Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So I was wondering, is there a reason Sumail hasn't joined another team yet? I know the rumors were always he was playing with his brother, but it seems strange that he wasn't picked up basically immediately after EG released him. Isn't he still considered one of the better mids in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

EG never released him. He's still under contract and if anyone wants him on their team they have to reach an agreement on a buy out with EG.

http://www.evilgeniuses.gg/news/eg-2020-dota-roster

I don't believe s4 is on a team either and that's also why.

That seems really lovely. Unless my understanding is off (which it could be since things have changed rapidly) but the actual org salaries are a small part of the overall income, and most comes from outside endorsements, tournaments, etc. So they're basically locked out of a big part of their revenue stream (and I also doubt EG's gonna bother promoting either of them much knowing they're gonna be on another team).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zurreco posted:

It's a sports contract - they are designed to favor the org. That being said, I doubt the buyouts are super steep. Life of a Genius is a cool PR thing but it also shows just how much Phil plus whoever was around (Fear, ppd, Crit, etc) had to babysit Sumail sometimes.

I underestand sports contracts will tend to favor the org, but as I pointed out unlike other sports leagues where outside of a few ultra-famous stars the vast majority of the money a player makes is from the contract, my understanding is the actual org pays little and it's tourney prize pools and endorsement opportunities and things of that nature. When Carmelo got paid to stay away from the Rockets it's not like he was losing out on much because they still had to pay him.