Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This particular cop even went so far as to have video on the news with his face blacked out and the voice-altering poo poo applied while discussing his gosh-darned chicken sandwich.

quote:

"I went ot the McDonald's and talked to the supervisor. She offered me some free food I didn't care anything about. I just wanted to find out who the person was and they deal with that person in an appropriate way."

lol

https://www.wthr.com/article/update-police-officer-forgot-he-took-bite-his-sandwich-indy-mcdonalds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

This is terrible and it is why we need good cops who are trained and experienced in dealing with the mentally ill. Prior to signing up for my department I spent years working in a psych ward, and it is the kind of experience I'd recommend for anyone going into law enforcement.

So is working at a psych ward what also would give you the experience not to cover up the incident? This wasn't just untrianed cops oopsing into killing a man. The city hid the video from the public for years, even after all charge were dropped and decided these cops were A-OK to go back to patrolling the street.

quote:

Records recently obtained by The News show the Dallas Police Department’s internal affairs investigation related to Timpa’s death was completed months before the officers were indicted. Dillard, Mansell and Vasquez were disciplined for “conduct discrediting” the department, but those allegations were dropped when the criminal charges were dismissed. Vasquez and another officer present at Timpa’s death also received written reprimands for “discourtesy” and “unprofessionalism.”

According to internal affairs records, Mansell and Vasquez were placed on administrative leave in December 2017. Dillard was also placed on leave in March 2018, internal affairs records show.

The officers returned to active duty in April after Creuzot dropped the criminal case against them.

The issue is systemic. It's not just that the department didn't hire enough experienced and truly virtuous cops.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Working with the mentally ill is what helps you learn what to expect and how to properly deal with the mentally ill so that the situation never becomes violent, you clown.

This is a good way to respond when I point out that cops cover poo poo up for cops.

I don't think a smart solution to cops covering for cops after they kill someone is suggesting that we'll just make cops have to be psych ward employees before they're cops.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I was more concerned with the man being murdered by three cops who clearly didn't understand the situation,

Yeah, if only you'd been there to stop this man's death. But I guess since you weren't, it's now "shitstirring" to talk poo poo about the cops who were there and their administration who helped cover it up and then put them back on the street?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

You're trying to imply that I'm somehow condoning their lovely behavior and the terrible coverup by multiple levels of Dallas PD....

We can have this conversation without being confrontational and putting words in each other's mouths. That's up to you.

The irony is heavy in this post.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It does really seem like the training to not sit on a dude's back until he loses consciousness and dies should be pretty cheap. That's at least a tiny start.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

All these ACAB people don't seem to realize that for a majority if cops, if we can avoid massive amounts of paperwork, or having to go to court, or deal with processing an arrest, we'll do it because it makes our lives and jobs easier. At least in my department, if we can just deescalate a situation, we'll do it.

One of the problems is the inherently classist and racist law/judicial system of the US. It goes beyond cops and has perverse incentives and pernicious outcomes that even the absolute best-meaning cop acts out. When cops choose how or when to de-escalate vs escalate class and race are a huge part of the decision-making cycle. This is true (in the statistical sense) of cops who strive not to be racist and are acting on social pressure or subconscious. It’s also true for cops of color who may well have come from poverty. Cops tend to find more room to give a warning or verbal talking to or ignore it when someone is from the upper class or the right skin tone. I’m not talking about mustache-twirling villain cops. The system is simply set up to gently caress up the poor and the non-white harder by design, and so the Paladin Cop is still going to do some crummy classist/racist stuff, even if in aggregate he/she is a decided net positive for society.

(No, this isn’t ACAB or asking the better cops to quit so the police force is universally made up of lovely racists).

And by no means is this problem unique to cops:

The current admin is using policy and leadership pressure to push the IRS to go after low-income people for stuff like EITC audits rather than pursuing the wealthy. You could catch 100 EITC fraudsters and probably make back less than finding one rich person who honestly fucjed up their taxes, much less intentionally did so.

Military targeting has set up a pile of wickets to jump through to order a kinetic strike in places like Iraq and Afghanistan and Syria, but at the cost of simply assuming a strike that passed those wickets being 100% pure-grade terrorist unless very clearly, and often publicly, demonstrated otherwise.

And Joe Meanswell has been conditioned since day 1 to think people with names like Joe are better suited for the job than people with names like Jasmine or Deshawn.

Does this create a lot more pressure on cops than on the mildly biased big box store manager? Sure, it does. But it should because police and DAs and so on are public servants and have a much more immediate and terrible impact than biased Hiring Manager man.

I understand that the Prof Blings of the world probably are not helping, but rather may galvanize an us v them blue line mentality. But my god do we have a lot of evidence of cops (and often their elected superiors) digging in against reforms. That is where the well-meaning cop who is unconsciously part of the problem here and there can consciously be part of a longer term fix. Personally, I think police telling their superiors they want a better department for public service rather than personal safety/ego is a much better idea than advocating for a cop suck-starting a pistol with a personal apology to Somethingawfuldotcom on their chest.

It’s also in great part a modern-day segregation problem but my thumbs are tired.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly, shootings like this one are a good argument for why, despite the poo poo we give them, cops are necessary.

We need cops for times when a fucker is murdering people rapidly and with wanton. We need cops less for busting people for harmless poo poo like weed, loitering, and [activity] while black.

So picking a mass shooting as reason to dunk on cops is a bit off to me. There are soooo many reasons to dunk on cops but at least bro-douche casual bigot cop is temporarily part of the fight against active shooters, even if he and the shooter both post racist memes?

I dunno. Mostly pissed some fragile white boy from elsewhere shot up my city because of those durn brown people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.inverse.com/amp/article/58332-police-use-of-force-homicides-study

“In a study released Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team of sociologists and criminal justice researchers used data compiled by the National Vital Statistic System’s mortality files, as well as Fatal Encounters (FE), a journalist-led database, to create one of the few comprehensive baseline estimates available for how often Americans are killed by police.

They determined that police violence is one of the leading causes of death of young men in the United States. Overall, it’s estimated that the mortality rate is about 1.8 per 100,000 for men between the ages of 25 and 29. This ranks police use-of-force as the sixth leading cause of death for young men, placing it behind other public health issues like suicide and “accidents” — a category that includes drug overdoses and car accident deaths.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cool.

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1158765197647126528?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It doesn’t just look racist. It is racist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

How the gently caress do you make that decision without thinking it through?

Maybe they thought it through.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Probably a combination of having no self awareness at all, no concern for the way poo poo will look, no training ingrained into them that they're always being recorded, the fact that they probably were "well poo poo we can't leave our horses here, I dont want to walk 2 blocks alongside my horse," throw in a dash of subconscious racism, and probably even conscious racism, and you get that horrid PR nightmare.

The result isn’t a “PR nightmare.” The result is dehumanizing, racist behavior toward a person.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It's the former, because of the latter, and the (well deserved) subsequent public outcry.

Not that complicated.

I’m pointing out that the first lens to view police activity is how it serves the public. Not how it affects public opinion of police which then affects the police. They are all related, but focusing on the former rather than the latter is cops-centric as opposed to focusing on the public first and giving a drat about how cops feel second.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Lmao of course it is systemic. It is systemic across the entire western world. We elected a white supremacist as president. The prime minister of England is a white supremacist. There have been white supremacist uprisings, rallies, and fascist government takeovers (often white fascists) all over the world. We have white supremacist doctors, white supremacist lawyers, white supremacist educators at all levels, white supremacist journalists, and even white supremacist ditch diggers.

It is a systemic issue at every level of every country with a significant white population. Why on earth would you think it would be any different for police?

It IS different for police. It’s worse than average.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Probably the first, definitely the second.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

My department is majority Mexican.

How does that work? Or do you mean they’re American with family ancestry from Mexico or naturalized?

If you do mean they’re Mexican on some kind of work visa arrangement, I would very much like to know more about how that works in your department.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So Americans or dual-citizens rather than Mexicans.

Doing some googling, it does appear some agencies are down with hiring green card holders as leo without being citizens or necessarily on citizenship track, but citizenship is the most common standard.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was curious as to whether your department hired Mexican citizens as cops in the US.

I’ve also worked with a significant number of very much American citizen people in the military who will refer to themselves as Mexican all day, but if some white guy like myself calls them Mexicans, they’re apt to take an otherization or racist meaning from it. So I tend to avoid calling American citizens Mexicans or use Mexican-American or latino/a if I know it’s appropriate.

FWIW, I’ve heard maybe one person IRL say Latinx; so far it remains a podcast word in my life.

My favorite El Paso soldier pickup truck I used to see had a huge decal that said, with the flags:

Hecho en Mexico :mexico:
Born in the USA :patriot:

Pretty good poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
When the media goes to extreme lengths to avoid engaging in cop-chat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is very worth a read, and it's quick.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-ambiguous-grammar

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Wait why did you post the same tweet twice

What? That’s not a tweet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I'm not defending the murder of a man, but the job is still to arrest people committing crimes.

Hey look, the distillation of one of the major problems with America’s cops: they think their job description is arresting people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You are hiding behind decorum while literally stating that your job is principally to arrest people.

Chichevache posted:

I guess change all the laws you don't like then?

An American cop’s solution to American policing, folks.

Cops cannot fail us, I guess. They can only be failed by the laws and that contemptible public who doesn’t change all of the laws.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 20, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
So let’s suppose for the sake of argument that Brown was killed purely because of drug trade.

Then the reasonable statement at this time is that there is zero evidence of his death being related to the trial. Not a declarative that it was not related to the trial with added “watch yourself” tones.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It says their words may jeopardize the integrity of the PD.

Not that the words impugn the integrity. Not that the words are doubting their integrity. The words, in and of themselves, jeopardize the integrity.

There are like a dozen versions of “no one can take your integrity from you; but you can give it away” quotes out there.

Saying that words from others expressing doubt in the PD’s integrity may cause the police to shed their own integrity reads as a threat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Deaportize me

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

Why can't it be both?

This is more realistically where I am.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

You could have the most pure and amazing point in the universe, but I stopped reading, because your writing style is unforgivable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The video's real bad.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe this cop was on to something and he beat Zork faster than anyone else.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/talentedvoter/status/1185534586924814342?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Using a video edited to start in the middle of the event is exactly the same as using edited body cam footage to implicate the suspect/victim in police assault cases.

Congrats, you're a cop.

In a sea of bad posts and dumb takes, I’ve found a big ole fish.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jacobsoboroff/status/1185960959132782592?s=21

Oops.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1187022153599897601?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/drrjkavanagh/status/1188298823619301376?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/rafiletzter/status/1191393557732610050?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And saying that the real victim of police bullying people is those poor police who have it so hard that they have to bully people.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

That's a mischaracterization in my mind. I think he was saying that cops are bullied, too, and that it's not exactly easy dealing with all of the hate and distrust and hostility from people. Yeah, we do have to just suck it up and deal with it. That's the situation, and if you signed up since this anti cop thing started going widespread, you knew what you were getting into. But even so, it is grating, discouraging, and frustrating to deal with when you're just trying to do your job or put away bad people.

No, this is revisionist or confused. He directly told someone who was threatened and lied to by cops that it was no big deal and made sure repeatedly to say "if" the poster wasn't lying, then it was not a useful tactic of the police, but really only because they had the wrong person.

quote:

If you weren’t part of it you weren’t part of it. It’s understandable to be shaken up by that sort of interview, but I would hope you also understand where those cops were coming from, regardless of the misguided direction they took.

They were attempting to bring to justice someone who had taken a life in a cowardly and selfish manner. It’s a serious responsibility that can weigh heavily on a person. Those guys actually gave a poo poo about the victim and I hope if I, or anyone I know, is ever unjustly killed the people working the case will care.

This was the third post in a row that went out of its way to open the door to the possibility that the non-cop poster was just lying about their innocence.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Dumb rear end rentacop.

Show some respect for that fully fledged officer of the law, please.