Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Kawasaki Nun posted:

that security guard ain't right, tell you what.

Now I'll have you know that the security guard went through a strenuous 20 hour course by an OPOTC certified instructor and fired a rigorous 38 round course of fire. He knew what he was doing.

He didn't

Edit: I forgot to add there was a 1 page written test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

People who choose to be cops should be viewed with suspicion. People who choose to be cops for no pay should be put into a gulag.

Edit: if these people actually wanted to make their community a better place, they'd sign up to be a reserve firefighter.

There are states whose system forces a lot of police academy grads to take unpaid gigs where they are basically taken advantage of by local municipalities.

I'm looking at you Ohio...

Edit: Basically if you go to a police academy, pass the Opota test and get a commission as a police officer in the state of Ohio, you have 12 months to find a department that will hire you. So a lot of smaller departments will hire you to an unpaid auxiliary position, where you work 20 hours a month, for free. So that you have time get hired on to a paying department.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2019

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

That sounds like you really, really have to want to be a cop in Ohio to put up with that. I say gently caress 'em if they're willing to unnecessarily be indentured servants. They chose to be cops, no sympathy.

I knew guys that would drive 60-90 minutes away from home to work those jobs for free, until they got hired on to a bigger department.

If you see a cop in a city with less than 30,000 people, they probably aren't getting paid and live nowhere near the area they are policing once or twice a month.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

No, they are still just as bad with the thin blue line poo poo, but way more likely to cite you for every single thing they possibly can 99% of the time.

Can confirm

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Some of the very first things E-9s of the various services did in iraq/afghanistan bases was to set up speed limits and order the MPs to start ticketing people for traffic violations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Army cops are the loving worst. Giving out tickets for speeding in a war zone lol

You forgot putting parking boots on armored suburbans and land cruisers.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s Texas, and she’s a young white woman accused of killing a black man.

She might not be found not guilty, but she’s never going to be found guilty.

Shits just not gonna happen. It’s sad, but it’s true.

This is the one where she was drunk, went to the wrong apartment and shot the occupant right?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

Also also no MPs they’re clearly mentally unsuitable if they volunteered for that.

Can confirm.

Does Cage Kicker still post here?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

feel free to demonstrate my example, using yourself

Dude, that's uncalled for.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Maybe because 2015 was the high water mark of cops killing black guys and most people decided to stop pretending they were anything other than an occupying force.

But if that was the high water mark does that mean things have gotten better?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Can't speak for national numbers but 2015 was one of the lowest years in history for NYPD shootings. 23 shoots for 8 deaths. Down from 59 shoots in 2005.

Yes but being NYPD, how many shots fired?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Hold on, let me look up the publicly available report. NYPD is one of the only departments that tracks and reports every firearms discharge.

You're kinda killing my joke here

The NYPD are bad shots

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack. Does the NYPD still have it's ridiculous rules about trigger pull weight?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes. Given the level of training we get it's probably for the best.

....just wow.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't want to try and explain DA/SA to some of my co-workers. With the exception of transit, "don't take your fuckin gun out" seems to be the current shift in culture as the new attitudes of the trend setting units (narco, anti-crime) percolates into patrol culture.

Yeah, but your issued Glocks have a trigger set at a higher pull weight.......for......reasons?

Disclaimer:
I bought an ex NYPD P226 DAO years back and I'm good with it but not as good as other pistols I own.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Glock leg. The original NYPD revolver swivel holsters required you to stick your index finger in the holster to wedge the gun past the retention rod (yes this is a dumb as it sounds) and when they switched to the Glock muscle memory and stupidity led to a lot of NDs.

Ray Kelly also hated guns and demanded that requirement.

So instead of training officers to safely handle firearms they handicap them making it more difficult to shoot accurately when they need to?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

How do you post in this forum and react with surprise to that?

A classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfONckOPyaI&t=6s

Because police training in America is broken and I like poking fun at the NYPD.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Silly Newbie posted:

God drat. "I'm out" and "later" followed by a quad post is some pro level poo poo.

It's actually a possible to engage someone in meaningful discourse without being a total tool.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/davelevinthal/status/1210506471605231621?s=21

Police union grifts donations to benefit families of injured/killed officers, spends 87% of proceeds on overhead, advertising, and shady telemarketing practices.

So acting like 90% of charities.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1217852619487576065?s=09

gently caress the police.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Counterpoint: Creepy youth pastor dude that clapped a reporter's rear end as he was running by her in a marathon, everyone agrees he's a loving idiot and should've kept his hands to himself. Slightly different because of the objectifying a woman angle, but still. C'mon.

I'm totally not biased on this situation.

OBJ did nothing wrong

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Free OBJ, Robert Kelly, and Bobby Schmurda!!

OBJ got freed, the cop dropped charges

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

McNally posted:

This thread was never that. That thread is long dead. This thread was originally created specifically to keep posts about the hosed up state of policing in the United States from clogging up the current events thread.

Probably confusing it with the old cop lounge thread before all of the cops were driven out of GIP

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Grem posted:

I would bet there's more minorities serving in the Army than are in the police. Only reason I'd see them being better at serving and protecting.

The MP Corps is proportioned more like regular law enforcement from what I saw

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hot take the dogs testimony is still more trustworthy than the cops

This reminds me of the time a drug dog "hit" on a care package on our FOB, they cut out the bottom and a bottle of crown royal fell out. And so did a package of beef jerky

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm sorry...a police sergeant in Boston earns 150 grand annual salary? :stare:

Apparently
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/23/boston-police-officers-were-highest-paid-city-employees-in-2018/

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Remember too that they try to charge anyone else who hurts or kills a police dog as if it was a human cop.

Scumvermin.

That tracks, if their trigger happiness kills or injured another cop I doubt they face consequences.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A steelers fan in Seattle....

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

A cop still exists on something awful in TYOOL 2023?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Stravag posted:

For a sec i thought they were offering 10k if you bagged one and was gonna say thats probably the fastest way to clean up the nypd possible. Could even nyc afford that though? They got what 25k in the department? Maybe 2-300 worth keeping?

I thought NYPD was 60k+