Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Its gonna end up ogre vs. windrunner, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Red Red Blue posted:

pouring one out for all the europeans that suffer through the hardship of having a tournament be on a bad timezone for them for once

Uhh... we get to watch the actual finals in the morning? Like in my timezone the games start at 5 AM. Like yeah that's early, and during the week its kinda rear end for people going to work, but during the weekend, well, dota starts early.

Like this is the first International where if I want to watch the Grand Finals live, I don't need to stay up until 4 AM - I can just wake up at like 8 AM probably.

edit: what the duck said

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

What the hell just happened in VP vs Infamous, Legion Commander decides to duel when they're the last one alive against five people :wtf:

edit: I guess technically there was a 25% hp lifestealer there as well, but he died immediately after the duel started

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Lol at Topson denying Ana his rampage

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

That was pretty interesting game to watch - OG just knew what their gameplan was and executed it almost perfectly. Didn't matter that Fanatic got a big early lead, the moment Timbersaw stopped being a scary unkillable monster, the tide instantly turned.

That moment fairly early in the game near dire offlane t1 when Topson ran around with like 10 hitpoints and survived easily was a rather amazing highlight, I thought he was dead for sure there but nope, troll bullshit.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Has the "expected winner" won even once?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Casual half your networth in gold, sitting there unused.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

VP seems to have tilted at some point there - the lifestealer just blindly chasing a position 5 shadow demon while his entire team is dying is some classic "pub-carry is angry at everyone and just wants to kill someone"-poo poo.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Secret seemingly just forgot that Mineski still has a giant Alch huh. Not sure what the gently caress MidOne was thinking going in against the Alch at the start of that last big fight.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

That loving ending

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like Secret has no chance of winning TI, but might win this series - especially with Mineski probably completely hosed mentally right now.

and MidOne is probably out of Secret the second TI ends

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Korean esports brand - so, in other words, Korea-doto is back.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

It certainly does seem like Mineski got motivated by last game and Secret's the one that got demotivated by it.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

This is some serious greed on LGD.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

The best bit was absolutely the "oh shadow demon's dead already I can leave him to someone else to finish - wait nobody killed him poo poo".

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Lpzie posted:

the placement of that new hero film is so weird you gotta imagine more hero reveals are gonna come

I'd think there's gonna be some reveal tomorrow as well, but who knows what they'll reveal. Second hero would be the most likely one considering that the last couple of TIs have had double hero reveals, but who knows.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

"budget yawar on venomancer" A+ casting

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I mean it happens every TI that teams are scouting new players and sometimes making deals before the event is even over - and sometimes it results in poo poo like Aui getting kicked a week after winning TI. Probably almost every single team is gonna implode post-TI, again.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Spudd posted:

This always happens near the end, they run out of poo poo to play while the game gets set up

Probably doesn't help that Slacks voice is completely gone, can't have as many segments of Slacks running around the venue and doing impromptu bits with random audience members, pros and other people he just runs into at the event.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

The secret... is out.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Liquid figured out a way to beat Io carry, but nobody has yet figured out a way to stop the Alch - whoever out of the top3 finds a way wins I think.

Best possible ending would be an Alch strat vs. the mythical counter in the last game of the grand finals.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Secret beat Vici Alch TODAY. Tiny was the big counter.

Although to be fair that was the game that Vici picked Razor/Grimstroke so maybe not the best indicator.

Oh, missed that game due to being asleep.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Just wanted to post this clip from yesterdays OG vs LGD game of Topson just deleting Slark

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstemiousDistinctHamDatBoi

Jesus, he just got completely deleted.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

CampingCarl posted:

So for someone who hasn't seen much of the event because of time zones is there a list/sheet of the good games? Are there any must see series before the finals?

There have been an absolute poo poo ton of incredible games this TI. Seems like every day there have been at least two series that are just completely incredible.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I feel a Meepo coming from Liquid

edit: CALLED IT

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

That loving game

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like this TI was basically OG proving to the world that they are the best team in Dota, and even if they all quit Dota forever tomorrow, they would be so for quite some time.

just loving lol at all the idiots going OG winning TI was a fluke last year

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Maybe some teams figure out trying to build a team where everyone trusts and likes each other is more important than just throwing the "best" players in one team.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the gently caress did OG manage to do what they did in Game 2 (and to a lesser extent, Game 3). They made Liquid seem like a group of random pub players. It was loving amazing how OG just never stopped running at Liquid, and they did stuff like the "oh lifestealer tp'd mid to escape a gank, let's all go mid and kill him. no tp on him"-moment. Absolutely bonkers.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

mikeraskol posted:

I wouldn't really overreact to this kind of thing tbh. It's more that all of OG are incredibly good players whose playstyles complement each other extremely well.

I think OG has proven that just throwing the best players on a team isn't enough though - they have incredible synergy, willpower, and their bond is incredibly strong, but mechanically none of them are the absolute best of their role I don't think. I mean they are all world class players individually but most of the top teams at TI also have world class players, some of the poo poo Liquid, Secret and LGD did was absolutely bonkers this TI, but it wasn't enough. If some team wants to create a squad that's on the same level as OG this TI, it requires some real effort to find players that works as well together as OG, and it won't happen by just trying to find the "best" players.

the team might also need some loving powerful motivation like OG had going into TI8

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Taffer posted:

Yeah I think something that stands out is the players people consider the "best" are usually ranked based on purely mechanical skill. Reaction times, good comboing, multitasking in a fight etc. But those same players usually have really small hero pools and very predictable item progressions. There is way, way more to what makes a player good than mechanical skill. How they work in a team, how well they're able to adapt, how broad their hero pool is, how creative they can get to keep the enemy guessing, etc. I feel like even the teams themselves really often overlook the less tangible things when picking players.

I couldn't stand the dumb explanation the panel came up with, "most teams are science but OG is art". It's not "science", it's timidity. LGD has great mechanical skill and exceptional discipline but they had one of the smallest hero pools this TI - they play rigidly and do not experiment and that makes them predictable and counterable despite their exceptional individual skill. OG's lack of timidity (and their trust in each other) let's them really think outside the box and do the "wrong" things that turn out to be exactly right, like diffusal gyro and carry wisp and mid pugna/mk that nobody else is doing. Everyone else is following a collectively agreed upon meta, OG is just building their own.

Wings was pretty much the same if I remember correctly, they just played their own game and styled on everyone else.

God, can you imagine what kind of match a TI9 OG vs TI6 Wings would be like.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

I'm seriously thinking of going to TI next year since it's so close

I'm seriously considering it as well, and if I manage to rope an IRL friend or two to come with me, I'll prolly go.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

The way they used Purge was a bit weird, they had him there but then just had him sit in a corner and give very small amounts of info. Maybe they had a bigger plan for him initially, but it got cut for whatever reason, but too late to really figure out anything else for Purge to do?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Lol at Topson, he just shrugs at it and if I saw correctly, he took a second serving.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I don't think the ppd stuff so far is nearly on the same level as all the other poo poo coming out but I have zero doubts that he would be a pretty poo poo boyfriend just based on his stream persona.

Now to watch as this post gracefully ages

I mean, it was bad enough that PPD's ex wanted to commit suicide so I would argue it is pretty loving bad (checked her twitter and she mentions having been suicidal for a time due to the relationship).

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

TheRat posted:

Yeah I think I remember them both streaming from the same house, him being abusive and she looking really sad/uncomfortable

Bulldog is a physical incarnation of twitch chat, and unsurprisingly that makes him a pretty garbage person.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Demon does not seem to be a very smart man. In fact, I would go as far as to call him a moron.

edit: I never thought he was innocent in this case, but he can't even pretend to be a non-horrible person

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Lycan either needs stupid huge buffs right now or a kit rework. I get why they would want to be careful with big buffs, but they should have at least given him something to compensate for losing Necro, like Beastmaster at least got some axe stuff, meanwhile Lycan didn't really get any buffs, especially as his ult got hit as part of the movement speed nerfs.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

thats not your base alliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

this was 100% a draft loss by hellbear smasher. they forgot am is a hero and didn't ban him in a no stun lineup