Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Shooting Blanks posted:

Serious question: what purpose do motorcycle cops serve?

Writing tickets. Seriously, expressly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can appreciate the idea of inescapable complicity when participating in a corrupt institution, but do we really think these institutions would be better off without Smiling Jack and others?

Or more broadly, that reform isn't an answer?

Haven't many police departments improved in the last few decades, just not as quickly as our morals have progressed?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think the answer is to make policing even more of a race to the bottom with regards to applicants.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nah, screw that guy, fire him and charge him. Even if the professional opinion of the other cops is that the DA won't pick up the case, fire him and charge him, and let it be on the DA when they drop it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

quote:

While I agree he should be fired, it wont just be ok the DA if the case is dropped or he gets off on the charges. If he has a union that's how you end up with the city paying out in a lawsuit for an improper firing.

Ok, I hadn't thought of that, which is always the danger of dropping hot takes in some subject you're not an expert on, so let me say this instead: that guy needs some kind of stink to follow him to keep him from making a lateral transfer.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

colachute posted:

I apologize for demanding cops don’t commit unjustifiable murder. It is unreasonable of me.

It's not unreasonable until you say "it literally can't even happen, ever. Not ever." Because, like, that's never going to achievable, not ever. Not even if you had hyper competent and benevolent robot-cops or something. I mean, to use an analogy, people die in the hospital for no better reason than that they get a resistant infection; that's also never going to be reduced to zero.

I don't think it's police apologism to point out the actual impossibility of reducing it to literally zero and insisting on it isn't going to get us anywhere.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we should shrug off police murder as "poo poo happens"; and adopting a stance that no unjustified killings are acceptable makes total sense to me. The reading I had, and which I can discard if it was inaccurate, was something more like "If a single person dies unjustifiably out of millions and millions of police interactions, then we have to burn down the entire concept of police".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd rather have body cameras and then deal with the problem of cops circumventing them than go back to before.

I hear many people, including the police themselves, say that there's a real problem with them being the place the buck stops with regard to a lot of neglected social problems, like homelessness and mental illnesses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

shame on an IGA posted:

Oo I remember hearing about this first on NPR, pro-listen right here:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/414/right-to-remain-silent

Yeah, I remember that too, iirc his supervisor or whatever comes to his house, can't get him to voluntarily leave the house with them, and declares him "edp" and arrests him. It's all on tape, I wonder what ever happened to that supervisor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty sure none of those crimes are punishable by the death penalty, with the exception of that bar shooting, but since the guy is dead we'll never know what the story was.

It's more important that the man taking pot shots in the bar is stopped immediately, even with lethal force, than that we hear his side of the story.

Edit: Also "Death Penalty" isn't the same thing as a cop shooting someone. Seriously, where are you going with that?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 24, 2019

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not pro-death penalty and I'm not comfortable with using a potential sentence to an alleged crime as total or partial justification of a shooting, which is what originally stuck out to me about the original post.

I do think police officers are often too quick to use force, including deadly force, and that this force is more often wrongly used against minorities.

However, I don't think that there are never situations in which force, including lethal force, is justified to control or stop someone. And frankly, I'm suspicious of someone's motives if their response to that bar shooting video is "we need more facts before we can make a judgement on that one". That smells like the same BS Police Departments are rightly called out on.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That sentiment makes a lot more sense to me, yeah.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The term "continues to serve" raising my eyebrow shows me how much my own personal overton window is moving regarding cops, I wouldn't have batted an eye at that phrase being used 10 years ago.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like how that got got dunked on by McDonalds; they sounded pretty sure of their video. Get surveillance stated, I guess.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm not eager to watch that video, but was it only a plainsclothes cop that tried to stop him? Most places don't let non-uniformed cops pull people over for exactly that reason, ffs.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are there any anecdotes about deployed national guard troops being varying degrees of uncooperative with police?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You see, in the totality of the circumstances, gimme dem gams.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, training and policy is not the same as practice; poo poo's hosed. It's a big reason why radical reform is necessary, the incrementalism has been proven false by like 30 years of increasing "professionalism"; it doesn't loving work.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think a lot of people think of the dogs "ability" to smell things like drugs or bombs. Execpt it turns out the dog knows it can just bark for drugs even if there aren't any and still be a good boy (because the cop wants the false positive). Get the dogs out there, its hosed up to make a dog a tool of oppressive violence when they're really just trying to, you know, be good boys. And I'm saying in a cutesy dumb way but I'm serious, the dog doesn't have an understanding of policing and state violence and it's hosed up to make them do this, even of they like it it's wrong to encourage it because dogs, like, by definition, don't have restraint.

Oof I didn't know I had such strong feelings about dogs being agents of state violence.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To give him credit where it's due, our trainer said this was the best he'd response ever seen to someone trying to fight a cop: the cop grabbed him from behind but then said, very softly, "hey, hey you're scaring me". Guy relaxed, apologized, and they arrested him.

So, the ideal was there, at least in training, by the cop that cared enough about this stuff to teach the class. That's not how it really works for most cops in the real world, abolish the police etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You get gene hackman to kick their rear end, mostly.

Edit: USA big, Sidney Poitier can help too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No see, you'll notice that the policemen in the story can't hear, and are not bothered by, the tell tale heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree that it's demoralizing, it seems like there's always more and it's always worse. I just try to tell myself that, no, it was always like this, we're just now more aware and less accepting now.