Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holy poo poo that battle pass is loaded

also i didn't realize until now that there was still a dota thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's been wild to get back into dota over the last month or so with my friends for the first time in years, because all these additions like the neutral items and every hero having a scepter upgrade and the revamped skills were really throwing me for a loop for a while there. i've generally adjusted to it, i feel.

having ogre magi and undying be more popular picks is really loving with me, though. i remember back in the day when ogre was a joke pick and undying was generally regarded as useless, and i love playing both. now ogre gets reflexively banned half the time. also bristleback, another fav of mine.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious, what has the pro reaction to changes to the game like neutral items seemed to be? i mean i'm sure it's hard to sum up something so wide with anything concrete, but i was wondering if some pros got really turned off by it or really loved the additions. people like that are sure to have pretty distinct opinions on things of that sort. so much has changed over the years, yet it's still dota beneath it all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

everyone kinda hated it at first and then valve started nerfing a bunch of em (or straight up removing some of the items). Reactions now are very mild, and its hit or miss with people.

i can definitely get that. they very much seem like something that people at the top of the food chain would dislike. now i'm kind of curious as to what the 'overpowered' ones were like.

i'm only mildly hung up on all this because they're probably the one thing i encountered when returning to dota that threw me for a loop.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IcePhoenix posted:

There was a tier 2 item that could be consumed to give someone an aghs buff for 3 minutes

e: a t3 item that delays your death by 5 seconds (think WK's aghs buff)

holy gently caress

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can tell i've returned to dota when a pubstar pudge picker accuses me of smurfing because i did well as ancient apparition due to, i guess, having 'way too good map awareness' which on my part mostly involved looking at the minimap and shooting ice blasts at clumps of faces when they showed up

i had no clue what to even say because it was so baffling

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think it was anyone notable, but you could tell they played pudge A LOT

but apparently i'm secretly a pro at the game so they met their match

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is there any word on how many battle points the summer event will pay out? i feel like that might make a difference, possibly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do they ever put battle pass levels on sale? and if so, is it a decent amount?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, that actually sounds pretty dope. with how much time i've put into this over the years it'd be an easy buy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want to see what the queen of pain arcana is like

i just want an undying or enchantress arcana, tho :smith:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Undying definitely needs a persona not just an arcana because it's the coolest technical hero with the lamest visual design.

unfortunately i have to agree, it's serviceable but it's pretty much the bare minimum. it's like someone went to dreamworks and said 'hey we need a shambling zombie guy with armor'. even his cosmetic sets just kinda shuffle that around a bit and give it a different flavor, but still keep it the same general thing.

i want an undying arcana that turns more hosed up the more strength you decay from heroes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i noticed they keep making changes, lmao

that ill-advised side shop thing is just. gone now. which is fine by me, because it seemed like a giant waste of time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a lot of it has to do with the laning phase and how well you can harass the enemy heroes in it with decay and the like. if you get a bit of a lead using him then he can typically help keep that lead going, but if your team falls behind then it'll be difficult to catch back up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if these community sets to vote on are anything to go by, people are getting a lot better at designing things.

some of them are also still incapable of not overdesigning things, too

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not going to lie, that queen of pain arcana looks dope as hell

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

she's the only one i play out of all the arcanas/personas from the battle pass, so if i'm going to get levels it'll purely be to get that one :shobon:

it's funny how an arcana's sonic wave is more readable than the base one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why does slacks hate windrunner so much

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there are few things i would enjoy less than watching a 30 minute video about that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

icefrog please just give us the community cache results + sets and the summer event

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to an extent i can understand nostalgia but the game is at the point where so many overall improvements have been made, ignoring specific and weird changes which can be highly positive or negative from patch to patch, that pining specifically for some specific build from 5+ years ago is probably a prime signal of someone having brain worms

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't say i'm too surprised that a bunch of coddled weirdos who play a really toxic videogame have turned out to be creeps

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IcePhoenix posted:

it's a lot easier for predators to hide in plain sight than you think and I assume friends may miss warning signs as just a funny quirk or something because, well, they're your friends

given the amount of poo poo dudes say to me or joke about with me re: other people and especially women because they assume i'm Just Like Them and 100% agree, i generally have a difficult time ever accepting that they're truly oblivious to their buddies being weird creeps. they probably know what's happening. they just don't want to bother with it or feel like it's fine.

it's all fine, right? absolutely fine. don't rock the boat. just play videogame, be a superstar. it's fine if you're famous. they should feel lucky that they're getting the sort of attention that they are from a famous dota person, of course.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how long has tobi existed in the scene? i feel he'd give a lot of gold if someone last hits him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beef posted:

You cannot properly codify "don't be a loving rear end" or "don't creep on people". If anything, it gives a free pass to have the same effect via other ways that are now, guess what, totally OK because it's not in the CoC!
Nebulous and broad CoCs are likely drafted by corporations partly as a whitewashing "look we're doing something", but seem to be more effective as a tool for getting rid of people on their shitlist. It's a lovely way to enforce social norms, something that _everyone_ should help enforce, all the time.

yeah and the sheer lack of anything so far sure worked out for those women, huh

can't wait for the burden of not being abused by people to be placed on *looks at notes* the people being abused and ostensibly the ones doing it instead of the organization that oversees everyone

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still wrapping my head around you not understanding the basics of legality when it comes to corporations and how it's not some magical world where everyone holds hands and sings about how the world can be a better place as long as we strive for it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Beef posted:

Is there a legal implication if I tell you where you can stick that ad hominem?

yo we apparently already exist in a failed state where many people are coming out about like a loving baker's dozen of pro dota-involved individuals being horrendous shitheads and apparently pulling strings all these years to face no consequences about it, is it really a surprise that people are going to get snippy about it when someone comes in and says 'hey why should there be something in place to say these things are bad'

this isn't a scenario of trying to prevent cancer, the pro dota community already has it and needs it cut out before they can even remotely begin to put measures in place to keep it from coming back. so hey! i'm glad that other posters are apparently able to be nicer about this poo poo than i am, but i genuinely feel like everything has progressed past a point where i care about being civil.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

well i'd hope we're aware of it given that this is the pro dota thread in games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

racist creep who has been racist creep for like 10 years is very suddenly remorseful after talking mad poo poo on twitter as early as like yesterday iirc

hmm

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NtotheTC posted:

Not just racist, by the sounds of it

yeah, i was lumping that in with 'creep' because for tobi it's kinda implied as a base

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheRat posted:

I have bad news about these forums and the people who frequent it

eh, it's way better than it used to be

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/hfrjmu/valve_just_removed_tobiwan_voicelines_from_the/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Up Circle posted:

look it takes time to wheel over your desk to the public statement team

a wheel caught itself on the edge of one of the rugs, it was traumatic for everyone involved

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

*reddit chud voice* but the lost value from the battle pass...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

god that's dumb as hell. yeah, really gonna get an actual farm advantage when you can't have your entire team leave the base lest the creeps just win the game for the other team.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like if a team is able to get megas and all of them are pushing into the enemy base and they're STILL unable to close it out despite every lane being rammed in then they probably deserve to lose, because something has probably gone critically wrong on their end

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i now have the queen of pain arcana and it feels like what her model would be as a baseline if the game was released this year, lmao

anyways, it rules. technically i have the skeleton king thing as well but that's such a boring loving hero.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it should be going on through most of september, iirc, which should be plenty of time if you want to get some stuff. not sure how much the summer event will pay out in terms of levels. there's the bundles for 120 levels each that are 30 bucks and you can buy two of them, which is neat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i have genuine doubts as to how much of the cool poo poo someone can reliably reach without paying more money. we technically don't have the full picture yet, i guess, but we probably have at least like 75% of it and you're probably gonna have to pony up for any of the arcana/personas for sure.

getting that qop arcana is literally the only whaling i'll ever do for this game, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so what the gently caress actually happened with necrobook