Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, this video shows Floyd being arrested on May 25. How does it go from him being in cuffs to the cops kneeling on the guy's neck till he's dead?

https://www.fox9.com/video/688458

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/27/surveillance-footage-before-george-floyd-killed-minneapolis-not-resisting/

What was the chronology here? I know I'm looking for rationality and cause and effect in a matter that doesn't have any logic to it.

Is it really as simple as the police killed a man because he pissed them off?

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That's an ad for a TV show.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Would repealing Posse Comitatus and making law enforcement a branch of the military be a solution to some of the problems the United States has with law enforcement?

My thoughts are that there is no accountability in modern law enforcement. There is no equivalent to the UCMJ, meaning that police officers do not face any legal penalties for failing to follow the orders and do not face legal consequences for failing to do their duty in the way that service members do. Law Enforcement Officers act like they are defacto military, referring to anyone who is not in law enforcement as a "civilian," yet the departments do not face consequences for ignoring the edicts of the civilian leadership. Examples of this are the insubordination shown by the NYPD towards the Mayor's office, and the Columbus, OH police department ignoring the orders to stop using tear gas on protesters.

Servicemembers are not allowed to form unions or strike, and can be held accountable for malingering and intentionally sabotaging their work. A police officer and quit at any time, while a servicemember is bound by their contract of enlistment or service obligations.

The Posse Comitatus act was passed to prevent the US Army from enforcing the law in the south during reconstruction. The Army had been used to fight the Klan and protect the rights of newly freed slaves. Once the Army was prevented from doing so, there was nothing to protect the rights of black people in the South and the era of Jim Crow began. The US Army has been used to enforce racial order, see for example President Eisenhower's use of the 101st Airborne to enforce integration in Arkansas.

My feeling is that by Federalizing US law enforcement, either by making it a part of the military or the equivalent, it would standardize training throughout the country while creating a greater amount of accountability for law enforcement while also forcing them to adhere to a higher standard of conduct with more recourses to deal with problem behavior.

I apologize if this is a little meandering, I had a 3 AM call and am just typing this out before I finish my shift.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Liquid Communism posted:

Fuuuuck no it wouldn't.

The military is incredibly unsuited to domestic policing. They'd essentially be starting over from whole cloth and the very last people who should be designing a law enforcement system from whole cloth are the loving military.

For every time the Army was used for something like fighting the Klan, there's a dozen examples of massacring natives or being called in to bomb striking mine workers to protect the financial interests of the wealthy.

Weirdly enough the article you are quoting states the Army is much more neutral than the e Guard or local law enforcement.

article posted:

On four separate occasions between 1919 and 1921 the United States Army was ordered to intervene in labor disputes between miners and coal mine operators in West Virginia. Federal military interventions to maintain or restore civil authority threatened by unrest or riots originating from labor disputes was not unknown duty to army personnel. Between 1877 and 1920 several presidents had called upon the army to assist civil officials in quelling domestic disorders under authority of the Constitution and congressional statutes. In the vast majority of federal military interventions prior to 1917, regular army troops succeeded in restoring order quickly, with a minimum of injury and bloodshed, in strict adherence to orders issued within legal parameters set by the Constitution, federal statutes, and army regulations. Although questions of army neutrality were constantly raised, especially by labor groups and workingmen who were most often the focus of federal military interventions, historically United States Army actions during American domestic disturbances were amazingly non-partisan and non-violent when compared to the record of National Guard forces while under state control.1

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat posted:

Weirdly enough the article you are quoting states the Army is much more neutral than the e Guard or local law enforcement.

More to my point, I was talking about the accountability the military system provides, not that the Army as it stands is doctrinally set up to be a police force.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Internet Wizard posted:

Applying something like a UCMJ to cops would be a net gain, though. A universal set of laws, standards, and most importantly RESTRICTIONS that all cops across the country must adhere to would be a huge step forward.

The ability for community leadership to also do things like put people on restriction and pay cuts and punitive duty would help a lot as well.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was getting at.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Why do news articles never include the photos referenced and never give an accurate description of what the photos are?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I tried to find the footage of a Des Moines cop who shot a woman while aiming at her dog and found out a cop in Arlington , Texas had done the same thing.

https://youtu.be/6KhRcIOuurI

https://youtu.be/67TFsWLyd5I

WTF. Cops shouldn't have guns.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Meanwhile in Ireland a drunk is able to assault the police with a terrier and no one was shot.

In the US he'd be charged with assault with a deadly weapon at the least.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been recalling this clip from a bad movie recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwZyoBUIINw

As a fellow old man I have to point out the 2003 isn't recently.

So you may have recently been recalling it, Anyway carry on.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The police shouldn't be allowed to have guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDaNU7yDnsc

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm very curious about the training the police would give the ARNG during “40 hours of traditional police training in the use of deadly force.”

https://thefederalist.com/2021/10/21/abbott-deploys-armed-national-guard-to-border-to-arrest-illegal-aliens-for-trespassing/

The Federalist posted:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott gave the green light for thousands of specially trained National Guard troops to go to the Southern U.S. border and begin making arrests of illegal aliens who are trespassing in the state.

In a new deterrence approach to combatting the lasting effects of Biden’s border crisis, Abbott is using Operation Lone Star to grant Guard members new authority to make civilian arrests of illegal migrants beginning this week following at least “40 hours of traditional police training in the use of deadly force.”

Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven McCraw confirmed to Todd Bensman of the Center for Immigration Studies that approximately 3,000 of these specially trained National Guard members are scheduled to go to the border over the next six weeks.

“Nobody’s ever really used the guard before in this capacity,” McCraw said. “We’re going to use them to actually secure the border. The governor, the legislature, and the citizens of Texas have made it very clear; they want the border secure. It is good for our federal partner as well. The federal government should be thanking the state of Texas, and it’ll make the rest of the country safer as we increase the level of security.”

The newly-armed Guard will primarily work with the Texas Department of Public Safety officers in overwhelmed areas such as Del Rio, Texas, to arrest, handcuff, and charge individual male illegal aliens who are traversing private ranchland to get into the United States.

“[Ranchland] owners have all entered into state agreements to become complainants in misdemeanor-level criminal trespassing cases that DPS officers will charge (and have been charging since July),” Bensman reported. “The so-called single male ‘runners’ run because they are still subject to federal instant expulsion policy to control the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Women, unaccompanied children, and family groups will not be arrested by the state.

Since the beginning of the fiscal year in October 2020, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol has encountered more than 1.5 million illegal aliens at the Southwest land border, according to official CBP data, including more than 200,000 migrant encounters in both July and August. The Washington Post reported yesterday that according to unpublished CBP data obtained by the outlet, border arrests hit an all-time high as “U.S. authorities detained more than 1.7 million migrants along the Mexico border.”

Abbott signaled earlier this month that the Texas National Guard was “gearing up” to handle the increasing number of illegal aliens making their way across the border using caravans.

“Texas National Guard is gearing up at the border for increased caravans attempting to cross the border caused by Biden’s open border policy,” Abbott tweeted. “They are working with the Texas Dept. of Public Safety to seal surge locations at the border & arrest trespassers.”

Biden should do what Eisenhower did and Federalize the Texas National Guard. That would take the Texas Governor out of the chain of command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Internet Wizard posted:

What kind of legal precedent is there for NG forces being used to arrest people on criminal trespass charges

That's been my question. Since these guys are not on Title 10 Federal orders it falls under the state's jurisdiction, but it was always my understanding that posse commitatus still applied to the NG. I admit to not being an expert on military law, so I could be wrong.

Everything I've seen so far with Guard on the border has been sure to emphasis "assisting" law enforcement as opposed to performing law enforcement duties.