers, so I'm still gonna have fun watching this third game stomp and the GF.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I'm just waiting for a patch to drop for a game I no longer play

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alchemist is getting taken out back

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Craptacular! posted:

Can’t wait until next TI when that goblin grandmother of the year is the hero teams dread to face head-on.

I think people don’t like when grand finals look suspiciously similar to pubs, and so the complaining and reflections to TI4 over these stomps are mostly because OG used low cooldowns that do moderate amounts of damage and denied Liquid the high cooldown moves associated with big plays like ravage and black hole.

We like that poo poo because we can’t actually hear the players talk, so seeing a team hiding smoked in the trees waiting to spring a big move is about the only time the audience is witness to the strategy discussion. OG’s strategy, without the comms, just looks like a bunch of diving and clowny manfighting. Obviously they’re a super talented team and conformed to the winning playstyle, but the vulnerability they found in Icefrog’s design this year was a pretty stupid one.

Yeah i thought this TI was great too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'll stand by my statement that if you were rerun last year's TI, you would have gotten a different winner every time. OG played just good enough to eke out a win from an LGD who played poorly enough to lose, but this year OG was the only team in the entire field who were winning their games convincingly against opponents who weren't making major mistakes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

:chloe:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Craptacular! posted:

The vulnerability of "being better than everyone else, convincingly"

If your argument is that pro players shouldn't have to keep up with a meta then :laffo:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

oh no they didn't sit around doing everything slowly and "strategically"

what a loss for we, the viewers, to not be treated to their cerebral prowess

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Also they did have strategies and do a lot of practice. A team that was kinda just doing whatever and looked lost was NiP or Chaos not OG. Jesus christ

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Any confirmed roster shuffle news?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like this style of dota is so different that we might get some of the old vanguard players waking up this morning and realizing they should retire.