Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What's the thoughts on federal police force models? I don't mean the mix that exists in the US, but those models in other countries, like Police Nationale/Gendarmerie of France, the National Police Agency of Japan? Are there solutions there?

It's a scary thought because any model would likely put more power in the hands of the executive branch of the federal government and never be agreed upon by congress anyway, but when I think about how to change something in the culture of the police force, I think about how difficult it would be compared to getting something at least weakly done by changing the curriculum at 29 Palms or Fort Benning than trying to hope city governments change the position of 17,000 different agencies with less authority and disparate training. I think about how hosed you'd be in the Navy for falsifying documents about keeping a tube of silicone coating out overnight, and how I spent two hours on training because some guy on a different class of ship blew out a Main Reduction Gear, and how even though I hated that training and having to do it, I'm never going to run an MRG without oil.

I also think about when I get told to do a Preliminary Investigation, it's on someone I probably met a year ago since I move every 2-3 years, but at a police station, it's either be on someone you knew for 10 years, it's on a new guy, or it's by a new guy on a senior. That seems more difficult.

Could there be a force, man trained and equipped Federally but operational authority held locally? Does the Coast Guard have the same problems as American police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Doesn't the FBI/US Marshalls/Secret Service cover what a federal police force would do? Or do you want federal police on patrol in addition to the regular police, as a check/balance?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Federally funded and trained and monitored police on patrol INSTEAD of local cops subject to local (lack of) funding and local (lack of) oversight, probably.

Also the Coast Guard doesn't have the same problem because they don't operate with the mindset of being an occupying force on American soil

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oversight is a huge problem, we just do not have a mechanism for it at all.

Here's a good thread on changes that could be made, but would require voting out the very people who've spent decades protecting law enforcement.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1266053291684827138?s=20

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, my great wish for years has been for a completely independent federal oversight org for police that takes on all investigations that internal affairs currently would.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant, so let's prevent even the temptation for corruption by taking it out of their hands.

Edit: Two completely unsurprising updates:

https://kstp.com/news/george-floyd-fired-officer-overlapped-security-shifts-at-south-minneapolis-club-may-28-2020/5743990/

quote:

A former club owner in south Minneapolis says the now-fired police officer and the black man who died in his custody this week both worked security for her club up to the end of last year.

George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin both worked security at the El Nuevo Rodeo club on Lake Street, according to Maya Santamaria. Santamaria owned the building for nearly two decades, but sold the venue within the last few months.

"Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside."

5 INVESTIGATES has reached out to Chauvin's attorney and the Minneapolis Police Department, but they could not be reached for comment at the time this story was published.

https://twitter.com/GypsyEyedBeauty/status/1266162964727562240

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 29, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just end qualified immunity.

Seriously, regulation is always weak and easy to get around. Lawsuits are not.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Internet Wizard posted:

Federally funded and trained and monitored police on patrol INSTEAD of local cops subject to local (lack of) funding and local (lack of) oversight, probably.

Also the Coast Guard doesn't have the same problem because they don't operate with the mindset of being an occupying force on American soil

The CG tells you straight to your face, gently caress up and we will feed you to the wolves. We have the same type of gung ho mother fuckers the police get they just know they will get crucified if they get caught abusing their power. That and we dont really do revenue generation.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Doesn't the FBI/US Marshalls/Secret Service cover what a federal police force would do? Or do you want federal police on patrol in addition to the regular police, as a check/balance?

federal oversight with federal training standards that state police academies must follow. Additionally, the responsibility for police misconduct needs to fall on the governor. Right now responsibility is all localized with multiple layers of responsibility insulating the governor from misconduct in his state and its loving bullshit.

Also a family friend is a lawyer for a city and the hurdles they have to jump through to fire a cop are loving insane.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 30, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Just end qualified immunity.

Seriously, regulation is always weak and easy to get around. Lawsuits are not.

qualified immunity from the federal government without any federal oversight or standards is so god drat stupid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe the loving cops can learn to live under always changing oppressive rules and I'll gather some loving sympathy.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PookBear posted:

qualified immunity from the federal government without any federal oversight or standards is so god drat stupid.

Or yeah make it conditional on following federal training standards and transparency.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Or yeah make it conditional on following federal training standards and transparency.

This is a really good idea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/chieffymac11/status/1266884475268616197?s=21

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Looks like they misunderstood the post-Charlottesville training. gently caress those guys.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cops kill and maim innocents.
People riot because cops kill and maim innocents.
Cops are assigned to 'maintain order', against people who are angry because cops kill and maim innocents
Return to step 1.

My mother the other day, in the same breath, commented on how sad the current state of events is and how if those darn black people would just stop committing crimes, this wouldn't happen anymore. There is no hope for this country.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

To quote the man himself on how I feel with people like my mother:

MLK posted:

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/ruinthesteele/status/1266459389390659590

I wonder if we can get them to wear their I Can Breathe shirts on their way to the ventilators.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

https://twitter.com/ruinthesteele/status/1266459389390659590

I wonder if we can get them to wear their I Can Breathe shirts on their way to the ventilators.

those sidewalks were probably coated with covid from the night before.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
A good cop story.
Tuesday the courthouse had just reopened and the sheriff's department was stretched thinner than usual, having been tasked with crowd control, check-ins and COVID-19 screening.
Over lunch a family had tried to tell a relative who was living in an abandoned trailer on their land to move, after several previous incidents. He's an aggressive, angry and unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic. When screaming and yelling didn't work, he threatened his relatives with a hunting knife he had dummy-corded around his neck, and they called 911. A deputy headed out, saw it was more than a one- person job and called for another deputy, and the sheriff headed over. After getting the family members who were all screaming at each other separated and settled down, the sheriff got the facts of what had happened. He then tells the guy with the knife that he had to arrest him for threatening his brother with a knife. Although the knife had been hanging around his neck, guy grabs the knife and starts coming toward the sheriff, threatening him with the knife. Sheriff pulls his pistol and a standoff ensues, with guy screaming and not letting go of the knife and sheriff calmly talking, calling him by name, trying to calm him down. The deputy's tazer is broken, sheriff gave his to a different deputy on patrol, so sheriff checks to see if his undersheriff has one. He does, and comes over and shoots the guy with his tazer. Sheriff cuts the knife's dummy cord, cuffs the guy, takes him to the hospital to take out the tazer probes and then to jail. Sheriff recommends assault with a dangerous weapon (not the harsher crime of assault with a deadly) for threatening his brother. However, he does not recommend charging him with assault on a cop or assault on a cop with a dangerous weapon, just misdemeanor resisting arrest.

This is just one story. He's the best LEO I've worked with for going on 25 years. He's also facing a contested election, with a 'D' after his name, in Trump country.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:freep:

https://twitter.com/anon_burger/status/1266877332184338437

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Y'all

https://twitter.com/h7bicore/status/1266802996102467588?s=19

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao I know that corner. It’s on the way back to the freeway from Sentara

Also white cop needs to take some boxing lessons poo poo was weak.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 31, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Don't post CHUD accounts in here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/michaeladams317/status/1266945268567678976?s=21

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You know you good cops could help by breaking ranks and keeping us safe from other police these days.

They're not stopping this poo poo already. You knew that though.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/h7bicore/status/1266915974210621440?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtpz-doVp8

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OAF nation insta is surprisingly anti-boot licking despite the name and they’ve been exacting cop and chud tears all day.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Montana’s finest and clearly one of the good ones, Ryan Turner

Edit: It seems so many chuds cried and mashed the report button that the post was taken down. Weird that saying Nazis are terrorists is offensive to them.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 1, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

They trampled a person in Houston. If they're willing to take lethal actions, why should they be given any consideration?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wasabi the J posted:

You know you good cops could help by breaking ranks and keeping us safe from other police these days.

They're not stopping this poo poo already. You knew that though.

If you've got 1000 good cops and 10 bad ones, and the good ones don't act against the bad ones, you have 1010 bad cops.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Saw vid of boston cops smashing their own suv tonight. 6or so cops pulling security while two walked around breaking the lights and windows to make it look like protestors had attacked it. When they noticed they were being filmed the baton strikes stopped and they did the oh poo poo i got caught aimless walk away from it

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Stravag posted:

Saw vid of boston cops smashing their own suv tonight. 6or so cops pulling security while two walked around breaking the lights and windows to make it look like protestors had attacked it. When they noticed they were being filmed the baton strikes stopped and they did the oh poo poo i got caught aimless walk away from it

I watched the same thing- looked more like they were trying to get the busted windshield cleared to prolly drive it away and keep it from get torched if they left it but IDK.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Liquid Communism posted:

If you've got 1000 good cops and 10 bad ones, and the good ones don't act against the bad ones, you have 1010 bad cops.

40% of cops admit to committing domestic violence and continue to be cops, making that other 60% be people okay with protecting the careers of domestic abusers

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Stravag posted:

Don't be a snitch, they just want a new car

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtectAndServe/comments/gulhut/rioter_shoots_at_the_military_with_predictable/

If you’re wondering what the cops think of that BBQ owner they murdered.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I wouldn't think many cops have time to frequent their favorite reddit board right now.

Though at this point their action is representative enough.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 2, 2020

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I really, really kinda wish Cmdr Shepard still posted here just so I could watch him seethe at all these goddamn vermin having the gall to challenge authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Doublepost