Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Posse Comitatus does not apply to NG on State orders. And they can be tasked with law enforcement activity. The response to Hurricane Katrina was an example of this occuring, when NG/MPs were basically patrolling and taking calls for service in parts of New Orleans.

Army Support During Hurricane Katrina posted:

Although the Posse Comitatus Act greatly limits the degree
of support Active component forces can provide during civil support operations, National Guard troops on state active duty or Title 32 status
are able to participate in law enforcement activities. ...
Both National Guard and Active component forces provided valuable
support to law enforcement officials. ... National Guard soldiers conducted a variety of law enforcement missions, ranging from manning security posts to patrolling the streets along with police officers. In one parish, National Guard soldiers were actually deputized, and in another parish, they took over security duties at the local shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Just fist bumpin my buds

https://twitter.com/ChristineTX34/status/1452095437129781252?s=20

Did some googling and from what I can see the first bump is not taken out of context or anything.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1453473979725930497?t=5WUtK8ieQyyH_FpJbKoC_w&s=19

How do you reform this?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 18, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
But they did tase it!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kind of a difficult issue. I think reform is necessary, but it has to be peaceful. Lately, it feels like it’s getting worse somehow, as if more bad poo poo is happening. Like, what can a citizen even do?

Cops don’t just behave like invading soldiers, they’re even more sadistic. Or do american soldiers behave like this as well? Police officers really do treat the people they’re supposed to protect like filth. Shameful.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

please knock Mom! posted:

Or do american soldiers behave like this as well?

If I'd behaved like cop when I was in Iraq I'd have been court martialed and doing hard time in Leavenworth.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

please knock Mom! posted:

Cops don’t just behave like invading soldiers, they’re even more sadistic. Or do american soldiers behave like this as well?

It’s tricky. A lot of individual soldiers could never behave like cops do, yanking people off streets, holding without charges, etc, the way cops can.

otoh, we have enough of a grasp of the stats to know that the US military invading your city is far more dangerous to you in the sense of death than cops.

So where cops can get away with a hell of a lot of day to day harassment, assault, bullshit, shootings, etc, sometimes soldiers cannot. But a military targeteer fed by some lazy or carelessly malicious intel will have your whole house bombed while your children sleep instead and then swear it was valid and your children are terrorists unless there is ample western news coverage of the incident.

And when soldiers overstep bounds, the military has to have them on drat near a silver platter to conduct a court martial instead of some form of administrative action or coverup. The fear of punishment is good, but the reality is that it took some exceptionally high profile cases to land people in courts martial, like Abu Ghraib, murders/rapes with obvious coverups, the infamous kill team, etc.

Your average military member who beat the poo poo out of an Iraqi or Afghan civilian for no good reason? Probably wasn’t ever reported or if they were, handled pretty quietly in house or through a basic dereliction or art 92 NJP. Hell, not one officer was criminally charged in Abu Ghraib. Plus, multiple DOD war criminals have been issued presidential pardons.

It is good that so many members of the DOD believe, often incorrectly, that they are under a microscope regarding mistreatment or wrongful killing of civilians. But when you look at how many people have been detained, shot, blown up, beaten, etc vs war crime trials, it’s impossible to honestly chalk up the delta entirely to honest collateral damage or justified violence.

Police are different in that 1: not a war zone and 2: that day to day gently caress with you ability. Even if a cop isn’t loving with someone that moment, a person may remember for years and years “there’s officer Smith again, the fucker who beat my rear end for no reason,” whereas troops rotate or leave entirely.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't believe I'm saying this since I know troops, but I think the average moral compass and belief in something greater than yourself in the force is exponentially higher than your average cop, too.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
There's also something to be said about the difference in hero worship culture around cops and military personnel. For cops, they crank their own hogs about how awesome they are way, way more than I've ever seen any veteran (who is not a Navy SEAL) do. For veterans all it's all coming from external sources, and for cops it seems like it all started and is perpetuated through police unions and their culture for them to demand being thanked for doing their job, which is not very dangerous except for the trouble they cause themselves.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

maffew buildings posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this since I know troops, but I think the average moral compass and belief in something greater than yourself in the force is exponentially higher than your average cop, too.

This particular part really made sense to me, once I thought about it. I don't know if it's a training issue or a culture issue, but it feels like too many cops really believe in the thin blue line poo poo. They are the last barricade between civilization and anarchy (read: petty crime, mostly), and that whatever they say or do should be the end of it. It feels like too many cops are ropleplaying Judge Dredd.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/monkeyes2/status/1455261723099860997?s=21

All Cops Are Being vaccinated anyway despite the protests

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Not to favorably compare troops to cops too much since there’s still lots of issues but one thing that’s made cops worse is the legal precedent and police culture concept that officers should never be obligated to take any physical risk even if it means putting a random member of the public in great danger or killing civilians. In the military you can’t get a pass to violate ROE’s just because you’re scared.

Somehow civilians are still fully legally responsible for their actions if they’re scared though, which is insane. The army officer who got tazed and beaten for pulling into a gas station was charged until public outrage kicked him despite the fact he wasn’t following their instructions because he very reasonably believed that if he undid his seatbelt they would panic and shoot him. After they were screaming death threats at him.

But that’s okay, since it’s okay for them to be scared. Until the public saw the video anyway.

Philandro Castile is the best example of how that plays out in court.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 1, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

An exponent of a negative number is even more negative. I think cops are exponential(as long as your exponent is an odd number) as well. They just start at -20 and go further down from there.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 1, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

-1^2 is positive one because the two negatives cancel out. You have to raise to an odd to keep the negative.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

If I'd behaved like cop when I was in Iraq I'd have been court martialed and doing hard time in Leavenworth.

Yeah that's what I thought.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Stravag posted:

-1^2 is positive one because the two negatives cancel out. You have to raise to an odd to keep the negative.

Huh, my calculator was being dumb. You're right.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Quote != Edit

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

As an MP (I know) we would have reservists who were cops do some time with us for sometimes extended stretches. Even we thought they were hella stupid. Even the people who dreamt of being civilian law enforcement after they got out were like "I'll never be that dumb!" then like, they were. (except me I quit)

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Oh man, perfect time for a theory I have had for awhile now. Buckle in for some arm chair psychology!

So I remember learning that sociopaths basically don't see other human beings as human beings, more like things to be used and then thrown away when they are done with them. One of the reasons you see sociopaths in the Catholic Church is that it is a relatively easy position of power and respect within a community for them to be shitheads. I remember somebody (it might have been here on SA, I don't remember) was saying that soldiers are sociopaths and it got me thinking. Now I am NOT saying that there are no sociopaths in the military, on the contrary I know there are I am pretty sure I served with a few. But how would it compare to police? Using the reasoning from the Catholic Church, which is easier for a sociopath? The military actually asks quite a bit from someone, you leave your community typically, everything is fairly regulated and mandated as we all know. Think formations, grooming standards, clothing regulations, the list goes loving on. To actually get to a point where you can start being a shithead to those under you you have to get promoted which takes time. And then you might get orders for somewhere else and have to start over.

But police? You can stay in your community and be a shithead to everyone and every person type you already know. Just putting on the uniform gives you the power trip. Plus you can build upon other sociopaths, the "old guard" are a bunch of shitheads? Join the club and add to it! The standards are much less and the line between citizen cop and military soldier is getting blurred anyway so cosplay Chris Kyle to your hearts content. People not worshipping the ground you walk on? Make 'em pay for it! What I am getting at is I think it is an easier path for a sociopath to get his kicks in the police than the military.

A coked up Sigmund Freud would be proud of this post.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

TO THE POSTER THAT DARES
TO DEBATE THIS WARM GALE
BEWARE OF FOUL WEATHER
TOWARD MADNESS, SET SAIL

Toshokan posted:

So that means that anyone who would use…a folding stock on an AK, piston AR, or any other gun…is a Nazi?

Wrong Theory posted:

Oh man, perfect time for a theory I have had for awhile now. Buckle in for some arm chair psychology!

So I remember learning that sociopaths basically don't see other human beings as human beings, more like things to be used and then thrown away when they are done with them. One of the reasons you see sociopaths in the Catholic Church is that it is a relatively easy position of power and respect within a community for them to be shitheads. I remember somebody (it might have been here on SA, I don't remember) was saying that soldiers are sociopaths and it got me thinking. Now I am NOT saying that there are no sociopaths in the military, on the contrary I know there are I am pretty sure I served with a few. But how would it compare to police? Using the reasoning from the Catholic Church, which is easier for a sociopath? The military actually asks quite a bit from someone, you leave your community typically, everything is fairly regulated and mandated as we all know. Think formations, grooming standards, clothing regulations, the list goes loving on. To actually get to a point where you can start being a shithead to those under you you have to get promoted which takes time. And then you might get orders for somewhere else and have to start over.

But police? You can stay in your community and be a shithead to everyone and every person type you already know. Just putting on the uniform gives you the power trip. Plus you can build upon other sociopaths, the "old guard" are a bunch of shitheads? Join the club and add to it! The standards are much less and the line between citizen cop and military soldier is getting blurred anyway so cosplay Chris Kyle to your hearts content. People not worshipping the ground you walk on? Make 'em pay for it! What I am getting at is I think it is an easier path for a sociopath to get his kicks in the police than the military.

A coked up Sigmund Freud would be proud of this post.

Eh, it really depends on what their goal is.

There's some disagreement in the research community, especially whether there is a real difference between antisocial personality disorder (which is an actual DSM 5 diagnosis) vs psychopathy (and related terminology like sociopathy) or if they are the same construct and just different nomenclature. Robert Hare is a Canadian psychologist who is one of the best known researchers in this area (and the creator of the eponymous Psychopath Test from Jon Ronson's book) and asserts that that are different disorders, with sociopaths being much more likely to be incarcerated than those diagnosed with just ASPD.

There is a relatively more recent controversy over what some people call "functional psychopaths." These are people with the fame manipulative and deceptive tendencies but who are able to sublimate their darker urges enough to generally function in society and even thrive, though they tend to seek out jobs where they can profit through manipulation and taking advantage of others while receiving fame and glory. Hare has a book about them called "Snakes in Suits" and developed a measure to assess for them but I'm not familiar with the psychometrics.

All this is to say that, yes, there are probably some of these people who join law enforcement as the path of least resistance to get power over others and exercise their sadism in a way where they not only won't get in trouble but will actually be rewarded for it. That said, the base rate of this is probably very very low and the problems and crimes caused by are generally mostly due to larger group dynamics and social psychology than any personality disorders.

Now, if one of these people had the goal of being able to straight up kill people and not get prosecuted for it, that's how you get Eddie Gallagher and others who are basically functional serial killers.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
If cops had to operate under the same escalation of force rules that we had, they'd collectively poo poo themselves.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
In the military it's more of a "I got beaten as a child, so when it's my turn I will beat my child" cycle of abuse when someone gets into a position of authority.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Speaking of police and military, TAL this week is a series of discussions with a man who was held without charges by the US military, tortured, and ultimately released. He’s on the phone with a few of his captors more recently, as a free man living in Mayritania. Not the easiest listen.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/752/transcript

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
tbh the main difference is probably just that the average soldier expects there to be repercussions for abuses, while cops expect absolute immunity from any sort of accountability.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Also I have no positive thoughts on cops, but it's worth noting that cops don't have machine guns in condition one pointed at people whenever they roll around, and they can't call in artillery or air strikes. Even with a more restrictive ROE and far better people on average (imo), the military is still a split second from killing a lot of locals. And an occupation is a large number of split seconds. I'd rather have the worst cops patrolling my neighborhood than the nicest army unit rolling around Iraq style.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

I think this overestimates individual psychology. Police (and military special forces) do typically actually screen for psychopaths with actually valid and reliable tools. It’s just that an organization can easily make normal people behave like psychopaths, or much worse.

You really only have to look at history, nations and militaries will collectively do absolutely atrocious things that most of the individuals within were initially sickened by but decided it was good actually because everyone else is saying that too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
As an example, this is a case where you didn’t have one random troop getting angry and committing a crime, but the bureaucracy of the military can do some pretty awful things with an unsatisfying level of accountability, from the perspective of civilian victims.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1455969128280469510?s=21

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Or the collateral murder. The whole thing had been written off with and forgotten until wikileaks, and even after that it didn't actually lead to serious consequences.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Or the collateral murder. The whole thing had been written off with and forgotten until wikileaks, and even after that it didn't actually lead to serious consequences.

Probably because it wasn't unusual, just happened to be caught on tape. The military does an extraordinary job of protecting any individual from responsibility in a cloak of beaurocratic process, and even if an actual average troop on the ground has more restraint than the average cop our military is way more dangerous to have in your neighborhood.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
More creative headline writing.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/source-cpd-officer-hit-in-chest-after-gun-discharges-during-argument-with-wife/2668909/?amp

“Source: CPD Officer Hit in Chest After Gun Discharges During Argument With Wife”

Translation: In struggle, officer shoots husband, who is also an officer, in the chest.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Which one was the hero that just wanted to make sure they were going home after their shift though?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

More creative headline writing.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/source-cpd-officer-hit-in-chest-after-gun-discharges-during-argument-with-wife/2668909/?amp

“Source: CPD Officer Hit in Chest After Gun Discharges During Argument With Wife”

Translation: In struggle, officer shoots husband, who is also an officer, in the chest.

I'm surprised they didn't say the bullet loving appeared mistakenly in his chest cavity

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm surprised they didn't say the bullet loving appeared mistakenly in his chest cavity

You're not thinking like a cop.

"While two CPD officers were discussing an ongoing case, one of them was shot and and struck by a bullet from a passerby without provocation. CPD detained and questioned 19 subjects, and plan to pursue charges against 3."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cops... think?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wow, tragic

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://twitter.com/scotthech/status/1460103445067800576?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Old but very lol from the back the blue crowd.

26 Republicans vote to block awards for Capitol Police on Jan 6.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics/congressional-gold-medal-house-vote/index.html