Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s literally photos of cops walking hand in hand with people waking up and down the steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody got beat to death on 1/6

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LibCrusher posted:

Nobody got beat to death on 1/6

Not for lack of trying.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There’s at least one video out there of cops moving barricades aside outside of the building, and a bunch of videos of cops letting insurrectionists take selfies with them

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?
I love the obtuseness of the "what could the widdle ol cops do? It would be suicide!!11!1!1!" while this thread is full of examples of cops going out of their way to brutalize completely innocent people and oppose even the most basic civil liberties.

It's almost like there's some systematic difference between the people who they brutalize and victimize vs those they allow or assist in committing crimes?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Grip it and rip it posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to not get beat to death also - I don't like cops but what exactly is the expectation here for them?

Not loving this?

https://www.businessinsider.com/capitol-building-officers-posed-for-selfies-helped-protesters-2021-1

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just don’t think the Capitol police were united in their goals, some wanted to do their ostensible job of suppressing the public, some wanted to help the maga, others were sympathetic to the maga but still wanted to do the former and got a fire extinguisher to the head as a result.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah there were definitely elements eager to take a dive but obviously most didn’t get the memo. Higher up it’s also not politically expedient to be saying that the people who all your cop buddies identify with lead by their thin blue president are going to come riot. So it seemed like orders to actually do what needed to be done weren’t given until it had already gone insanely far.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Cops are also largely cowards that prefer to outnumber their victims as much as possible. I’m not surprised that being outnumbered to that extent kept even the most bloodthirsty cops from going to town (in the extremely long shot that they’d felt like committing violence against their friends and fellow MAGA heads)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Internet Wizard posted:

Cops are also largely cowards that prefer to outnumber their victims as much as possible.

In contrast to groups that like being outnumbered by as much as possible.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Godholio posted:

In contrast to groups that like being outnumbered by as much as possible.

delta farce

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sporkans

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cops rely upon their ability to freely wield violent force against others more than numbers

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Its wild comparing the Capitol police to the Germans' response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjI2GX3W4s

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Navy SQUIDS

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Aren't cops at super high-security federal sites armed to the absolute teeth for specifically slaughtering crowds of protesters (like miniguns and mk 19s type stuff)?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd be pretty surprised if a "yes" answer was public knowledge.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The only sure way to find out is to model it poorly in a videogame

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

poll plane variant posted:

Aren't cops at super high-security federal sites armed to the absolute teeth for specifically slaughtering crowds of protesters (like miniguns and mk 19s type stuff)?

IDK go find out

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

poll plane variant posted:

The Department of Energy, who has guards and contractor guards at nuclear sites, has a ton of military poo poo like armored Humvees with .50 cals, armed response / counter assault teams with full auto rifles. Anyone trying to attack a nuclear power plant is going to have a very, very bad day. It's not for protesters - it's for guarding critical infrastructure that absolutely cannot be interfered with.

DOE also has teams of guards that travel in convoys guarding nuclear waste or unused fuel. Those guards are almost all ex combat arms military, some from SOF units. There was a posting for that job on USAJOBS.gov - this is all public knowledge.

As for MK19s and miniguns, I don't know. I also don't know about other federal sites.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Lol

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

The Department of Energy, who has guards and contractor guards at nuclear sites, has a ton of military poo poo like armored Humvees with .50 cals, armed response / counter assault teams with full auto rifles. Anyone trying to attack a nuclear power plant is going to have a very, very bad day. It's not for protesters - it's for guarding critical infrastructure that absolutely cannot be interfered with.

DOE also has teams of guards that travel in convoys guarding nuclear waste or unused fuel. Those guards are almost all ex combat arms military, some from SOF units. There was a posting for that job on USAJOBS.gov - this is all public knowledge.

As for MK19s and miniguns, I don't know. I also don't know about other federal sites.

I wanted to make a smug remark about antivaxxers and Jan 6th, but I honestly hope there's something similar in place for BSL-4 labs.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Check out my new game “nuclear centrifuge simulator” which comes out next year a followup smash hit to “Tom Clancy’s Guard Schedule and Roster at ADX Florence”

Also these guys apparently so have grenades launchers but this is like the one case where it’s like “yeah fair enough” since they don’t do regular cop stuff literally just guard nuclear stuff that needs to be guarded and I don’t think I’ve heard heard of them bothering people or playing Navy SEAL in peoples apartments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Protective_Forces?wprov=sfti1

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I knew those guys were some serious hombres but I didn't know they had M134s and MK19s. Christ. Makes perfect sense though.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I think they’re explicitly designed to be able to fight off like anything up to foreign SOF with anything short of like a serious IFV or tank. It mentions they have artillery and mortars too.

Honestly doesn’t seem like a bad gig you get to do all the fun parts of the military and never actually have to deal with people or shoot farmers in a foreign country and just train unless something goes very very very wrong.

I say that then it’s going to come out that some FPF is running a Nazi child loving cult or whatever but yeah.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Anytime something's Wikipedia goes "they are considered an elite fighting force" I think "ah, they really want to feel special and someone wrote their Wikipedia" but maybe that's unfair of me.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Best Friends posted:

Anytime something's Wikipedia goes "they are considered an elite fighting force" I think "ah, they really want to feel special and someone wrote their Wikipedia" but maybe that's unfair of me.

I get that vibe too lol

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
FWIW, the job posting did say that necessary requirements were years in SWAT or military combat arms, with desired qualifications being time in SOF units. So they very well could be full of ex Rangers or MARSOC dudes. The regular DOE contractor security officers / protection guys may just want a certain number of years of LEO or military experience, but certain units in the DOE force protection game really seek out SOF. See below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Secure_Transportation

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 22, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bored As gently caress posted:

FWIW, the job posting did say that necessary requirements were years in SWAT or military combat arms, with desired qualifications being time in SOF units. So they very well could be full of ex Rangers or MARSOC dudes. The regular DOE contractor security officers / protection guys may just want a certain number of years of LEO or military experience, but certain units in the DOE force protection game really seek out SOF. See below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Secure_Transportation

This sounds like the kind of job where it’s 99.999999999999999999% Certified Cool Guy Training and Fun Stories poo poo until they hit that one .00000000000000001% once-in-a-dozen-lifetimes scenario where it’s an actual “oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo” moment.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's exactly right. From what I've read on cop forums, it's a boring as gently caress job where you get a gently caress ton of cool training when you start and also in service training, but they never really do any actual LEO poo poo. Lots of standing around doing nothing, or if they're in a convoy transport unit, driving and staying awake for 24 hrs at a time (supposedly if they're working 36 hrs straight they take turns sleeping in a bunk in the vehicle's back for 8 hrs). Sounds like a cool job to have for a couple of years to get some cool training, and then move on to other federal LEO poo poo.

Apparently the uniformed division of the USSS is boring as gently caress too, unless you're on the counter assault team which is always stationed somewhere close to the POTUS.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Getting back on the ACAB train
https://twitter.com/GrownRoom/status/1451175158673252358

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://whyy.org/articles/family-of-the-8-year-old-shot-fatally-by-sharon-hill-police-call-for-the-officers-firing/

Just to make it clear since the tweet didn't really explain the whole story, there was literally no other shooting. Someone called about hearing shooting in another part of the neighborhood that didn't actually happen and bunch of cops started firing into a crowd.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm very curious about the training the police would give the ARNG during “40 hours of traditional police training in the use of deadly force.”

https://thefederalist.com/2021/10/21/abbott-deploys-armed-national-guard-to-border-to-arrest-illegal-aliens-for-trespassing/

The Federalist posted:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave the green light for thousands of specially trained National Guard troops to go to the Southern U.S. border and begin making arrests of illegal aliens who are trespassing in the state.

In a new deterrence approach to combatting the lasting effects of Biden’s border crisis, Abbott is using Operation Lone Star to grant Guard members new authority to make civilian arrests of illegal migrants beginning this week following at least “40 hours of traditional police training in the use of deadly force.”

Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw confirmed to Todd Bensman of the Center for Immigration Studies that approximately 3,000 of these specially trained National Guard members are scheduled to go to the border over the next six weeks.

“Nobody’s ever really used the guard before in this capacity,” McCraw said. “We’re going to use them to actually secure the border. The governor, the legislature, and the citizens of Texas have made it very clear; they want the border secure. It is good for our federal partner as well. The federal government should be thanking the state of Texas, and it’ll make the rest of the country safer as we increase the level of security.”

The newly-armed Guard will primarily work with the Texas Department of Public Safety officers in overwhelmed areas such as Del Rio, Texas, to arrest, handcuff, and charge individual male illegal aliens who are traversing private ranchland to get into the United States.

“[Ranchland] owners have all entered into state agreements to become complainants in misdemeanor-level criminal trespassing cases that DPS officers will charge (and have been charging since July),” Bensman reported. “The so-called single male ‘runners’ run because they are still subject to federal instant expulsion policy to control the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Women, unaccompanied children, and family groups will not be arrested by the state.

Since the beginning of the fiscal year in October 2020, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol has encountered more than 1.5 million illegal aliens at the Southwest land border, according to official CBP data, including more than 200,000 migrant encounters in both July and August. The Washington Post reported yesterday that according to unpublished CBP data obtained by the outlet, border arrests hit an all-time high as “U.S. authorities detained more than 1.7 million migrants along the Mexico border.”

Abbott signaled earlier this month that the Texas National Guard was “gearing up” to handle the increasing number of illegal aliens making their way across the border using caravans.

“Texas National Guard is gearing up at the border for increased caravans attempting to cross the border caused by Biden’s open border policy,” Abbott tweeted. “They are working with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety to seal surge locations at the border & arrest trespassers.”

Biden should do what Eisenhower did and Federalize the Texas National Guard. That would take the Texas Governor out of the chain of command.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Lmao yea I saw that line and was like, welp, that's extremely worrying :smith:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2022

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Police doctrine usually explicitly rejects “minimum force” as a standard, which was at least the standard every time we did SRF and VBSS training in the navy, so I’m not sure how exactly that would work since what’s legal for civilian cops is easily ucmj territory.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Police doctrine usually explicitly rejects “minimum force” as a standard, which was at least the standard every time we did SRF and VBSS training in the navy, so I’m not sure how exactly that would work since what’s legal for civilian cops is easily ucmj territory.

Shades of the coup in Bolivia giving soldiers immunity for the crimes they commit?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

What kind of legal precedent is there for NG forces being used to arrest people on criminal trespass charges

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Internet Wizard posted:

What kind of legal precedent is there for NG forces being used to arrest people on criminal trespass charges

"Arrest" might be the wrong word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Internet Wizard posted:

That's been my question. Since these guys are not on Title 10 Federal orders it falls under the state's jurisdiction, but it was always my understanding that posse commitatus still applied to the NG. I admit to not being an expert on military law, so I could be wrong.

Everything I've seen so far with Guard on the border has been sure to emphasis "assisting" law enforcement as opposed to performing law enforcement duties.