Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ing/1698540001/

Presented without comment because any honest comment I'd make on this would probably end up with me banned.

gently caress, the "disability" he's getting his pension for is the "mental issues" he got from straight up murdering a man.

gently caress.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chichevache posted:

I think it is bullshit that he's getting disability, but I didn't see anything in the article stating that his claim was based on mental anguish from the shooting. I think it just says they reasons for the medical retirement are not being released to the press.

Well, let me fix that, then.

"the "disability" he's getting his pension for is probably the "mental issues" he got from straight up murdering a man, which would be one reason why it's not being released to the press."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Which I understand, and is why I said "one reason why" rather than "the reason why"

Because, let's not kid ourselves, if the ADA didn't exist, the dept still wouldn't release the info

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sorry, officer, I'm not speaking to you without a lawyer present

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unfortunately.

I'd like to apologize for my bullshit in the CE thread, by the way; I shouldn't have engaged in copchat then because I was fresh off dealing with the local cops assaulting a college student (they didn't sexually assault her, thankfully, but it was still an uncalled for violent assault on someone for simply trying to film, and the victim didn't and doesn't want it made into a big internet push for justice).

My emotions were running high and my conduct was uncalled for.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You shouldn't apologize. One side doesn't want people to be summarily executed for the suspicion of a misdemeanor, the other is fine with that.

I'm not apologizing for my anger, I'm apologizing for my antagonism.

Being mad? gently caress yeah that's justified. But posting the "good shoot" poo poo was just me lashing out.

I still don't believe there's any way to "reform" an inherently corrupt and oppressive system born of strikebreakers and slave patrols, and I still won't feel bad at an officer dying when they kill over 1000 people every year, but gleefully celebrating it in the CE thread is something different and was out of line.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hell just disarm cops

the working class must be armed by any means necessary, after all, and as we all know cops aren't working class, they're class traitors serving bourgeois interests

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it actually makes quite a bit of sense if "working class" people live in areas where cops have a long response time if they're even going to show up in a way to where someone would call them in the first place

for most people a gun is better than a cop

Edit: that was literally the county sheriff's recommendation to my mother when she moved out of town: "yeah response time is like 45 minutes, so just buy a gun"

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 12, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tryzzub posted:

nypd starts at 42.5, but you get a mulligan if you shoot someone in a stairwell

mulligan? more like a bonus, medal, and nice paid vacation

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol at the idea of that cop actually feeling bad about what he did.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All cops are that SBA account.

All of them.

gently caress cops.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 25, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chichevache posted:

gently caress, dude. I thought when we try to keep abusive husbands from beating their wives we were doing some good for society.

Taking your friends out camping for a weekend to get them out of the house isn't "doing good," hth

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Wizard posted:

Cops probably wouldn’t be getting doused with water if they were welcome members of their community rather than an external occupying force but I guess that doesn’t let enough people play soldier dressup

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coasterphreak posted:

The other recruitment problem that my local department is having is the fact that the base salary is barely enough to cover cost of living for a family of four in the community they service... and this is after the county approved a 10% funding increase last year. Who the gently caress wants to risk getting shot during a routine traffic stop and still live paycheck to paycheck?

Lol imagine the possibility of being able to cover CoL for a family of four

And they have the gall to loving complain hahahahahahaha

Fuckin' hell, man, cops really are poo poo.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flying_Crab posted:

Or for example where our GOP government changed state law to make it so cities couldn't require city employees to live within the city proper, so now a huge amount of police (and other various civil servants) live in and come from our incredibly conservative suburbs policing a city that is majority minority.

This is a real bitch locally, too, with a lot of the cops in the "big minority town" coming from outside the whole drat county.

Because they want the purest racist shitbags, you see, not just your average run-of-the-mill cops

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Or access to better schools for their kids. Nobody's gonna sacrifice their family on your purity altar just because it's what you want them to do. Baltimore's got some decent schools, but do you seriously expect people to not want to give their kid the best shot they can? Primary Ed policy and funding is a whole other loving mess that overlaps decent with police policy. Of course you want members of the community being the ones policing their own poo poo, being invested in where they live, but do you have any actual real suggestions for how to get to that point?

Cool, I get it, you've tied your entire identity up with this grand idea of not having a hosed up systematically racist and classist judicial system that enables and supports the worst parts of humanity. Worthy cause. The only problem is you're likely never going to actually see meaningful movement on this issue in a timeframe that actually means anything to you. So instead you just end up sounding like my loving tinnitus and making everyone cringe when you speak up with the same one tone every time.

Oh gently caress it's almost like you've got no fuckin' clue what you're talking about because the town I'm talking about has the best and most well-funded schools for five counties, but those cops' kids might have to sit next to a black kid, so they don't live in town. It's all racism.

Not my fault that cops are loving useless and the money we spend on them could be better spent on trauma response/education/social programs because holy gently caress a police department shouldn't be a full third of a loving city budget.

Edit: yeah this section wasn't worth it.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 29, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Coasterphreak posted:

So your solution is that people with a conscience never go into law enforcement, leaving no choice but to hire people without a conscience.

That seems like a good idea.

"People with a conscience" in law enforcement are at best sidelined and voluntarily keep their heads down, at worst drummed out or killed.

Stop believing in the myth of the "good cop" because they don't exist

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

...our society creates a system where decent “normal” people become cops yet grow to do and tolerate horrible poo poo because our system and culture both inside and outside law enforcement is so hosed and almost any human being would fall into those patterns, no matter how woke you think you are.

The former lets you have a smug sense of superiority and a hate boner, the latter is a lot more disturbing since you don’t get to give yourself a pass, since almost anyone would eventually give in to the social pressure and continue the cycle.

hey guess what I mean when I say "all cops are bastards" and maintain that there's no such thing as a good cop

I mean, he edited it out of his post back in the June CE thread, but Bored As gently caress, noted "liberal as gently caress" cop (ahahahahahahaha) admitted to keeping his head down to keep his job. Which is part and parcel of being a bad cop.

Because there are no good cops.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If only there had been One Good Cop™ involved at any point over this long period of time to do something about all the bad cops that did this and then covered it up

Maybe even the One Good Cop™ wasn't a "line officer" so they weren't involved in the incident itself but somewhere in the cover-up process

Maybe the One Good Cop™ didn't have any power to do anything within the department and could have gone to the media to report this gross miscarriage of justice

It's almost like there's no such thing as a good cop, even if some cops are good people when not wearing the uniform.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bored As gently caress posted:

New York had a system wide retraining of all police agencies regarding positional asphyxiation. When someone is on their stomach, it is harder for them to breathe, especially if that surface is hard, like concrete or pavement. It's an especially dangerous position for overweight people, as their body must work harder to fill their lungs with oxygen. We're now trained to put our knees across the person's wasit/belt area, not the back, when cuffing noncompliant subjects. We're also now trained to put them on their sides / a rescue positon as soon as possible.

Hopefully more states adopt these new training standards, because positional asphyxiation is really loving dangerous and easily preventable.

Ah yes, the department famous for making "I can breathe" shirts is doing this retraining in good faith and is absolutely going to follow it

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chichevache posted:

What event do you think prompted this kind of retraining? Do you think any of us want to be famous for killing a handcuffed person?

Seeing as how cops keep killing handcuffed people my answer is going to be "apparently yes, some of you do want to be famous for killing a handcuffed person."

It literally doesn't matter whether the cops that post here think they're "one of the good ones," because they're not. And you can't ask someone to expect Officer Friendly when they're most likely going to get Officer DogShooter at best when they call in.

Russian roulette might be one bullet in a revolver, but American roulette is dialing 911.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Melthir posted:

Bullshit, thats a loving strawman from hell. You are not responsible for someone else's actions. You are responsible for you. If someone else does something hosed up pass it up the chain. If they choose not to act that's on them. If it's bad enough contact the IG or IA. You do the best you can do every day. I've been doing this gig 16 years now and yeah the assholes get to be a pain but if you don't make a change but can prevent poo poo from getting worse then your doing your community a favor if some idealist gently caress like me wasn't filling this gig they'd likely put some Gomer Pyle gently caress in my spot. Every single day you can make a difference is just whether you going to let this poo poo grind you down or not.

Some days it sucks worse then others, so what that's loving called life. But if by just not being a gently caress up your able to make someone's life better then that's good enough. I'd rather it be me or one of my buddies show up then some tacticool fuckwit who should have never been hired in the first place showing up and using force when there was no reason for it. Just by being a decent human being prevents 90% of the bullshit from kicking off in the first place.

Also generally the guys who get help or talk about the hosed up poo poo and work out generally are not the guys I'm worried about cracking skills. It's the broody fucks who eat like poo poo and keep it all to themselves, it eats at them like cancer.

Hey so this is a lot of angry words but if you know something bad happened and its being covered up when does it become "bad enough" to where you stop ignoring the coverup (that you've tacitly admitted you do) and instead go to IG or IA? What if IG or IA does nothing (because they're also cops and just loving lol at cops holding other cops accountable)?

Do you throw your hands up and say "oh well, I did one useless thing, so now it's not on me?" Which is bullshit, by the way; it's absolutely on you.

It's on everyone wearing a badge to be responsible for the actions of everyone else wearing a badge, and to fight like hell against any injustice done by the police.

Don't like it? Too loving bad, you're in the wrong line of work.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

Hey, Professor Bling, I think you missed this post. Answer the question.

Sure. I'll take my time and write out something reasoned since I'm falling back into angry yelling again.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

You have until 2 PM Eastern tomorrow.

Cool, I've got a draft but have been voluntold into home renovations today; I'll get it out later tonight.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keep it in your pants, please

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

Okay, so let me try to answer this in good faith.

I don't want cops to off themselves, but I don't see a way to reconcile "being a cop" with "doing good" under the current system and how hosed it is. So, no, I don't actually want cops to kill themselves, but I do want them to stop being cops (previous angry hyperbole being just that, angry hyperbole).

I honestly do not believe there is such thing as a "good cop." There are cops that may try to do good, sure, but there's no possible way to be a "good cop" when the system is as hosed as it is now. Are there "good cops" in the Chicago PD? Were there "good cops" when CPD was running literal blacksites?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/11/homan-square-chicago-police-internal-documents-physical-force-prisoner-abuse

How does any upstanding person reconcile themselves with wearing the same uniform as people that do this? I realize that the CIA does this and that there's an argument to be made that it's much the same with military service, and I actually agree with that argument; I have a hard time reconciling my time in with the poo poo that was going on during my enlistment. 8 years ago I'd have probably had an answer to that question, but I'll tell you, 8-years-ago me was a self-serving piece of poo poo with no moral compass and little to no principles besides "get money." I wasn't a good person, and it didn't matter how many volunteer hours I did or how much I tried to "have faith in the mission," there was no fixing that until after I got out.

I can see the arguments that some officers are trying, but racism is so ingrained in both American society and American policing. How does an individual who feels like they need to keep their head down to keep their career fight against systemic racism that pervades the entire department?

https://source.wustl.edu/2018/02/police-kill-unarmed-blacks-often-especially-women-study-finds/

60% of black women killed by police were unarmed at the time they were killed. As well, this article states that "the study also suggests that many tactics implemented to curb police violence, such as the use of body cameras and diversifying police forces by adding more non-white officers, have done little to reduce the number of people killed in police interactions." So these liberal ideas for fixing the problem don't fix the problem.

I'll stay away from getting too political (there's no effective discussion from "the point of police is to protect property and enforce social order" even if I honestly believe that to be true), but suffice to say that these studies, coupled with the Supreme Court decisions finding no "duty to protect," have pretty much permanently soured me on the police in America and what they say we should do to fix this.

Is there anything that police could do to change my mind? Aside from someone waving a magic "no more racism" wand, not really. Not because there aren't things I think would work, but I don't expect any cop to be even close to okay with "disarm all cops and keep the car gun locked in the trunk, with massive paperwork requirements for retrieving it" and "cut police budgets." Especially the latter. I'm sorry, but when a full third to half of some small town budgets go to the police department, the problem isn't "not enough money." It's too many toys.

My local podunk town of 5000 people doesn't need a single MRAP, let alone two of the goddamned things. We don't need our own SWAT unit unless the SWAT in my town is the SWAT for the entire county, which is not the case even if we're the county seat. We don't need cops running around in full battle rattle like they're rolling through loving Fallujah.

Maybe a good start would be advocating for (and actually and actively pushing for) the elimination of law enforcement cutouts in various laws. If I can't have a certain configuration of firearm, then the cops shouldn't either. That would be a good start. Maybe then we can start entertaining things like taking handguns away from cops, and cutting police budgets. Cutting maintenance for MRAPs and Bradleys (and scrapping the goddamned things) would be a good start.

The problem is, if a cop starts openly advocating any of these things, it's career suicide. And when the decision in the moment is "keep my house or actually stand for something good and reasonable" I can completely understand "keep my house" winning that. Which is part of why I maintain there's no such thing as a good cop. By tying their income to oppressing the poor and minorities, you're asking them to basically give up their entire lives in order to stop that oppression, and it's a lot scarier to think about losing your home and your family than it is to think about the couple months of paid leave or desk duty you'd probably not get for slamming a black guy's head in a cruiser door.

I've probably deleted half again as much as I've written here, because I keep getting mad and typing angry poo poo, then deleting it after walking off for a smoke. Couple that with my rap sheet, and maybe I should just not talk about cops on the forums. I'll readily admit I deal with enough of this poo poo in my daily life and it's frustrating as gently caress, because there's no recourse. It doesn't matter who I help if the cops just continue to gently caress them over anyway, as they continually do. Trying to then act like I'm supposed to support "good cops" who are just as ineffectual as I am, with the added caveat that they actively contribute to loving over the poor and disenfranchised, and I fuckin' lose it.

You know, these cops in here are probably pretty decent people in their own right, outside of uniform. But I make that clarification very specifically. With the uniform on, their first name becomes "Officer" and that's all people will see. They won't remember Officer Friendly when they're having their breath cut off or their arms broken for "not complying while black" or simply "not complying fast enough." But the next time they see Officer Friendly, they'll remember the brutality. I don't have a good answer for fixing that. I know I don't have a good answer, I'm frustrated that I don't have a good answer, and I'm mad as gently caress that it all happens in the first place.

So, hey. That's why I say "all cops are bastards." That's why I say there are no good cops. Maybe that means I have to stop posting copchat at all. So be it. But it's getting to be incredibly difficult to release my frustration and anger in any way that's productive, and I can't just ignore the problem because it has far too active a role in the lives of people I care about far more than police officers. Maybe it's appropriate that my first "bought for me" avatar says "I'm going to kick your rear end and get away with it." Because I honestly believe that to be the case.

edited some spelling mistakes

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 3, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well the CE thread got closed because apparently we're not allowed to disagree with banning guns? so why not talk about it here instead, since it seems like another topic mods don't want to deal with

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

People were winding up a poster who was still able to articulate his argument while clearly being emotional about it, which is something you've never been able to figure out.

Maybe articulating this somewhere other than the discord would be a good idea, then, eh?

Because for folks without access to the discord it just looks like you shut it down for no real reason, rather than this actually very decent reason (follow-up personal attack notwithstanding)

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McNally posted:

Bloo bloo bloo McNally's being mean to me.

That's... not the point of that post?

Edit: I'm just saying that "Let's take a break" without further explanation tends to confuse people, and when the actual rationalization for it is in the GiP discord but not in the thread then it kind of defeats the purpose.

I get that GiP is tight-knit but the CE thread gets a lot of outside traffic, so maybe being more explicit in the post there about taking the break would be a good idea.

Genuinely not trying to poo poo on you over anything, just noting it took me checking the discord that I haven't checked in months to find why the CE thread got locked.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 4, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey, it's all good, no worries on my end. Trust me, I know about cranking assholery to 11. I might take issue with some of your modding decisions (and be a real rear end in a top hat about it) but you could be doing a whole lot worse.

I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat this time, even if that first post about it may have come off that way.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 5, 2019

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bird cooch posted:

While I do enjoy his writing and podcast he is a self-proclaimed anarchist libertarian which has got to be the most childish self-imposed label I've ever heard.

"Anarchist libertarian" is pure strain "gently caress you mom it's not bedtime yet" politics

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bored As gently caress posted:

Good. Hang that evil piece of poo poo from a lamppost.

Fixed that for you

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, my bad, let me re-rephrase that:

I hope that the justice system does the equivalent of a modern public execution so that Amber serves as an example to other evil pieces of poo poo that they can't loving murder with impunity just because they've got a badge on and their victim isn't white.

Better?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Literally loving called it when the news first officially broke. A murderer is going to walk free because they had a badge on, which is the common theme of these things. Cops walk when they murder innocent people as long as the innocent person they murder has dark skin.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stravag posted:

If this doesnt get her off next time theyll try plan b, immediately after the killing they'll declare the victim a domestic terrorism suspect so that way its easier to make the aRe HeRoEs defence

I mean they charged the Blues Brothers reenactor that drove an SUV through Woodfield Mall with terrorism, so, uh, they're already doing it? Except they didn't kill the Woodfield Mall driver.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol come on, it's a cop, of course they'd do this

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I still don't believe she'll see honest punishment but then again I didn't think she'd be found guilty, so hopefully I'm wrong twice and she rots in a cell!

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Nice! posted:

They did not mention the degree, so I'm assuming that gets determined later. First degree murder has a sentence range of 5-99 years. Capital murder has life sentence to death penalty. It is possible for the state to pursue capital murder because one of the predicates is committing a murder in the process of a burglary. Based upon my non-texas lawyer reading of the burglary statute, she did indeed commit a capital murder.

I'll be nice and just say that I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the result I truly want from sentencing, then.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chichevache posted:

You're pro-capital punishment? I'm not. I think it is a gross holdover from a time before we understood a lot of the root causes of crime. It's expensive, pointless, and morally reprehensible. I really only support it in cases of gross treason.

I'm usually not pro-capital punishment either, but I'll make an exception in this case.

I'll also accept life without the possibility of parole, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:nallears: