Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I've always been a huge fan of stand-up comedy and have been told before that I should give it a shot. I think I'm pretty good at getting a laugh out of people. A few nights ago I saw Bert Kreischer live and thought, "I really need to make this happen". He was hilarious but most of his set was just telling stories about his hilarious life. I totally had a "I could do this" moment.

Obviously if I do an open mic I won't have the opportunity to tell lengthy stories and things will have to be short and punchy. Any goons ever do funny poo poo on stage? Should I just rock up to an open mic and try to give people five minutes? Hawaiian shirt Y/N?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Follow all your dreams, goons. Do it. Follow them.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Depending on where you are comedy clubs will have classes and whatnot on it. A friend of mine, who is really funny, tried his hand at it. His humor didn’t quite translate to the stage but it took a lot of courage to get up there and take a chance.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
there was definitely a goon stand-up who wore a hawaiin shirt
he billed himself as "america's funnyman" and his gimmick was before every joke he would go "heyyyyy!"

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Cubone posted:

there was definitely a goon stand-up who wore a hawaiin shirt
he billed himself as "america's funnyman" and his gimmick was before every joke he would go "heyyyyy!"

im missing some time from spring 2014 (and winter 2016) and its very possible i shamed myself in this manner while on a long bender

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Good luck! I tried to do stand-up as a hobby years back. I lived in a small town so I had to drive a couple hours for an open mic. Went to three canceled open mics, then hit a deer the third time. Rule of threes, am I right?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
some college guy tried his act on me and i sat stone faced. they were all jokes about how football is like sex. hahaha "tight ends" get it
also he did the act after asking and i said no. i feel violated

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

gary oldmans diary posted:

some college guy tried his act on me and i sat stone faced. they were all jokes about how football is like sex. hahaha "tight ends" get it
also he did the act after asking and i said no. i feel violated

My act isnt anything like that. I just get on stage and try to explain 4chan meta memes using only the power of my voice.

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
My condolences

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
With standup try to say something funny every 15 seconds or so. Doesn't have to be a punchline but people should laugh a bit

Try to resist doing shock comedy or whatever as people also laugh when they are nervous and you'll get false reads

Put the mic against your chin and keep it there

If you got a 5 minute stop time your set to be 4:30 so you got 30 seconds worth of audience laughing time. Also don't step on your laughs. If the audience is losing it just let em go for a bit

For gods sake take the mic off the stand and put the stand to the side.

These are all things i've learned after doing standup for a year

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'll also tell jokes about golf.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Just keep repeating the phrase "What's the deal with airline food?" but each time your voice gets a little higher

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Trump and Mitch McConnell are in a bar.

They see Ivanka walking by.

Trump turns to McConnell and says “Let’s gently caress her.”

McConnell responds:
“Out of what?”

Hooo boy I’m on fire tonight I’ll have an Obama/Sanders/Merkel/Kim Jong Un one down the line.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Stand up comedy is probably a lot like fighting. Everyone assumes it looks easy but if they try it it just ends up on liveleak under the title “weird nerd gets owned in front of crowd of drunks”

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The_Continental posted:

I've always been a huge fan of stand-up comedy and have been told before that I should give it a shot. I think I'm pretty good at getting a laugh out of people. A few nights ago I saw Bert Kreischer live and thought, "I really need to make this happen". He was hilarious but most of his set was just telling stories about his hilarious life. I totally had a "I could do this" moment.

Obviously if I do an open mic I won't have the opportunity to tell lengthy stories and things will have to be short and punchy. Any goons ever do funny poo poo on stage? Should I just rock up to an open mic and try to give people five minutes? Hawaiian shirt Y/N?

Yeah, do your poo poo that you want to do best. You get 5, it doesn't have to be tight. You do you and you find you, good luck!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I did stand up for a few years until very recently.. I say go, absolutely.

Even if the audience doesn’t really care for it, if you can come up with a new joke that other comedians think is funny, you can make funny friends.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Well, this is exciting. I hope that you kill, op.

Do you have a formula that you are working on?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Good Ol Filbert posted:

Well, this is exciting. I hope that you kill, op.

Do you have a formula that you are working on?

Probably gonna talk about rap music

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Bring a projector and unleash a Powerpoint slideshow of your favorite memes while you play the accordion.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

The_Continental posted:

for or against?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mostly about how I love listening to gangster rap music alone in my car because it allows me to feel like the streets molded me while my white middle class neighbors push prams around.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
Have fun hanging out with all those funny people :-)

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
op please sit down

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

The_Continental posted:

Mostly about how I love listening to gangster rap music alone in my car because it allows me to feel like the streets molded me while my white middle class neighbors push prams around.

Stickin' it to the ma'ams

It's funny, I grew up in a ghetto world and listened to prissy white boy music. It's funny how both genres translate to "I'm sad, and this sucks"

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Also, Bert is as fat as he is racist

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1EdKlm0P8&t=50s

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I say follow your dreams but of all the comedians on Earth how is Bert Kreischer the one that inspires you?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Go heavy on SA stuff.

"Anyone here with stairs in their house?" is a strong opener.

"Turn your monitor on" is a great comeback to a heckle.

The niggerstomper58 post is risky but go for it if you think you can pull it off.

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I say follow your dreams but of all the comedians on Earth how is Bert Kreischer the one that inspires you?

I think he's mesmerized by his well-defined iliac crest, chubby dudes aren't supposed to have those.

Have you heard/watched his pod cast? it's pretty entertaining

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
OP, I hear puppets are all the rage these days. Try that out.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Wasn't it a goon who did "what if goofy was high"

I remember a video posted here a year or two ago and he goes "gorsch I sure am high"

Basticle fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 2, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Good Ol Filbert posted:

I think he's mesmerized by his well-defined iliac crest, chubby dudes aren't supposed to have those.

Have you heard/watched his pod cast? it's pretty entertaining

I probably listen to 10-15 hours of Stand-Up podcasts in a given work week, I’m very familiar with him and his circle of friends, and when you hear him explain it, his stand-up career only took off after literally 9 years of stalling out because of a fluke viral video getting posted during what was essentially a perfect storm of social media confluence.

The Machine is a great story, but the rest of his comedy is not that funny. He’s much for entertaining to listen to when he talks about the business and the back-end stuff, like how he edited his Netflix special to put his closer material at the 25 minute mark because he heard that people only watch half of Netflix comedy specials, etc.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Go for it! I've entertained the thought of trying this too but I'd rather write a book of funny stories that no one would read.

I don't think there are enough low energy comics like Todd Barry

PureEvil6_13 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 2, 2019

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I probably listen to 10-15 hours of Stand-Up podcasts in a given work week, I’m very familiar with him and his circle of friends, and when you hear him explain it, his stand-up career only took off after literally 9 years of stalling out because of a fluke viral video getting posted during what was essentially a perfect storm of social media confluence.

The Machine is a great story, but the rest of his comedy is not that funny. He’s much for entertaining to listen to when he talks about the business and the back-end stuff, like how he edited his Netflix special to put his closer material at the 25 minute mark because he heard that people only watch half of Netflix comedy specials, etc.

I just watched that one! I think he was talking to Fitzimons?

It's funny because after YMH, Bertcast starts, and automatically The Fighter and The Kid starts playing. I usually start drifting midway through Bertcast, but on insomniac days TF&TK keeps me company. I really liked the one where they had Jo Koy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Continental posted:

My act isnt anything like that. I just get on stage and try to explain 4chan meta memes using only the power of my voice.

The_Continental posted:

I'll also tell jokes about golf.

The_Continental posted:

loving do it, it'd probably work.

But then again I just laughed at this:

Basticle posted:

Wasn't it a goon who did "what if goofy was high"

I remember a video posted here a year or two ago and he goes "gorsch I sure am high"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You should try some sitdown comedy first.

Donathros
Sep 25, 2018
Good on you if you have the marbles to get on stage.

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival is a great example of society coming together to provide an open access forum for anyone with the desire to perform. If you have the chance to go, that'd be great experience. You can see some pretty off the wall content online if you would prefer to research from afar. Could be a good place to start.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Make sure to incorporate a lot of internet and meme references. People love that stuff

Icochet posted:

Go heavy on SA stuff.

"Anyone here with stairs in their house?" is a strong opener.

"Turn your monitor on" is a great comeback to a heckle.

The niggerstomper58 post is risky but go for it if you think you can pull it off.

These are really good too

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

At the start of your act, unzip your fly and pull out your erect penis. Remove your hand and let your penis slowly stiffen. Talk it as if it was a puppet, making a pun about "stand up comedy".

By now most of your audience will have recovered from shock enough to be howling with outrage, and some of the male, errr, members will be heading for the stage to beat you up.

Quickly pull the latex penis hand puppet off the hand you've had shoved in your pants pocket the whole time, and wave it at the audience. Open your fly wide to show that your real penis has been safely ensconced in your underwear the whole time.

The audience will be so relieved they'll poo poo themselves with laughter, and you will quickly become a comedy legend.

Act preparation: 1. Buy a custom made latex penis hand puppet. 2. Cut a whole in one of your pants side pockets. 3. Put puppet on dick. 4. Put on the pants.

tldr: Show your dick, then reveal it's a fake.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is actually a great idea! Maybe you can also incorporate a realistic looking toy gun into your act somehow.