Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Dota strategy is hard to follow because most of it is based on timings and power spikes, which requires you to know about a lot of different heroes and how they’re influenced by item and talent builds and by the other heroes on their team — and then in any particular game all of that might be completely swamped out by a few critical outplays or just some sheer chaos.

Like if I had to tell you why VG won Game 5 of the major grand finals just now, I could probably spin you a pretty good story about strategy in retrospect, but I doubt I would’ve known what to look for in advance, or even as it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

DNK posted:

This is my underdog team but why the gently caress are they in SEA and if they win SEA I will feel terrible for ever liking them

It’s a Korean, two Koreans who might currently be living in Canada, a Thai (23savage), and Gunnar. They could also be in NA, but I don’t why you’d have a problem with them being in SEA.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Oh, yeah, SEA is understood to just mean basically everything east of Iran that isn’t behind the Great Firewall.

Edit: I don’t know if there are actually any Iranian DOTA players, but I have no idea where they’d play. I just mean that west of there would probably play in Europe unless they were in some former Soviet state. Valve probably has a formal definition somewhere.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 2, 2019

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

These NA OQ finals are agonizing. What the gently caress are these teams waiting for.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Yaaaaay, it’s over

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Libertine posted:

If Gambit wins this game does it set off a huge tiebreaker mess for the CIS playoff seeding? Guess if Nemiga wins also.

Yeah, if they both lose there are no tiebreakers, if one of them wins they presumably play a nice, clean GSL bracket, and if both win all hell breaks loose.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Maximum tiebreaker chaos avoided, and it actually looks like there won’t be any at all.

Gambit — ranked #13 in DPC, 7-8 finisher at Epicenter, clear favorites in the CIS qualifier — came into today 3-1, lost all three games, and is out of TI.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 8, 2019

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

There have been Youth/B teams for several of the Chinese orgs for a while now, which is a lot more than essentially any non-Chinese team can say

Yeah, isn’t this mostly just setting up a formal competition for all those Youth/B teams that already exist?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

SA region-crashers HAM eliminated in the qualifier group stages.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

They did have an Argentinian on the team, but yeah, four out-of-region players was really sketchy and all right-minded people should be glad they failed.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Right-minded people don't have anything to do with this game/genre

Yes, but if you tracked them down at the orphanage and took their tray of medicine away and forced them to listen to an explanation of the structure of the Dota region system and its secondary consequences, they would probably agree that playing out of region with a single token team member isn’t okay, and it might not just be a ploy to get their tray back.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Why would you pick Alch/Spectre in the first place? What’s the theory, that you’ll be amazingly rich as soon as you can take over 80% of the map?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

lol this morphling

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Morphling Aghs is insanely broken, both because it’s overpowered with the right teammates and because Morphling is a really good hero without it and does not need that kind of buff. The entire concept needs to be scrapped before TI.

...but I’m glad I got see that, holy poo poo (and in a game where the Morphling’s team was totally dominating anyway so it’s guilt-free).

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

...I completely gave up on them and went and did something else, then saw posts in here and went back to discover they were up like 20k. loving how?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Are they really playing Aachen vs AM next?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Ravus posted:

Am vs Chaos AFAIK.

That seems much smarter. And yeah, they’ve updated liquipedia, cool.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

That seems much smarter. And yeah, they’ve updated liquipedia, cool.

Wait, no, this is the way that didn’t make sense. Oh well, it set up this nicely dramatic game.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Yeah, I was rooting for Synderen stack, but they clearly weren’t going anywhere this year.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

I hope Icefrog doesn’t take away from this game that Morph Agh’s doesn’t desperately need to be nerfed.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

“grats on the shitbowl victory”

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Whoa

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

It’s the classic 50’s American idea of a bratty little boy, like Dennis the Menace or Jack B Quick. Even has a cowlick.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Insania on the couch is amazing.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

and the three na teams go out dead last

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

jesus, that jump from 17th/18th

also the jump from 2nd to 1st, of course

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Those look pretty much dead on to me

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Wow, Wyvern hasn’t even been picked yet?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

The only tiebreakers for actually-important things like upper/lower and lower/out are extra games.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress is this segment anyway

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Purge's patch streams are ridiculous mostly because he insists on trying to do much deeper analysis than is at all reasonable. There's a lot of interesting information there, but there's also a lot of (1) pulling out a calculator to figure out exactly how much damage some skill will do at rank 3 on a target with 20% spell resistance, (2) ten minutes of theorycrafting about how the change will affect skill and item builds for a particular hero, and (3) trying to test out every obscure interaction that occurs to him during the stream. Pretty much all of that is stuff he could cut with some discipline.

On the other hand, I think there's literally no incentive for him to do that. He got something like 2,000 subs today and was still picking them up until the very end. He probably doesn't get that if his stream is three hours instead of eight.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

There are like six decent teams in NA and they’re somehow each on their own tier.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Arteezy valiantly seeking out new cliffs to get trapped and die on.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Nobody is ironically MAGA.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

lol that riki game

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

I think they’re just scheduling way too much every day. The group stages were 5 Bo3s a day, and today was 4 Bo3s but starting later and on-stage. It would’ve gone late even if they’d all been 2-0’s.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

The sweaters are awesome and easily the most memorable production-design quirk I can remember in a DotA cast.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Zernach posted:

What match was that that? I don't remember the last time I've seen a Rikimaru in a pro game and want to see how that works (or doesn't).

edit: Nwm, found it RNG vs GF game 2

It’s definitely worth checking out — maybe even the full broadcast so you can hear the announcers’ stages of incredulity.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

Ending of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit

URSUS/Empire elimination game in that CIS qualifier I mentioned a couple days ago with a snapfire/riki on URSUS

Haha, that ending