Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRat posted:

gorgc is a swedish pubstar who's been toying around with going pro a few times but never quite making it. Think he was like top10 rank at one point. Stormstormer is an upandcoming mid pubstar I think?

e: "Stormstormer has 10,000 games in Dota and 2500 games on invoker. " :yikes:

Stormstormer played on Waga stack a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I think most Slarks in pro games that I've seen recently have skipped Shadowblade or put it off until later?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

Kyle has been terrible, and Purge has been jabbing at Kyle back constantly, and it just makes me like Purge less

I thought sleep deprived Kyle and sleep deprived Purge talking poo poo while Basskip desperately tries to steer them back to dota was a cute dynamic v:shobon:v Not sure if I hate myself enough to listen to Nahaz though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

You can look at literally every other hub to see them filling time in better ways. Kyle just has... like, the sense of humor, the interests, the political acumen, of a 14 year old kid who found google. Or an NPR listener. And wants to demonstrate that, Actually, He Knows Things Now. And he does it even when the games are playing. And then, yeah, he tries to like, jab at other couch people and ~roast~ them in ways that don't land, or that would maybe work better if he knew the target better, or if everyone knew how to roll on after. He doesn't know when to let a conversation drop, or will pull a discussion back to a previous topic once he comes up with a killer joke for it. It just... really really uneven, but it's like he's aggressively mashing all his 'Socialize' buttons at once and holding them down.

gosh, I dunno, this is way too much analysis, but its mega bad and it is not some 'ah, it's just because he is burdened with filling time.' It happens during casts, between games, whenever.

He and his bro were homeschooled which explains a lot.

Dunno, I find him trying really hard and falling flat on his face more often than not funny instead obnoxious because it feels genuine or at least he's selling the persona very well.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly Forward has looked the best of any of the open quali teams. Going into this most people thought China was the most competitive region but I don't know how they're going to stand up to a team that wants to play like this.

By playing better than an ixmike stack?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elyv posted:

I haven't watched dota in a while but randomly decided to watch a bit of the quals just now, when did mid Dazzle become a thing? I remember him exclusively as a 5.

7.20, so half a year ago? Core Dazzle was very common back then but is now more of a niche pick. Poison Touch got made into an actual skill and his ult now gives him a ton of cooldown reduction.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

EU pubstar, played on some T3 teams I think.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Alternatively, don't recalibrate and live a life of peace and harmony.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Naabee

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zurreco posted:

I'm still waiting for Midas to not be in meta so much. Why the hell did Sven have one?

Most carries prefer phase over treads and midas fills the attackspeed gap and lets you farm faster.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Up Circle posted:

This thread is wrong on many things and sometimes you turn a blind eye, but I'm going to go ahead and mark down Visage viability and mason being okay in my spreadsheet.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

OG won ti after being poo poo in the first 2 days of group stage. Literally anything is possible.

It's not worth looking into day 1 performance too much but OG had to play LGD, Liquid and EG for their first 3 group stage games.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Just caught the highlights from last night and

OG the best.

Watch OG vs NiP if you haven't already

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Original_Z posted:

What's with this radiance Kunkka trend? I don't get how that's such a good fit for him all of a sudden.

Pretty much the same reason as for any other tanky str cores. He's a big slab of hp that tends to get kited or ignored after the initial combo, especially since big dick tidebringer builds sort of fell out of favor for more utility.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

why is it easier for me to find bootleg Mexican 2nd division soccer games than to watch this loving tournament

https://eventvods.com/dota/the-international-2019 or the dota 2 youtube channel ya big baby

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Navi have been consistently beating VP in qualifiers and now at TI. Mineski has really impressed me as well.

Yeah, I really hope both teams keep their momentum into the main event.

It's less clear cut in group B, but Keen vs Chaos and NiP vs RNG will most likely decide who goes out in groups.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 16, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any must see game besides the OGxNiP?

Liquid vs LGD was p. cool, EG vs VG game 2 had a silly ending.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Fogged getting real excited to cast a carry io game was very cute :3:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRat posted:

What the heck happened to NIP in the last month or so?

I *think* they got hit real hard with the patch changes. Mids are now either playmakers or farming cores and offlaners are more sacrificial, often giving up farm to 4 positions, which is the polar opposite to how Fata and 33 want to play. Even then, it's a surprisingly poor showing from them.

IcePhoenix posted:

it's just so low energy and I hate it

I feel like any of these guys would be great if they got put with someone else but jesus

They're real chill, Gunnar is very knowledgeable and there's no one shouting into my ear whenever a teamfight happens :colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Incoherence posted:

Chaos now only needs 2 more wins than Liquid (or 3 more than Keen, who play Liquid) over their respective last 2 series to stay alive.

Meanwhile, NiP is on life support.

Their last two matches are against Newbee and Secret so it's not looking good

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Teams should take a tip from Ana and actually try to have an off season. At this point it seems pretty obvious that not playing DotA 24/7 for the whole year is probably good for performance.

Either that or Ana is a God and is just more talented than everyone else is

Seems like taking time off before TI idn't go too well for VP

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Apparently they didn't scrim/practice the carry Io

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

They'll probably just pick whichever team is seeded fourth, which is TNC for Group A, and probably Fnatic for group B (but if EG loses this game Fnatic has the tiebreak over them)

OG has had some bad past experiences with TNC in TI so they might pick Newbee :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

There is a slight chance that one of the groups ends up being much stronger like it did last year because accurate seeding for an event like this is impossible.

Edit: lol 3/4 of the upper bracket is the same as last year

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 18, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

You shouldn't be able to completely feed an enemy team that has no buybacks, then just win the game because your team does. This happens so many times.

:thunk:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zyla posted:

i think the problem if there is one is that it feels like the buyback is way more valuable than another item

Buying an item usually isn't a massive gamble unless it's a Rapier :v:

If you buyback and the enemy team disengages, if you buyback but can't get to the fight quickly enough, if you buyback into a fight and then get picked off afterwards etc.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

As resident dota expert I have literally never heard any of those heroes referred to as bm

Picking bm is bm :colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRat posted:

Do you have a link for it?

Starts around minute 55 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/471150279

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lmao people always call for Bulba's blood whenever EG is doing bad.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Not saying what they should or shouldn't do, just thought they already did it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think esl claimed they did drug testing for csgo players a while ago

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

honestly I feel like this TI feels less satisfying than the last one due to how the new patches keep on adding more and more outlandish abilities without any forethought. I mean carry io is fun but that aghs is not well-balanced at all, and tiny is ridiculously strong at all points in the game due to how they keep on changing everything about him.

Dota's never not been busted as gently caress and it's great

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

notail was not a good carry

Bad enough carry to win 4 pre-dpc majors :v:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Carry Notail did win majors but he never had a Ana or Miracle style performance in his position.

He did, but I can't blame anyone for blocking out radience Naga memories :v:

He pretty much pioneered the sacrificial carry role back in the rtz midlane carry era though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

It's funny how NiP probably got the closest to beating carry wisp and even then OG had most of their outer towers up thanks to Treant

edit: against OG I mean, forgot about Liquid vs Secret lol

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Its Rinaldo posted:

That and the notail ranged creep rune deny was amazing poo poo I never even thought of

That play was the essence of "but wait, there's more!". He dies stalling for the safelane tower, dominates a ranged creep to aggro the creepwave delaying the push, pulls the entire wave to mid for Ana on Alch to farm *and* denies a rune with that creep.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRat posted:

That sounds like the most greedy lineup in the history of dota

You think that's greedier than their current lineup?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

TheRat posted:

Abso-loving-lutely. S4 is not a greedy core at all.

S4 was constantly given good lane matchups and farm back on OG. I feel like he pretty much had to fall into a more sacrificial role because the other roles were fuckin' rtz and Sumail.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zurreco posted:

Big orgs will start making B and C squads.

Didn't Valve add a clause to limit how many squads from a single org can participate at TI?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Vando posted:

If you queue as support half of your inventory should be locked to support items only, make it happen Valve

Midas is a support item :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

So wild how many pos 1 carries are transitioning to offlane

Ramzes started competing as an offlaner and later transitioned into carry so that's a bit less surprising