Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

piL posted:

Thats his point I think. He's trying to show that if you do want to make things better you won't be able to. You'll change or quit or get fired first.

Which I think goes to show its a number game. People follow the logic, "they're the bad guy and there's no point in me participating while disagreeing, because I won't be able to effect real change before I'm back out".

The same logic though makes any large project impossible, what can one man do to force regime change in Nazi Germany? They'll get shot before they make it onto the beach in France! How could we ever build a skyscraper? It takes more manhours than I will be alive!

These projects have constraints on them that frame the problem and make them solvable. You won't be alone, there will be a combined force of millions of troops from many countries fighting together. A big chunk are going to land on a specific day and though no one could last on that beach alone and any one would die, the scale will mean that most of those landing will live.

You will not build a skyscraper alone, there will be a plan and there will be lots of people and lots of jobs to do and a single person will do a single person's worth of effort, but it will accrue and there will be a skyscraper.

So, while I've been one who has claimed that the issue is that there are few like-minded people who are willing to go do the job of becoming a cop (im certainly not interested, for example), part of the lack of that willingness is probably a lack of a combined framework, a guarantee of sufficient numbers that its not a waste. Any one person absolutely can't make the culture change. It would require numbers. Which probably requires some sort of framework or a trust in institutions, both of which are currently unavailable.

To be fair I used to have the same moronic idea when I was younger and thought about being a cop, but fortunately I realized what an incredibly dumb idea this was for the reasons others have stated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)