Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/cofactorstrudel/status/1274972292032761857?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tobi is casting with Trent instead of Zyori today for the Beyond Epic matches

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Texting someone pictures of bloody bedsheets is extremely weird poo poo

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Texting someone pictures of bloody bedsheets is extremely weird poo poo

Imagine doing it and "not really remembering the context" but really it was probably a joke! haha!

also this fuckers response is the most textbook I'm-a-rapist-and-I'm-upset-I-got-called-out response ever:

"The Article posted:

Waiting five years, then dropping this bombshell, it makes me feel guilty, but it feels like it is kind of by design.

between this and HenryG the CSGO commentator turning out to be a rapist as well this is a bad day to be an esports personality that I used to like. (henryg and grant specifically I'm not sure I've ever heard of this Zyori oval office)

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 22, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

At least we can always trust Bone7 to have the hottakes ready

https://twitter.com/bOne7DotA/status/1275063439430316036

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

...what?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jesus dota come on

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Whole bunch of redditors in those threads angry that it's apparently wrong to ask someone for sex??? Completely unaware of factors like time/place, context, power imbalances, etc. It's making me sad, but I don't know why I expected anything different.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Imho, I do think it's gotten somewhat better, at least online. I used to get enormous poo poo in game for being a girl if I dared to use my microphone, so I stopped doing it for the most part, but people seem to be a bit more sanguine overall now. I think it's in part due to the community growing older and becoming more mature. I'm not surprised to hear that the in-person events are totally gross, though. It can be uncomfortable to be a women at these things and that sucks, cause we just wanna have fun and enjoy the game like everyone else.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

nikosoft posted:

Whole bunch of redditors in those threads angry that it's apparently wrong to ask someone for sex??? Completely unaware of factors like time/place, context, power imbalances, etc. It's making me sad, but I don't know why I expected anything different.

I went in with low expectations and was still surprised

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Reddit is a trashfire and I noped out of that thread real fast.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

NtotheTC posted:

I went in with low expectations and was still surprised

Yeah, exactly. For what it's worth, Grant does come across as sincere in his apology and it does seem like he's grown as a person in the last few years, but of course that never excuses what happened in the past, and the right to forgiveness lives with the aggrieved individual. I also like ODPixel's response about sexual harassment training before TI or whatever and saying that it's a good idea and it's like NO poo poo! There should be a code of conduct you have to sign before working at these events, at the very least, to make expectations very clear. Even absent that, it's like guys, c'mon, it's not hard, don't be creepy and entitled. That's all there is to it.

Sorry to keep rambling, it's just frustrating because it's one of those terrible facts of life that if you are a women and you want to participate in these things, then the expectation seems to be that it's okay to make you feel uncomfortable and weird, and it's your fault if you speak up. I'm a grown-rear end adult now so I recognize it and am capable of shutting it down pretty hard, but I feel terrible for the very young women that do cosplay and what they go through simply because they don't have this understanding and experience. They just want to enjoy their hobby.

Ugh ugh ugh

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Lost in the mix of genuine horribleness is how sad and pathetic and weird it is to be like uhhhh can I tell people we had sex. Straight out of a comedy movie from 1993 that’s trying to really drive home how much of a loser a character is

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't say i'm too surprised that a bunch of coddled weirdos who play a really toxic videogame have turned out to be creeps

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

nikosoft posted:

Yeah, exactly. For what it's worth, Grant does come across as sincere in his apology and it does seem like he's grown as a person in the last few years, but of course that never excuses what happened in the past, and the right to forgiveness lives with the aggrieved individual. I also like ODPixel's response about sexual harassment training before TI or whatever and saying that it's a good idea and it's like NO poo poo! There should be a code of conduct you have to sign before working at these events, at the very least, to make expectations very clear. Even absent that, it's like guys, c'mon, it's not hard, don't be creepy and entitled. That's all there is to it.

Sorry to keep rambling, it's just frustrating because it's one of those terrible facts of life that if you are a women and you want to participate in these things, then the expectation seems to be that it's okay to make you feel uncomfortable and weird, and it's your fault if you speak up. I'm a grown-rear end adult now so I recognize it and am capable of shutting it down pretty hard, but I feel terrible for the very young women that do cosplay and what they go through simply because they don't have this understanding and experience. They just want to enjoy their hobby.

Ugh ugh ugh

I think your rambling is fine and justified. It's dogshit that Valve flies a bunch of social awkward people born from a legendarily toxic community and plies them full of Katie Kate parties and money in an insanely high stress environment and then doesn't provide any oversight or written expectations about not being a giant creepo. It's mega lovely that someone is allowed to use their status as 8th most popular Dota caster at an official event (ie: a workplace) to pressure people into sex and be still allowed to have a job.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/keepingitKyle/status/1275092519794212865

Kyle is good

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That is actually a pretty fantastic article.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that’s really good

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, that’s really good

Other than that one line with Dahmer. 😬

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Dota game related: I'm really sick of zoo meta.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Between Kyle's well thought out article and Nahaz's correct stance on the issue I'm getting serious "The worst person you know just made a great point" vibes. Now expecting EE to pen a masterclass essay on respect and consent using his favorite tsundere anime characters to drive the point home.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Dota game related: I'm really sick of zoo meta.

Only like 7-14 more days of this, thankfully

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Super Rad posted:

Now expecting EE to pen a masterclass essay on respect and consent using his favorite tsundere anime characters to drive the point home.

He plans on releasing it as soon as Arteezy wins a TI.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Indeed

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

emdash posted:

Only like 7-14 more days of this, thankfully

Hero changes won't come yet, but maybe the general mechanics/economy update will tweak it a bit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently not just talk either

https://twitter.com/ReinessaGaming/status/1275095303193006081

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/BeyondTheSummit/status/1275143557993512960

that team that 3v5'd a few days ago has been banned for match fixing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Seems our friend Redeye isn't a saint either https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/hdd69j/kelly_jean_twitlonger_about_henryg/fvm9yhc/

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Kyle and Nahaz, two people who I hate watching, are very good.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

the twitlonger where the woman describes being raped is not about redeye, it's about a CS:GO player named Henry? A cs:go person named Banks (i think) says redeye does bad poo poo and is blackballing Banks from casting and stuff? i think that's right

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Oh cool. Someone may as well tell me Tastosis are assholes now to cap off this day of "hey, you know that person you liked?"

sugar free jazz posted:

the twitlonger where the woman describes being raped is not about redeye, it's about a CS:GO player named Henry? A cs:go person named Banks (i think) says redeye does bad poo poo and is blackballing Banks from casting and stuff? i think that's right

https://liquipedia.net/counterstrike/James_Banks

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kibner posted:

Other than that one line with Dahmer. 😬

In the grand scheme of things I don't see anything wrong with it.

That said it is extremely unsurprising the first comment is getting angry about it and saying he's only doing it to try and get nudes lmao

amazing demonstration of the problem and why I do not expect it to get better

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

sugar free jazz posted:

Banks was also the panel host for a recent dota tournament, maybe the last WePlay one?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Banks was cohosting some dota stuff during the lockdown and I remember someone here calling him a chav. sounds about right.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Looks like Banks did the WePlay Pushka League

https://liquipedia.net/dota2/WePlay/Pushka_League/1/CIS

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Redeye stuff just seems like professional beef: https://twitter.com/BanKsEsports/status/1228620758408159237

Given how incredibly lovely it is to suggest that someone has done nebulous 'wrongdoing' right in the middle of a moment where sexual misconduct allegations are coming out I'm going with 'not true' and 'borne out of malice'.

I really get the sense that Redeye is a perfectly nice guy who is also aware that he's 10-20 years older than most of the crowd he hangs out with professionally. He seems generous, respectful of professionalism, and I recon the vast majority of the people who work with him really like him.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The Redeye stuff just seems like professional beef: https://twitter.com/BanKsEsports/status/1228620758408159237

Given how incredibly lovely it is to suggest that someone has done nebulous 'wrongdoing' right in the middle of a moment where sexual misconduct allegations are coming out I'm going with 'not true' and 'borne out of malice'.

I really get the sense that Redeye is a perfectly nice guy who is also aware that he's 10-20 years older than most of the crowd he hangs out with professionally. He seems generous, respectful of professionalism, and I recon the vast majority of the people who work with him really like him.

"This white guy that someone is saying is problematic is probably good." Is a super bold claim to make right now.

Not saying you're wrong, but like...

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

He mentioned physical abuse in his reddit post which given the context seems like it was meant to imply sexual harassment.

He gave no additional information though and seems like he won't just say "his side" of the story and instead wants journalists to pick it up and run with it so I'm starting to wonder if, whatever it is, it isn't quite on the same scale as today's other revalations. It could be anything from assault to a shoulder bump

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i have zero attachment to redeye, but responding to a post about a woman outing her rapist with "yeah and this other guy is blackballing me and is ~evil~" is kinda weird

that woman did something really loving hard, be supportive and don't try and coopt that space unless it's relevant and important. her trauma isn't his soapbox

edit if it is relevant and important, don't tease it like a movie sequel or some poo poo. If it's second hand and you don't have permission from the people whose trauma you're talking about to discuss it then don't discuss it. if you have first hand knowledge and it's your life, or you do have permission, then come out and say it and make actually important information known to the community because that's a really serious safety issue

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

i have zero attachment to redeye, but responding to a post about a woman outing her rapist with "yeah and this other guy is blackballing me and is ~evil~" is kinda weird

that woman did something really loving hard, be supportive and don't try and coopt that space unless it's relevant and important. her trauma isn't his soapbox

edit if it is relevant and important, don't tease it like a movie sequel or some poo poo. If it's second hand and you don't have permission from the people whose trauma you're talking about to discuss it then don't discuss it. if you have first hand knowledge and it's your life, or you do have permission, then come out and say it and make actually important information known to the community because that's a really serious safety issue

Yeah this is it. I'm all for believing victims, but if you are going to accuse someone of something then you actually need to accuse them. Hijacking someone else's story to go 'btw this guy is a bit of a poo poo nudge nude wink wink' is the wrong way to go about this in so many different ways.