Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
It is only those who have neither made a post nor read the whines and complaints of the probated who cry aloud for talking, more posting, more mod oversight. Copchat is hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

roving death squads

Hard to have a civil conversation when this is the kind of hyperbolic posting that shows up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

gently caress, the "disability" he's getting his pension for is the "mental issues" he got from straight up murdering a man.

gently caress.

I think it is bullshit that he's getting disability, but I didn't see anything in the article stating that his claim was based on mental anguish from the shooting. I think it just says they reasons for the medical retirement are not being released to the press.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

Which I understand, and is why I said "one reason why" rather than "the reason why"

Because, let's not kid ourselves, if the ADA didn't exist, the dept still wouldn't release the info

You're probably right on both counts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You shouldn't apologize. One side doesn't want people to be summarily executed for the suspicion of a misdemeanor, the other is fine with that.

Point out the people in GiP who think people should be executed for misdemeanors.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

repeal the second amendment, disarm cops, beep boop problem solved

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

gently caress, hitting thosecops with bricks would have been far better than just water.

gently caress all coos, gently caress the NYPD in particular, and someone buy those cop-dunkers a fuckin beer.

Literally all cops are pieces of poo poo on par with that SBA Twitter account.

gently caress, dude. I thought when we try to keep abusive husbands from beating their wives we were doing some good for society.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

Taking your friends out camping for a weekend to get them out of the house isn't "doing good," hth

That was a good burn and I'm glad I teed it up for you, but the point still stands that there is a need for law enforcement in our society. And I'd like to think that those of us on SA are good cops and good people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
My department let's people in who smoked weed and don't have degrees. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grem posted:

Why not just go to WalMart and get a supersoaker and come back for some revenge?

Angry Cop Shoots Unarmed Black Man, Click Here for Uncensored Footage!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Liquid Communism posted:

The solution is not being a paid enforcer for the rich who are set on gentrifying the community out of existence if you want to be a member of the community, buddy.

Hope that helps.

Not all law enforcement revolves around class warfare. For example: the active shooter who just killed a bunch of people in my community.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

"People with a conscience" in law enforcement are at best sidelined and voluntarily keep their heads down, at worst drummed out or killed.

Stop believing in the myth of the "good cop" because they don't exist

No, I'm not.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Best Friends posted:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/30/gonna-kill-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-final-minutes-tony-timpas-life

Schizophrenic man calls 911 for help, gets zip tied with cops on his back pressing on him for a long time, says "you're killing me" repeatedly, police make fun of him and maintain pressure on his back. He dies. Police make fun of him more. Three cops charged. Statements made to the media which are full of lies. Charges dropped.

This is terrible and it is why we need good cops who are trained and experienced in dealing with the mentally ill. Prior to signing up for my department I spent years working in a psych ward, and it is the kind of experience I'd recommend for anyone going into law enforcement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

So is working at a psych ward what also would give you the experience not to cover up the incident? This wasn't just untrianed cops oopsing into killing a man. The city hid the video from the public for years, even after all charge were dropped and decided these cops were A-OK to go back to patrolling the street.

The issue is systemic. It's not just that the department didn't hire enough experienced and truly virtuous cops.

Working with the mentally ill is what helps you learn what to expect and how to properly deal with the mentally ill so that the situation never becomes violent, you clown. As line staff I'm never going to be in a situation where I'm orchestrating a coverup.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

This is a good way to respond when I point out that cops cover poo poo up for cops.

I don't think a smart solution to cops covering for cops after they kill someone is suggesting that we'll just make cops have to be psych ward employees before they're cops.

I was more concerned with the man being murdered by three cops who clearly didn't understand the situation, but if you want to create a dumb strawman to fight then I don't see what there is to be gained by continuing a debate with a disingenuous shitstirrer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, if only you'd been there to stop this man's death. But I guess since you weren't, it's now "shitstirring" to talk poo poo about the cops who were there and their administration who helped cover it up and then put them back on the street?

You're trying to imply that I'm somehow condoning their lovely behavior and the terrible coverup by multiple levels of Dallas PD because one of my solutions to the situation is to hire cops who won't kill the mentally ill at all. As if that somehow is me absolving ignorant shitheads of murder.

We can have this conversation without being confrontational and putting words in each other's mouths. That's up to you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

It does really seem like the training to not sit on a dude's back until he loses consciousness and dies should be pretty cheap. That's at least a tiny start.

Yes, we all agree with that and I can guarantee that every single cop who posts on this forum is shocked by how stupid, callous, and careless those three morons were. Speaking for my department, we cover that shot constantly during training. Also if the guy did just fight police then leaving him on the ground in cuffs is stupid for so many reasons when you could be securing him in the back of the vehicle instead of high fiving each other about winning a fight 3 on 1.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

Ah yes, the department famous for making "I can breathe" shirts is doing this retraining in good faith and is absolutely going to follow it

What event do you think prompted this kind of retraining? Do you think any of us want to be famous for killing a handcuffed person?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

It literally doesn't matter whether the cops that post here think they're "one of the good ones," because they're not. And you can't ask someone to expect Officer Friendly when they're most likely going to get Officer DogShooter at best when they call in.

Yeah, 51% of 911 calls result in an OIS and a dead pet. That's why we work all that forced overtime, because half the department is on paid administrative leave pending an open and shut investigation in which all officers were cleared.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Melthir posted:

Your cherry picking here dude. I covered that just a bit later. You are responsible only as far as sending it up the chain to you supervisor, the IG or IA. Unless they are your subordinate you are literally not responsible for them. I'm not responsible if some loving rear end clown decides to go hands on with someone over failure to show identification. I know 100% our supervisor would gently caress his world up. The only people I have to worry about are me and my guys. And funny thing is that they all have a similar mindset as I do. Do the job don't harass people. Dont go hands on if their is another option. Talking is key.

Pretty sure Professor Bling just wants you to shoot the other cop on sight and then kill yourself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Posters like Professor Bling continually argue that because bad cops exist (and all cops are bad) people who actually give a drat, love their communities, and aren't racist, should cede control of law enforcement entirely over to nazis and the nazi-adjacent, because somehow that will make the world a better place. It's the same type of tankie-accelerationist logic that has people voting for Trump because it will: 1. destroy the current system 2. ??? 3. Survivors climb from the rumble and establish a utopia.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

None of that refutes that becoming a police officer necessarily means you are the cudgel for those regressive and racist policies. If you're not disagreeing that political forces create misguided enforcement priorities, why would you excuse someone who signs up to do that dirty work - again, even if they are doing it in the cleanest way possible on the surface? When a police department - whether at the behest of the city council or state legislature, or just on its own initiative - tells its cops to frisk a bunch of kids in minority neighborhoods, or ratchets up burglary enforcement while turning a blind eye to much more impactful white collar fraud, or rounds up piles of low level street drug offenders while allowing pharmaceutical employees to do far worse, or violently infiltrates and breaks up left leaning protests, or you name it in terms of enforcement priorities dictated by race and class rather than public safety, what possible action can an individual officer take to avoid perpetuating these things?

The city council can't just order cops to stop and frisk black kids. The chief or sheriff doesn't show up to briefings and say "today we are targeting Puerto Ricans and Cambodians". They can create laws and policies which give bad or racist officers the opportunity to harass or target minorities. Good cops still have the discretion to not do those things. Any time one of us is holding the job instead of some George Zimmerman wannabe, that's a cop who isn't going to use his discretion to harass good people.

As far as white collar fraud, that's kind of outside the purview of local departments. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see NYPD busting down doors in Wall Street and arresting bankers which have harmed communities far more than any drug dealer, but that kind of thing is more of an alphabet soup jurisdiction. I've got no clue how to begin doing forensic accounting. Get our politicians to close the revolving door between the IRS, FBI, and other white collar cop houses and the same groups they're supposed to police.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Untagged posted:

:allears:

Edit. They also admit they include all use of force complaints, whether founded or unfounded in to the stats.

Not to mention including non-specific complaints, ex. if a general complaint comes in and all officers involved in the call are then named because they don't know who did what but it's really only about the one guy they all still get lumped together and then "connected" for the data.

I'm not saying there aren't problems, and things that need to be addressed, but this study isn't really great at providing more than a headline.

:byodood:- I saw a cop eating lunch and talking on his phone which wastes my tax dollars!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between (a) local politicians adopting a stop and frisk policy, then police leadership adopting stop and frisk quotas and concentrating police in minority neighborhoods and (b) just ordering them to go out and harass minorities? When voters want to crack down on drugs, elect politicians who promise to crack down on drugs by supporting police, and the leadership in those police departments then directs resources to make a show out of a bunch of arrests, which results in a bunch of people accepting felony pleas and ruining their lives, what discretion does the cop in the middle of that chain of events really have? Police are the enforcement arm of policy that contributes to systematic inequality even with the most generous possible assumptions about the actions of any individual cop.

In California quotas like that are illegal, so we can't be forced into violating the 4th amendment by our department. Quotas should be illegal everywhere.

quote:

But it doesn't have to be that way, the NYPD could be doing that. If white collar fraud and wage theft and that other sort of semi-legalized crime was a priority for politicians and police departments, they could shift their focus and build capabilities. There are plenty of state laws being broken, and the relative lack of spending at the local level on enforcing that sort of property crime instead of property crime more often committed by other types of people has a lot more to do with class and race than a genuine interest in the public good.

None of this has anything to do with an individual police officer of course. As you say, if your supervisor tells you to chase down burglaries you can't exactly going to start digging around mortgage fraud. Which again points to a systematic problem with policing that even the best of police officers can't begin to solve.

That's really not how being a line officer works anyway. You generally have a beat and respond to calls in that area. Things like white collar crime would go through a specialized unit or detective. Your sergeant doesn't just say "alright boys, today we focus on murders and ignore other crime" or "burglaries only today, boy, head to your hot spots and wait for them". You show up, get your car, turn your computer on, and just start answering calls on the list.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 3, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I don't think this is the mass shooting thread.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

He's not, you are. Go touch a generator and cause an island-wide blackout or something.

Telling other posters they should die is pretty lovely.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

McNally posted:

I think he was making reference to TwoFing's unfortunate experience with marine generators rather than telling him to fry himself on a generator.

Ah, if that's the case then my mistake. I wasn't aware of that forums lore.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bird cooch posted:

like the stoneman Douglas one that pissed himself in the parking lot instead of doing his loving job?

What's your point? He was a pussy who shouldn't have had the job. We still need to have people around to deal with active shooters. Gilroy PD stopped theirs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Whole lot of you need to sit and have a think about the language you use

Language like this?

Detain my balls, bitch

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

And? Detain them, bitch. Just don't use some hosed up rear end language like you have.

You know the difference.

Bitch is a gendered insult and if you want to be the language police then set an example instead of being a hypocrite. You know, like a cop would be. :jerkbag:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tell you what, you keep using whatever language you want until God himself calls you out then.

Fucker.

Thanks, officer. Am I free to leave now?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yesterday, I was telling my wife how in "It Could Happen Here", one of the possible ignition points was having ANTIFA declared a terrorist group. That was his main one given for an expansion in Left wing violence. For the Right, it was the obvious, gun control. Seeing both happen it quick succession unnerved me a bit.

Also, if you haven't listened to it, check it out.

Related- do we have a list of recommended podcasts? Wasn't that a thread at some point, or am I making poo poo up in my memories?

It Could Happen Here is by Robert Evan's, who also hosts the Behind the Bastards podcast. He also writes for Bellingcat. I'd recommend anything he participates in as required reading for leftists.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I didn't know he was from BtB. I knew he was on bellingcat, and I accidentally read him for years: I started reading his poo poo on Cracked. I didn't put two and two together until nearly the end of ICHH...even though he says it in episode 1.

Yeah, BTB is loving great and got me into his stuff.

However... he also dropped the "I'm polyamorous" bomb on his last episode and now I'm questioning everything. :yikes:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

Max Uriarte put it best: "I want to be a Marine, but I kind of hate Marines." MPs are guys who sign up to be buddy fuckers.

Sounds like the kind of cop most of this forum would want. The "no blue falcon" mentality is why so many cops cover for other cop's poor behavior.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

No, they’re loyal each other and sycophants to the COC while loving over enlisted marines for doing 25 in a 24.

MP/MAs are the worst

Do... do the marines have 24 mph zones on their bases? :psyduck:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I always wondered how bike and mounted police brought their arrestees in. My mental image was a lot funnier and didn't look nearly as racist.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bored As gently caress posted:

It's the former, because of the latter, and the (well deserved) subsequent public outcry.

Not that complicated.

Truth. If they treat all races that way during the arrest then it's just a terrible look and a really bad idea. I'm not denying these men may have subconscious (or conscious) racist tendencies- everyone does- but if they handle white arrestees the same way...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Liquid Communism posted:

Meanwhile in Saint Louis: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/st-louis-sergeant-there-are-white-supremacists-on-the-police-force/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=71676634

But I'm sure it's just a few bad apples and not a systemic issue across the country.

Lmao of course it is systemic. It is systemic across the entire western world. We elected a white supremacist as president. The prime minister of England is a white supremacist. There have been white supremacist uprisings, rallies, and fascist government takeovers (often white fascists) all over the world. We have white supremacist doctors, white supremacist lawyers, white supremacist educators at all levels, white supremacist journalists, and even white supremacist ditch diggers.

It is a systemic issue at every level of every country with a significant white population. Why on earth would you think it would be any different for police?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

It IS different for police. It’s worse than average.

Like, worse than the average person in America by being statistically more white supremacist? Or worse morally than the it is for an average person to be white supremacist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Like, cops are far more likely than the average American to espouse white supremacy beliefs because they go out of their way to recruit other white supremacists to police forces.

I didn't know we had those statistics.