Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

“We can’t play for some reason, so let’s poo poo on NA Dota.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Oh poo poo mappo versus the most bog standard draft of the meta

GO LIQUID GO

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taffer posted:

only reason its a meta draft is cuz liquid banned all of the fun wacky stuff og does lol

Kind of hope w33po crushes ‘em because Liquid are probably at a disadvantage for vans and definitely need some weird poo poo for OG to be scared of.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wow they made a worse voice emote than normalin normalin

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ursa being that trash seems like part of the problem with Alch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I looked away and when I looked back I have no idea why they didn’t expect Miracle to show up to that gank in lane

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

You could convince me XBOCT is playing for Ceb Topson sometimes but nonetheless it’s working.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The only reason this is still going is because they threw the last one away so dramatically.

Just gg next

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rabid Snake posted:

I haven't played Dota 2 seriously since basically reborn

man they really let it rip with skins? i obviously recognized Tiny due to skill moves but he looks so different compared to his base skin.

Tony’s rework has him carrying his tree well before he grows into the medium-large rock monster. At the earliest stages the tree is so much bigger than him that it sort of looks like Sven.

Yeah the hats make it worse but even using old skins Tiny looks “weird”.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

If the next game is exactly like the last two, then LGD got robbed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ravus posted:

TL must have known it was coming. They beat it when Secret played it, so they have a clue. But OG is not Secret

They don’t have ET with it though, and ET adds a lot to Wisp’s toolkit.

Tiny and basically anything that farms really fast. If not Meepo, Brood will do.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Topson much less impressive this game

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

You guys put far too much faith in Ana.

OG gave Liquid too much time

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

W33??????

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I feel like what I learned tonight is the game is super loving swingy with gold leads. Game 1 and 4 turned on a dime and one of the LGD games did, too. See everyone next time, barring a global catastrophe happening. But hey at least OG can afford a huge underground shelter if it does.

This is still way, way cooler than if EG had won.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TheRat posted:

Game 4 was literally just a timer waiting for Io aghs + 15. Liquid had to win before that or have such a big lead it didnt matter.

How many times was Io used on the main stage?

It felt like the entire thread was having a different feeling about than I did, but I didn’t watch group stage this year.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I still maintain the best Ti was 6, because nothing seemed as outlandishly broken as several heroes here, but Wings made everything feel completely viable if somewhat situational in their hands.

Now I will finally stay up and see the Flax show for once. [Falls asleep from endless sleepy jazz]

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Carrier posted:

this was funny as gently caress last year now its ridiculous

Wasn’t Notail dead set on playing carry at the time?

I mean there has absolutely been time in this thread’s history that people have ridden his rear end and said he needs to shape up or ship out. Then he goes back to mechanically complicated supports and it’s back to making collages of his face on priceless works of art.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

IcePhoenix posted:

notail was not a good carry

Yeah, wasn’t that why they left?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

IceFrog just retweeted his congrats from last year haha

This accurately reflects the Valve corporate philosophy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Can’t wait until next TI when that goblin grandmother of the year is the hero teams dread to face head-on.

I think people don’t like when grand finals look suspiciously similar to pubs, and so the complaining and reflections to TI4 over these stomps are mostly because OG used low cooldowns that do moderate amounts of damage and denied Liquid the high cooldown moves associated with big plays like ravage and black hole.

We like that poo poo because we can’t actually hear the players talk, so seeing a team hiding smoked in the trees waiting to spring a big move is about the only time the audience is witness to the strategy discussion. OG’s strategy, without the comms, just looks like a bunch of diving and clowny manfighting. Obviously they’re a super talented team and conformed to the winning playstyle, but the vulnerability they found in Icefrog’s design this year was a pretty stupid one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ao did you guys just miss all the “hmmm sure smells like TI4 in here” takes I saw on Reddit, Twitter etc immediately after game 3? The reaction in here was that Liquid wasn’t able to get the big teamfight ults they drafted, because OG wouldn’t give them the room to had a teamfight advantage and a botched one wouldn’t be ready again for a couple minutes.

What I was getting at is that TI is usually defined by some sort of big play: the play 2012, the million dollar dreamcoil, the whatever million dollar echo slam, etc. Someone after TI4 derisively referred to the main event as “the [$] tier one tower push” because there wasn’t a single big highlight teamfight. Part of the problem was the meta of giving big rewards for T1s and the lack of a bounce back for a bad start, but ultimately it was just a team outplaying another team hard by doing everything well. This TI’s meta wasn’t really at all like TI4, the only comparison was one team outplaying another by doing everything well. You could kind of say game 4 had a fifteen million dollar Diffusal Blade, but that was kind of overshadowed by how broken Wisp is.

All I wanted to say was that OG probably worked harder than people comparing to TI4 are giving them credit for, they compare it to TI4 mostly because the see any attempt at a big memorable play is constantly rebuffed by just charging in and murdering the Tidehunter and then running away, which is is effective but unsatisfying.

Not to take anything away from OG. They have all the strategies and make use of them, they didn’t just always play this one game this way and wait for the meta to shift their way. They’ve shown they can do anything.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

IcePhoenix posted:

EE's team is supposedly: EE, Bryle, Moonmeander, Sneyking & Aui2K

This team could get directly invited.

To a minor.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I get that Valve doesn't want to employ anyone because having 19 employees who do whatever the gently caress they want has made them captains of industry. But not even contracting with players and sticking them to their contracts was always going to end up with drama that makes the game look bad if it given enough years to grow out of control. Anyone who has been to a smaller tourney or read enough interviews can sense right away that the scene is a handful of 40-year-old manchildren looking after teenagers (and adults who haven't realized it yet).

There will eventually be howling when they do take action about Valve blacklisting someone "who did nothing wrong" because they didn't break any written rules but are too much of a human trashcan to allow a badge.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 24, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Trying to read the Reddit board, which is quickly getting filled with dimwits who haven't caught on yet that you shouldn't try to mix sex with work and demand proof of rape allegations, is getting goddamn tiring. gently caress the majority of people who play this game (though not you specifically, goon) for being bad humans.

All I know from all this is that my respect for Purge went up tons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Every other sport has figured out how to resume competitions, but apparently Valve can't figure out how to just have TI at a hotel with each team having their own conference room bubble.

But we'll have a cosmetic for level 5,700,000 on the Battle Pass by February.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ILL Machina posted:

Plus, us sports teams don't have to travel internationally.

The money Valve is making on BPs should be enough to host teams for quarantine weeks, but then again the amount of travel headaches a regular TI causes might make that impossible. It's just depressing to see them plan a full year's delay instead of seeing if they could try to pull something together over the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I'm not sure of the issue, but I seem to remember in the old days there was sort of a problem that Valve doesn't participate in the varying esport governing bodies that a lot of it's competitors in the ongoing/seasonal video game tourney business do? You'd always hear of Dota facing difficulties that Blizzard and Riot events. I'm not sure how CSGO has managed to make it work, probably ESL and others just stepping in and taking reigns.

Basically Valve is gaming's most AnCap company, and it's been evident for many years from hats valued at thousands of dollars to the way the company is managed. They don't invest anything in government relations, as though they're passively annoyed that governments exist. Time was once they didn't produce patch notes for the client, because once people got desperate enough to know what was going on CyborgMatt stepped in to do it for free.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 22, 2021