Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

JollyPubJerk posted:

gently caress trying to order some poutine if you don't speak frenchy

I was in Montreal a month ago and they are more than glad to accept tourist money for poutine in whatever language you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Glumslinger posted:

lol, do gamers like drinking and misjudging odds to be in their favor? :thunk:

Explaining why “322” is a thing to these people was kind of surreal.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Turns out China and USA are the exact same, except Chinese fans are louder.

you literally can't immigrate and become a Chinese citizen, ever

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

pepe pin is gone :thunk:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I was in Montreal a month ago and they are more than glad to accept tourist money for poutine in whatever language you want

frenchy mink detected

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That guy streaming that they interviewed just ran into the Mara Cup dudes from Japan and had a chat (its over now though)

https://www.twitch.tv/jakenbakelive

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Turns out China and USA are the exact same, except Chinese fans are louder.

The US government wishes they could open up Muslim forced labor camps.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

didn't they move to Vancouver last year to avoid visa issues? valve had to literally lobby one of their senators for help getting visas for ti7

if they're avoiding the US it only makes sense to go to China where the biggest Dota 2 community is

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Vit uice pro

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is he wearing skinny suit pants

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Table too hard

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ojetor posted:

didn't they move to Vancouver last year to avoid visa issues? valve had to literally lobby one of their senators for help getting visas for ti7

if they're avoiding the US it only makes sense to go to China where the biggest Dota 2 community is

It was because KeyArena was under renovation for our new NHL team. Visas were never the reason.

Fun fact: that construction is now delayed through 2020 so we dunno where TI10 will be.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
lmao they're actually joking about the height thing

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ojetor posted:

99/100 visa issues stem from trying to do everything last second. And Valve does EVERYTHING last second

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

JollyPubJerk posted:

is he wearing skinny suit pants

It's Italian fit. Vs British fit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JollyPubJerk posted:

99/100 visa issues stem from trying to do everything last second. And Valve does EVERYTHING last second

I think the bigger visa issue was for visiting fans, rather than teams themselves

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dota2ti/status/1163659843401584651

That's the good stuff

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Smelly Lion

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

JollyPubJerk posted:

Wasn't Valve telling players to misrepresent themselves on Visa applications in order to save themselves money/hassle? Or was that Bulldog? It all runs together.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JollyPubJerk posted:

gently caress trying to order some poutine if you don't speak frenchy

The gently caress is wrong with you

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wasn't Valve telling players to misrepresent themselves on Visa applications in order to save themselves money/hassle? Or was that Bulldog? It all runs together.

I thought Bulldog had some background check problem, like an arrest or something

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Belly pics or gtfo

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

JollyPubJerk posted:

and yet there were zero visa issues for Canada last year or China this year :thunk:

but no, obviously the disfunctional US border control system is blameless

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

The Glumslinger posted:

I think the bigger visa issue was for visiting fans, rather than teams themselves

Aside from the "muslim ban," I can't think of why Seattle would be harder to get into than Vancouver. The recurring visa issues are work visas for players and casters, not fans.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I thought Bulldog had some background check problem, like an arrest or something

That was for TI8, for TI7 Valve expected all casters to lie and say they were not getting paid, Bulldog did not get that memo and said he was doing a job when stopped at customs and was turned around at the airport lol

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ojetor posted:

and yet there were zero visa issues for Canada last year or China this year :thunk:

but no, obviously the disfunctional US border control system is blameless

TI8 had Bulldog get his visa rejected because of a prior conviction.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Only reason kids would have a hard time getting in is if they're poor as hell from a poor region and the government rightly thinks they're not going home.

All of this would be avoided if Valve gave them letters up-front vouching for them. But Valve never did until they were on the 3rd try, which is too late. Valve is just bad at everything they do.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Feel like I've seen a lot of games of Pango eating poo poo this event but maybe that is just me

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
iirc valve told the talent to apply for tourist visas instead of business visas. visa officer asked if bulldog was earning money during his trip and he said yes so that hosed him over

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Isn't that the standard thing companies ask people to do with they are coming for work in the US for like couple of days since getting a work visa is a massive hassle there

JollyPubJerk posted:

Only reason kids would have a hard time getting in is if they're poor as hell from a poor region and the government rightly thinks they're not going home.

Man you really do suck so much honestly. American Visa system is incredibly hosed up

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Pango ET is a great combo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Super Rad posted:

That was for TI8, for TI7 Valve expected all casters to lie and say they were not getting paid, Bulldog did not get that memo and said he was doing a job when stopped at customs and was turned around at the airport lol

Valve telling every single one of their casters to lie on their visas doesn't really make me believe that the issues are with the U.S. Government and out of Valve's control

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Wanna see those crits

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boredsatellite posted:

Isn't that the standard thing companies ask people to do with they are coming for work in the US for like couple of days since getting a work visa is a massive hassle there

It's a massive hassle for nearly every country

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Weird, ramzes changed his name from ramzes.afoninje to ramzes.julia mid ti

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:siren: TERROR THE BLADE :siren:

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boredsatellite posted:

Man you really do suck so much honestly. American Visa system is incredibly hosed up

Uhh... nearly every country in the world won't let people in if they think they're going to hide in the country. Do you travel?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Kaci just no selling that random Russian.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
oh drat I forgot about the coach change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
WAAAN HANDDREDD PUHR CENT