Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
*extremely dorky voice* Let's go Li-quid! *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Stream B, where's the sound :negative:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
This is very uncomfortable.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Spudd posted:

???

Massages are amazingly comfortable and I want one like that really badly

yeah so, I apparently just discovered a new phobia: watching people get massages

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Any confirmed roster shuffle news?!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I got a work call right as my first game on the new patch loaded and I spent 30 mins on speakerphone about a major issue, and read emails, and sent emails, and also played Pugna at the same time and I had no idea what was going on and now my head hurts.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I'm pretending Nigma is pronounced Nijh-mah, it's making me much happier.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Why don’t u nigma balls

Nijh-mah your balls? That doesn't even make sense! :colbert:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Is Nigma (lol) out of contention for the minor now?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I want TI in Las Vegas

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://twitter.com/EvilGeniuses/status/1263130117125083137?s=19

Better than the previous logo, not as good as the original

original EG logo was perfect, the redesign was so, so bad. so bad. extremely bad. terrible.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Whole bunch of redditors in those threads angry that it's apparently wrong to ask someone for sex??? Completely unaware of factors like time/place, context, power imbalances, etc. It's making me sad, but I don't know why I expected anything different.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Imho, I do think it's gotten somewhat better, at least online. I used to get enormous poo poo in game for being a girl if I dared to use my microphone, so I stopped doing it for the most part, but people seem to be a bit more sanguine overall now. I think it's in part due to the community growing older and becoming more mature. I'm not surprised to hear that the in-person events are totally gross, though. It can be uncomfortable to be a women at these things and that sucks, cause we just wanna have fun and enjoy the game like everyone else.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

NtotheTC posted:

I went in with low expectations and was still surprised

Yeah, exactly. For what it's worth, Grant does come across as sincere in his apology and it does seem like he's grown as a person in the last few years, but of course that never excuses what happened in the past, and the right to forgiveness lives with the aggrieved individual. I also like ODPixel's response about sexual harassment training before TI or whatever and saying that it's a good idea and it's like NO poo poo! There should be a code of conduct you have to sign before working at these events, at the very least, to make expectations very clear. Even absent that, it's like guys, c'mon, it's not hard, don't be creepy and entitled. That's all there is to it.

Sorry to keep rambling, it's just frustrating because it's one of those terrible facts of life that if you are a women and you want to participate in these things, then the expectation seems to be that it's okay to make you feel uncomfortable and weird, and it's your fault if you speak up. I'm a grown-rear end adult now so I recognize it and am capable of shutting it down pretty hard, but I feel terrible for the very young women that do cosplay and what they go through simply because they don't have this understanding and experience. They just want to enjoy their hobby.

Ugh ugh ugh

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Kyle and Nahaz, two people who I hate watching, are very good.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

What the gently caress, is that seriously supposed to be an apology? Why are people like Zai replying with "Very well put and inspiring"?? Im losing my goddamned mind right now

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Sampatrick posted:

you would have to live under a rock to not know how grandgrant is (or at the very least was, probably seems more like still is). he was publicly an absolutely massive piece of poo poo for years.

If only there was some accountability for the people who continuously hire, nurture, and shield these people :thunk:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I genuinely liked Grant too, but even if these things happened in the distant past and you've changed since then, you don't need to wait until you get called out to reach out and try to make amends.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Cool, things are getting worse.

For what's its worth, I had a good time at both events I attended, MLG Columbus and TI7. In Columbus, I spent some time chatting with casters and players and got to hang around back stage and even scrim with the players.

I should also point out that I went to both of these events with my male cousin, because I know it's not safe to do these things on my own. So all of the special places I was invited (probably because I'm female) he was right next to me so I never felt uncomfortable. You basically have to go to these things with a chaperone.

Edit: I just realized that it sounds like I am blaming these women for being alone, and I absolutely am not, I am just saying how loving cynical you need to be to think about your own protection before you can even think about trying to have a good time and enjoy things like a normal human, and that is absolutely hosed up.

nikosoft fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 23, 2020

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Purge is so, so good: https://twitch.tv/659246242

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Zurreco posted:

It's been taken down/deleted.

On his latest stream he talks about coming to understand male privilege and his responsibilities in the scene to say something and combat misogyny. He also shares he was bullied by Grant and others in NA dota back when he was starting out.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Ragingsheep posted:

Do you really need a code of conduct which says " don't drug and sexually assault people"? Because if you do, I think you might has well just burn it all to the ground and give up.

Actually, yeah, you should have these in place. They should be required for cast and crew to read and agree to if they are going to work your event.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Beef posted:

You cannot properly codify "don't be a loving rear end" or "don't creep on people". If anything, it gives a free pass to have the same effect via other ways that are now, guess what, totally OK because it's not in the CoC!
Nebulous and broad CoCs are likely drafted by corporations partly as a whitewashing "look we're doing something", but seem to be more effective as a tool for getting rid of people on their shitlist. It's a lovely way to enforce social norms, something that _everyone_ should help enforce, all the time.

You can and should codify your expectations for these events, even if it's only to reinforce what should be common sense and a social norm. Taking the step to communicate policies is really important when it comes to their effectiveness. It's not just for CYA after the fact, there's actual, provable value in being up front about expectations.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Beef posted:

Fair enough. My point was not about that there shouldn't be something like a CoC in place, but more about their effectiveness. I definitely understand the impulse to want to put _anything_ in place that helps.
From my US corporate experience, I have not seen CoCs being an effective substitute for a critical mass of people with human decency, removing the support that kind of behavior. You're still asking the victim to go and report it to HR, which has the tendency to "start an investigation". The joke is that HR is litigation mitigation, and my fear is that CoCs end up being more effective for that purpose than to actually have any social justice impact. That was my impression, and there have been interesting points raised in this thread to counter that.

I completely understand how it can feel that way, and nobody enjoys going through these trainings, but there is published data to support that codes of conduct do have a positive impact on ethnical behavior. Of course, the establishment of a code does not always determine how people act, there is that organizational cultural component that can influence patterns of behavior, but also the act of codifying values and demonstrating that you adhere to them can change the culture in the first place. This is especially true of smaller organizations (like what we would expect with BTS), where employees may assume that since 'we're all one big family!' that everyone is operating from the same ethical rulebook, and that may not (is clearly not) be the case.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

TheRat posted:

Isn't it kind of incredible that there's full radio silence from BTS/LD/Godz?

Yeah, this is a real problem. They need to come out and at least say we are going to do a review, implement policies and conduct training, hold our employees actable for their actions, blah blah. Just say something, idiots, it's not hard.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

lmao how are they so bad at this

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I have massive problems with him posting the he said, she said poo poo and texts, who cares, you're in charge of this dipshit, own it and lead the way forward. "We support women, we're gonna do some stuff" isn't exactly inspiring.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I am so glad to be a goon, you guys are good people and you get it. :angel:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

TheRat posted:

I have bad news about these forums and the people who frequent it

You know what I mean! We ran off most of our frothing incel idiots, and all turned into middle age communists. Let's get rid of another wife-beater and then we can all hold hands and sing kumbaya in our separate subforums for eternity.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Looke posted:

Literally want to kill my self thinking about having tobi hovering over me

Tobi slowly removing his poorly-fitting sateen vest and rumpled collared shirt as he stares down at you

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Looke posted:

Cancel Bulldog next pls

yes please

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

The REAL Goobusters posted:

from demon's post:

:yikes:

oh my god, lmao. What a creepy loving idiot. Whatever dude, you suck.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I can't figure out how to quote a tweet from new Twitter (or run away from sexual assault because I'm a girl), but demon literally replied to the backlash from his Twitlonger with this:

lol idiot jimmy posted:

If it wasn't transparent enough, I do deny these allegations against me. This will be a difficult one to recover but to be accused of a sexual predator, creep or even rapist is something beyond my character. I apologize for the apparent victims for what they believed was true.

:downs:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
So, uh, is GH playing from Lebanon currently?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Guys, I think Gh is really good

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Alliance/Nigma is really fun

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I really like Vikin.gg, they are fun to watch.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Why can't Nigma just play normal drafts? It always feel like they are trying weird poo poo

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
Core Undying on Mind Control game 2 :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I used to hate Kyle, but he's 100 percent right on every single thing so now I like him

Dota's dyin, Valve