Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm kinda hoping LGD or VP make it this year. Both teams have had relatively stable rosters for like 3 years (which is like a goddamn century in pro Dota time), LGD has gotten super close multiple times, and VP always comes in flaming hot to TI only to crash out spectacularly. So those are the two I'm rooting for this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Valleyant posted:

The uh, pepe pin is an interesting choice

Pepe is used on twitch chat in a mostly non-racist way (as non-racist as twitch chat can get, tbf). But uh, yeah it's still very questionable. I hope Lacoste is just unaware of the political implications being European.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Holy poo poo really? I guess Pepe is a land of contrasts

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

jeef posted:

lmao there's no way tsunami is that short

Google says Synd is 2m tall (6'6" for you Americans)

Tsunami seems probably like 1.75m (5'7") which isn't that short tbh, Synd is just a giant

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cmon Gabe, get a sound engineer on this, the Chinese caster is really distracting.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

come no need to stan valve on this, balancing sound levels isn't some inscrutable problem that can't be solved

in fact they already did

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

it's fine now, the first couple of minutes the background audio was really loud

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

that was a cocky walk into 5 with max agi right there

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

forcing the split was so good by tide

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

i thought for a second the yelling was going to alert VP they hit the sven in the trees

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

holy poo poo that patience from tide to hold the ravage

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

rodjer SHOOK

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Its Rinaldo posted:

No, I mean sometimes the crowd is cheering and there is nothing going on like somebody is farming creeps. I'm fine with home crowd cheering good dotes, don't get me wrong I just get confused by cheering random things.

chances are the Chinese observer is watching somewhere else on the map and someone avoided a gank or whatever

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

EorayMel posted:

Why is dazzle second on networth for vp

Also that's a double damage rune

its a mid dazzle

a big reason why they're losing tbh

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

EorayMel posted:

Why was there a mid dazzle

:ussr:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

didn't they move to Vancouver last year to avoid visa issues? valve had to literally lobby one of their senators for help getting visas for ti7

if they're avoiding the US it only makes sense to go to China where the biggest Dota 2 community is

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

JollyPubJerk posted:

99/100 visa issues stem from trying to do everything last second. And Valve does EVERYTHING last second

and yet there were zero visa issues for Canada last year or China this year :thunk:

but no, obviously the disfunctional US border control system is blameless

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

EorayMel posted:

Quote this slacks when VP loses a rax:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

what an absolute thrashing

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Can't wait for Europe to put NA dota out of its misery.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

LOL

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Zurreco posted:

Io gonna get nerfed mid-TI

Wisp removed for pressing ceremonial reasons.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nasgate posted:

For Christ's sake Puppey asked Kaci if she'd ever been pregnant, live, at the biggest event of the year.

It wasn't live, they could have edited it out, which makes it even more baffling it still made it in. I guess it was supposed to be funny somehow? But yeah, that interview revealed Puppey as a deeply unpleasant person.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just checked yesterdays results

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

he did have the cool radio voice, so I'm not surprised someone watching for the first time would think that

looked him up for the first time in ages and he's doing well:

https://twitter.com/ayesee/status/1160014209683525632

pretty cool :unsmith:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Valve announced Grim and Mars at the same time last year iirc so we will see.

Yeah and Pango/Willow were also announced at the same time. I was hoping we'd get another "and this new hero is out NOW" like we did with Grimstroke.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm rooting for one of the Chinese teams to win it.

Not only would they take the Aegis in their own country, it would also keep the legend of "no one has ever won two TIs" going into the 10th goddamn International :eyepop:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

IncendiaC posted:

i wonder how long it will take for the community's opinion of carry io go from "lol io gimmick carry build" to "iceFRAUD sux nerf this OP poo poo"

as soon as it starts invading every pub

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

the real annoying poo poo is echo sabre slowing during tree volley, that poo poo makes you get hit like twice as many times as you should

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

ElNarez posted:

if only LGD had a way to prevent the Alch pick

yeah just ban it lol so easy

why even balance anything, just give each team 50 bans

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

would anyone really be surprised if it came out that OG is hopped up on pills? esports as a whole and TI in particular are insanely high stress environments and completely unregulated in this regard

what is actually suprising is v1lat/the rumor mill trying to pretend that this is some exceptional circumstance and that only OG is doing it, lmao get outta here with that disingenous crock of poo poo

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Alchenar posted:

I know there would be lag issues, but you could hold the tournament online.

If they're unwilling to hold even minors online, TI is certainly out of the question.

It would be such a shitshow from connectivity issues alone, not to even mention that the temptation for cheating would be absurd with 30+ million on the line.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

nikosoft posted:

What the gently caress, is that seriously supposed to be an apology? Why are people like Zai replying with "Very well put and inspiring"?? Im losing my goddamned mind right now

It's a sarcastic non-apology. The NADota forums were a loving trash fire full of your typical teenage edgelords posting "ironic" racism, sexism, etc. Good riddance.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's less about contractual obligations and more to have a document everyone can reference that strictly regulates what is appropriate and not. Said document should also state who's in charge of overseeing this and enforcing it. Obviously you don't need to write down "don't rape people", as that's a literal crime. It's still good practice to have guidelines about what is acceptable behavior and set down a process to remediate issues if they pop up. It gives victims some additional security that they will be heard and action will be taken.

Not sure why this appears to be huge news for everyone, most conferences/conventions/big events have a CoC to deal with this poo poo.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been having some good results with Disruptor, though admittedly the farthest I've gotten is level 14 playing with pubbies. If you get the right enhancements you can do a lot with infinite Kinetic Field.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Saw Merlini own the final boss by using Weaver, who goes fast to avoid all dumb bullshit spells but also can attack while invisible with Shikuchi and the boss just stands there confused. His team all died and the game actually got 1000% easier because he could just press the invis button and then attack for a long time before needing to recast

I got to the final boss as WD and I was able to survive for like 10 minutes after my entire team had died. Some observations:
  • Aghanim is really not very threatening if you have Heart and a way to dodge the laser. Force Staff works, but resist the urge to use it to dodge anything other than the laser. I nearly died once because it was on CD when the laser happened.
  • There appears to be a soft enrage where Aghanim's projectiles get faster the longer the fight goes on. For most of the battle, I was able to dodge most attacks by just moving. By the end even the basic crystal shots were fast enough they were impossible to avoid.
  • I lost because I got stuck in an eternal loop where I was easily able to survive but all my abilities were locked and I couldn't break the crystals to to free them so I couldn't do any damage.
  • The ability locking crystals are immune to Death Ward (ward attacks will hit them and bounce off, but no damage will be dealt to the crystal) which was really the final nail in my coffin.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Doesn't Scepter Burrowstrike apply Caustic Finale to all hero targets? That's gonna be insane if you get enough targets and one dies they're all likely going to die. Even if it's just a support that dies first. At high levels even the most underfarmed support is still going to have like 1500-2000 HP making that 130 + 22% of max HP a big rear end chunk of damage.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

that was some absolutely amazing WR play all game long

Yopaj is a goddamn beast

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

turns out my pub experiences aren't that far off from professional play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dawnbreaker is real trash rn. Doesn't do poo poo even if you manage to avoid the permanent cooldown W bug.

Crummelhorn posted:

Launch Monkey was so awesome. Infinite duration jingu stacks doing like double the damage they do now, 200% boundless crit at first level, lifesteal ignored armor. I cannot imagine they played even one bot game with the hero before dropping it onto an unsuspecting universe

I remember watching Singsing's stream at the time and he was spamming MK mid and going like 30-0 every single game. At least Earth Spirit required some practice to land everything, anyone could pick MK and just annihilate their lane by right clicking with phaseboots.