Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I haven't tried it yet but removing the health regen component of soul ring seems like a huge nerf, since it was needed to offset the active ability. Even then, it didn't fully offset it if you were using it every time it came off cooldown.

I play a lot of Techies (I'm not sorry) and this seems like a strong nerf to his early game since he's so mana dependent.

I hope I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I've mostly ignored my Dota inventory for years - like, to the point where I never even really familiarized myself with the inventory UI.

I was poking around it today and I noticed I own several treasures which sell for $25 and $50 on the Steam marketplace. Sweet - I wanna liquidate them and get some steam bux.

I listed one treasure and now want to list another, but the one I want to list next is on cooldown for a week. Is this because I just listed a different one, and this is some safeguard to prevent my inventory from being liquidated if my account is taken over by an attacker?

I have never listed an item on the Steam marketplace before, so it seems pretty reasonable that I might be forced to slow roll things at first - I just want to know what's up.

EDIT: Checking carefully, my other treasures are NOT on cooldown. It's only this one "Treasure of the Cherished Hoard Perfect World" which is on cooldown for a week - and, weirdly, is also listed as "(Not Tradable)". I have no idea why. Is it never going to be tradable and the UI is just confusing? Why is it listed as both not tradable and on trade cooldown for one week?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 2, 2020

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

sugar free jazz posted:

lol third crash for liquid vs 5 men in the same game

They're remaking the game for the fourth time. This is real bad.

EDIT: Nope, they're postponing.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 30, 2020

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Techies is my favorite and the best hero, and this recent Slacks video has given me a few tips I hadn't considered before (like using the mine sign to siege):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ECnnNHtHdk

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What causes the in-game effect that flashes above your head to show everyone in the match number of kills, stuns, or whatever you've gotten with a specific ability?

I thought it was special items (like, from Arcanas), but now I am realizing it may be Relics.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
On a whim today I decided to try watching some games in VR but the VR client refused to load correctly.

Is this just me, or is Dota2 VR unmaintained / dead?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Just finished an absolutely wild game which I think also has some data indicating Dawnbreaker may be in a bad place right now.

See the match on Dotabuff here

The game was an hour and 35 minutes. Dawnbreaker:
- Ended the game with 0 kills
- Did 44.3k damage
- Was genuinely trying, was not awful / throwing / etc.

Compare:
- Every other hero on our team did at least 100k damage, including the pos5
- Every other hero on our team had at least 10 kills

Dawnbreaker was neither a big ol' tank nor a damage dealer. She was just kinda... present. Didn't have the kit to contribute to teamfights. This is a major reason why the game went so long - we mega'd the enemy team early, but couldn't seal the deal because their Dusa came online. Between our Techies (me :) ) and our Dawnbreaker, we did not have enough damage output to clear our way through a Dusa, WK, and Ursa to hit the enemy core. We stalemated, with megas, for a solid 45 minutes or so.

We finally won because I (Techies) stopped attacking with the team so I could mine our base to oblivion. My team wiped on a push (for like the tenth time), the enemy counterpushed into the mines and wiped themselves, then we counter-counter pushed to victory after all that mess.

Dawnbreaker just didn't bring a lot to teamfights. At least Techies gives you a colossal defensive advantage if they have time to set up, DB just didn't offer much in this match.

Of course, it's just one match. I can't say if Dawnbreaker has these problems universally.

EDIT:
Also from dotabuff, Dawnbreaker currently has a 36.99% win rate. Terrible. Now, the hero is brand new so maybe everyone is just playing her badly? Unclear, but not a good sign.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 10, 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
What causes the Dota 2 Client Out Of Date error? Is Valve genuinely updating Dota with micropatches several times per week (sometimes several in one day), or is this caused by something not as straightforward as literal client updates?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

IcePhoenix posted:

hopefully that makes beastmaster "normal" again

also lmao adding a tenth of a second to hoodwink's stun I will never understand changes with an increment that small

They're looking at metrics across millions of players and slowly dialing in to some desired outcome.

Making numbers up, if Hoodwink is at a 48.5% winrate and they want to nudge her toward 50%, they'll give a teeny buff to one ability, watch the metrics for a few days (weeks?), see if the numbers improve, and go from there.

If they just slam an extra full second onto the same stun it would probably overcorrect and swing her wildly to, say, a 52% winrate. If you're trying to carefully dial to 50%, you want to avoid those big fluctuations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Given that pro Dota players are competing for literally tens of millions of dollars in prizes, it is bonkers that there isn't some kind of autosave and resume feature to prevent exactly this sort of situation.

Maybe there used to be one? I think I may recall seeing it done in a pro match years ago, but maybe that's a false memory.

Regardless. There's too much money on the line for this to go down in the way it is right now.