Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

sick! i’m jealous mine are all rip offs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks man

https://giant.gfycat.com/FeminineFreshHerring.mp4

I am real pleased with the overall effect I got here, but if the smoke I used actually changed it'd be sweeter than a mother fucker

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Several days later, this is what I think I'm going to go with:

https://i.imgur.com/huoFubj.mp4

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

looks good! those materials/textures are v nice

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

thanks man

https://giant.gfycat.com/FeminineFreshHerring.mp4

I am real pleased with the overall effect I got here, but if the smoke I used actually changed it'd be sweeter than a mother fucker

Oh my god that's nice. How did you do the border effects? And I'm seeing some scanlines there too, drat. And the blur, how?

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
https://i.imgur.com/h9o6bHC.mp4

I did the donut tutorial

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bluemillion posted:

Oh my god that's nice. How did you do the border effects? And I'm seeing some scanlines there too, drat. And the blur, how?

haha you must be a sucker for glittery things like me

the text I made as a two textures, in affinity desgner, one as just a black backround and text was white, and then a second time as just a text outline

I had a texture I had made for https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1355783304826515458?s=20 this thing, it was just lines.
I multiplied the text texture with the lines texture to get just lines for the scanline. wasnt going for scanline just to make it more interesting

and I made an animation of a sweeping line across the screen, and I used that multiplied against the outline, and feed that into an emission, which is the sweeping effect, which I also have a glare node making sparkles and then thee whole thing fed into a lens distortion node with a tiny amount of diffractoin which does the blur.

infact for shits and giggles im re-rendering without the cloyds and I reckon I do almost the entire thing in the compositor tbh

sick

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Wanna gnibble that 'gnut

Sat down and started remodeling the stake/flamethrower deployable on the car today. The previous one was a doofy little sketch I did more as a placeholder to see how I could fit it on the vehicle, but mechanically it didn't make much sense. I'm not an engineer but I like to have at least a cartoony level of functionality to my devices so I figured I'd set it up so the firing mechanism for the stakes made more sense.

The old version is on the right with the new top assembly on the left and yes I know the stakes look like turds, I'm just, I've got to texture them and

The old one had no perceptible firing mechanism and absolutely no way for the pitch or angle to be changed so while it was a fun design it didn't exactly scream "this is a projectile weapon". The new design has a hinged underside so it can be pitched up and down and uses a pneumatic catapult system.

I realise the pistons don't make a lot of sense but it's still better than my first iteration. The cradles that hold the stakes slam into a stopper mounted in the barrel and on the rear of the skull, leaving the stakes to fly free:

Which also has the wonderful side effect of giving the skull doofy murder eyes

Having the catapult system be on a hinge means I can do fun things by having the skull's head and jaws be independantly movable. I'm pretty excited about putting it all together!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
everyone's blends are looking quite nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

everyone's blends are looking quite nice

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

welcome brother

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I spent a quiet Sunday evening learning how to use geometry nodes.

All of that, from this:

Well, and a subdivided plane, a cube with a divet in the top, and some procedural textures.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 22, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:popeye:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the future liberals want

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

I spent a quiet Sunday evening learning how to use geometry nodes.

All of that, from this:

Well, and a subdivided plane, a cube with a divet in the top, and some procedural textures.

Goddamn this is super cool. I've dicked around with nodes a little prior to getting into Blender properly but it's pretty daunting, the examples you guys have shown have been really neat though

I'm finished with my stake launcher/flamethrower remodel for now, old one on the left and new one on the right:

Keeps the skull n' bones motif while looking like an actual functioning piece of equipment. The stakes are fired using pistons, the flamethrower cannister is attached and hosed up on this model, and the general shapes of the body and shields are much more interesting

Way more going on with this one while keeping the compact footprint of the original.

The stake launcher system can pivot up and down freely to arc at aerial targets or to hit things further away.

Closeup of the little AA battery gizmo on the back. I made this thing right at the beginning of the project as a warmup and now I finally have a reason to use it. Planning on taping or roping the batteries in, I'm thinking this can be a little radio reciever for the turrets.

Ghaston Martin with the hardpoints down and the hardpoints deployed. The little sticks are the armatures so I can animate the pistons firing :3:

Once I've put some items in the trunk of the car I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the initial pass of the design. I want to make a start on a scene to place it in and then I'll return to polish and neaten everything before texturing it but this is a lot of the work done at this point, I think.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

Goddamn this is super cool. I've dicked around with nodes a little prior to getting into Blender properly but it's pretty daunting, the examples you guys have shown have been really neat though

I'm finished with my stake launcher/flamethrower remodel for now, old one on the left and new one on the right:

Keeps the skull n' bones motif while looking like an actual functioning piece of equipment. The stakes are fired using pistons, the flamethrower cannister is attached and hosed up on this model, and the general shapes of the body and shields are much more interesting

Way more going on with this one while keeping the compact footprint of the original.

The stake launcher system can pivot up and down freely to arc at aerial targets or to hit things further away.

Closeup of the little AA battery gizmo on the back. I made this thing right at the beginning of the project as a warmup and now I finally have a reason to use it. Planning on taping or roping the batteries in, I'm thinking this can be a little radio reciever for the turrets.

Ghaston Martin with the hardpoints down and the hardpoints deployed. The little sticks are the armatures so I can animate the pistons firing :3:

Once I've put some items in the trunk of the car I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the initial pass of the design. I want to make a start on a scene to place it in and then I'll return to polish and neaten everything before texturing it but this is a lot of the work done at this point, I think.

That stake launcher could go directly into a TF2 halloween event and nobody would bat an eye.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

That stake launcher could go directly into a TF2 halloween event and nobody would bat an eye.

This means a lot because among the piles of references I used was TF2's weapon designs :3:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.blendernation.com/2021/02/23/100-procedural-cloud-in-cycles/

I haven't had a look at this yet, just putting it here as some kind of bookmark to check later. Peace out peps

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

https://www.blendernation.com/2021/02/23/100-procedural-cloud-in-cycles/

I haven't had a look at this yet, just putting it here as some kind of bookmark to check later. Peace out peps

i like the idea of using the vector curves node to define the bottom of clouds

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

blender 2.92 is officially released, go get your geometry nodes workin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a hankering actually to see if I can pull off a fake apple render that ends up “viral”.

Surely it can’t be hard to model a featureless void-inspired metallic basic shape that people will believe is the new pro-mini

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one usb-c port that supplies power as well as is the only way to connect anything? think up a stupid word like “robust” and slap it on the image

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

new mini sits on top of a magsafe wireless charger, has no ports and only outputs video via airplay

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“heroic”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I have a hankering actually to see if I can pull off a fake apple render that ends up “viral”.

Surely it can’t be hard to model a featureless void-inspired metallic basic shape that people will believe is the new pro-mini

here's the apple secret sauce fyi

G2-continuous squircles. this knowledge must not leave the thread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh hell yeah look at that curvature continuity. hnnnnnghhhhhhhhh

lickable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

here's the apple secret sauce fyi

G2-continuous squircles. this knowledge must not leave the thread

now humour me

this is different from a rounded bevel?

I’ve thought about this, as if you were driving, you don’t drive in straight line, jerk the wheel to a fixed point to turn a corner, then straighten immediately.

which is the usual problem with circle based bevels?

blender has a factor to adjust the shape of rounded bevels , and if you dial it right it eases from straight to rounded and eases back out.

is this what you’re doing here?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I’ve thought about this, as if you were driving, you don’t drive in straight line, jerk the wheel to a fixed point to turn a corner, then straighten immediately.

blender has a factor to adjust the shape of rounded bevels , and if you dial it right it eases from straight to rounded and eases back out.

yep that's the gist of it.

in industrial design we don't usually talk about bevels but rather about continuity between surfaces, and the different degrees of continuity that exist.

when two surfaces meet at a sharp edge, they are said to have positional continuity. the surfaces' position is matched (vs. a discontinuous surface pair, with a gap between them) but that's it.

if you alter the surfaces so that their directions match at the shared edge, they now have tangent continuity and the edge is smooth. this is what you would see when you generate a circular-profile bevel, which industrial designers would call a fillet. mathematically, the surfaces' directions are a continuously varying smooth function. (nb: it does not have to be a circle, any conic such as an ellipse or parabola can be used for the profile).

however, tangent-continuous surfaces are not visibly smooth in certain finishes and lighting. at the point where the fillet begins, the radius of curvature of the surface can suddenly change. for example, a cube with a 10mm fillet on its corner has a top surface with infinite radius, changing instantly to 10mm radius for the transition, then instantly back to infinite radius on the side. like your car example. you want to slowly approach the turn, reach a point of maximum curvature, and ease out so the point where the blend occurred is indistinguishable. this makes the two surfaces appear to be one.

here's a picture. the three degrees are abbreviated g0/g1/g2 for some reason nobody knows. the direction of the surface is the first derivative of its position and the radius of curvature is the second derivative, so i like to think of it that way.

and here they are with curvature graphs to show the discontinuities in g1 and how those are blended out in g2. the length of the hair is inversely proportional to the radius, as is probably obvious.

even in a single curve you can tell that g2 is better, but it can be very obvious in a reflective surface. the virgin fixed-radius fillet vs. the chad curvature-continuous blend:

(these use a similar radius for comparison's sake; if i was really being extra i would open up some space for the blend to really let it relax. it looks better than the fillet here but still too tight for my liking)

any class-A appearance surface, like a car body or a fancy injection-molded blender housing or the edge of an ipad, has to use g2 continuity everywhere or you're gonna get funny looking warbles and dents in the reflections and it will look cheap.

in fact you can even go past g2, since it's all math. g3 continuity has a smooth rate of change of the rate of change of curvature of the surface, i.e. the third derivative of position. g4 is the fourth derivative. the difference in surface quality at those levels is quite subtle, and because of the restrictions it puts on your design (you really have to plan ahead for a g4 curve because it takes so long to accelerate) the only place you'll really see them used is automotive work. i think alias even goes up to g5 but lmao what even is g5.

i don't think blender has the sort of tools needed to really button this stuff down mathematically -- it's the domain of dedicated CAID modelers like rhino and alias. but you can probably get pretty dang close, especially if you're just using polygons, with a custom curve in the bevel profile box yepp

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 26, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo thankyou for that explanation. it’s something i’ve somewhat thought about lots at times but that really nails it. except I don’t know calculus so the derivative stuff, i’ll have to work out how to understand that.

anyway, thanks. when applying a fillet in the mesh editor, you can increase or decrease the number of vertices/lines, and there is a profile factor where 0.5 is that perfect flat->circle->circle and 0 is inverted square and 1 is square and 0.75 seems to my eye to be easing. but now I need to know for sure.

very interesting, thankyou

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

god drat sagebrush that was a quality post

though isn't it becoming the trend in car design now to have "pinches" where there is no continuity at all?

regardless, i now know what to do for my next designs. g2 continuity hell yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

go play outside Skyler posted:

though isn't it becoming the trend in car design now to have "pinches" where there is no continuity at all?

no continuity means the surfaces are disconnected; a trivial pinch (we call it a crease or chine) has positional continuity. but yeah i know what you mean. that style of surfacing where you have broadly curved surfaces that meet at sharper edges is very common in car design these days. chris bangle's "flame surfacing" :jerkbag: design language in 2000s era bmws is a good example, and kinda started the trend this time around.

(i actually like the z4 a lot and think it is a particularly successful design; i just think the name "flame surfacing" is wanky)

sometimes designers go too far with it and the car ends up looking like it's already crunched.

however those aren't truly razor sharp creases. that would look weird and cut your hands and also sheet metal just doesn't bend that way. they have a tiny round over the edge, still maintaining g2 continuity through the whole thing, but with a very tight turn.

here is a true g0 crease beside a g2 surface that happens to have a tight radius at its peak.

car design trends are cyclical. sharp folded edges (80s mr2) give way to blobular shapes (90s taurus) then back to creases (z4) and now we're heading to an overall rounded trend again (current mazda 3). there are of course zillions of other trends that go in and out, like the size of wheels and tires, amount of chrome, size of windows, headlights, etc but the round <-> sharp thing is fairly predictable

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 26, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the current suzuki jimney is a fuckin cool car design. but totally stealing that “aerodynamics is for poor people” aesthetic of those mercedes 4wds

wanna run my hands over those g2s

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

(i actually like the z4 a lot and think it is a particularly successful design; i just think the name "flame surfacing" is wanky)

i don't like them overall irl, where they just seem overly large and bulbous for the kind of roadster look (probably mostly a matter of a classic tiny roadster being almost impossible to build legally), but the lines on the side are absolutely gorgeous.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aaah so the profile I was mentioning blender uses is a superellipse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superellipse

as far as the wikipedia article goes, what blender calls profile 0.5, the article uses factor n=2

so.. I wonder if can achieve g2 with n>2? wouldnt have a clue to work out how high to make n before it does. will that have tangentially continuous curve? theoretically at leasy, disregarding having to reduce it to vertices/edges?

or maybe ultiamtely its different math that just wont, although im sure for practical purposes of making a render (not a product) can make it work

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 26, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm in the guts of prepping the car for texturing. I'm applying bevels, removing placeholder parts and fixing some god loving awful topology that's plaguing the car's body. I've got a long way to go before I'm gonna tinker with it in Substance painter but a quick update on some bits I've made progress with:

Some undead hunting paraphernalia in the back. The box contains holy hand grenades, silver bullets and spare stakes, there's some rope for all-purpose binding and a grappling hook ready to go. The phials on the back contain holy water which'll have an Emissive glow on them, empty ones will be transparent glass.

Miscellaneous objects littering the car. The brown tubes are scroll cases which contain missives, contracts and so on. An unfurled scroll rests on the edge of the passenger's side.

Closeup of a scroll because I thought it was cute :3:

The engine is, of course, completely nonsensical, but I think it looks pretty neat with the tubes in place. The top left tube leads to the exhaust, the middle one redirects to the steam vent system under the car and the yellow one will go to the fuel cap where holy water phials can be inserted.

I've also completely remade the front bumper to add something I wanted on the car in the beginning:

Deployable scythes, baby! These are probably the most mechanically shaky thing on the car so far so I'll see if I can't figure out a way to make them plausibly deploy from the driver's seat. I'm going to have the hands grasping the bumper assembly be connected with struts that look like skeleton bones :spooky:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

I've also completely remade the front bumper to add something I wanted on the car in the beginning:

Deployable scythes, baby! These are probably the most mechanically shaky thing on the car so far so I'll see if I can't figure out a way to make them plausibly deploy from the driver's seat. I'm going to have the hands grasping the bumper assembly be connected with struts that look like skeleton bones :spooky:

Not digging this, honestly.

-You had a good overall front end design going with this car, and the shape of this throws it off.
-Those hinges are tiny and would snap right off. The point where the blades connect would bend way to easily. If you beef up the hinges, you have to give them some springloaded give towards the back of the car (like the hinges on eyeglasses), or the energy from impact could do damage to the car or throw it off course.
-Assuming full functionality, it does nothing for directly in front of the car. (unless that bumper edge is actually fully sharp.) Your area of effect here is a couple feet off of either side. Would require some careful maneuvering to even come into play.
-Even then, you're only hitting the shins at the highest. Enough to slow a zombie, sure. But not a para-lethal blow. Any sort of intelligent being is going to be to avoid this with even a modest dodge or hop.
-Having undead gore spraying around isn't the best thing if you're dealing with infectious types.
-Undead don't typically bleed anyhow, so if you don't outright sever a limb, you're not getting any effect from pain or blood loss. I'm just going by Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 experience here, but typically blunt weapons are favored against undead for their bone fracturing potential.
-The mechanical linkages needed to deploy and retract these things is going to be involved enough that you may as well go whole hog with some kind of power tool weapon.
It's a cool idea and all, but the original bumper could actually be more practical here.

You've pretty beefy wheel rims on this thing, might be some room for some retractable ben-hur business in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frE9rXnaHpE

On another note, if those hooks in the trunk were just a smidge lower you could hang the shovel up across them.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 27, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Boudica wheel spikes are an idea I've considered, absolutely. I'll reconsider the front bumper, mostly I've been on a tear with the front end of the car because it was the earliest part of the project, much of it being a low poly nurbsy mess, so it felt good to get rid of the old bumper which I kind of threw on to get an idea of the body shape I wanted.
You're probably right, sometimes less is more v:v:v

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

im trying to steal this but i cant work out how to make that 'Length' node in the middle?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

maxe posted:

im trying to steal this but i cant work out how to make that 'Length' node in the middle?

its a vector math node :) shift+a->n->v

question: are the crosses supposed to be upside down when the headlight covers are flipped up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

maxe posted:

also here's what I ended up with to flatten the bottom (more cloud-like)